Chanel Gabrielle

2.6

on 9/7/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

My husband, who complains incessantly about perfume, COMPLIMENTS Gabrielle. He loves this one! After trying this on skin from a tester, then carrying around for a day a paper strip generously soaked with Gabrielle, I didn't buy it. I thought I couldn't smell it. I thought it seemed slightly weak and slightly generic. I woke up this morning and noticed the most beautiful scent in the air. I followed my nose straight to the test strip that was still in my bag. Then when I was dressing, that glorious aroma wafted from my hamper...yesterday's clothing had absorbed the fragrance when I'd sprayed it on my arms. I don't know what happened, but overnight this magically transformed into what I'd hoped it would be. Give this one some time! And don't try to find the fragrance....let it come to you. I swear this is engineered in some special way that when you "try" to smell it, it is vague, but then when you're not thinking about it, you "sense" it... like another part of the brain is tapping into the nasal passages. Two other fragrances that have this ultra-light, sheer, haunting quality are No. 5 L'eau and Florabotanica. After one test I'm thinking the new Gucci Bloom has this quality as well, and it fascinates me. So an hour ago I bought a bottle of Gabrielle and happily doused myself with it, in my car. You know how spraying fragrance in your car, with windows closed, is generally a bad idea? (I think I have brain stem burns from my sister and Angel). Gabrielle is like a soft, warm wind. There's no sharpness, and no overwhelming assault of fragrance chemicals and alcohol. I am in Phoenix, and it is 103 degrees as I sit here writing this. Gabrielle smells magical in a hot car, and ethereal as the air conditioning kicks in. I feel like scent is glowing from me, but if I sniff my arms, I don't detect any concentration of notes. In fact, Gabrielle smells much more nuanced and interesting when my nose is far from my arms. The fragrance softly floats in the air and its personality is revealed in layers. There is definitely a memory of Coco Mlle here, and a tiny hint here and there of No. 5 l'eau, but overall Gabrielle does come across as an imaginary flower. I am so used to aldehydes and patchouli in Chanels that I'm tempted to think this doesn't seem like a Chanel...and then it suddenly calls to mind other Chanels. It's incredible! Don't abandon Gabrielle too quickly. Give her some time to become the modern, interesting and lovely fragrance that she can be.

on 9/9/2017 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

For me one of the best Chanel fragrances. I remember my mom wearing No. 5 when I was a kid. I always wanted to be able to enjoy a Chanel fragrance but, none ever did anything for me. This one is really great. Pricey but, worth it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Absolutely one of the most politely vile perfumes I have ever worn. Not quite a scrubber, but I wanted off my skin.

It opens with a huffy smell that I have only smelled in ethnic grocery store laundry soap aisles: it was powdery, chemical and powerfully but abstractly floral. It stayed that way for a long time and then after an hour it began to smell merely of a fragrance base and rather like someone who pretends to be rich, all the while racking up credit card debt.

In defense of this ghastly juice, I will say that it has a gorgeous bottle (five years it took for them to get the glass that thin and concave. I think they ought to have spent it on the juice, but the bottle is really pretty), is skillfully blended in the classic Chanel style to create a floral in which there is no discernible bloom, and lasts (too long - by perhaps this is your future signature scent and that's a plus for you). It did not strike me as a fragrance that will frighten the horses, but I want it nowhere near me.

on 9/16/2017 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Beautiful packaging -- the bottle is gorgeous -- but the perfume is a real disappointment, especially at the $105 price tag. Has barely any sillage. It was gone within the first thirty minutes of applying, no lasting smell, no trace at all. Gabrielle is an ideal work fragrance: it will offend no one, but also has no personality or distinctiveness.

on 9/26/2017 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Fragrance only lasted a about 2 hours but did like the scent.
This would be a nice spring/summer scent.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm soo surprised at these reviews. Yes, its not the longest lasting fragrance but it smells soo good. Not very sweet but a sparkling floral. The bottle is gorgeous, just wish the 1.7oz looked more substantial in size. It looks like a deluxe mini, so jump for the 3.4oz if its a gift.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Amazing, beautiful fragrance that lasts a long time wearing.

HOWEVER, I do think this scent, although wonderful, is for a more mature woman - it's not a girly scent

on 10/9/2017 7:46:00 PM

My husband loved it when I first sprayed it on. I liked it too but it didn't seem special. I think I have body washes that smell similar. The scent had zero staying power on me at least. It was gone within the hour. I hate the packaging too.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Was very disappointed. Not a classic Chanel scent. It smells like a weak flowery toilet spray. I love all chanel makeup and most of their scents. If I feel that its just not for me I would say, but really this is just wrong.

It also has absolutely 0 lasting power - 1 or 2 hours max. Coco on the other hand lasts all day and the next morning until I shower.

on 10/17/2017 9:57:00 AM

What a bust! I was eagerly awaiting this thinking it's going to be great and it's anything but. It's not a nice scent in any way and it lasts only for about 1 hour making it seem like it's a cheap drugstore scent rather than a high end product. Not recommended.

Popular Fragrances