MAC Rollerwheel Liquid Liner

MAC Rollerwheel Liquid Liner

4.7

on 9/23/2017 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this for the first time today and I am very impressed! This rollerwheel liner is a first of its kind for me, and I didn't have too much of a problem with it right out of the box. I typically use pencils or gel eyeliner on my upper lash line because liquid liners tend to 'skip' on older eyelids, but this roller wheel ran pretty smoothly along my lashline. I was able to line quickly while achieving a crisp, thin, line. My eyes were not too watery today (sometimes they are due to allergies), so my liner stayed put and didn't smudge or fade. I got this liner in the Shiny Black color, which was not really what I wanted. Everywhere I looked, the matte black was sold out. I wanted to try this rollerwheel liner, so I had no choice but to purchase the Shiny Black. At my age, I prefer something matte around my eyes, so I lightly penciled over the shiny black line with a matte brown eyeliner pencil and it instantly eliminated the shine effect. If I could get this in the matte black, I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

#awesome !! I have bought this 4X....1 in Matte black & 3 in Shiny black. I got the Matte black first I loved it so I decided I should add Shiny black to my collex. Then I lost the Shiny black so I reordered 2 more (1 as a spare) mainly Shiny black because they were sold out of Matte black & to me it doesn't really matter as long as it's "really black" && both are "true" black not fading to green nor ending being blueish. I, too, saw the Tati video too anyone who has been "doing this for a 'minute'" who can't master this isn't very skillful no offense. My skills are below average & im able to get a wing easily w this. It took a little experience/experimentation but I use it daily w no issues except that it's not truly waterproof. I agree w the first review if you need waterproof get MAC Liquidlast that is the most waterproof liquid liner I've ever tried. So much more convenient than a pot w a brush too ITA! Don't fear this--it's quite easily mastered w practice just like all liquid eyeliners. It's amazing my #1 ride-or-die eyeliner (Liquidlast 2nd!!!) 10/10!! #WINNING #DOWNTOWNTRIPLECROWN !! #loveit <3

on 8/28/2017 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I saw YouTubers struggle with this “Pizza Cutter” liner but that didn’t deter me. As soon as this gimmicky gadget was available, I ordered it in “On a Roll Black,” a matte black, and “Rollerwheel Brown.” Lorac’s liquid pen used to fade to a greenish teal on my lashline by the end of the day. I am so glad that “On a Roll Black” doesn’t fade.

To my relief, Rollerwheel wasn’t nearly as tricky as I expected. On my first try, it didn’t take long to line my eyes and I was even able to tight-line the top lid. There was only a slight learning curve. I’m accustomed to lining with a brush and the spinning disc requires less pressure. It is less flexible than brush bristles so it doesn’t bend like the tip of a brush does. So roll instead of drag.

There is a wiper with several slits in the shape of an asterisk. Yet each time I take it out of the base, I run the wheel along the back of my hand, just a little, because there always seems to be a little blob when I first set it down. After that I get a nice even line rolling across the skin.

It’s actually comfortable to use and the wheel is tiny for precision. It might tickle if you’re not used to lining your eyes but I’m so accustomed to eyeliner that I’m beyond flinching. Just allow a few extra minutes if you’ve never tried it before. It’s not the sort of thing you want to fiddle with for the very first time on your wedding day, but with a little practice it can be mastered.

Rollerwheel can create a thinner line than most brushes or felt tips on the market. You can also make a thicker line or a bold, dramatic wing. I like to draw a narrow line with a subtle kitten flick and the tiny wheel is great for that. Pulling the skin taut helps you get a clean line.

Rollerwheel’s ink dries relatively quickly but you can correct with a wet Q-tip if you need to. I wish MAC hadn’t made the “waterproof” claim for Rollerwheel because it’s not really true. It can rub off when wet. Even if you’ve used primer.

PROS:

1. The tiny disc allows you to make a very thin line or build to a much thicker one.
2. It’s precise enough for tight-lining.
3. Doesn’t irritate my eyes.
4. The disc will never fray or splay, unlike some felt tips and brush applicators.
5. I might be in the minority but I don’t think it’s difficult to learn.
6. It comes off easily when I wash my face or use a MAC wipe.
7. The container is portable – much more purse-friendly than a gel liner in a glass pot with a brush.
8. I haven’t had any trouble with it transferring above my crease. If my skin stays dry, Rollerwheel lasts on my lashline without fading.
9. Available in four shades: matte black, shiny black, dark brown, and bright royal blue.
10. The brown color works great in a very thin line on the lower lashline (not the waterline). It doesn’t smudge under my eyes. (Many pencils do.)

CON:

Rollerwheel isn’t really waterproof. I have allergies and sometimes my eyes water. If the inner corner of my eyelid gets wet, the ink can run. If you need a waterproof liner, buy MAC Liquidlast instead – I have worn it swimming.

Some people like to line their waterline and I wouldn’t trust Rollerwheel to survive there. For the waterline I would use Charlotte Tilbury’s Rock ‘n Kohl pencil or the gel pencil side of Tarteist Double Take Eyeliner.

Summary:

Rollerwheel wasn’t too challenging fresh out of the box. The tiny wheel feels different than a brush or felt tip. MAC calls it “training wheels” for your eyeliner but I’m still faster with my Shu Uemura 2R brush. This wasn’t a time-saver for me but it’s worth learning to use Rollerwheel if you want a very thin line. The matte black color is my favorite.

The only caveat is that Rollerwheel’s ink is unlikely to survive a crying jag. This won’t be a deal breaker for most people because it holds up as well as various liquid liner pens available at Sephora. Rollerwheel’s packaging is small and convenient so you can take it with you for touch-ups. But if you have an overactive tear duct and need your liner to stay intact, MAC Liquidlast is the one to buy.