Yves Saint Laurent All Hours Full Coverage Matte Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Combination

3.4

All Hours is the first foundation from YSL which I have ever tried, and I am extremely impressed. Whilst I never wear foundation for 24 hours, I have worn this for around 10-12 hours each time I have worn it, and it always looks exceptional at the end of the day. It doesn’t fade, seperate or smudge throughout the day, it simply remains looking fresh. Some of my natural oils do appear, but not enough to justify re-powdering. I think it is great wear time! I find this foundation applies best with a damp beauty blender, and a little goes a long way. It is buildable, and definitely a medium-full coverage. It still never looks cakey or mask-like on the skin, it truly just makes your skin look like itself - just better. It is a matte finish, but is not drying. It doesn’t tend to crack or sink into lines or pores like other matte foundations can. I get a lot of compliments on my skin when wearing this foundation, it just looks so flawless and healthy. I love this foundation and would highly recommend it.

Overpriced and overrated. It's just an okay product. For a whopping $54, you get 0.84 oz/25 mL of product. It comes in a fancy glass bottle with a black pump and totally looks luxe. This does contain an SPF of 20 and comes in 33 shades. I picked up the shade BD35/Warm Caramel, which is described as a light/medium with a golden undertone. This foundation unfortunately has a light, floral scent that I dislike. The smell dissipates as you blend the foundation into your skin, but I am not a fan of anything floral-scented. I have an oily/combination skin type that tends to get oily in the t-zone and dry around the nose.

Coverage: Medium, but can be built to full coverage. I find it to look a bit cakey when it is built, and I use very little foundation when I do my make-up normally.

Lasting power: Claims to be 24 hours, but it rubs off throughout the day and lasts about ten hours max on me.

How it feels: My skin actually looks quite dry when I use this. I sometimes put an oil primer underneath and mix it with a moisturizing foundation to make it less drying. It also feels heavy for something that isn't full coverage.

Overall, I do not recommend this for dryer skin types. Be careful if you have dry undereyes as well! I won't be repurchasing because my drugstore foundations perform better than this one, and I've only ever loved the Estee Lauder Double Wear when it comes to high-end foundation. The formula for this All Hours foundation does not match the hefty pricetag. It looks okay on my skin and does what it's supposed to, but I want it to look incredible.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

In the quest for a full coverage and long-lasting foundation, I tried this one. Sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations. The coverage was nowhere to be "full" as its huge claim, even when i built it up continuously to conceal my dark spots. It's buildable, but the coverage you get is still light to medium.
Another problem with this foundation was the way it sat on my skin throughout the day. The longevity was fine, you get 5-8 hours of makeup with it, with RCMA powder or Laura Mercier setting one on and all that (otherwise, it got worse, believe me). Definitely not impressive at all, especially with "all hours" claim. But it just sat on my skin, it didn't sink into my skin; and as the day went on, it started to turn funny. After about 4-5 hours, my skin felt drier and drier, the foundation became more greasy and dull and separate from my skin. Everytime i wore it, i had to wipe it off because it just looked so bad LOL.
Then I read the ingredient list and I wasn't happy at all that alcohol denat was the third in this formula. I strongly do not recommend this one on textured/dehydrated skin, like me. By the way, this foundation is nothing but below-average one and certainly not worth your precious dollars on it.
now, i'm crying.

Look, before I even start the review: I am 28 years old, barely have any fine lines, have very minimal texture on my skin, and my pores aren't the kind that need a pore-filling primer. My skin type is combination to dry. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that my review may not be helpful if you struggle with any of the problems I don't struggle with (yet).

Things I do struggle with: mild pigmentation around the mouth area, some dry patches around my chin from using Retin-A, a couple of dark scars from spots I had a couple of months ago.

Now the review: I LOVED this foundation. Loved, loved, loved it. I got matched BD 35, which is a pretty good shade for my light olive skintone. If I'm nitpicking, I'd say it pulls slightly yellow on me, but it's really not obvious. Also, I'm not a full-coverage kinda gal but I still loved this foundation because once it goes on top of my skincare, it doesn't exactly sheer out really, but it does still look like skin. Another thing I really liked about it was that it fades away really prettily: when my skin becomes slightly oilier as the day goes on, the foundation doesn't cake or break on my face, but mixes in with my natural oils to become a bit more dewy instead. I prefer a dewy finish, so that's a win-win. It doesn't cake or crease, doesn't budge, other products sit on top of it beautifully, and builds up on itself very nicely.

However, I gave this four lipsticks because I do think that people with dry skin would hate this foundation. The dry patches on my chin I wrote about earlier? Yeah, this emphasises those a fair bit. So, to sort of remedy that because I really do love this on the rest on my face, I mixed it in with a bit of Luminous Silk by Giorgio Armani and that really helped matters. Didn't fix it, but helped.

Last few details: I use one pump for my entire face and it covered everything for me. Feels very comfortable on the skin. Didn't feel or look like a mask. Went on best with my fingers in downwards strokes, but goes on well with a beauty blender too. Covers mild pigmentation beautifully. I am absolutely sold on this product and I will absolutely buy it again when I run out.

This is a life saver for me. I live in sunny & very humid Asia. Im a mac nc30 and using BD40 which matches my skintone perfectly.

It doesnt cake or gets patchy after 8 hours of wear in 32 degree celcius! I tried half my face Estee Lauder longwear & this. Both stayed but EL got cakey toward e end of the day.

I do use it with the latest ysl instant moisture glow as a primer. This combo makes my face luminous and very natural. Its more for a everyday look.

I wont be looking at other brands. Seriously!

The YSL counter manager at Bloomingdales insisted that I try All Hours, saying it was superior to anything else on the market. She kindly matched me and made a sample for me, even though I told her I never had much luck with YSL foundation.

About my skin: Late 30s, with some hyperpigmentation, large pores around the nose, and oily t-zone, and dry cheeks, slightly sensitive and prone to eczema.

I was matched to BD40, which is slightly darker than I usually wear in YSL (am a BD25 in the Teint Eclat), so I suspect that All Hours runs a tad lighter. The scent is the typical cucumber-melon-floral that YSL likes to use. It does fade away after application, but do beware if you are sensitive to scents.

The texture is very light and runny. Compared to EL Double Wear, it is definitely more watery feeling. The finish is a demi-matte/satin. I did not powder on top, and felt it had a pretty skin-like finish.

However, unfortunately, this sank into every single pore on my nose. And I also got crazy oil breakthrough in the t-zone. So sad.

I would say give this a shot if you don’t have big pores or have an effective pore filler you can use, and also if your skin is a bit on the drier side. Unfortunately for me, this will not be a full-size purchase, and I will stick to my Armani and Dior for high-end.

Edit: Hmm after more than a week's use, I'm liking this more with every use for some reason. The creamy finish (makes my thin skin look thicker in a good way), and the fact that the bright colour doesn't darken or fade on me makes it quite enjoyable to use on long work days. I'm upgrading this to 4 lippies.
This proves it...I'm just gonna buy everything hotandflashy says is holy grail hehe^^ (no affiliation whatsoever!!)
------

Long story short..I'm afraid I don't find it to be anything special for me unfortunately.

I have combo Asian skin (dry on surface but slightly oily under the surface) with large pores and lots of texture.
BTW I got the universally recommended shade in Korea, which is the neutral B20 (similar to Chanel velvet lumiere shade 10, and the Korean standard shade of 21)

Anything with "BR" stands for beige rose, which means it has a pinkish undertone. Anything with "BD" means it has a yellowish undertone, apparently ->not 100% sure on this though cuz the BD shade range is not available in Korea at all for some reason)
Plain B stands for neutral.

Pros:
1. Minimal darkening, maintains original colour for at least 8 hours plus (perhaps due to dryish skin type).
2. Gives thin blotchy skin a bit of a thicker (in a good sense I mean) waxier look on the surface ->you know how sometimes
if you nap with your foundation on your skin looks really smooth and waxy/creamy (??but in a good way) when you wake up?
I think this foundation has that effect without the napping of course, after mingling with your skin's natural oils (1 hour or so)
3. Is quite a thick formulation but doesn't feel that thick. Not as matte as name suggests (can be used by dry skin types too)
4. Has an underlying glow that makes dry skin look softer and a bit better, especially at around hour 1-2.

Cons:
1. Accentuates pores and rough surface texture....yes its true folks. Porefessional helps but compared to my best picks
- i.e. the Chanel velvet lumiere or the Sisley foundation which covers pores without requiring anything extra at all - falls short.
2. Looks like you have makeup on for sure. Feels like a very old school foundation formulation. I prefer thinner, runnier ones.
3. Price...is it that great? Not sure (it feels very similar to Armani's lasting silk foundation, including med coverage and pore accentuating)
4. Has underlying glow that can make even dry skins look greasy at around hour 4.
5. Cucumber-like scent, which I don't like too much but it doesn't last so no big deal.

Conclusion: Hmm...it's ok but unfortunately not very special in any way.
I'll keep on using it occasionally of course (no return policy boohoo) but while avoiding my porous zones for sure.

(ps. Hmm...I sort of knew in my heart that I probably wouldn't really love this foundation, but hotandflashy on youtube who I really find trustworthy said it was a holy grail, and since I really love her original holy grail the Chanel velvet lumiere, I just kept thinking I wanted to try this out...I knew despite my misgivings I'd end up getting this one way or the other. I wish I could say I love this!)

This didn't do anything special for my combination, older (46 yrs) skin. I'm an nc15 and the closest match was BR20 which I thought was still off. I was surprised it wasn't full coverage given the longwearing claim. Armani lasting silk is similar regarding alcohol but delivers a nicer finish.

Meh. Not long lasting. Not matte. It`s just okay. I actually regret spending my money on this.For a few dollars more, or even a few dollars less I could`ve had one of my lovely Japanese foundations which I`ve been relying on through the years. Heard some You Tuber blabbing about how great this wore on her skin and (first and last time I will do this) decided to try a Western brand for once. Meh. Not worse the money.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. I bought this from Selfridge in the UK because I just couldn't wait until it launches in Australia. I was going to get BD40 but for unknown reason I picked B40 which is neutral undertone. It's actually not bad. It leans more on the yellow side than Nuetral side. I thought if it's good then I will purchase the right shade. It is now available in Australia. Despite this looking ashy upon application, after an hour or two it actually oxidises on the right shade for me. My friend got BD40 and I tried hers, it matches almost on my NC30-NC35 but then it oxidises orange on me. Reminds me a lot of the Maybelline Matte+Poreless to be honest with oxidising part on me anyway. My friend actually ended up buying the B40 instead because to be honest it is actually a better shade for some reason.

This is not Matte for me. There is nothing Matte or All Hours about it. I am very confused. However I actually like the satin finish a lot. This applies very nicely. I actually love the formula. Easy to work with, the finish is very nice. It's a solid medium on me, buildable without cakeing but very greasy feeling. Not full coverage in any way, shape or form even. This just makes my skin looks healthy, I don't find it to settle on my pores or fine lines or cling on dry patches or excentuates textures. It is very flattering. Brush or Sponge works nicely and it gives a very flattering finish. HOWEVER, I have to set this with powder everytime for a couple of reasons.

1. It does not dry down on me and I don't know why.
2. Because it doesn't last 3hrs on my combo skin if I don't.
3. It's Sticky/ Tacky and any blush, contour, bronzing powder I put on top is patchy and hard to blend. No issues if I set it with powder first.

This is not long lasting. I do love the finish but it breakdown pretty badly during the day. I have to spray a Mattifying Setting Spray (Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day) before applying this foundation to help with longevity. This doesn't stand the test of time of 12hrs which is a normal wear time for me. So I'm not sure what is up with the 24hr claim.

This has a very strong scent. I'm not here for it because it broke me out. I'm not sure if it's the scent or the alcohol ingredient in it which is very disappointing. The scent have stayed on my brush and beauty blender even after cleaning them. When I use this, everything smells like this foundation ahahaha.

I'm a combo skin, with problematic medication flare up acnes and hyperpigmentation. This unfortunately goes down after 3-4hrs. It's a beautiful finish but I find myself blotting more than I would with other foundation that I have which are not even Matte. My honest score will be 2.5 but the scoring system won't let me so I have it a 3 and that is being very generous. It didn't hit the mark for me. If you are in a position to get a sample, do that first before committing in purchasing one. This foundation will suite me more on once a week basis most probably during the weekend when I just drive my kids around to their extra curricular activities or if you are just going to a lunch or dinner (3-4hrs) tops. I will still use it because I paid a lot of money for it and like I said the finish is beautiful but because of the scent, alcohol and longevity it is not worth repurchasing.