Yves Saint Laurent All Hours Full Coverage Matte Foundation

3.2

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. I bought this from Selfridge in the UK because I just couldn't wait until it launches in Australia. I was going to get BD40 but for unknown reason I picked B40 which is neutral undertone. It's actually not bad. It leans more on the yellow side than Nuetral side. I thought if it's good then I will purchase the right shade. It is now available in Australia. Despite this looking ashy upon application, after an hour or two it actually oxidises on the right shade for me. My friend got BD40 and I tried hers, it matches almost on my NC30-NC35 but then it oxidises orange on me. Reminds me a lot of the Maybelline Matte+Poreless to be honest with oxidising part on me anyway. My friend actually ended up buying the B40 instead because to be honest it is actually a better shade for some reason.

This is not Matte for me. There is nothing Matte or All Hours about it. I am very confused. However I actually like the satin finish a lot. This applies very nicely. I actually love the formula. Easy to work with, the finish is very nice. It's a solid medium on me, buildable without cakeing but very greasy feeling. Not full coverage in any way, shape or form even. This just makes my skin looks healthy, I don't find it to settle on my pores or fine lines or cling on dry patches or excentuates textures. It is very flattering. Brush or Sponge works nicely and it gives a very flattering finish. HOWEVER, I have to set this with powder everytime for a couple of reasons.

1. It does not dry down on me and I don't know why.
2. Because it doesn't last 3hrs on my combo skin if I don't.
3. It's Sticky/ Tacky and any blush, contour, bronzing powder I put on top is patchy and hard to blend. No issues if I set it with powder first.

This is not long lasting. I do love the finish but it breakdown pretty badly during the day. I have to spray a Mattifying Setting Spray (Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day) before applying this foundation to help with longevity. This doesn't stand the test of time of 12hrs which is a normal wear time for me. So I'm not sure what is up with the 24hr claim.

This has a very strong scent. I'm not here for it because it broke me out. I'm not sure if it's the scent or the alcohol ingredient in it which is very disappointing. The scent have stayed on my brush and beauty blender even after cleaning them. When I use this, everything smells like this foundation ahahaha.

I'm a combo skin, with problematic medication flare up acnes and hyperpigmentation. This unfortunately goes down after 3-4hrs. It's a beautiful finish but I find myself blotting more than I would with other foundation that I have which are not even Matte. My honest score will be 2.5 but the scoring system won't let me so I have it a 3 and that is being very generous. It didn't hit the mark for me. If you are in a position to get a sample, do that first before committing in purchasing one. This foundation will suite me more on once a week basis most probably during the weekend when I just drive my kids around to their extra curricular activities or if you are just going to a lunch or dinner (3-4hrs) tops. I will still use it because I paid a lot of money for it and like I said the finish is beautiful but because of the scent, alcohol and longevity it is not worth repurchasing.

This is a very good, very expensive foundation. But it is no better than its close competitors, therefore its high price isn't justified. And the color range is... bad. Here are my annoyances:

1. I am amazed that YSL didn't provide this at the industry-accepted size of one ounce. Instead, .84 oz. Total ripoff. For that reason alone, I give it a pass. Shame on you greedy pigs, YSL.

2. The color range is not great. I'm a fair, rosy blonde (read: brown). I need a color that downplays my redness, but isn't too light. Not to be found here.

I'm really mad about the price. Instead I'll go with Dior Forever--a superb product.

Long story short..I'm afraid I don't find it to be anything special for me unfortunately.

I have combo Asian skin (dry on surface but slightly oily under the surface) with large pores and lots of texture.
BTW I got the universally recommended shade in Korea, which is the neutral B20 (similar to Chanel velvet lumiere shade 10, and the Korean standard shade of 21)

Anything with "BR" stands for beige rose, which means it has a pinkish undertone. Anything with "BD" means it has a yellowish undertone, apparently ->not 100% sure on this though cuz the BD shade range is not available in Korea at all for some reason)

Pros:
1. Minimal darkening, maintains original colour for at least 8 hours plus (perhaps due to dryish skin type).
2. Gives thin blotchy skin a bit of a thicker (in a good sense I mean) waxier look on the surface ->you know how sometimes
if you nap with your foundation on your skin looks really smooth and waxy/creamy (??but in a good way) when you wake up?
I think this foundation has that effect without the napping of course, after mingling with your skin's natural oils (1 hour or so)
3. Is quite a thick formulation but doesn't feel that thick. Not as matte as name suggests (can be used by dry skin types too)
4. Has an underlying glow that makes dry skin look softer and a bit better, especially at around hour 1-2.

Cons:
1. Accentuates pores and rough surface texture....yes its true folks. Porefessional helps but compared to my best picks
- i.e. the Chanel velvet lumiere or the Sisley foundation which covers pores without requiring anything extra at all - falls short.
2. Looks like you have makeup on for sure. Feels like a very old school foundation formulation. I prefer thinner, runnier ones.
3. Price...is it that great? Not sure (it feels very similar to Armani's lasting silk foundation, including med coverage and pore accentuating)
4. Has underlying glow that can make even dry skins look greasy at around hour 4.
5. Cucumber-like scent, which I don't like too much but it doesn't last so no big deal.

Conclusion: Hmm...it's ok but unfortunately not very special in any way.
I'll keep on using it occasionally of course (no return policy boohoo) but while avoiding my porous zones for sure.

(ps. Hmm...I sort of knew in my heart that I probably wouldn't really love this foundation, but hotandflashy on youtube who I really find trustworthy said it was a holy grail, and since I really love her original holy grail the Chanel velvet lumiere, I just kept thinking I wanted to try this out...I knew despite my misgivings I'd end up getting this one way or the other. I wish I could say I love this!)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This foundation is gorgeous and it didn't dry out my (dry) skin. However, when I realized that alcohol is the 3rd ingredient on the list, I couldn't endorse it anymore. I'm going to err on the side of caution when using any product with alcohol because of the research that shows it is terrible for skin even if it seems like your skin tolerates it well. It's possible I'm overreacting, but better safe than sorry.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I recently got this foundation at Sephora and I must say I am impressed with it except that it's quite expensive.

Here's my review:

Shade: I am between NC 20 to 25 in MAC (leaning to 25 right now during the summer months) and the shade BD35 Warm Caramel matches me perfectly. I made a mistake of purchasing BD30 Warm Almond and it was a bit light for me. I might get one for the winter.

Finish: This has a nice natural matte finish. It is not completely matte, almost satin finish. That's why I had to set this with my Chanel Universal Loose Powder and it mattifies it beautifully.

Skin Type: If you have dry flaky skin, better exfoliate. This has a powdery finish and will accentuate dry and flaky patches on your skin. Combo to Oily skin can wear this. Just have to use a mattifying primer for oily gals/guys or a hydrating primer if you are a bit dry.

Coverage: Medium buildable

Application: I use a beauty sponge for application and it looks air brushed.

Overall, it is a beautiful foundation. I suffer from scars (pit, box and rolling) and I find that using a smoothing primer (i.e. The Ordinary Blurring and Smoothing primer) helps a lot.

I think if you are a make-up junkie. This can be a nice addition to your collection. However, if you are looking for a nice everyday foundation, I believe you can get something with a lesser price tag.

I will def re-purchase.

Hope this helps!

Meh. Not long lasting. Not matte. It`s just okay. I actually regret spending my money on this.For a few dollars more, or even a few dollars less I could`ve had one of my lovely Japanese foundations which I`ve been relying on through the years. Heard some You Tuber blabbing about how great this wore on her skin and (first and last time I will do this) decided to try a Western brand for once. Meh. Not worse the money.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this foundation. It's thin in texture but the coverage is med-full. The colour range, if you are in the fair-med range is very good. I wear Warm Ivory BD20 and am about NC15.

It is very expensive but it's YSL so it's expected. I love how it smells like watermelon.

Definitely get a sample from Sephora and try this out before buying. I have dry-normal skin and I don't feel like it sits funny or that the matte finish irritates my skin at all.

With the Laura Mercier translucent powder overtop to set this is a perfect foundation.

Edit - I noticed that this did oxidize on me and made me have quite the yellow head, I wish there was a lighter yellow shade available, BD10 anyone? I thus lowered my original score of this, since it did not work so well for me personally, even though I love the foundation itself, just not for me.

This foundation reminds me of a nicer more luxe version of the Urban Decay All Nighter that everyone loved last summer and no one talks about anymore, it was also matte and full coverage, yet thin in texture. I went back to using that instead and love it all over, and the shade 1 suits me much better.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I love this! It goes to show how differently foundation can work on various skin types. This might be a case of a good product, but marketed and directed to the wrong consumers. It's not full coverage or matte on me, but is an awesome natural-finish foundation on my 30-something combo skin. It's a very skin-looking satiny finish that spreads evenly, looks youthful and doesn't settle into pores. Definitely NOT matte. But not shiny or glowy.

It lasts ALL day when other longwearing ones *cough Laura Mercier* are eaten up by my oil within two hours.

BR10 is a perfect shade for my very pale yellow skin. Oddly, B10 was much too dark. Minimal oxidization on me.

I'd say it's medium coverage with a satin finish. It works well applied with my fingers. I love the pump too.

I'm desperately hoping this wont break me out, since it's the best foundation I've tried in ages. So far so good.

UPDATE: So happy I found this. A few weeks in and no breakouts, which is very usual for me. I love this SO much now. It is the most natural-looking, longest-lasting and flattering foundation I've tried in years.
- It blends like a dream
-never settles into pores
-satiny, skin-like finish that never looks dull or greasy
-BR10 is an impressive match for my very pale yellow-toned skin, no orange oxidization
-transfer-resistant and still there at 11pm
-lovely pump bottle
-covers well while still looking natural

I still stand by my thoughts that this a stellar foundation, but marketed and targeted wrong. It is not matte. It's a wonderful product for my late-30s, combo, sensitive skin.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

This foundation has a beautiful finish with a medium coverage, but does not last "all hours" as it claims on my combo oily skin. It wears like a hydrating bb cream, and my blush and hightlighter are gone within a couple hours. Therefore, I cant reccomend it to anyone needing it to last, but I can recommend it for the finish and feel. This would work on dry skin. Im glad I just got a sample.

I have a tendency to ramble in my reviews but I will be short and to the point with this one...if your looking for a med to full cov foundation that will sit nicely on the skin and will NOT budge for at least 8 hours without setting spray and retouching then look no farther...this is a very nice foundation with a nice light sent (that notorious YSL sent) with nice packaging.
The o my thing I have found after a couple of months use is that you have to work quickly as this stuff sets fast! And I'm my personal opp I would def go with a beauty blender or damp sponge over a brush with this one...all around its a good foundation that will work for any skin except really dry skin...I feel that if you have dry skin this will look patchy...it is an oily girls foundation for sure! Get a sample and try it for yourself...it can't hurt to try!