Yves Saint Laurent All Hours Full Coverage Matte Foundation

3.3

this new ysl foundation is hardly a value (20% less product than a standard foundation bottle from ysl or pretty much any other brand) but it's also my favorite foundation that i've ever tried.

my skin is a sheet of grease and i've never seen oil control like this. my forehead might still get a bit shiny by the end of the day but nothing like the oil slick i've always been accustomed to. i'm noticing some of the worst reviews here are from people with dry skin - this product isn't for you lol

the packaging is nice enough but i don't like that the bottle is opaque. feels luxe but isn't practical in terms of seeing how much product is left.

i apply two pumps, one at a time, with my fingers, and then i even out with a beauty blender (i HATE beauty blenders but they're a necessary evil).

any smudging onto clothes or elsewhere is no different than most foundations

coverage is ok but i also have a lot of scarring and remains of old blemishes. i do love the shade selection; i'm very fair but require a deeper tone to help with coverage.

get a sample or try in-store before your purchase

Overpriced and overrated. It's just an okay product. For a whopping $54, you get 0.84 oz/25 mL of product. It comes in a fancy glass bottle with a black pump and totally looks luxe. This does contain an SPF of 20 and comes in 33 shades. I picked up the shade BD35/Warm Caramel, which is described as a light/medium with a golden undertone. This foundation unfortunately has a light, floral scent that I dislike. The smell dissipates as you blend the foundation into your skin, but I am not a fan of anything floral-scented. I have an oily/combination skin type that tends to get oily in the t-zone and dry around the nose.

Coverage: Medium, but can be built to full coverage. I find it to look a bit cakey when it is built, and I use very little foundation when I do my make-up normally.

Lasting power: Claims to be 24 hours, but it rubs off throughout the day and lasts about ten hours max on me.

How it feels: My skin actually looks quite dry when I use this. I sometimes put an oil primer underneath and mix it with a moisturizing foundation to make it less drying. It also feels heavy for something that isn't full coverage.

Overall, I do not recommend this for dryer skin types. Be careful if you have dry undereyes as well! I won't be repurchasing because my drugstore foundations perform better than this one, and I've only ever loved the Estee Lauder Double Wear when it comes to high-end foundation. The formula for this All Hours foundation does not match the hefty pricetag. It looks okay on my skin and does what it's supposed to, but I want it to look incredible.

Coverage is pretty nice, but you have to use small amount if you do not want to be looked cakey. The scent is nice. I don't recommend it to dry skin. Although I have normal skin, I slightly felt it was a bit drying. If you are dry to normal skin and has this foundation, make sure to put rich moisturizer on before applying the foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I got a sample of this to try. They gave me B20 which is a bit too light and the undertone is not warm enough. My go to is Chanel perfection lumiere velvet in B20, I’m about NC20. The texture of this foundation is a bit like paint - like applying physical sunscreen, it doesn’t want to blend with my skin, it sits on top. The coverage is medium and can be built up. The longevity is okay, I wore about 10 hours. My skin has become drier though as I age. I don’t know how this will fare with oily skin girls. I won’t buy this foundation because of how the texture sits on my skin and how it feels on my skin (light yet you can feel that you’re wearing one). For the price, this is not worth it for me.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I’ve tried soooooo many foundations before All Hours, and I have to say this is my HG!! My skin looks absolutely flawless with this on. Lasts all day, makes my pores look undectable. I can’t say enough good things about this foundation. It’s on the expensive side, but one of those products worth splurging on. A MUST TRY!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

UPDATE 10/04/2018: I will not repurchase this foundation even though I love the way it looks on my skin. I live in 9 months of summer and I am tired of this fussing formula. I have to blot all the time since I am oily. When I blot my foundation comes off and by the end of the day, way do I spend this kind of money when I end up with no foundation. If you live in cooler temperatures this might be your holy grail. If you have dry skin, this might be your holy grail.

ORIGINAL: I thought this was going to be my holy grail foundation after 20 years of wearing Estee Lauder Double wear. It is not, but I am now on my second bottle. Let me tell you why I repurchased:

1. Does not settle into pores
2. Does not settle into fine lines and wrinkles
3. Able to find a color match perfectly even after oxidation.
4. Makes skin look flawless and youthful
5. Full coverage if using a brush
6. Light weight on the skin

Cons:
1. Is not 24 hour wear foundation. Barely 4 hours, I am oily
2. Transfers to everything even with setting powder.
3. Does not control oil even with mattifying primer and setting powder
4. Expensive and not even 1 oz.

This has a very light scent that is very fresh and does not irritate my skin. This does not settle into my pores and/or wrinkles even without a primer. I used wet sponge first and this just got soaked into the sponge. For the price of this foundation, I recommend using a brush. I also get better coverage using the brush, almost full coverage without looking heavy.

I am oily, so I struggled to find a primer to control the oil and not have foundation shiny midday. Dr Brandt pores no more has been the best to keep me matte, but oils still break through.

I am color Bd40 which has nice yellow undertone. This does oxidize 1/2 shade darker. Make sure to shake the bottle before applying.

I have tried match YSL primer, that helps with pores, but not for keeping me matte.

I get so many compliments on my skin when I wear this foundation. It looks great for the first 4 hours and then the oils really start to come through. I live in Texas and this is mostly testing in summer where humidity is 60% and higher with temperatures way over 95, multiple days over 101.

I will keep this for winter. I recently discovered Smashbox foundation and mixing these together for summer use has prolonged the wear.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

In the quest for a full coverage and long-lasting foundation, I tried this one. Sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations. The coverage was nowhere to be "full" as its huge claim, even when i built it up continuously to conceal my dark spots. It's buildable, but the coverage you get is still light to medium.
Another problem with this foundation was the way it sat on my skin throughout the day. The longevity was fine, you get 5-8 hours of makeup with it, with RCMA powder or Laura Mercier setting one on and all that (otherwise, it got worse, believe me). Definitely not impressive at all, especially with "all hours" claim. But it just sat on my skin, it didn't sink into my skin; and as the day went on, it started to turn funny. After about 4-5 hours, my skin felt drier and drier, the foundation became more greasy and dull and separate from my skin. Everytime i wore it, i had to wipe it off because it just looked so bad LOL.
Then I read the ingredient list and I wasn't happy at all that alcohol denat was the third in this formula. I strongly do not recommend this one on textured/dehydrated skin, like me. By the way, this foundation is nothing but below-average one and certainly not worth your precious dollars on it.
now, i'm crying.

I am about NC35, combo-dry skin which leans dryer in the winter but in the summer i get shiny in the Tzone (mostly nose and sides of nose). I have tried this in the shade B50 and BD50 which probably is a touch too dark as it tends to darken a little as time goes on. The texture of this is very strange. It feels very thick and almost like paint or spackle. Very 'dense' almost like a mousse. It applies well with a BB or a brush. It feels very heavy on my skin, and you can definitely feel this foundation on your skin and my skin felt dryer as the day went on. It felt tacky as well like it never fully dried down and looked a little too shiny in pictures. The scent is also very strong and doesn't really dissipate. It is too $$$ for what it is and the cons of the smell, feeling it on the skin, the finish not being great doesn't make it worth the money.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

As a foundation this is about as basic as you get. A natural somewhat matte somewhat velvet finish, medium coverage that needs concealer that lasts for hours without letting (too much) oil seep through or breaking apart.

Is it worth the price? Absolutely not.

I wouldn't recommend this if you're looking for a foundation for problematic skin or if you want coverage at all. Especially if you're venturing into the world of luxury foundation DO NOT buy this. It will give you the wrong impression of what that is supposed to perform like. Go for Armani lsf if you want a medium coverage with a nice finish (beautiful finish acrually) go for the remarcable if full coverage super matte is what you want. I am going to go and say this was a disappointment mainly due to the price tag. No one shelling out that kind of money should have a product that performs like this. If this was 50 dollars that would make sense. But its a lot more than that and I'm kind of mad. Lol.
Save your money and buy the mufe hd if you love how this performs. I think they're pretty much identical.

Look, before I even start the review: I am 28 years old, barely have any fine lines, have very minimal texture on my skin, and my pores aren't the kind that need a pore-filling primer. My skin type is combination to dry. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that my review may not be helpful if you struggle with any of the problems I don't struggle with (yet).

Things I do struggle with: mild pigmentation around the mouth area, some dry patches around my chin from using Retin-A, a couple of dark scars from spots I had a couple of months ago.

Now the review: I LOVED this foundation. Loved, loved, loved it. I got matched BD 35, which is a pretty good shade for my light olive skintone. If I'm nitpicking, I'd say it pulls slightly yellow on me, but it's really not obvious. Also, I'm not a full-coverage kinda gal but I still loved this foundation because once it goes on top of my skincare, it doesn't exactly sheer out really, but it does still look like skin. Another thing I really liked about it was that it fades away really prettily: when my skin becomes slightly oilier as the day goes on, the foundation doesn't cake or break on my face, but mixes in with my natural oils to become a bit more dewy instead. I prefer a dewy finish, so that's a win-win. It doesn't cake or crease, doesn't budge, other products sit on top of it beautifully, and builds up on itself very nicely.

However, I gave this four lipsticks because I do think that people with dry skin would hate this foundation. The dry patches on my chin I wrote about earlier? Yeah, this emphasises those a fair bit. So, to sort of remedy that because I really do love this on the rest on my face, I mixed it in with a bit of Luminous Silk by Giorgio Armani and that really helped matters. Didn't fix it, but helped.

Last few details: I use one pump for my entire face and it covered everything for me. Feels very comfortable on the skin. Didn't feel or look like a mask. Went on best with my fingers in downwards strokes, but goes on well with a beauty blender too. Covers mild pigmentation beautifully. I am absolutely sold on this product and I will absolutely buy it again when I run out.