MAC Cosmetics Bold & Bad Lash Mascara

MAC Cosmetics Bold & Bad Lash Mascara

3.3

on 2/28/2018 3:18:00 PM

It is not the best mascara I have ever owned but it is not the worst mascara. Actually, it is a quite good mascara, but I don't love it enough to re-buy. The bottom lash is not waterproof, it smudges a bit and it clumps. The top lash stays where it is supposed to be, but it doesn't build too much volume. Don't expect any boldness or badness out this product - it is OK for a natural look and that is it. Oh, and it completely dried after a few weeks.

I got this as a Select member after spending a certain amount. Probably would not have bought it on my own (given my lack of good experiences with MAC mascaras in the past) but this is a great mascara. I LOVE the mini brush for bottom lashes (also great for the very inner corner lashes). The regular brush is really good, too. The mascara is the perfect consistency, a bit liquidy, which is perfect for application. It is very dark and very lengthening. Doesn't do much for volume, but I use a coat of Benefit Bag Gal Lash first, which I think is a good complement. This one makes my lashes SO long but I do have to use a curler after. Probably wouldn't buy again because I prefer DiorShow but it's surprising for a MAC Mascara and I'm impressed.

on 11/18/2017 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Decent mascara but dried out after a few weeks. Good volume and lengthening and didn’t flake.

on 8/16/2017 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'll start with the packaging. The tube is silver with red and black caps. The black font is graffiti style, sort of like Michael Jackson's "Bad" album cover from the eighties. The writing is raised like Braille. The cost is $23 but it’s a two-in-one product, so you are getting two different wands and formulas in one cylinder. The larger, bushier brush is meant for the top lashes and the skinny wand is for the bottom lashes.

PROS:

Doesn’t clump.
Doesn’t smear or smudge during an average work day.
Can be recycled through MAC’s Back2MAC program.
With the little skinny wand you can easily coat the bottom lashes without making a mess.
With the top wand you can make the top lashes somewhat thicker and longer.

CONS:

It’s called “Bold and Bad Lash,” but my results have not been bold. Lancome’s Monsieur Mascara is blacker, more voluminous, and does a better job of extending the length. Bold and Bad Lash isn’t bad. It gives me a natural, clump-free look and it is a good mascara to wear to work. It just doesn’t live up to the “bold” moniker.

When I purchased this, the MAC SA told me that the bottom lash formula was waterproof. It isn’t. If I tear up and rub my eye, it will smear and come off.

It doesn’t hold a curl as well as Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes or Urban Decay Cannonball.

I prefer the IT Cosmetics Tightline primer and mascara to the bottom lash mascara housed in MAC’s tube.

There is fragrance in it, something that people with sensitive eyes frequently avoid.

The Verdict:

This certainly isn’t the worst mascara I’ve had from MAC, but I won’t buy it again because I've found better options in other brands. I was excited about this two-in-one product but I didn’t love either mascara.