Kylie Cosmetics The Birthday Collection: I Want It All Palette

3.0

This isn't the best Kylie eyeshadow palette. This is the fifth one I've added to my collection and one of the things I noticed is the high amount of fallout in the palette. Just dipping your brush into it there's a lot of powder sitting on top of the pressed shadows. I like the color selection, the pigmentation is nice and the shadows are blendable, just like all her other palettes. It just seems to be a little more powdery than usual.
I haven't worn the blush yet, so I can't comment on that. The highlighter is really nice, but can often be a little too dark on my really fair complexion. I'm also not a very big fan of a pink toned shimmer highlight, but that's just personal preference

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

The I Want It All palette [also known as the Birthday Book] is a limited edition palette, that is still in stock on the Kylie Cosmetics site. In the palette you get nine powder eyeshadows; Birthday Girl (satin shimmering champagne), Buttercream Frosting (matte warm cream), 1942 (matte warm taupe), Forever Young (matte warm soft pink), New Year, New Me (metallic red plum), The New Black (matte bright pink), Party Time (matte light dusty mauve), Celebrate (metallic golden brown) and Midnight (matte black). In addition to the eyeshadows you also get a light pink blush in a matte finish [Cheers] and a shimmering light pink highlighter [Confetti].

The shadows are okay in that they are pretty & I have liked the majority of looks I've done, there isn't too much fallout [though more then the other two Kylie palettes Iown] and the bendability has greatly improved over past palettes from the brand that I've tried. However, after falling for glossy images of models and Jenner wearing what is supposed to be these shadow online, I've found myself a bit underwhelmed when I saw the shades once I got the palette in front of me as the shades look different in real life; no purple undertones in the pink shades, so there is very little originality, as not only did the Kylie's Diary palette contain a couple of very similar shades, but Too Faced released their Funfetti eyeshadow palette a few months ago and that has the same theme and pink-and-neutral colour range as I Want It All [they both even have the same kind of matte light pink shades with the same shade name - Forever Young. It might be coincidence, but this is the second Too Faced palette this 'coincidence' has happened with]. Also; the black shade [Midnight] has iffy pigmentation, so applies as a grey and it is a bit patchy, and New Year New Me doesn't apply as vivid as it looks in the pan either.

I like the look, feel and wear of the blush, but have this basic-type shade over and over; I do have fair skin, and I'm not sure how the 'meh' pigmentation would hold up on people who aren't quite so ghostly, since it does apply lighter then it looks in the pan. However I don't like the amount of shimmer in the highlighter* now - though I loved how glowy it appeared at first - as I've noticed that the heavy shimmer creates a greyish cast to my skin in some lighting, and I dislike how the shimmer would fall down my face over the day. I don't think I'll wear it again.

I'm not sure what I think about the packaging; at first I did think it was much more eye-pleasing in comparison to the others, but the more I look at the palette the more childish it appears. I do think a plastic casing and a brush (I think the 5 piece brush set quality is poor, but I'd much rather have something than nothing) would have been more fitting for a $54 palette since we are not paying for top-notch quality, but at least this one is pretty, and has a mirror in it.

The price you see on screen is already too much for the product quality, and then there is shipping, and tax & customs to be added = we're going past the mid level price range and going into high-level territory, which is a level of quality that this palette just not does not have; Chanel, Dior, YSL etc can back their paying-for-the-name beauty ranges up with top-notch quality, but Kylie Cosmetics can't; I don't have to spend so much time and effort on applying shadows from other brands at the medium or higher price level, so I'm annoyed that this brand has put itself at such a lofty price point, when it can't deliver a comparable quality to anything else at the same level.

I wish that I'd gone for Funfetti instead of I Want It All, as I only got I Want It All to recreate the makeup look Jenner wears in the main 'Birthday Collection' image on the Kylie Cosmetics site, which I can't do as the shadows look different. Funfetti has more shadows in (it's a 12 pan palette) and costs less - after adding tax and shipping in for I Want It All, Funfetti is under half the price of this palette, and I could have just gone to a store and bought it, so I wouldn't have had to wait almost a fortnight for it to ship. Funfetti doesn't contain any cheek products, but the ones you get here are either 'meh or 'pass', so no loss there IMO. Alas; once you place an order on the Kylie Cosmetics site, that's it - no cancelling or returns.

* When I recieved my first I Want It All palette the highlighter was shattered, so I emailed a photo to them and asked for a replacement; they replied within an hour, saying that they would arrange a one-off replacement, and they did so. They even paid the shipping and custom taxes for me, so the parcel was delivered straight to my door, instead of me having to go to the postal center and pay custom charges. I had issues with the customer service last year, but there has clearly been a huge improvement.