Australian Gold Botanical Sunscreen - Tinted Face (SPF 50)

Australian Gold  Botanical Sunscreen - Tinted Face (SPF 50)
Botanical Sunscreen - Tinted Face (SPF 50)

4.3

on 1/7/2018 4:45:00 PM

Unfortunately, this did not work for me due to my super sensitive, rosacea skin. I could feel a bit of a burn as I applied, but that could be because of the way I applied. It is a thick ss with a tint. I have very fair skin & this melted into my skin nice with no off color to notice. It left my skin on the matt side & looked nice... but had to take it off due to it making my skin feel irritated. Someone without rosacea may really like this, it just didn’t work for me🙁

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I feel like I stumbled across a hidden gem with this tinted sunscreen! I have to apply it over a moisturizer because my skin is very dry, but it doesn’t dry my face out and leave my skin feeling tight and uncomfortable by the end of the day. The tint is just enough to prevent any white cast and gives my skin that desirable even toned glow I look for from a spf face product. Because it’s so inexpensive, I apply it most generously without any concern of waste, and can therefore feel confident I’m putting on enough to get proper spf protection. It doesn’t have any noticable odor either, they thankfully don’t add any fragrance to this facial formula. It sets well without any transfer, I haven’t tried it under a foundation yet.
I can’t say at this time how its water-resistant abilities work because it’s the middle of winter, but I certainly intend on trying it out in the pool this summer.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have tried several mineral only sunscreens and this is hands down the best one so far. It is very lightweight and not greasy whatsoever. It plays well under makeup, too, with zero white or gray cast. My skin feels really silky after I put it on. I am in the sun many hours a day and this sunscreen has not failed me, but I am good about reapplying after a good sweat or every 2 hours.

The tint is barely noticeable on my light-medium skin (which lends more towards light).

My skin is sensitive/acne-prone, but this does not cause any breakouts nor clog my pores.

NOTE: I only wear this on my face and chest. I use a spray chemical SS on my arms, back, shoulders because either it's more convenient or I'm just not flexible enough to reach those spots.

Will definitely repurchase!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!! I have been searching for a HG foundation for 30 years, and I finally found it. I mix this amazing sunscreen with the Estee Lauder Light foundation and use a brush to apply it all over my face, then (this is the crucial part!) I use my fingers to pat it into my skin then I set it ever so lightly with It Cosmetics Pores No More powder. I get an absolutely flawless finish, it covers beautifully (medium but, not a heavy coverage), it lasts ALL DAY LONG (even through hot flash sweats!). Honestly, I have repurchased this combo 3x and I will repurchase it until the day they put me in the cold hard ground, because I LOVE it that much :) This product is also great on it's own, and I use it in the same way I just don't get as much coverage (sheer to light) when I use it by itself. It doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I don't get greasy or shiny through out the day. It is relatively cheap, and it's a physical sunscreen, which I really prefer. Plus, it has some really great ingredients that are typically found in higher end products (like red algae). Just be sure you get the TINTED version for your face, I've used the non tinted, and it works fine as a sunscreen, it's just very white on the skin. I'm pale, cool toned and the tinted version is not too yellow (which happens often with tinted products) I'd say it has more of a neutral tone tint.

on 11/29/2017 6:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I struggle to rate this fairly because I think it's a great product compared to a bunch of other similar products I've tried. I think that mineral sunscreen might just not be for me.

The pros: (1) it's cruelty-free; (2) looks very natural both in terms of tint (on my complexion) and in terms of texture. I like my skin to look super dewy so this mattifies more than I'd like but I think for lots of people it'd work really well; (3) it's not greasy; (4) it's mineral sunscreen with high SPF so it offers great protection.

Cons: (1) like I said it mattifies just a tiny bit which is more than I want; (2) most importantly, I really can't stand the feel of silicone...the feeling that if I lightly graze my face that I'll find sunscreen under my nails...ICK; (3) I feel like I can't reapply this without first taking off the first application (and I tend to reapply sunscreen religiously throughout the day); (4) I definitely couldn't apply foundation over this although I think for people who like something that mattifies (assuming the color suits your skintone) they might be really happy with the light coverage this provides.

I am still giving it a high rating because I'm not sure if what I'm looking for actually exists on the market at this point and this has been great compared to other mineral sunscreens I've found. You can tell that they put a lot of time and effort into an elegant formulation. I'd love to move to mineral sunscreens but I think I might have to stick with chemical sunscreens. FYI I use ISDIN FotoUltra Age Repair which is also cruelty-free and it absorbs immediately, has SPF50 and also has hyaluronic acid and I apply it every 1.5-2hrs throughout the day and don't have to wipe or clean my face between reapplications; and it works perfectly under makeup. Major con is it's very expensive for how fast I go through it (about a bottle a month). So the hunt for the holy grail sunscreen continues.

This review is for the *tinted* version of the Botanical Sunscreen that is meant for the face. I have also done a separate review of the 5 oz. tube of the non-tinted Botanical Sunscreen. After trying both sunscreens, I can say that the primary differences that I have observed between both versions are the tint, the size of the tube, and the price.

This tinted face sunscreen comes in a 3 oz tube (89 mL) and is about $12.99 at Ulta. But Ulta often has buy 1, get 1 half off sales for this sunscreen. Because of the tint, I do not get white cast that the other non-tinted version gives me. So that's a plus for this sunscreen.

I liked that you can easily tell if the sunscreen is new and unused because you have to unscrew the lid/cap of the tube and remove a foiled sticker from the opening of the tube before you can squeeze out the sunscreen.

For active ingredients, this sunscreen has 4% titanium dioxide and 4% zinc oxide. Inactive ingredients are listed at the end of this review.

This sunscreen makes the following claims (1) provides UVA/UVB and SPF 50 protection, (2) it is non-greasy, (3) water resistant (80 minutes), (4) anti-oxidant rich, (5) hypo allergenic, (6) dermatologist tested, (7) pediatrician tested, (8) reef friendly, (9) not tested on animals, (10) non-nano.

In addition, this sunscreen claims to be free of oxybenzone, PABA, parabens, pthalates, SLS (sulfates), petrolatum, alcohol, dye, oil, and BPA.

There are so many things to like about this sunscreen, especially with the claims that I listed above. When I apply this sunscreen on my face, I don't get the stinging feeling that I get often when I wear chemical sunscreens. This sunscreen does have a scent but it is not offensive and does dissipate. The lotion is thick and creamy but it is indeed non-greasy and surprisingly (for me) dries quickly to a matte finish.

However, I don't believe that this sunscreen provides as much protection as I would expect. 4% titanium oxide and 4% zinc oxide is relatively low for a mineral sunscreen. Also, I've read that when it comes to mineral sunscreens, they are not as protective (from UVA rays) as those sunscreens that are combo mineral-chemical or all chemical.

I like that this sunscreen is not greasy. In fact, it dries on my face extremely matte. In fact, I find it too matte for my combo skin so I need to apply a light moisturizing lotion before applying this sunscreen. Also, I think this sunscreen is better worn on days when I choose to forego wearing foundation. After letting the sunscreen absorb for 10 to 15 minutes, I tried applying liquid foundation on my skin, the foundation became hard to spread evenly and blend on my face. In fact, it made my foundation look cakey on certain parts of my face, like around my nose. I think this is largely because of the sunscreen's mattifying quality - as the sunscreen dries and absorbs into my skin, it feels as if it is "adhering" to my skin (in a way, this is good when swimming, especially amongst the reefs; you don't want your sunscreen to be washing away so easily if you are swimming).

Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Disodium Edta, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Hexyl Laurate, Iron Oxides, Panthenol, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Polymethysilsesquioxane, Porphyra Umbilicalis (Red Algae) Extract, Silica, Squalane, Stearic Acid, Terminalia Ferdinandiana (Kakadu Plum) Fruit Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylysilane, Water.