Pat McGrath Labs Matte Trance Lipstick

Pat McGrath Labs Matte Trance Lipstick

4.3

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I tried the deep burgundy shade. It changed color on me in an uneven way...parts of my lip were bright red after not even an hour. It didn't wear very well and was patchy and drying. It looked like a Revlon matte lipstick I remember trying from back in the day (80s or 90s) when they started with the whole Colorstay thing. At the same time, I found it smearing off everywhere including on my face and on my teeth. I hate to be the sole dissenter here because I know she has a following, but I just didnt like this at all. I wouldn't like it at any price, but at $38 it's a definite no way for me.

on 11/7/2017 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I love the Lust MatteTrance lipsticks by Pat McGrath Labs. I have four of the colors but I want a fifth color called Flesh 3 which Pat McGrath Labs and Sephora are both always sold out of.

I love it. I find the formula to be quite long wearing even after eating oily foods and definitely after drinking. Those lipsticks feel comfortable on the lips for matte lipsticks, they feel very lightweight on my lips and have no scent or flavor. I wear them without lip liners. The packaging is very pretty and of amazing quality.

I wear Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint in Seychelles

on 10/22/2017 4:14:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Pat is a genius regardless of what she does, but not sure these lipsticks live up to the hype. Packaging is gorgeous and reminds me of a Dali piece, yet I thought the product inside would be equally stellar and I'm a bit disappointed. It's not BAD by any means, but I reach for my Tom Ford and Charlotte Tilbury over this one generally.
i like a matte lipstick to have tons of pigment, hug my lips and wear for a long time. I'm just not certain paying an extra $21 is going to give anyone what a MAC matte couldn't, or on the drugstore side Milani mattes which are amazing quality. I think you're paying for packaging and the name, basically.
I got the reddish/orange shade Obsessed; it's lovely and great quality but probably could be duped for cheaper. Honestly that's my ONLY issue with the product too: I think TF is similarly overpriced.

I am a self proclaimed lipstick junkie, having all different brands in a variety of finishes (probably close to 100 total). Therefore I just had to get the Pat McGrath ones and I ordered the Everything kit. I have many of her previous kits and am willing to pay a lot for her products because the quality and pigmentation is always on point.

The packaging is very cute, sturdy, and feels expensive. There is nothing cheap about these. They remind me of the Chanel matte lipstick tubes with the gold/black theme and the nice weight to them. The mechanism twists up without a hitch. Unfortunately a few of the lipsticks seem a little loose in the tube and have already pressed up against the side while applying. I most often have that problem with MAC creamsheen lipsticks so I was surprised. I will just have to be careful when applying so the lipstick itself doesn't detach from the tube, which can get messy and waste product.

The color selection is great. The Everything kit provides nice basic shades that any lipstick lover should have. All colors work well on me (fair neutral skin, honey blonde hair, blue eyes, and not very pigmented lips). My absolute favorite is Omi (a perfect rosey neutral). 1995 is a great lighter brown based nude. Flesh 3 is a beautiful burgandy/brown and will be great for fall/winter. Today I am wearing Elson at work and it is stunning. A perfect true red that would look great on anyone. Obsessed! is a fun red orange and Full Panic is a perfect fuschia. Antidote can be a darker violet plum if 2 layers are applied, or a sheerer violet if you use one layer. All apply well except for the 3 darker shades: Deep Void, McMenamy, and Antidote. Those tend to get patchy and settle on the outside of my lips after a while. To be honest I don't think I will use Deep Void and McMenamy as much since the application is more time consuming and for me those types of shades are really a whole "look" on their own, but I am glad to have them to mix with other shades or to sheer out.

The formula is truly unique. It really does apply more like a pigment than a lipstick. The pigment, once applied, can be smoothed and patted with a finger as Pat McGrath herself suggests, and also pushed into the lips for staying power and to enlarge the lip line a bit. For most one swipe is enough to get a beautiful application of highly pigmented color - and man, these are PIGMENTED. I have never had a lipstick that is so lightweight, non-greasy and velvety that feels this great on the lips and still packs a pigmented punch as these do. It's truly impressive! The staying power is also good on these - I reapply once or twice per day at work as needed. Pressing my lips together to redistribute the product also helps. Some shades are slightly drying on me but for the most part, for being matte shades, the level of moisture is just fine.

Overall I am glad I got these lipsticks but in retrospect I probably wouldn't have purchased the darkest 3 as they are harder to work with than the others and I have to be careful with dark shades like that on my skin tone. Any imperfection in application becomes glaringly obvious. I would recommend the nudes and brights to anyone though! This is another win for wonderful Pat!

on 9/9/2017 12:32:00 PM

Omie is that perfect color for me, the ever elusive MLBB! The staying power of this lipstick is very good and it literally feels like nothing is on the lips. I also love 1995 for work and Elson for going out. I'm fair but have pigmented lips that are hard to match and very picky about lipstick. This stuff is worth the money. I did reapply after lunch, but that's normal for me. I want to try the new Pat McGrath Lust Trance lipsticks and have just ordered the Donatello shade this morning from Sephora!

on 10/31/2017 10:02:00 AM

The Matte Trance lipsticks are incredibly pigmented. I cannot even swipe them on because of making a hot pigmented mess. I have lips that tend on the thinner side. Because of how pigmented and dark it is (McMenemy) I have to dab it on. If I miss even a little it is difficult to clean it up. Once on it you can't even feel it on your lips. I can also appreciate that this doesn't have much of a taste or scent to it. I wish there was more of a color selection because I'm not sure that any of these colors truly suit me. Those things said, there is no way I will ever get to use even half of this lipstick up by the time it is expired. I wish they had a mini collection because $38 is expensive for a lipstick. I must say though, if you are looking for a pigmented, darker tone, matte lipstick and price isn't an issue these are very nice.

on 8/1/2017 6:33:00 PM

Let me start by saying that I have tried the matte lipstick trend and hated it. Usually, the lipsticks have a plasticy-chemical smell. They dry out my lips and tend to make me look like that villain from 101 Dalmatians with her dry, prune-like lips. I felt discouraged and did not try to get too excited hearing about Pat McGrath's newest product...
I am a sucker for advertising, so I took the plunge...I ordered the Lip trance trio in Skin Show (nudes) and the dark, vampy McMenamy (200). The nudes are soooooo beautiful. I couldn't resist when they called out to me from the site. My daughter thought I was insane, I thought I needed to conduct research for older women that may not have the smooth lips of Kylie.

The packaging made me squeal. Literally! The trio was packaged in one gold bag with a lot of beautiful, sparkly gold sequins. I kept the sequins in a separate bag. I don't know what I will do with them later, but they are just tooooooo pretty to throw away.
Okay, so the cover of the lipstick is so elegant and pretty. It is a shiny, sleek black with gold lips.

Now that the foreplay is over, how did it feel? Well, it was great! It has great color pay off and, honestly, very smooth. I have dry lips and this did not irritate nor dry them out. Honestly, great colors that do cover my overly-pigmented lips. It's strange, because although the lipstick is matte, it feel rich and light at the same time. I have never liked matte before because they have a tendency to make my lips feel dry and cracked, but that is not the case with these. I will say, however, that I like the look more with my LM lipliner to make it more "dramatic." I am used to the chemical smell or the "turned" smell on matte lipsticks and found that this was not the case. It lasted about as long as any other matte lipstick, except that I didn't feel it coming off in chunks. I will do an individual review for each color in the Skin Show trio, as well as, the McMenamy.

Yes, it is $38 for the lipstick, but considering that it lasts through most of my day to me, it was well-spent. I purchased colors that I knew I would use for that reason. I wanted to get more bang for my buck...plus, my daughter keeps raiding my makeup stash, so I wanted something that would survive her hands (she's 19, but loves makeup as much as I do, if not, more). I am sad to say that these are limited and that these are not readily available in brick and mortar stores because it would really sell through the roof.

on 8/3/2017 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Well, she finally listened to us. One of the biggest complaints about PM releases is the crappy packaging and though I hate to say it, the crappy formula. Aside from Darkstar and her very first releases which were limited to 1000 pieces, I have every other PM release. This one by far is the most superior and is well worth the price. I bought the Color Blitz trio and Antidote. First off, these lipsticks are even better than the first Lust release. They literally give you full, EXTREMELY PIGMENTED, matte coverage in one swipe. The formula is soft, smooth and assuming you take the proper precautions as you would with any matte lipstick, they're not drying at all. The packaging is very well made, sturdy and heavy, so cute and totally worth it. This is one release I can say is worth every penny.

Popular Lips Products