Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by eye Color : Brown

3.2

I absolutely love this palette. The pigments are so creamy and nice on my lids. I use a very light hand so I had no trouble blending and had absolutely no fall out! I know a lot of people have mixed reviews or weren’t fans of the palette but it’s easily in my top 3 favorite palettes! I definitely recommend not being heavy handed if you’re new to using pigment palettes.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I’m not sure what all the drama is around this palette – its not the greatest but its far from the worst out there.

I put off purchasing this until it was on sale (half price), due to the terrible reviews – I am VERY glad I did grab this because it’s a very unique palette IMO and quite a different color story than anything else in my collection. I really love how pigmented many of the lighter mattes are, such as Roxy, New Wave, Edge, and Mercury – all which blended well/smoothly without issue. I found that the deeper shades (esp. the greener tones) such as Untamed, Axis, and Rowdy were pretty finicky in terms of attempts at an even application – these called for a smooth primer (such as a concealer with powder over it) and work best as outer corner “smokey” shades. The only shade I truly found disappointing was Electric, which is the main reason I purchased the palette. This shade was vibrant on many in tutorials and reviews, but I just couldn’t get much impact out of it (seemed like a “meh” topper shade on me).

I actually like that these are pressed pigments. I also didn’t get a ton of kick-up like so many others have/do. Caveat I may have been much more disappointed had I purchased this at full price or bought it prior to reviews (expecting no fuss application of all shades, reminiscent of MR palette)... If you are a palette collector (like I am!), this is a great one to add to your collection bc its just so unique in color and formulation.

Patchy shadows, poorly pigmented, tons of fallout. I can’t do anything with this palette. Waste of money.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I bought this last year. I kept avoiding it because I had seen all of the negative reviews so I figured it would just be a big disappointment but I still stopped to admire the colors every time I was in Sephora. Finally I could resist the temptation no longer and I bought in spite of all the awful things I had heard.

I have to say I have created some really beautiful looks with this palette. It probably helped that I had watched so many you tube reviews before I purchased. I started off knowing that they were soft and powdery. I knew to only very lightly touch my brush to the shadows. I knew that some colors were going to be difficult to blend and that some colors didn't play well with others.

The colors are beautiful but they are not true to what you see in the pan. Most of them apply much darker than you would expect. For example the color destiny looks like a soft olive green but when applied it looks like it's a taupe. Edge looks like a mustard yellow but goes on looking more orange. Untamed looks green in the pan but when applied and blended it become a muddy dark grey. So that took some getting used to. My favorite colors are Dawn, Roxy, New Wave, Edge, All Star and Axis. The lighter shades blend nicely and look good together. Do not try to combine or blend 2 darker shade together and remember that some shades are much darker than you would expect. Like Rowdy looks much darker than Mercury but when blended they are almost the same dark shade.

The darker shades cannot be layered or blended closely together because you end up with mud. I will work with the lightest colors for layering and blending. Then I use the darker shades just for a outer corner color and blended every so gently so as not to smear it into the other colors. Whenever I use this palette I get compliments on my eye shadow and people ask me what I used so it can be used to create some very pretty looks.

All that being said I couldn't give it more than 3 lippies because there are too many drawbacks. There are at least three 4 shades in this palette that I will never use which isn't all that bad because I never use every shade in any palette. Every shadow palette I've ever owned has several shades that I just don't like or are unflattering to me. However I don't like any of the shimmers in this palette. Electric is just impossible to apply. I can't get any of the pigment to stick to my eyelid and it's the same with Cube which is actually a shimmery pink but it looks like some weird glowy white color in the pa. Adorn is okay but it doesn't really impress.

Also this isn't a palette that you can use on days that you just want a light make up day or when your in a rush. Everything has to be applied so carefully and with such a light touch that you wouldn't want to attempt it if you are in a hurry or not really focused on your make up application. I would recommend this to someone who likes to experiment and have fun, it will be rewarding, but its not for people who don't want to have to commit to spending the extra time and attention.. I only reach for this palette maybe 2 or 3 times a month on days when I want to have fun and experiment, for daily makeup I much prefer my more straight forward and easy to understand palettes. This palette is just for fun and I would not purchase it again.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Here is my story: I loved the color scheme. I find it very flattering and very inspiring. But after reading all the reviews and watching all the youtube videos on it, I decided to give it a pass. Then, I found the Revolution (Iconic Division) dupe in store and thought I would give it a try. I loved loved the Revolution one. I had some pigmentation/blendability issues, but really nothing noteworthy. I loved the texture of several shades. I used the palette a lot and got several compliments on my eyeshadow looks from other people, which never really happens.
Then I though that for ethical reasons, if I liked the dupe so much, I should buy the original, since the creative work of putting these shades together should be compensated. Paid full price. I wish I could return it. It is that bad. Shades do not blend, have a different color on the pan vs. lid, skip, turn grey, and worst of all lift - as in leave bald patches that never fill. They can also vanish when you blend, making you have to continue to pack on. I don't even know how it is possible to have all these problems together from only one formula. Yes, we have to both build very slowly and pack on a lot, and we have to both blend a lot and avoid blending.
I still love the looks I get, and I can use it, but I take about three times longer with this palette to do my eye look, compared to with the Revolution dupe. Disclaimer: maybe this is because I got used to the other one first.

In sum, do I recommend it? Yes, although I recommend more the Revolution one. Most times you will get a beautiful look. And there are a good variety of looks you can achieve. Just be aware that you might sometimes have to wipe the eyeshadow off and start all over again. Even if this never ever happens to you.

The colors are beautiful and the packaging is beautiful. The colors remind me of grunge, forests, thrift shops and the 70's.
There is a lot of fall out and I can handle that but the colors are extremely hard to blend, they turn GREY when you blend them together. What?! I know how to use eyeshadows and with this palette it's almost impossible. I can use only one, MAYBE two colors on my eyelid, they will turn grey if I use more.
I lost my interest in Anastasia palettes after experiencing this palette. Maybe I will purchase more but Anastasia really needs to show that they can make gorgeous eyeshadows like Modern Renaissance. Prism and Soft Glam seem kinda boring.
Good dupe for this palette would be Makeup Revolution's Iconic Division palette. It's cheap and the colors probably won't change their color like in this $50 palette.

Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I just recently purchased this palette. Sephora did a dramatic markdown of this and it was a steal so why not? I've seen all the terrible reviews on this but I also saw the good reviews for this palette too. I love this palette and I'm shocked. I know how to work with this one because I did my research. The formula for this palette is super powdery and highly pigmented. A recipe for disaster if you don't know what your doing. You only need to dot your brush in the pod, not dig into it like you would other palettes. The colors blend effortlessly, no patchiness, and there is not a lot of fall-out when applied with a light hand. The colors are vibrant and each compliment eachother. This is my favorite palette right now and i NEVER thought i'd say that.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really wanted to love this but I’m bummed out!! Right off the bat, the shimmer shades are garbage even applied with the fingers. I took the disclaimers a little too lightly because when it came down to it, my eye look was really time consuming. The color schemes are so beautiful, like nothing I’ve seen before. Immediately my eyes gravitated to the green and magenta. I have very hooded eyes and not a lot of space to work with but I went for the halo look. Once I spent my time carefully blending so it doesn’t go outside the lines of my eyes, my efforts go to waste. I tried to layer and “deepen” the outer corners with the next shadow completely covered the hard work I did underneath. The orange blending transition shade is good though. I used with with Soft Glam to create a green, magenta, gold halo eye look. I probably will return but I don’t completely hate this palette.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I was intrigued by the color scheme of the palette, so I bought it but ended up returning it. I hated the shade cube because it was so dry and had no pigment along with the electric green shade. The metallic gold was ok but didn’t pick up well on a brush and I had to pack it on with my fingers, which may be fine for some people but a palette this expensive should have shadows that apply well both ways. The mattes were very pigmented, but quite difficult for me to blend.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Controversial, I know, however this palette provides some gorgeous eyeshadows with extreme pigmentation - the trick is a light hand and a willingness to suffer a little fall out. The price point is about average for an ABH set of shadows and I would have never marketed it as a companion to the Modern Renaissance Palette but I have grown fond of this and use it more than I use the modern renaissance as the reds and pinks in there are just too bright for me. There are some wonderfully unusual matte colors in here - yellow and pinky/peach shades that I have not seen elsewhere. I am very careful with how I attempt to blend them as certain of the colors (like the deep teals) don't necessarily work well with others - they can become muddy if not applied and blended well but the tones in this grouping are different than everything we are seeing these days and I do enjoy it. Use a VERY light touch when picking up the mattes in here!! I have never regretted buying this!