Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by skin type : Dry

3.4

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I’m not sure what all the drama is around this palette – its not the greatest but its far from the worst out there.

I put off purchasing this until it was on sale (half price), due to the terrible reviews – I am VERY glad I did grab this because it’s a very unique palette IMO and quite a different color story than anything else in my collection. I really love how pigmented many of the lighter mattes are, such as Roxy, New Wave, Edge, and Mercury – all which blended well/smoothly without issue. I found that the deeper shades (esp. the greener tones) such as Untamed, Axis, and Rowdy were pretty finicky in terms of attempts at an even application – these called for a smooth primer (such as a concealer with powder over it) and work best as outer corner “smokey” shades. The only shade I truly found disappointing was Electric, which is the main reason I purchased the palette. This shade was vibrant on many in tutorials and reviews, but I just couldn’t get much impact out of it (seemed like a “meh” topper shade on me).

I actually like that these are pressed pigments. I also didn’t get a ton of kick-up like so many others have/do. Caveat I may have been much more disappointed had I purchased this at full price or bought it prior to reviews (expecting no fuss application of all shades, reminiscent of MR palette)... If you are a palette collector (like I am!), this is a great one to add to your collection bc its just so unique in color and formulation.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is definitely not your ordinary palette, the colors are bold, pigmented and don’t allow for any haste, you gotta be careful with color selection and willing to have patience applying & blending. ABH describes it as a “compliment” to their modern renissance palette, and I agree with this, as the only way I find I can play it safe is to work from both palettes side by side and sticking with 3-4 colors max (4th being used as an eyeliner). I wish I could grunge it out as it calls to me to be. BTW, it also partners well with soft glam.
I don’t have much experience working with pigments and hope I’m right assuming this is what these shadows can be considered as. I got this because I felt it would present a true challenge to be creative when applying eyeshadow, there are just too many other pallets, formulas and shades out there where it’s perfectly fine to dig into a pan, load up a brush, and pack it on like a 5 year old. It is not by any means a “must have”.
At this price point it is very fair to expect more than a medicore velvet and cardboard case, I recommend keeping the box and putting it immediately back in it after use to help keep it clean.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Other, Relaxed, Coarse

I think a lot of people let influencers on YouTube convince them that this palette is horrible.yes it has some Fallout but it's not that extreme and you shouldn't be swirling your brushes around in the pan anyway. you should always tap each brush. The colord are very pigmented they blend pretty easy and the color scheme of the palette is so different from anything that I own. I would definitely purchase it again if you've been looking at this and you wanted it but have been scared to purchase it because of reviews on YouTube I say purchase it and you won't be disappointed if you think for yourself. but if you are a trend buyer then it is a for you.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Controversial, I know, however this palette provides some gorgeous eyeshadows with extreme pigmentation - the trick is a light hand and a willingness to suffer a little fall out. The price point is about average for an ABH set of shadows and I would have never marketed it as a companion to the Modern Renaissance Palette but I have grown fond of this and use it more than I use the modern renaissance as the reds and pinks in there are just too bright for me. There are some wonderfully unusual matte colors in here - yellow and pinky/peach shades that I have not seen elsewhere. I am very careful with how I attempt to blend them as certain of the colors (like the deep teals) don't necessarily work well with others - they can become muddy if not applied and blended well but the tones in this grouping are different than everything we are seeing these days and I do enjoy it. Use a VERY light touch when picking up the mattes in here!! I have never regretted buying this!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

WHYYYYYYY?

To start - I do not hate this. At all.

But

I absolutely loved Modern Renaissance and used it almost daily over the last year.
Just when I was down to pan on several shades Subculture emerged- and - though I probably would have gone for it anyway, it has the one color I'm ALWAYS looking for but can never find - Edge, which is like a curry/mustard. So that sealed the deal.

Just as MR, I find this palette to have a successful , sophisticated, very wearable yet varied color-play. I love that these palettes aren't just essentially the same color over and over again. I stopped buying palettes that had me forgetting which shade I just used from one second to the next. I finally realized- it's not me it's them.

All that having been said, and as much as I wanted to rave about this, I must admit that some of the shadows fall short in the texture/pigment/blend-ability department. Unlike MR, which provided consistent excellence throughout, Subculture is a bit of a mine field. The dark shades (Rowdy, Axis) are very difficult to blend successfully, and while that does tend to happen with dark pigmented shadows, these are more like powder liners. Which I was ok with, and fine with using them as such.

I love the color Fudge but even that I find a bit difficult to work with. Tends to go patchy without real diligence.

Then there are the light, iridescent shades; Cube and Electric. Electric is decent, although a "creamier" shadow would pop more, and Cube hardly applies at all. As another reviewer pointed out it's more of a glaze.

In summary, I like this palette. It's not crazy expensive and I think it's worth what I paid for it. The colors are beautiful. I will probably never use green eyeshadow but I can't expect every shade to suit me, and I know a lot of women who would look great in every single shadow offered here.
That said, I find it lacks the user-friendly, easy-to-work-with, winning combination of both beautiful shades AND excellent quality that I found Modern Renaissance provided.

UPDATE 5/2/18 - after living with this palette for a while I’ve become less forgiving of its shortcomings. I’m actually scared of it. Most of the pigmented darker shades are unworkable. They don’t blend well regardless of what brush/technique I’ve attempted. Incredibly difficult to use successfully. The iridescent/metallic shades are the opposite. They practically don’t apply at all. The lighter mattes/satins are excellent but they’re surrounded by so many bullies that if the brush accidentally picks up a tiny amount of them, it’s a big inky mess.

I think I've figured it out. Abh sends their PR to small YouTubers only, so the big ones have no incentive to sell this one and would rather you save your money to splurge on their Morphe affiliate codes. LMAO
Srsly, this palette is amazing, but you do have to be willing to learn and use it differently. It is highly pigmented and thus needs a different hand than your everyday disappointing mattes. If you don't have time for that, I really think that's a user issue not a quality one- but hey, it's just makeup.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I tried this out via a sephora makeover recently, to see if I was interested in buying the palette. I was super excited about the colours and curious about what looks I could get out of it.

The makeup artist was wonderful and tried her best but it didn't go well right off the bat. Nothing was blending for her, even after using half the brushes in the store and prepping my eyes with 2 different bases and powder. I could tell she was dipping in very gently and still getting a ton of powder everywhere. It turned into an entire mess after about 15 minutes of her trying to work with the shadow. We had to remove my whole eye look and start again using a different palette.

The pigmentation is amazing but the blendability is unbelievably poor. If you're a makeup artist willing to work with this on yourself (as it would take 45min to do a look) it might be worth it. But as a layperson and general makeup consumer, there is nothing but frustration with this palette and i don't have the time or desire to "learn" how to work with these.

This is a new eye shadow palette from Anastasia Beverly Hills. This is the follow up to the wildly successful and popular Modern Renaissance Eyeshadow Palette. This palette is a totally different animal than the Modern Renaissance Palette. The Subculture Palette is beautiful in its own way. This palette requires a very very light hand since it is extremely soft and very pigmented. The one thing I wish is that this had a few more light colors for the upper brow area. There are a couple sparkly/metallic eyeshadows in this palette that have little to no payoff.

So along with the positive there are some negatives. Just do not purchase this for the colors cube and electric. My more detailed review video and swatches are in the link below.

I feel like I am one of the few who recieved a good palette. I ordered this on July 25th when it launched on the ABH website and recieved it on August 1st. It is definitely a different formula than the Modern Renaissance, but I have not had any of the issues everyone else has had. Mine are pigmented, blend well, and did not experience excessive fall out. Ive come to expect having fall out from ABH shadows as I also have the Modern Renaissance and the Master Palette by Mario. Overall, I enjoy my palette and would repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

After waiting for this palette to be released, I was so happy when my sister gave it to me as a gift. The shades were unlike what I typically use and I was excited to experiment with them. As soon as I began using it, I wasn't impressed. I tried using different primers, no primer, different brushes, and nothing seemed to work. They're chalky, powdery and awful. Nothing like any other ABH shadows I use. I loved Modern Renaissance and this just makes me cringe. I have now happily returned this, it is the worst palette I've ever used.