Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture

3.1

Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I just recently purchased this palette. Sephora did a dramatic markdown of this and it was a steal so why not? I've seen all the terrible reviews on this but I also saw the good reviews for this palette too. I love this palette and I'm shocked. I know how to work with this one because I did my research. The formula for this palette is super powdery and highly pigmented. A recipe for disaster if you don't know what your doing. You only need to dot your brush in the pod, not dig into it like you would other palettes. The colors blend effortlessly, no patchiness, and there is not a lot of fall-out when applied with a light hand. The colors are vibrant and each compliment eachother. This is my favorite palette right now and i NEVER thought i'd say that.

I've been playing with this for a while now. i bought it after watching videos on how to make it work and because i loved the colour scheme, thought I'd give it a go.

Its as bad as people say.

The kickup isn't the problem, these shadows don't blend, the quality of the shadows is all over the shop and honestly, they just don't wear well. People say, oh, they're very pigmented. Yeah. for about 15minutes and then you go about your day and they quickly fade away to nothing. People say, but they are pigments, they aren't supposed to blend - so why do my el cheapo very old L'Oreal infallible pigments wear and apply so much better than this palette?

My issues are - i need to keep a detailed list of which shadows require which brush. Some blend, most don't, which is especially surprising for mattes. The greens don't blend well at all - you have to use a flat brush and place them. I could live with that if they lasted, but they don't. I am careful with placing the shadows, with only blending out the yellows and orange family, with planning my eye shadow look before i start, with doing my eyes first then the rest of the face once I've cleaned up. And yes, with a lot of care you can get a look that you can dupe from other shadows in your collection if you have a number of palettes and singles. Then, 2-3 hours later - everything has creased and worn off no matter what bases i use. What is the point of having very pigmented shadows if all they are good for is taking a couple of pictures for instagram and then removing? The tragedy is that I have greens from Revlon and Maybelline with better lasting power than the ones from this palette. I can't return this palette, i love the colour scheme, but geez ABH, this is a dog of a palette. Huda remastered her rose gold palette, if anything, ABH should have remastered this one.

I love this palette!!! The colors are so bold and pigmented and easily blendable. Yes there is a little kick up but I find that I have a little kick up with any palette I use (I always TAP my brushes in eyeshadow, I never swirl them). I like to use a dampened brush or my fingers to apply the shimmery shades but I prefer that method with most shimmer shades anyways so I dont care about that either!

I think the hate on this palette on youtube was so over exagurated...this palette is easy to use! I have subculture and prism and I love them both!

4/5 for packaging because the velvet on the outside gets dirty so easy..i prefer a hard outside so it can be cleaned off.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really wanted to love this but I’m bummed out!! Right off the bat, the shimmer shades are garbage even applied with the fingers. I took the disclaimers a little too lightly because when it came down to it, my eye look was really time consuming. The color schemes are so beautiful, like nothing I’ve seen before. Immediately my eyes gravitated to the green and magenta. I have very hooded eyes and not a lot of space to work with but I went for the halo look. Once I spent my time carefully blending so it doesn’t go outside the lines of my eyes, my efforts go to waste. I tried to layer and “deepen” the outer corners with the next shadow completely covered the hard work I did underneath. The orange blending transition shade is good though. I used with with Soft Glam to create a green, magenta, gold halo eye look. I probably will return but I don’t completely hate this palette.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I was intrigued by the color scheme of the palette, so I bought it but ended up returning it. I hated the shade cube because it was so dry and had no pigment along with the electric green shade. The metallic gold was ok but didn’t pick up well on a brush and I had to pack it on with my fingers, which may be fine for some people but a palette this expensive should have shadows that apply well both ways. The mattes were very pigmented, but quite difficult for me to blend.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is definitely not your ordinary palette, the colors are bold, pigmented and don’t allow for any haste, you gotta be careful with color selection and willing to have patience applying & blending. ABH describes it as a “compliment” to their modern renissance palette, and I agree with this, as the only way I find I can play it safe is to work from both palettes side by side and sticking with 3-4 colors max (4th being used as an eyeliner). I wish I could grunge it out as it calls to me to be. BTW, it also partners well with soft glam.
I don’t have much experience working with pigments and hope I’m right assuming this is what these shadows can be considered as. I got this because I felt it would present a true challenge to be creative when applying eyeshadow, there are just too many other pallets, formulas and shades out there where it’s perfectly fine to dig into a pan, load up a brush, and pack it on like a 5 year old. It is not by any means a “must have”.
At this price point it is very fair to expect more than a medicore velvet and cardboard case, I recommend keeping the box and putting it immediately back in it after use to help keep it clean.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Other, Relaxed, Coarse

I think a lot of people let influencers on YouTube convince them that this palette is horrible.yes it has some Fallout but it's not that extreme and you shouldn't be swirling your brushes around in the pan anyway. you should always tap each brush. The colord are very pigmented they blend pretty easy and the color scheme of the palette is so different from anything that I own. I would definitely purchase it again if you've been looking at this and you wanted it but have been scared to purchase it because of reviews on YouTube I say purchase it and you won't be disappointed if you think for yourself. but if you are a trend buyer then it is a for you.

Controversial, I know, however this palette provides some gorgeous eyeshadows with extreme pigmentation - the trick is a light hand and a willingness to suffer a little fall out. The price point is about average for an ABH set of shadows and I would have never marketed it as a companion to the Modern Renaissance Palette but I have grown fond of this and use it more than I use the modern renaissance as the reds and pinks in there are just too bright for me. There are some wonderfully unusual matte colors in here - yellow and pinky/peach shades that I have not seen elsewhere. I am very careful with how I attempt to blend them as certain of the colors (like the deep teals) don't necessarily work well with others - they can become muddy if not applied and blended well but the tones in this grouping are different than everything we are seeing these days and I do enjoy it. Use a VERY light touch when picking up the mattes in here!! I have never regretted buying this!

Do not listen to the bad reviews, this is a great palette. At first I too listened to the bad reviews but then once this palette went on sale and I was able to snag it for $28, I fell in love. It's so unique and I have nothing in my collection (which is huge) like it. The key with this palette is you really only need to tap your brush into the matte shades SOFTLY, ONCE and with a SOFT hand onto your eyelid; this will give you all the pigment and blend-ability you desire. Totally will rebuy when I need to.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

WHYYYYYYY?

To start - I do not hate this. At all.

But

I absolutely loved Modern Renaissance and used it almost daily over the last year.
Just when I was down to pan on several shades Subculture emerged- and - though I probably would have gone for it anyway, it has the one color I'm ALWAYS looking for but can never find - Edge, which is like a curry/mustard. So that sealed the deal.

Just as MR, I find this palette to have a successful , sophisticated, very wearable yet varied color-play. I love that these palettes aren't just essentially the same color over and over again. I stopped buying palettes that had me forgetting which shade I just used from one second to the next. I finally realized- it's not me it's them.

All that having been said, and as much as I wanted to rave about this, I must admit that some of the shadows fall short in the texture/pigment/blend-ability department. Unlike MR, which provided consistent excellence throughout, Subculture is a bit of a mine field. The dark shades (Rowdy, Axis) are very difficult to blend successfully, and while that does tend to happen with dark pigmented shadows, these are more like powder liners. Which I was ok with, and fine with using them as such.

I love the color Fudge but even that I find a bit difficult to work with. Tends to go patchy without real diligence.

Then there are the light, iridescent shades; Cube and Electric. Electric is decent, although a "creamier" shadow would pop more, and Cube hardly applies at all. As another reviewer pointed out it's more of a glaze.

In summary, I like this palette. It's not crazy expensive and I think it's worth what I paid for it. The colors are beautiful. I will probably never use green eyeshadow but I can't expect every shade to suit me, and I know a lot of women who would look great in every single shadow offered here.
That said, I find it lacks the user-friendly, easy-to-work-with, winning combination of both beautiful shades AND excellent quality that I found Modern Renaissance provided.

UPDATE 5/2/18 - after living with this palette for a while I’ve become less forgiving of its shortcomings. I’m actually scared of it. Most of the pigmented darker shades are unworkable. They don’t blend well regardless of what brush/technique I’ve attempted. Incredibly difficult to use successfully. The iridescent/metallic shades are the opposite. They practically don’t apply at all. The lighter mattes/satins are excellent but they’re surrounded by so many bullies that if the brush accidentally picks up a tiny amount of them, it’s a big inky mess.

Popular Palettes