Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Subculture

3.0

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

WHYYYYYYY?

To start - I do not hate this. At all.

But

I absolutely loved Modern Renaissance and used it almost daily over the last year.
Just when I was down to pan on several shades Subculture emerged- and - though I probably would have gone for it anyway, it has the one color I'm ALWAYS looking for but can never find - Edge, which is like a curry/mustard. So that sealed the deal.

Just as MR, I find this palette to have a successful , sophisticated, very wearable yet varied color-play. I love that these palettes aren't just essentially the same color over and over again. I stopped buying palettes that had me forgetting which shade I just used from one second to the next. I finally realized- it's not me it's them.

All that having been said, and as much as I wanted to rave about this, I must admit that some of the shadows fall short in the texture/pigment/blend-ability department. Unlike MR, which provided consistent excellence throughout, Subculture is a bit of a mine field. The dark shades (Rowdy, Axis) are very difficult to blend successfully, and while that does tend to happen with dark pigmented shadows, these are more like powder liners. Which I was ok with, and fine with using them as such.

I love the color Fudge but even that I find a bit difficult to work with. Tends to go patchy without real diligence.

Then there are the light, iridescent shades; Cube and Electric. Electric is decent, although a "creamier" shadow would pop more, and Cube hardly applies at all. As another reviewer pointed out it's more of a glaze.

In summary, I like this palette. It's not crazy expensive and I think it's worth what I paid for it. The colors are beautiful. I will probably never use green eyeshadow but I can't expect every shade to suit me, and I know a lot of women who would look great in every single shadow offered here.
That said, I find it lacks the user-friendly, easy-to-work-with, winning combination of both beautiful shades AND excellent quality that I found Modern Renaissance provided.

Amazing. I was skeptical to buy this because of all the bad hype this product got from Youtubers but I feel like all of them are all being little whiny drama queens for views. Yes, it is very powdery, even more so than my Modern Renaissance palette, but BOY is it pigmented!! You need the LIGHTEST hand with the shadows. They are super pigmented and very very blendable. Now, the trick with this palette is that. It has very odd and kind of has opposite shades (like how blue is opposite of orange), so if you blend those two colors together, you will get an ugly muddy color and it will lose the blue and orange that you originally put. So because of this, you need to stop yourself from overblending when placing those tricky opposite colors. Just place the shadow where you want it, and lightly blend the edges, but do NOT overblend, or you will get muddy looking eyeshadow. A lot of beauty gurus don't seem to recognize this issue when they're review this product and its really silly to me. Ignore the bad hype. If you're attracted to the colors in this palette and you know how to do makeup ( im not an make up artist lol), just get it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Check out my video review of Subculture, the bad boy palette of the Youtube airways! You’ll get my myth busting, urban legend refuting review along with live swatches and a demo! This is the biker brother to the pretty and romantic sister, Modern Renaissance. Or the bad boy biker dude with Dr. Jekyll ’n Mr. Hyde tendencies coming to take your sweet daughter out. Is she ready for da ride?!!? AND watch out she may want to tame this dude! But should she??? ;) FITCHICKGLOWS

y'all. this palette. it's drop dead gorgeous. i mean it, the colors are stupid pretty. with fall coming up and our usual choices seemingly awash in an endless sea of peaches, pinks and neutrals, this collection of shades is an effing godsend. also, i'm only a moderate hand at makeup (no contouring or smokey eyes for me) and i'm no artist - i draw stick figures and when i cook, things just get plopped on the plate with no ceremony - but this dang thing is inspiring me to dream up tons of looks because all of the shades are so different but also incredibly cohesive.

not gonna lie - you really do have to use an incredibly light hand. also, the blending is a bit dodgy with some of the darker colors and the shade will oxidize so you get a darker look than you'd expect from the pan, but as others have said, just put the colors next to each other as opposed to blending them out on one another. with colors this bold to begin with, your looks is already going to be dramatic, so i feel like less blending and more blocks of color is actually a good aesthetic. also, i know there's the 'omg fallout!' camp out there, but with using a light hand i had basically none. just be gentle with this girl- like most ladies with a tougher look, she's softer inside than you think.

overall, i think this collection is amazing. i've actually never used the ABH MR palette so i came in with no expectations, just a lust for the colors themselves. based on this release alone, ABH has hooked me! be gentle, be wary of blending on the darker colors, and know that it'll take time, and have fun!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought mine from ulta on the release day, and I've been wearing this palette for several weeks before being able to write a review. Due to insanely polarizing opinions about this product I took it as a personal challenge to see if it's really that bad and if I can make it look good on my hooded eyes.
There are definitely some problems, I'll start with them:
All matte shades have heavy fallout, no matter how lightly I tap the brush to the pan. However, I DID NOT hit pan with one swipe! It's been 3 weeks of daily use and I only slightly dented the surface of my most used shades. Also fallout on it's own does not make or break the palette for me, because I enjoy working with different formulas, and some of them have insane fallout as well. But if that's a huge issue for you then don't buy this product, you gonna hate the eyeshadow powder spilling on your cheeks.

Poor blendability of some shades. All Star and Rowdy are very VERY difficult to diffuse. It's possible, but not pleasurable to do. Sometimes it can turn patchy, and it's very difficult to fix. I use the brush which came with the palette for this job, and, barely touching the lid, I use circular motion to diffuse the color. It might end up patchy no matter what you do, so be prepared for that. I don't have problems blending any other shades though. Even Axis blends well for me.

Oxidation. Some colors show significant darkening when applied to the lid: Destiny, Untamed and Edge all do that. You will end up with a darker look than planned. It will still be beautiful, but not what expected.

Layering difficulties. Some colors don't play well together when applied on top of each other. Darker green shades turn into blackish mud when applied over burgundy. If these shades are placed next to each other there's no problem with color distinction.

Shimmer shades problems: Electric is so beautiful but very temperamental. I developed a hard pan in my shadow after two uses, and was forced to find dupes. Electric is not pigmented enough to be used as eyeshadow, it's rather an eyeshadow topper. A perfect dupe for it is UD Sideline. Cube is not pigmented at all, plus I fail to see how it's beneficial for the overall color scheme of the palette. Adorn is a stunning color, and the only one I have no problems with.

Positives: I just love the collection of colors in this palette! It's a refreshing novelty in the sea of burgundy- peach -brown boredom. If the shades performed better this palette would be my HG. I was able to create many stunning looks despite the problems I mentioned. The matte eyeshadows are intensely pigmented, probably the most pigmented colors I've ever worked with, therefore a very small amount covers the whole lid. (Use smaller brushes for crease and outer V). I also love the brush, that's the only brush I use for my creasework ever (I collected three of them already). Most mattes (except the two) blend well for me and create beautiful gradations of color on my lids.

Overall due to problems I've mentioned I can't recommend this palette to a friend, but I like it enough to keep and continue to use for myself.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Cheap consistently, average colors or worth the price, bad sizing

I think I've figured it out. Abh sends their PR to small YouTubers only, so the big ones have no incentive to sell this one and would rather you save your money to splurge on their Morphe affiliate codes. LMAO
Srsly, this palette is amazing, but you do have to be willing to learn and use it differently. It is highly pigmented and thus needs a different hand than your everyday disappointing mattes. If you don't have time for that, I really think that's a user issue not a quality one- but hey, it's just makeup.

First of all I'm no make up artist. I'm just your regular super duper make up enthusiast. So that being said I tested the shadows in store. I am not a fan on the 2 army greens but that's just my preference. The rest of the colors are beautiful esthetically. Like others have said the combination of colors are inspirational to anyone open to create imaginative looks. So don't get this if your not into make up play/ experimentation. I experienced a small amount of kick back but nothing unusually weird. As compared to my lorac shadows they are about the same. As of blending the shadows did well while using my RT small shading brush. The mattes are Very pigmented that should be built up slowly. Remember this process will go slow. I used my lorac primer and set with lancome translucent powder then my lancome bone color shadow. You can't blend out/ blow out the shadows right away. They must be built up and then lightly and gently blended to get the best results. The metallic shades are best applied with fingers or a very tiny dense brush. Again a slow process. I used dawn in crease with Roxy, used all star with rowdy in outer V and placed new wave on mobile lid. I placed adorned between new wave and all-star then gently blended with finger. Finally I used cube in tear duct then Roxy/all star in bottom lash line. Love it but, not beginner friendly, not heavy handed friendly, not person on the go friendly. I just used Real techniques, black elf detail brush and my small eco tool travel set. Im giving it a 4 because the pigmentation is outstanding. But it is up to you the user to decide if this amount of experimentation is worth it for your and your money.

The only shades I have struggled with are Cube and Electric. The matte shades require some care to apply and blend, but I am absolutely in love with the colour palette. I would recommend patience to learn how to work with these. I would absolutely buy this again.

I ADORE THIS!!! The controversy is pretty stupid. Like unless there is bad batches I'm not saying there isn't. My batch was p7 something. But I've seen people with my batch be so dramatic and follow the crowd on YouTube and try and make a massive deal over the fallout by swirling their brush in hard and holding the palette up so the fallout falls everywhere. Omg seriously who the heck does that in real life. You just tap into the eyeshadows abit and use them. This is ultra pigmented and gorgeous !!!!! The colours challenged me to come up with gorgeous stunning looks I would have never done before. They last all day on the eyes. I've never had eyeshadows this pigmented and I personally adore that !! I'm sick of eyeshadows that don't show up true to colour or vibrant. These are stunning. cube and electric are pretty bad swatched but when you use a brush and use them as inner corner highlights they're stunning !!! I use cube as an inner corner highlight and it adds a gorgeous shift to my look I adore it. I love love love the shades and the different looks you can come up with. I have the modern renaissance and that palette is GORGEOUS and amazing. and so is subculture !!!!!! You just have to be softer with it. They blend amazing. I don't know what all the fuss is about. People are so ridiculously dramatic and ingenuine sometimes it annoys me.