Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture

3.2

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I bought this last year. I kept avoiding it because I had seen all of the negative reviews so I figured it would just be a big disappointment but I still stopped to admire the colors every time I was in Sephora. Finally I could resist the temptation no longer and I bought in spite of all the awful things I had heard.

I have to say I have created some really beautiful looks with this palette. It probably helped that I had watched so many you tube reviews before I purchased. I started off knowing that they were soft and powdery. I knew to only very lightly touch my brush to the shadows. I knew that some colors were going to be difficult to blend and that some colors didn't play well with others.

The colors are beautiful but they are not true to what you see in the pan. Most of them apply much darker than you would expect. For example the color destiny looks like a soft olive green but when applied it looks like it's a taupe. Edge looks like a mustard yellow but goes on looking more orange. Untamed looks green in the pan but when applied and blended it become a muddy dark grey. So that took some getting used to. My favorite colors are Dawn, Roxy, New Wave, Edge, All Star and Axis. The lighter shades blend nicely and look good together. Do not try to combine or blend 2 darker shade together and remember that some shades are much darker than you would expect. Like Rowdy looks much darker than Mercury but when blended they are almost the same dark shade.

The darker shades cannot be layered or blended closely together because you end up with mud. I will work with the lightest colors for layering and blending. Then I use the darker shades just for a outer corner color and blended every so gently so as not to smear it into the other colors. Whenever I use this palette I get compliments on my eye shadow and people ask me what I used so it can be used to create some very pretty looks.

All that being said I couldn't give it more than 3 lippies because there are too many drawbacks. There are at least three 4 shades in this palette that I will never use which isn't all that bad because I never use every shade in any palette. Every shadow palette I've ever owned has several shades that I just don't like or are unflattering to me. However I don't like any of the shimmers in this palette. Electric is just impossible to apply. I can't get any of the pigment to stick to my eyelid and it's the same with Cube which is actually a shimmery pink but it looks like some weird glowy white color in the pa. Adorn is okay but it doesn't really impress.

Also this isn't a palette that you can use on days that you just want a light make up day or when your in a rush. Everything has to be applied so carefully and with such a light touch that you wouldn't want to attempt it if you are in a hurry or not really focused on your make up application. I would recommend this to someone who likes to experiment and have fun, it will be rewarding, but its not for people who don't want to have to commit to spending the extra time and attention.. I only reach for this palette maybe 2 or 3 times a month on days when I want to have fun and experiment, for daily makeup I much prefer my more straight forward and easy to understand palettes. This palette is just for fun and I would not purchase it again.

I’m gonna yank this baby up in ratings! Yes there’s kickback (powder) but the colors are so rich and pigmented you only need a light touch. Placing colors works better for me than blending/dragging, with a stiff pencil brush to blur edges. What I like the most is how good it is for a mature face - lots of mattes, no chunky glitter but good shimmers, and rich but wearable colors. I can’t pull off bright blue or lemon yellow, for instance, but the muted deep peacock and mustardy yellow in this palette are sophisticated and very wearable.

As for the muddy when layered complaint, this works best when you use just 2-4 shades with minimal overlap - it’s great for people who don’t want to blend lots of colors for a super complex look. Yet the shades are complex on their own so it works.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Here is my story: I loved the color scheme. I find it very flattering and very inspiring. But after reading all the reviews and watching all the youtube videos on it, I decided to give it a pass. Then, I found the Revolution (Iconic Division) dupe in store and thought I would give it a try. I loved loved the Revolution one. I had some pigmentation/blendability issues, but really nothing noteworthy. I loved the texture of several shades. I used the palette a lot and got several compliments on my eyeshadow looks from other people, which never really happens.
Then I though that for ethical reasons, if I liked the dupe so much, I should buy the original, since the creative work of putting these shades together should be compensated. Paid full price. I wish I could return it. It is that bad. Shades do not blend, have a different color on the pan vs. lid, skip, turn grey, and worst of all lift - as in leave bald patches that never fill. They can also vanish when you blend, making you have to continue to pack on. I don't even know how it is possible to have all these problems together from only one formula. Yes, we have to both build very slowly and pack on a lot, and we have to both blend a lot and avoid blending.
I still love the looks I get, and I can use it, but I take about three times longer with this palette to do my eye look, compared to with the Revolution dupe. Disclaimer: maybe this is because I got used to the other one first.

In sum, do I recommend it? Yes, although I recommend more the Revolution one. Most times you will get a beautiful look. And there are a good variety of looks you can achieve. Just be aware that you might sometimes have to wipe the eyeshadow off and start all over again. Even if this never ever happens to you.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I use it in combination with Prism palette especially when using green shades.
For my skin tone I find Edge not to be so flattering, but it is one shade. As for the formula, it is same as Prism or Modern Reneissance, you simply have to get used to it if you never used it before.
I think someone might think of it as a bold palette, due to shades it delivers, but I think that it can also be well combined with some neutral shades and add some of these as highlight of the make-up.

The colors are beautiful and the packaging is beautiful. The colors remind me of grunge, forests, thrift shops and the 70's.
There is a lot of fall out and I can handle that but the colors are extremely hard to blend, they turn GREY when you blend them together. What?! I know how to use eyeshadows and with this palette it's almost impossible. I can use only one, MAYBE two colors on my eyelid, they will turn grey if I use more.
I lost my interest in Anastasia palettes after experiencing this palette. Maybe I will purchase more but Anastasia really needs to show that they can make gorgeous eyeshadows like Modern Renaissance. Prism and Soft Glam seem kinda boring.
Good dupe for this palette would be Makeup Revolution's Iconic Division palette. It's cheap and the colors probably won't change their color like in this $50 palette.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I squealed and picked this up at TJMaxx when I saw it for $25. (Later discounted a mere 3 weeks later to $21 at Sephora! *shakes fist*) This was a blind purchase, I had been out of loop, so discovered all the controversy AFTER taking it home. Boy was I sweating bullets after.

I'm glad I kept it, it's become one of my favorite palettes in my collection.

YES it's all true. This palette is not for beginners, they are barely pressed pigments, they require special consideration and need different brushes and application techniques based on the shade. I am a light touch dabber with my brush with any eyeshadow, so light that after using a palette, it still looks untouched. Not so with this one. I barely touch the top of Dawn (the softest), and the surface is definitely blemished. However, no it's not as dusty as in the videos as I don't put enough on to warrant tapping off excess, and I had no fall out with any of the shades. (I rarely do with any brand thanks to the Hakuhodo J5533, my one and done goat hair blender brush.) I can completely see this being a nightmare dust cloud with the wrong type of brush.

I love the color story. Anastasia describes the shades as "grungey" so yes, none are bright, all look murky, autumnal on the lid. Yes, the matte shades are powdery and will darken on the lid especially if they are oily like mine. Yes, unless you are fair, these shades will not pop but just.. murk ominously. I am NC35-N40 yellow with strong cool undertones translating to mega olive, and shades like All Star, a burgundy wine, turn into a red toned brown on my skin.

And as for the much maligned Cube and Electric? I would never use a wet brush or finger with these shades, guaranteed hardened surface. A stiff lay down brush like the Shu Natural 10 worked perfect for me, I would use the tip of it to "break" the surface and the flakey particles picked up just fine. I particularly like Electric as a topper, it brings a dimension of drama to any of the murky shades, livens them right up.

I love a challenge, I love creative looks. If you are like me, you too will enjoy this palette. There are rumors that it will be discontinued soon, so definitely don't be afraid to pick this one up if you are looking for something to flex your makeup artistry muscle. If you want something that blends effortlessly and comes together in 5 mins without having to think too hard, move on.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Like a lot of people, I jumped when I saw this for half price. I've seen all the reviews and knew to expect some drawbacks and while it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, it still had a few issues.
- The shadows are soft and get a bit of kickback, but it's not falling out in buckets like you saw on youtube. I haven't gotten any fallout on my face or over the palette.
- Half of the shadows work completely fine and look great, they go on easily and blend out like a dream (Dawn, All Star, Roxy, Fudge, New Wave). Unfortunately these are all the shades that come in nearly every palette. The blues and greens give me the most grief and they're the ones that are unique and drew me to this palette in the first place. These are the patchy shades people talk about that basically need to be layed down rather than blended out. Plus these particular shades noticeably fade after a few hours compared to the others.
- my biggest annoyance is that the shades in the pan look completely different once you wear them. Almost every colour looks muted and dull on my lids, and makes the blues/greens/yellows look like a giant bruise. Mercury is also very taupe like in the pan but looks like a muted down grey/black on the lids.
- The shimmers are not consistent at all. Cube is this weird invisible slightly holographic thing that just doesnt belong, Electric has no base but gives you neon green sparkles, and Adorn actually looks great on its own or paired with shades like Dawn and Fudge.

I'm happy I bought this when it was so heavily discounted, even though I feel my review was largely negative I still enjoy and use almost half of the palette. Unfortunately the shades I enjoy using are not very unique so I would not recommend buying this if you're getting it mainly for the blues and greens.

Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I just recently purchased this palette. Sephora did a dramatic markdown of this and it was a steal so why not? I've seen all the terrible reviews on this but I also saw the good reviews for this palette too. I love this palette and I'm shocked. I know how to work with this one because I did my research. The formula for this palette is super powdery and highly pigmented. A recipe for disaster if you don't know what your doing. You only need to dot your brush in the pod, not dig into it like you would other palettes. The colors blend effortlessly, no patchiness, and there is not a lot of fall-out when applied with a light hand. The colors are vibrant and each compliment eachother. This is my favorite palette right now and i NEVER thought i'd say that.

I've been playing with this for a while now. i bought it after watching videos on how to make it work and because i loved the colour scheme, thought I'd give it a go.

Its as bad as people say.

The kickup isn't the problem, these shadows don't blend, the quality of the shadows is all over the shop and honestly, they just don't wear well. People say, oh, they're very pigmented. Yeah. for about 15minutes and then you go about your day and they quickly fade away to nothing. People say, but they are pigments, they aren't supposed to blend - so why do my el cheapo very old L'Oreal infallible pigments wear and apply so much better than this palette?

My issues are - i need to keep a detailed list of which shadows require which brush. Some blend, most don't, which is especially surprising for mattes. The greens don't blend well at all - you have to use a flat brush and place them. I could live with that if they lasted, but they don't. I am careful with placing the shadows, with only blending out the yellows and orange family, with planning my eye shadow look before i start, with doing my eyes first then the rest of the face once I've cleaned up. And yes, with a lot of care you can get a look that you can dupe from other shadows in your collection if you have a number of palettes and singles. Then, 2-3 hours later - everything has creased and worn off no matter what bases i use. What is the point of having very pigmented shadows if all they are good for is taking a couple of pictures for instagram and then removing? The tragedy is that I have greens from Revlon and Maybelline with better lasting power than the ones from this palette. I can't return this palette, i love the colour scheme, but geez ABH, this is a dog of a palette. Huda remastered her rose gold palette, if anything, ABH should have remastered this one.

I love this palette!!! The colors are so bold and pigmented and easily blendable. Yes there is a little kick up but I find that I have a little kick up with any palette I use (I always TAP my brushes in eyeshadow, I never swirl them). I like to use a dampened brush or my fingers to apply the shimmery shades but I prefer that method with most shimmer shades anyways so I dont care about that either!

I think the hate on this palette on youtube was so over exagurated...this palette is easy to use! I have subculture and prism and I love them both!

4/5 for packaging because the velvet on the outside gets dirty so easy..i prefer a hard outside so it can be cleaned off.