Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture

3.2

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I squealed and picked this up at TJMaxx when I saw it for $25. (Later discounted a mere 3 weeks later to $21 at Sephora! *shakes fist*) This was a blind purchase, I had been out of loop, so discovered all the controversy AFTER taking it home. Boy was I sweating bullets after.

I'm glad I kept it, it's become one of my favorite palettes in my collection.

YES it's all true. This palette is not for beginners, they are barely pressed pigments, they require special consideration and need different brushes and application techniques based on the shade. I am a light touch dabber with my brush with any eyeshadow, so light that after using a palette, it still looks untouched. Not so with this one. I barely touch the top of Dawn (the softest), and the surface is definitely blemished. However, no it's not as dusty as in the videos as I don't put enough on to warrant tapping off excess, and I had no fall out with any of the shades. (I rarely do with any brand thanks to the Hakuhodo J5533, my one and done goat hair blender brush.) I can completely see this being a nightmare dust cloud with the wrong type of brush.

I love the color story. Anastasia describes the shades as "grungey" so yes, none are bright, all look murky, autumnal on the lid. Yes, the matte shades are powdery and will darken on the lid especially if they are oily like mine. Yes, unless you are fair, these shades will not pop but just.. murk ominously. I am NC35-N40 yellow with strong cool undertones translating to mega olive, and shades like All Star, a burgundy wine, turn into a red toned brown on my skin.

And as for the much maligned Cube and Electric? I would never use a wet brush or finger with these shades, guaranteed hardened surface. A stiff lay down brush like the Shu Natural 10 worked perfect for me, I would use the tip of it to "break" the surface and the flakey particles picked up just fine. I particularly like Electric as a topper, it brings a dimension of drama to any of the murky shades, livens them right up.

I love a challenge, I love creative looks. If you are like me, you too will enjoy this palette. There are rumors that it will be discontinued soon, so definitely don't be afraid to pick this one up if you are looking for something to flex your makeup artistry muscle. If you want something that blends effortlessly and comes together in 5 mins without having to think too hard, move on.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Like a lot of people, I jumped when I saw this for half price. I've seen all the reviews and knew to expect some drawbacks and while it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, it still had a few issues.
- The shadows are soft and get a bit of kickback, but it's not falling out in buckets like you saw on youtube. I haven't gotten any fallout on my face or over the palette.
- Half of the shadows work completely fine and look great, they go on easily and blend out like a dream (Dawn, All Star, Roxy, Fudge, New Wave). Unfortunately these are all the shades that come in nearly every palette. The blues and greens give me the most grief and they're the ones that are unique and drew me to this palette in the first place. These are the patchy shades people talk about that basically need to be layed down rather than blended out. Plus these particular shades noticeably fade after a few hours compared to the others.
- my biggest annoyance is that the shades in the pan look completely different once you wear them. Almost every colour looks muted and dull on my lids, and makes the blues/greens/yellows look like a giant bruise. Mercury is also very taupe like in the pan but looks like a muted down grey/black on the lids.
- The shimmers are not consistent at all. Cube is this weird invisible slightly holographic thing that just doesnt belong, Electric has no base but gives you neon green sparkles, and Adorn actually looks great on its own or paired with shades like Dawn and Fudge.

I'm happy I bought this when it was so heavily discounted, even though I feel my review was largely negative I still enjoy and use almost half of the palette. Unfortunately the shades I enjoy using are not very unique so I would not recommend buying this if you're getting it mainly for the blues and greens.

Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I just recently purchased this palette. Sephora did a dramatic markdown of this and it was a steal so why not? I've seen all the terrible reviews on this but I also saw the good reviews for this palette too. I love this palette and I'm shocked. I know how to work with this one because I did my research. The formula for this palette is super powdery and highly pigmented. A recipe for disaster if you don't know what your doing. You only need to dot your brush in the pod, not dig into it like you would other palettes. The colors blend effortlessly, no patchiness, and there is not a lot of fall-out when applied with a light hand. The colors are vibrant and each compliment eachother. This is my favorite palette right now and i NEVER thought i'd say that.

I've been playing with this for a while now. i bought it after watching videos on how to make it work and because i loved the colour scheme, thought I'd give it a go.

Its as bad as people say.

The kickup isn't the problem, these shadows don't blend, the quality of the shadows is all over the shop and honestly, they just don't wear well. People say, oh, they're very pigmented. Yeah. for about 15minutes and then you go about your day and they quickly fade away to nothing. People say, but they are pigments, they aren't supposed to blend - so why do my el cheapo very old L'Oreal infallible pigments wear and apply so much better than this palette?

My issues are - i need to keep a detailed list of which shadows require which brush. Some blend, most don't, which is especially surprising for mattes. The greens don't blend well at all - you have to use a flat brush and place them. I could live with that if they lasted, but they don't. I am careful with placing the shadows, with only blending out the yellows and orange family, with planning my eye shadow look before i start, with doing my eyes first then the rest of the face once I've cleaned up. And yes, with a lot of care you can get a look that you can dupe from other shadows in your collection if you have a number of palettes and singles. Then, 2-3 hours later - everything has creased and worn off no matter what bases i use. What is the point of having very pigmented shadows if all they are good for is taking a couple of pictures for instagram and then removing? The tragedy is that I have greens from Revlon and Maybelline with better lasting power than the ones from this palette. I can't return this palette, i love the colour scheme, but geez ABH, this is a dog of a palette. Huda remastered her rose gold palette, if anything, ABH should have remastered this one.

I love this palette!!! The colors are so bold and pigmented and easily blendable. Yes there is a little kick up but I find that I have a little kick up with any palette I use (I always TAP my brushes in eyeshadow, I never swirl them). I like to use a dampened brush or my fingers to apply the shimmery shades but I prefer that method with most shimmer shades anyways so I dont care about that either!

I think the hate on this palette on youtube was so over exagurated...this palette is easy to use! I have subculture and prism and I love them both!

4/5 for packaging because the velvet on the outside gets dirty so easy..i prefer a hard outside so it can be cleaned off.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really wanted to love this but I’m bummed out!! Right off the bat, the shimmer shades are garbage even applied with the fingers. I took the disclaimers a little too lightly because when it came down to it, my eye look was really time consuming. The color schemes are so beautiful, like nothing I’ve seen before. Immediately my eyes gravitated to the green and magenta. I have very hooded eyes and not a lot of space to work with but I went for the halo look. Once I spent my time carefully blending so it doesn’t go outside the lines of my eyes, my efforts go to waste. I tried to layer and “deepen” the outer corners with the next shadow completely covered the hard work I did underneath. The orange blending transition shade is good though. I used with with Soft Glam to create a green, magenta, gold halo eye look. I probably will return but I don’t completely hate this palette.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I was intrigued by the color scheme of the palette, so I bought it but ended up returning it. I hated the shade cube because it was so dry and had no pigment along with the electric green shade. The metallic gold was ok but didn’t pick up well on a brush and I had to pack it on with my fingers, which may be fine for some people but a palette this expensive should have shadows that apply well both ways. The mattes were very pigmented, but quite difficult for me to blend.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is definitely not your ordinary palette, the colors are bold, pigmented and don’t allow for any haste, you gotta be careful with color selection and willing to have patience applying & blending. ABH describes it as a “compliment” to their modern renissance palette, and I agree with this, as the only way I find I can play it safe is to work from both palettes side by side and sticking with 3-4 colors max (4th being used as an eyeliner). I wish I could grunge it out as it calls to me to be. BTW, it also partners well with soft glam.
I don’t have much experience working with pigments and hope I’m right assuming this is what these shadows can be considered as. I got this because I felt it would present a true challenge to be creative when applying eyeshadow, there are just too many other pallets, formulas and shades out there where it’s perfectly fine to dig into a pan, load up a brush, and pack it on like a 5 year old. It is not by any means a “must have”.
At this price point it is very fair to expect more than a medicore velvet and cardboard case, I recommend keeping the box and putting it immediately back in it after use to help keep it clean.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Other, Relaxed, Coarse

I think a lot of people let influencers on YouTube convince them that this palette is horrible.yes it has some Fallout but it's not that extreme and you shouldn't be swirling your brushes around in the pan anyway. you should always tap each brush. The colord are very pigmented they blend pretty easy and the color scheme of the palette is so different from anything that I own. I would definitely purchase it again if you've been looking at this and you wanted it but have been scared to purchase it because of reviews on YouTube I say purchase it and you won't be disappointed if you think for yourself. but if you are a trend buyer then it is a for you.

Controversial, I know, however this palette provides some gorgeous eyeshadows with extreme pigmentation - the trick is a light hand and a willingness to suffer a little fall out. The price point is about average for an ABH set of shadows and I would have never marketed it as a companion to the Modern Renaissance Palette but I have grown fond of this and use it more than I use the modern renaissance as the reds and pinks in there are just too bright for me. There are some wonderfully unusual matte colors in here - yellow and pinky/peach shades that I have not seen elsewhere. I am very careful with how I attempt to blend them as certain of the colors (like the deep teals) don't necessarily work well with others - they can become muddy if not applied and blended well but the tones in this grouping are different than everything we are seeing these days and I do enjoy it. Use a VERY light touch when picking up the mattes in here!! I have never regretted buying this!