Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by age: 36-43

3.1

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Well, it's not Made in China, like most of her makeup. I got this at TJ Maxx for half price and it's not bad at all. I mean, I don't wear eyeshadow like a Youtuber. There is no way I can go to work and be taken seriously by my co-workers wearing Youtube or Instagram eyeshadow/makeup. With that said, if you put these colors on with a light hand, it will look like any other eyeshadow you may wear and that includes drugstore, so keep that in mind.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Here is my story: I loved the color scheme. I find it very flattering and very inspiring. But after reading all the reviews and watching all the youtube videos on it, I decided to give it a pass. Then, I found the Revolution (Iconic Division) dupe in store and thought I would give it a try. I loved loved the Revolution one. I had some pigmentation/blendability issues, but really nothing noteworthy. I loved the texture of several shades. I used the palette a lot and got several compliments on my eyeshadow looks from other people, which never really happens.
Then I though that for ethical reasons, if I liked the dupe so much, I should buy the original, since the creative work of putting these shades together should be compensated. Paid full price. I wish I could return it. It is that bad. Shades do not blend, have a different color on the pan vs. lid, skip, turn grey, and worst of all lift - as in leave bald patches that never fill. They can also vanish when you blend, making you have to continue to pack on. I don't even know how it is possible to have all these problems together from only one formula. Yes, we have to both build very slowly and pack on a lot, and we have to both blend a lot and avoid blending.
I still love the looks I get, and I can use it, but I take about three times longer with this palette to do my eye look, compared to with the Revolution dupe. Disclaimer: maybe this is because I got used to the other one first.

In sum, do I recommend it? Yes, although I recommend more the Revolution one. Most times you will get a beautiful look. And there are a good variety of looks you can achieve. Just be aware that you might sometimes have to wipe the eyeshadow off and start all over again. Even if this never ever happens to you.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I squealed and picked this up at TJMaxx when I saw it for $25. (Later discounted a mere 3 weeks later to $21 at Sephora! *shakes fist*) This was a blind purchase, I had been out of loop, so discovered all the controversy AFTER taking it home. Boy was I sweating bullets after.

I'm glad I kept it, it's become one of my favorite palettes in my collection.

YES it's all true. This palette is not for beginners, they are barely pressed pigments, they require special consideration and need different brushes and application techniques based on the shade. I am a light touch dabber with my brush with any eyeshadow, so light that after using a palette, it still looks untouched. Not so with this one. I barely touch the top of Dawn (the softest), and the surface is definitely blemished. However, no it's not as dusty as in the videos as I don't put enough on to warrant tapping off excess, and I had no fall out with any of the shades. (I rarely do with any brand thanks to the Hakuhodo J5533, my one and done goat hair blender brush.) I can completely see this being a nightmare dust cloud with the wrong type of brush.

I love the color story. Anastasia describes the shades as "grungey" so yes, none are bright, all look murky, autumnal on the lid. Yes, the matte shades are powdery and will darken on the lid especially if they are oily like mine. Yes, unless you are fair, these shades will not pop but just.. murk ominously. I am NC35-N40 yellow with strong cool undertones translating to mega olive, and shades like All Star, a burgundy wine, turn into a red toned brown on my skin.

And as for the much maligned Cube and Electric? I would never use a wet brush or finger with these shades, guaranteed hardened surface. A stiff lay down brush like the Shu Natural 10 worked perfect for me, I would use the tip of it to "break" the surface and the flakey particles picked up just fine. I particularly like Electric as a topper, it brings a dimension of drama to any of the murky shades, livens them right up.

I love a challenge, I love creative looks. If you are like me, you too will enjoy this palette. There are rumors that it will be discontinued soon, so definitely don't be afraid to pick this one up if you are looking for something to flex your makeup artistry muscle. If you want something that blends effortlessly and comes together in 5 mins without having to think too hard, move on.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

WHYYYYYYY?

To start - I do not hate this. At all.

But

I absolutely loved Modern Renaissance and used it almost daily over the last year.
Just when I was down to pan on several shades Subculture emerged- and - though I probably would have gone for it anyway, it has the one color I'm ALWAYS looking for but can never find - Edge, which is like a curry/mustard. So that sealed the deal.

Just as MR, I find this palette to have a successful , sophisticated, very wearable yet varied color-play. I love that these palettes aren't just essentially the same color over and over again. I stopped buying palettes that had me forgetting which shade I just used from one second to the next. I finally realized- it's not me it's them.

All that having been said, and as much as I wanted to rave about this, I must admit that some of the shadows fall short in the texture/pigment/blend-ability department. Unlike MR, which provided consistent excellence throughout, Subculture is a bit of a mine field. The dark shades (Rowdy, Axis) are very difficult to blend successfully, and while that does tend to happen with dark pigmented shadows, these are more like powder liners. Which I was ok with, and fine with using them as such.

I love the color Fudge but even that I find a bit difficult to work with. Tends to go patchy without real diligence.

Then there are the light, iridescent shades; Cube and Electric. Electric is decent, although a "creamier" shadow would pop more, and Cube hardly applies at all. As another reviewer pointed out it's more of a glaze.

In summary, I like this palette. It's not crazy expensive and I think it's worth what I paid for it. The colors are beautiful. I will probably never use green eyeshadow but I can't expect every shade to suit me, and I know a lot of women who would look great in every single shadow offered here.
That said, I find it lacks the user-friendly, easy-to-work-with, winning combination of both beautiful shades AND excellent quality that I found Modern Renaissance provided.

UPDATE 5/2/18 - after living with this palette for a while I’ve become less forgiving of its shortcomings. I’m actually scared of it. Most of the pigmented darker shades are unworkable. They don’t blend well regardless of what brush/technique I’ve attempted. Incredibly difficult to use successfully. The iridescent/metallic shades are the opposite. They practically don’t apply at all. The lighter mattes/satins are excellent but they’re surrounded by so many bullies that if the brush accidentally picks up a tiny amount of them, it’s a big inky mess.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I actually love this palette!!The pigmentation is spot on. I've heard some people say that there's a lot of "kick back" and you'll hit the pan faster as a result. I don't find it any different from MR as far as the fall out. I have Golden Deep tone, so I find the colors and pay off to be complementary. New on my top 5!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Electric and Cube were unusable- lacking pigmentation at all and doesn't show up on arm or lid. The rest of shadows were good however most don't match my tone or face overall especially dark green and blue colors. Was expecting quality like the MR but it didn't thus returned it to ABH website.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I had my eye on this palette for the longest! The color scheme attracted me, it's so unique and most of the colors I don't already own. I had zero problems using this palette. I watched the drama that was led by Alissa on YouTube about this palette and I was almost convinced not to purchase it. I'm glad I ignored the foolishness. I really believe had Alissa said this palette was amazing and that she loved it, the reviews about this palette would have been totally different and overall positive.

The shadows are pressed softly which means you can't go digging and raking in them and not expect some fallout. I feel like a lot of the negative reviews particularly the YouTube reviews are not genuine and are not about providing an honest review but more about jumping on the bandwagon, fanning the flames and creating negative drama for likes and views. The folks hitting pan during 1 use is just insane and being extra for no reason. Stop the madness.

I played with this palette for a week. I guess the easiest to review this is point form
1) too pigmentes
2) too powdery
3) Not easy to work with
4) is it ''useable'' and ''workable''? YES
5) nice longevity with a primer
6) how to apply the eyeshadows? by tape it in, by using a small natural brush
If you want to purchased the new wave palette please do so, they will be more firmly press eyeshadow. I did buy the 1st version palette I will keep it. I was able to do some 'nice(ish) look and I will use the palette with other brand which I think will help. but be aware and you will like it!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I would give this a 0 lippy if I could...

I am so disappointed, I want to cry. Now, I know that's a little over dramatic (I mean, it's makeup), but I have been so freaking excited about and... i am so disappointed. If you are on the fence about this palette - RUN AWAY. SAVE YOUR MONEY. Use it on something that isn't awful.

I bought Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Palette and I thought I would love it. I mean, i love LOVE LOVE her eyeshadows, and I loved her Modern Renissance and Mario palette.

Subculture was such a disappointment. Like it was horrible. The colors are beautiful. Below is a list from the ABH website:
Roxy - Ultra matte muted coral
Adorn - Metallic bronze
Destiny - Ultra-matte sage green
Dawn - Ultra-matte sand
Cube - Duo chrome pink pearl

I was so excited about it. But... let's talk about what is so horribly awful about this palette. And this is hard, because I am a die hard fan of Anastasia of Beverly Hills.

1. Look in my profile and see my eyemakeup for subculture. It is patchy, didn't blend, and at first, I thought it was my makeup skills. Guys, I've been doing makeup for 15 years on my face, I know how to blend, but I was convinced that it had to be my skills because the blending was terrible. It was so patchy it's ridiculous. Highly pigmenented? YES, BUT insanely patchy.

2. Powder, powder everywhere. Powder was all over the other eyeshadows, all over me, all over my desk. My desk looked like fall had arrived, but instead of leaves it was fallout.

3. The colors, although beautiful, did something crazy. They darkened as I blended it in, rather than sheering out, it almost deepened in color. Is that a thing? If not, it was kinda cool, but not for the look I was going for.

4. I tried a minimum of 8 eyelooks. At first I loved the palette, but I think I loved the colors more than the actual formula. It was pretty bad. The formula is so bad that I can't get it to work. I can't. I tried, God help me, I tried, but it didn't do anything. I've heard though that the formula is different from the MR PALETTE (though, I kinda already figured that out) but it's ridiculous.

Honestly, this is probably one of the biggest makeup regrets I have made. This palette really is that bad, and I regret it. I hope to God someone out there is using it and has a better experience than I did, but I will say that this is the worst palette i have in my collection and I am working on getting it returned ASAP - and I don't return things "just because" either.