Urban Decay Vice Special Effects Long-Lasting Water-Resistant Lip Topcoat

No Image

4.7

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 9/12/2018 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I received this in Fever as part of a Sephora nude lips package deal.

First off, I'm not too crazy about lip glosses or liquid lipsticks. But I have to say, this is a fun topper. The color Fever looks kind of peachy with a holographic shimmer in the tube, but applied, the peachiness is really sheer, but you get that pretty holographic effect, with lots of super tiny sparkles that glint green and blue. It's a thin liquid that's doesn't feel textured or anything. It sets and feels comfy on the lips, but it does dry, but doesn't feel drying. I've even applied it on cheeks for a tiny pop of shimmer. There's no scent or flavor. Staying power is decent.

So, I give it a high rating, but wouldn't repurchase. That's not a black mark, so to speak, on the product. It's simply that I wouldn't use this a lot, so I see no real situation where I'd use this so often that it would merit a necessarily re-purchase. It's just that I prefer other lip formulas is all. But it's beautiful, fun and easy and comfortable to use.

This is for the shades White Lie and Seether. A duochrome shade which gives your lipstick color a new vibe. Application is easy. You need to work with care since the product dries quickly. My lips feal sealed, and a bit drying after application. But it's acceptable for me. But I prefer this since it's long lasting unlike other lip toppers. This product won't crack, so don't expect a liquid lipstick like desaster. The look is like OMG! I feal like a mermaid with White Lie. A beautiful blue metallic sheen appears over a blue based rose liquid lipstick. I guess this doesn't change much with different colors but just try it if you want to reach unicorn/mermaid status. Applied over a drying liquid lipstick it lasts very good unless you eat something oily, then it might fade. Applied over a satin-matte lipstick (made matte with the tissue-powder-method) it doesn't last that long and will fade. Seether is a beautiful orange shade with a gold metallic glittery sheen. It looks beautiful on its own. It's a good outstanding color for office or school (as long as you keep the rest of your makeup minimal). I can't wait to wear the other shades. Urban Decay really did an awesome job with the shades and their formula.

I have the shades Seether and Fever.

I've really enjoyed these topcoats! I feel like I'm almost at a point where I have just about every shade of lipstick that would suit me. I also feel like I've outgrown lip glosses; I don't tend to enjoy the feeling they leave behind on my lips, how much they transfer, their longevity, and how they effect the durability of my lipsticks when used as a topcoat. So when I saw this product, I thought it might be a fun way to add a little excitement to my lipstick wardrobe.

You apply this product on top of your lipstick. You can apply it all over, or place it at strategic points- like at the centre of your lips to create an illusion of fullness, or along the middle of your lips (skipping the edges) for an ombre look. Or around the edges, skipping the middle for a "reverse ombre." The applicator is a small, precise brush, so you can easily control application. The product dries very quickly to a smooth, transfer-proof finish. Visually, it gives your lipstick a duochrome quality and party-ready shimmer- without the messy, sticky/slick feeling of a gloss.

I believe I bought Fever first. It struck me as the most versatile shade (pinky-nude with a touch of red). This one can probably layer over almost any lipstick. I've worn it with pinks, corals, nudes, and a few different varieties of red. It's fun and visually interesting, but not too overpowering if you're shy about this type of product. I felt drawn back to pick up Seether as well, which is a metallic bronze-red. I thought it would suit the red, bronze-red, and bronze-coral shades I tend to favour, and it does! This one has blown me away on top of my red-toned lippies. It makes me so happy.

Another great thing about this topcoat is it extends the life of your lipstick. It lasts longest over a matte or semi-matte lipstick, but it works for satin formulas too by preventing transfer. I haven't taken it swimming so can't speak to how "water-resistant" it is, but it holds up to drinking very well. I should note that some lipsticks are too creamy to use with these topcoats. For example, Bite Amuse Bouche, with all its natural ingredients and oils, does not play well with this topcoat; the formula separates and gets all goopy. But Nars semi-matte & Audacious, KVD, Too Faced Melted Matte, and of course Urban Decay Vice all play nicely.

I might still pickup White Lie, and maybe Copycat. These products are relatively cheap and good value for their versatility in changing up lipsticks. Give them a try!