Essence Volume Stylist 18H Curl & Hold Mascara

After being disappointed with YSL Shock mascara, I decided to buy a real cheap one. So I crossed to the other end and bought this cheap, not so luxurious looking tube. But the mascara is a pretty good one. It intensifies my lashes and it stays put.
Good curl and volume. It is not clumpy but it is not the smoothest formula I've ever used. I honestly cannot expect more from a really cheap mascara. I like it!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is the newest of the Essense mascaras and my fave thus far! When I use by itself it is good, but I found a trick! If I use a lash booster first, then this mascara, it tends to help the separation of my lashes more and gives it that extra volume/lengthen. Now let me state that this isn't great on volume and lengthen, but good. I like it for the curl. I stopped using a lash curler years ago. No matter what curler I used and how, I always {pinched} myself. I have been looking for great curling mascaras ever since. I cannot believe that for $4.99 this one fits the bill. I usually use 2 mascaras to get all that I want. I love Essense Princess false lash in the black bottle with the green lettering, for topping lashes off. I wore this new one, with the booster underneath and much to my surprise the gal at Ulta said I had great lashes! I NEVER hear that and honestly they still weren't as full as I like. You will need to apply slowly if you don't want to clump as it tends to be wettish (due to fibers) It curls, it is pretty dark, gives volume/lengthen. I do recommend using jojoba or an oily eye makeup remover, as the drier formulas won't take off as well. I read this contains some type of wax, which is why it curls.I have stashed a bunch of these and hope they NEVER stop making it! I have tried almost every mascara on the market and this one is a gem and keeper!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

So first off, my ideal mascara would be something that makes my eyelashes look longer, stay curled throughout the day, doesn't smudge and has affordable price. I don't look much for volume, I just want them to stay curled at the very least.

About this mascara, it claims to [on their website] provide "lashes with long-lasting volume and incredible curl."
Did it add some volume? Yeah, my lashes do look thicker. Does it hold the curl for 18hours? So far I've only worn it for 6-8 hours and given that I live in a hot and humid country, it's quite amazing for a non-waterproof mascara to make my lashes stay curled and did not smudge. I like that.

What I don't like about this is that it has a gritty consistency on the lashes that I can see if I look closely. It doesn't give the lashes a smooth coat, if you know what I mean. I see this in my other Essence mascaras and I believe that those are fibers that are supposed to add volume. In their older mascaras, the fibers irritate my eyes, I feel like I have sand on my lashes. This one doesn't irritate my eyes but I don't like the gritty look on my lashes. The fibers also tend to deposit more on the tips of the lashes, making them look unnaturally-heavy.

I still think it's a good mascara and I'm gonna use it up before trying other mascaras in their range.