Clinique Even Better Glow Light Reflecting Makeup SPF 15

Clinique Even Better Glow Light Reflecting Makeup SPF 15
Even Better Glow Light Reflecting Makeup SPF 15

3.3

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is one heavy looking foundation!

My mum is a big fan of the original version of this and surprise surprise, when I managed to obtain a sample pot of this (even two!) during a Clinique event in Scotland I was very interested to try this version too.

Maybe that is the main reason behind NEVER being able to obtain a sample to try the foundation on my own first is that majority of the new releases with a 'glow' in the title are really bad looking on my skin (hello Chanel Les Beiges Sheer Healthy Glow). I have dry skin but without any particular dry patches, wrinkles or pores to hide and I like lightweight, natural looking foundations that I never apply all over and always in the most subtle manner (fingers are my preferred method) as I don't need to cover much. I like Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua, Armani Maestro Glow and on most days I just go out wearing a tinted mineral sunscreen with a tiny bit of powder on top. In short, I like my skin to look natural but perfected.

This product is far from it. It is a thick foundation, colour selection is confusing (I was matched to 4 and...38! I'm 020 in Chanel and Dior, 4 in Armani) and it is pretty matte and heavy looking on the skin even when applied even in a tiny amount and blended out with a wet BB sponge. It does not have any fragrance (Chanel Les Beiges smells like urine...) and the packaging is a squeezable plastic tube so easy to travel with.

I applied it in the morning, and a couple of minutes after application it was heavy, makeup looking, like the pigments were not milled thinly enough and it was sitting on top of the skin, sucking every bit of glow out of it instead of giving it back. It only has spf 15, yet my Kiehl's mineral spf 50 that is not a foundation by any means is thinner in consistency and covers better than this. To cover a tiny red spot on my cheek (it is that time of the month...) I put it on and blended TWICE and in the end I still had to go and spot conceal with Laura Mercier's Secret Camouflage that I keep at the back of my makeup drawer for that sort of emergencies. Quite a lot of faff in the morning! using fingers was out fo the question.

In the end I had to stop patting it desperately with my beauty blender (I skipped setting it with powder as it was dry and matte looking already) and went on about my day. Approximately 6-7 hours later I was meeting my husband for a dinner and I looked at myself in the mirror of the restaurant's loos - it needed blotting, gathered in the folds of my nostrils but at least looked less matte and was not completely gone from my chin and cheeks. So I blotted my forehead just in case and my face looked ok. But I have a pretty good skin that does not need much coverage. A nice thing was that my blush was still visible on my cheeks so it holds on to the products put on top quite well.

Thank you for a sample of this Boots, you saved me £28 worth of a bad looking foundation. Now I just have to get rid of this awful new Chanel one...

on 5/19/2018 2:08:00 AM

A little about my skin - combination; oily t-zone and normal to dry everywhere else. I would describe this foundation as medium coverage and I agree with one of the reviewers before me, it’s not glowy nor is it matte - somewhere in between. I don’t love this when first applied. It sits on top of the skin, no matter how much i blend or prep my skin before application. I find it looks best if I blend with a brush and go over it with a wet beauty sponge. And it is not kind on dry/flakey skin. It looks more natural and skin-like after a few hours of wear, once my natural oils come through. I bought this foundation for weekends - slap and dash. It’s too high-maintenance (blending with two tools) for this purpose and for this reason I won’t be repurchasing.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This product is a lot like the even better original. I almost can’t tell the difference. It doesn’t look glowing and thanks to the colour oxidizing, I now look dirty :(

I got the light colour, breeze. Thank goodness I got a sample of it. I wouldn’t buy this. I found its medium to full coverage heavy and drying :(

I don’t understand why Clinique can’t come out with a hydrating foundation for very fair skin? All their foundations seem to leave me very, very dry :(

on 1/30/2018 7:11:00 PM

I am nc25/30 and meringue is a good match for me. I think the shade is darker than the online description would have you believe. To me it's medium/fair not very fair. Finally found a nice yellowy clinique foundation. Coverage is v light imo. It's not buildable as it starts to feel too gunky. I like this for the glow, a slightly less glowy finish than NARS TM. Beware, it does pool in the pores round my nose. A damp sponge helps with that, but also dilutes the coverage. So it's not the best for redness in the nose area.
It makes quite good skin look naturally better but it's not going to give you a flawless canvas.

on 1/16/2018 10:50:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Not worth the money. I have combination to dry skin and this makes me look like a shiny mess

on 12/7/2017 4:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great foundation. I have oily skin and usually cannot use a glow foundation. I would not say that this foundation is glow foundation, but definitely not matte. Most foundations break up on my skin the longer I wear it, but not this one. Also does not settle too much in fine lines.

on 11/12/2017 4:42:00 PM

I've been dancing around buying from Clinique for years because of their higher-priced items. I finally bit the bullet and tried this product, mostly due to the fact that the Breeze color was the only one that that didn't make my cool-toned skin look orange. (Update: I didn't notice for MONTHS but this stuff did oxidize on my skin. Ugh, when will I find a foundation that doesn't do that?!)

It's a pretty good product. I use it on the red, blotchy parts of my face and it covers pretty well, but it isn't heavy, so I don't feel like it's caked onto my skin. I definitely prefer the packaging style to every other foundation I've used; I just squeeze it out onto my brush and there's no mess.

Like any foundation, you'll want to exfoliate before using this, as it'll accentuate your dry spots. I'd recommend a good setting powder if your face is more oily, because it's definitely not a matte formula. The product claims to make your skin glow over time, and I used it for months with no noticeable difference. As that seemed to be the main selling point, I won't buy this again, and possibly won't go to Clinque anymore for foundation unless they decide to go super pale with their shade range.

Tried this because the MUA thought it would be good though I was hesitate. I have used the original Even Better and it was pretty good. I always use Mac Nourishing Waterproof in NW 25 and love it but it the winter want a lighter foundation. The original even better is pretty good as well and the Clinique redness solutions. This however was off. Not sure if it was the the color (vanilla) don’t think so... or just did not like the formula. I have tried tons of high end foundations and this looked like a mess. I did not like the luminous sheen too it. Emphasized my fine lines and looked shiny. Also the color seemed to get darker and darker throughout the day. This is a light coverage foundation and did nothing for my skin. I question was it the color?? I think it was a mix but even with the perfect color this stuff is not for me. Aged me and made my face look dirty!!! No way. If anything I will use the original Even Better. Anything is way better than this stuff.

on 10/24/2017 8:51:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have mature skin that is not terribly dry. I have some discoloration and slackening, but not many wrinkles.

The first thing I want to say is that you MUST try the colors in real life; do not try to guess at a shade from a swatch on a computer screen or by the name. Ivory is a bit darker than Fair. Vanilla and Porcelain Beige are not pale shades, even though the names might suggest that. Some shades are definitely more yellow, and there are a couple of olive/ash shades in there, such as Stone.

This foundation offers pretty significant coverage, and it has a dense texture. It has a fair amount of slip. It has "cones" in the formula. I find myself needing to blot it down so it does not look too heavy. I have not tried mixing it with a moisturizer, but may do that.

It does not have a sparkly finish. If you ever used Stila Illuminating Liquid Foundation, you know what I mean by sparkly. It does not make you look like you ran amok with the highlighter. Instead, it has a moist, dewy, non-matte finish, but it is not extremely oily or slick. It is a satiny-dewy finish, not extremely dewy at all. Clinique has never had an uber-slick foundation, even those it has dubbed Dewy or Moisturizing, and this stays true to this trend.

It comes in a plastic bottle with a dispenser tip. You squeeze the bottle. Don't squeeze out a lot unless you REALLY need coverage.

Today, I blotted it down, used a cream blush and no powder. Granted, at my age, I am no longer an oil gusher. But this set well, does not feel slick or oily, and is holding up well.

No fragrance.

The Clinique Even Better Glow Light Reflecting Foundation is a decent option for those with normal to slightly dry skin looking for medium coverage foundation. I like that this formula is fragrance free but I do wish they would have upped the amount of SPF protection to the universally recommended amount of 30. But do remember that this SPF protection will not be very effective unless it is applied liberally- and most times foundation is not applied liberally- especially if you use a damp sponge or brush to apply it.
...