Smashbox Photo Finish Primerizer

Smashbox Photo Finish Primerizer

4.2

Water\Aqua\Eau, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Isopropyl Isostearate, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Niacinamide, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Sodium Polyaspartate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Caffeine, Trehalose, Sorbitol, Decyl Glucoside, Xanthan Gum, 1,2-Hexanediol, Propanediol, Sodium Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol.

on 5/13/2018 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have dry skin, and found this to do a very poor job at either moisturising or priming. I would not repurchase. Their now discontinued blue Hydrating Primer was excellent, this is a dreadful replacement. At least it's unscented, but dry skinned users should absolutely obtain a sample prior to purchase.

on 4/26/2018 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is touted as a moisturizer and primer in 1 product. I find that I did enjoy the texture of this product. I did use it instead of my go to moisturizer (right now that Clinque moisture surge) and my primer (I tend to use smashbox photofinish, becca backlight, or benefit professional pending on what foundation). I currently have a small patch of eczema, so it didn't completely hydrate and smooth that area, however the rest of my face felt well hydrated. It didn't cause me any breakout or redness. All my liquid foundations (avoiding powder in general at this time) applied well. Didn't cause any separation by midday.

I may just use this in the summer months, when I don't need a more hydrating moisturizer. Wish they would consider a formula with some sunscreen.

Would recommend for oily to normal skin types. Those with a more dry skin type with visible dry patches may need to layer a moisturizer prior this product.

on 4/18/2018 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

So far so good. I have very dry 54 year old skin and didn't think I would like it because it is so thin and almost more like a serum. I was surprised that it did the job of moisturizing my skin enough and priming it well for my BB cream. I have to use 2 pumps so it probably won't last that long however.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

When this first launched, I got a sample because I was interested in something that could replace 2 steps in my daily routine (if this contained sunscreen, it'd be even better!). I used the sample and it was nice but I wasn't totally blown away by it, in part, I think, because I often wear primer on its own, without foundation, so I like to have something like Becca's Backlight Filter Primer or Lise Watier's - ones that make my skin look either dewy or velvety and this primer does neither. THEN, I read the review from Redwings, my fellow Canadian and general "validator" (we seem to like many of the same products) so I decided to pick this up at Shopper's on a Thursday (20% off) and pay the bulk of the rest with my Optimum Points. I do like this product but I don't find it moisturizing enough for winter, so use another moisturizer underneath (Clinique's SuperDefense with SPF) and then this and then (sometimes) foundation. Come summer, though, this will be an (almost) perfect daytime product (though I'll really need to be sure to use something with SPF then). It's not my favourite primer but it is certainly a nice one. How I wish CoverFX would bring back the one they had that did have SPF in it.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Their photo finish primerizer acts as both a primer and moisturiser, aiding in moisturising the skin for up to 24 hours, and increases moisture by 127%. I applied the primer into the palm of my hands and worked the product into my face. The primer felt quite light almost water-based and acted as a sheer shield to protect my pores from makeup that may settle in. The primer also aids in acting like a magnet that locks onto the foundation, achieving a smooth polished makeup look.

on 2/24/2018 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this creamy moisturizing primer that leaves my skin feeling so soft, smooth and well-hydrated. This is the perfect primer for those of us with dry skin. I think that it would also work well on any skin type if used under a matte finish foundation to keep your face from looking flat and dull. It reminds me of Too Faced HangoveRX Moisturizing Primer which I also happen to love. I wish these primers weren’t so expensive because I do see the benefit in using a primer no matter what your skin type is as long as you find one that meets your needs. The packaging is nice, glass bottle with a pump but I actually prefer a squeezy tube (without a pump) that will allow you to get all of the product out and not waste any, especially these high priced ones.

on 2/17/2018 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

02/17/2018: Ingredients updated. (Formerly listed some Smashbox Mattifying Stick primer)

I think there's a reason this primer has been set aside from Smashbox usual lineup. They often boast their number one selling primer, the primer authority, etc.

This is nothing like that. Perhaps you knew this, but when I saw "primer", I thought it would be mostly primer. As an ingredients need, I can tell you this is much more of a moisturizer than an actual primer. The moisturizing ingredients are plentiful for a makeup product, and they even add a little resurfacing. That said, for $42USD/1 oz., there are much better moisturizers.

On the priming side, by the way, we pretty much just have dimethicone, which does smooth and blur to a slight extent... But we have plenty of that in everything nowadays, not just foundation.

Ultimately this is playing at your desire to minimize the steps in your routine. It'd do that, but it wouldn't do it that well. If you're interested in prolonging makeup wear, stay matte, fill/blur, etc. look elsewhere, as this primer will not do any of that. Any of anything, really.

It claims to do two jobs and fails at both.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I sampled this product in-store at Sephora, and at first I was skeptical because I applied it to the top of my hand, and it never absorbed into my skin, it just stayed on the surface, keeping a wet appearance. I figured, I don't wear foundation on my hand, so it would be better to try it out on my face, and wow, this product delivers (I think was wearing hand lotion which is why it didn't absorb). Once my face is washed, this is the only product that I use for my powder foundation. I go back and forth with using liquid or powder foundation, and at this time I'm in love with the Bare Minerals Pro Powder Foundation, and this primer works really well with it, much better than the Bare Minerals primer. It's currently winter where I live, and the air is super dry and freezing, and this product makes my skin look hydrated - a definite plus. I've hesitated buying the full size bottle since it costs $42! but now Sephora has a smaller size for $15, and now I can justify the purchase. I might have to switch to another primer once it's warm out because I think it might be to heavy then but I'll wait to see. Otherwise, great product, cuts down on wearing several products on my face, and no smell.

I am very skeptical about this product. For one, the price tag is so steep that I could not justify paying a moisturizer and a primer for $ 50.00 CAD and to me this product was just so gimmicky. But since I have a gift card that I can use, I gave this one a try and O.M.G. it's the BOMB.COM!

For one, I have a combination to dry skin and my nose is like a pool of grease no matter which primer I use. But this primer manages to create a perfect canvas for my make up. Mind you, this is not a smoothing primer so I always use an additional primer on areas where I have a lot of texture. But this is truly an amazing product.

If you are skeptical about this, I suggest getting a sample from Sephora and see how it goes. I use two pumps and it is enough to cover my whole face.I have used both Revlon Colorstay and Clinique Even Better Foundation on top of this and my skin looked so smooth and it truly makes my makeup lasts the whole 12 hours!

This will definitely a staple for me.

on 11/2/2017 8:09:00 PM

Tried some samples of this from Sephora, and I really like it. I'm 48 and it smoothed my fine lines and pores, and made my foundation (It cosmetics Your Skin But Better) last well. My skin didn't look dewy, just not quite matte. Also seemed to keep my nose from getting super oily. I tried the regular photo finish primer as well but found it made my fine lines under my eyes look dry. Too bad this is so pricey, but I might just have to buy it.