Morphe The Jaclyn Hill Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by skin type : Very Dry
Morphe The Jaclyn Hill Eyeshadow Palette

3.0

1 review

Talc, Mica, Kaolin, Dimethicone, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Capryl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin. May Contain: Isononyl Isononanoate, Isostearyl Isostearate, Nylon-12, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491), Hydrated Chromium Oxide Green (CI 77289), Ultramarine Blue (CI 77007), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), FD

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I'd never even seen a Jaclyn Hill tutorial until after I'd bought one of the Jaclyn Hill palettes to see what looks she did with it, so having a particular name attached to it didn't influence my purchase or effect my overall opinion of it. I bought this palette because everyone on YouTube, Instagram and a ton of blogs, all showcased a wide variety of looks upon it's release, which I wanted to try to recreate...

This palette is impressive as it has 35 shades in, and the range of shades and finishes make it a very inclusive palette; it can be used for a variety of complete eye looks, covering every occasion, season & holiday, with a variety of shades to suit every skintone - such a major plus, with including everyone with this. I have liked the majority of looks I've done to date. The blendability is mostly good - I've noticed that layering a matte shadow over a shimmer one when shadowing the edges of the eye can be iffy to blend out. There isn't much fallout compared to the other palette from Morphe that I've used in the past. To get a good idea about the wearability of the shadows, I haven't been using eyeshadow primer with this palette and found that for the most part the pigmentation is really nice and there is no fading.

However I do have a issue with the pigmentation on the last four shades; none of them apply as dark as they look in their pans, and are a bit on the patchy side. They build up okay, but still look a bit muted. The two shimmery highlight shades are very similar, a few of the shimmery neutrals aren't hugely different and there are a few warm neutral matte shades that end up looking pretty much the same after they've been applied and blended too. I'd much prefer it if some of the close-matching neutral shades hadn't been included and the 'colour pop' bottom-left corner had been expanded a bit; I pull in a mid-tone purple matte and/or a mid-tone pink matte from elsewhere to complement the three different tones of shimmery pink and the lovely purple shimmer, so would have loved to have had a pink and lighter purple and/or lilac matte. A blue matte would also have been nice, to compliment the blue shimmer.

My big problem is that it turns out that the card with all of the shades names and their pan placement in the palette was only given to influencers (at least for non US/Canada customers), which is majorly annoying as I only bought this palette because I wanted to recreate the looks that sprang up in their thousands online around the palette's release, and now I've found that it is tricky to follow the tutorials along as most of the people just say "take shade Pukey, then Obsessed, followed by Firework", when regular customers don't have the name card and the shade names aren't printed anywhere on the palette or outer packaging in order for us to follow along. This palette is £37, so is £14 more then the usual £23 it costs for other 35 pan Morphe palettes and they've downgraded from plastic casing to card for this palette, so I think that having shade names printed underneath the pans isn't too much to ask for. Heck even getting the name card that all of the influencers got would have been welcome - Morphe don't usually name shades in their palettes, but why bother going the extra mile when the regular customer can't tell unless they go to the Morphe site and print off their own list? Seriously; Morphe had actually put up a print-off list on their site, because they're too cheap to include it with the -more-expensive-then-usual-but-has-cheaper-packaging palette, but after a few weeks they took it down again, so now we have to search Google.

[The packaging for this palette bought on the site or in Ulta stores will now be improved, with wipe-clean packaging and the shade names printed on the back of the palette - great news for Ulta customers or site customers in the US, but what about the other million plus Morphe customers in the world who have to rely on other retailers and will be stuck with the 'old' packaging?]

Video Reviews & Tutorials