Tarte Clay Play Face Shaping Palette

Tarte Clay Play Face Shaping Palette
Clay Play Face Shaping Palette

4.9

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my all time favorite palette. It is a shame that Tarte has replaced it with Clay play II which just doesn't perform at the same level. At a glance, this doesn't look very special. It is a warm matte palette, with less than desirable packaging (I think this is where they lost most people) and a TON of product. I have used this nearly every day since last fall and have no dips in any shade! The shadows are silkier, smoother and more pigmented than other Tarte shadows I've tried. I haven't really tried this around my face but I love it as eyeshadow, brows when I am running late and occasionally to set my eye primer or concealer. I love that the palette is magnetized so I can pop just a few shades in a MUFE palette and not deal with the huge bulky thing. It is such a shame this never took off because you can't buy replacement pans.

I wasn't initially interested in this palette. Even when it went on sale I wasn't convinced I needed it. But I had a gift card and the reviews were positive so I caved.
Part of the reason I was hesitating was because I rarely bronze/contour. Usually I'm running late and just trying to be on time for work. Bronzer is a step I often skip. But they do work great as eye shadows.
I like this formula so much. I've only tried one other Tarte palette (the make believe in yourself palette, which is mainly shimmer). This pigmentation is good, they blend well, and they smell good! (They smell like vanilla so if you're sensitive to scent this might be a negative.) This makes me want to try more Tarte eye shadows. Despite their social media faux pas as of late, this is a great all matte palette.

It’s great. Multi use. I use it for my eyebrows, face contour, highlight and eyeshadow - when I travel I only bring this palette. I like this contouring versus IT cosmetics contour palette. This is highly pigmented; essential to really blend this out as once brush picks up product it’s full on colour. Easy to blend with ability to have control in creating a defined or diffused look.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I got this palette a few months after it came out and almost didn’t get it. I had a high end brown toned quad in one hand and this in my other, and the clay play won because of several reasons: it boasted multiple purposes, it has a lot of product in it, I like the idea of having a bunch of matte neutrals on hand all in one place, and I really like Tarte’s eyeshadow formua. Reviews were favorable and youtubers fortunately didn’t focus on just eye looks, but on its use as an “all in one” palette as well.
I have been using the shades solstice and sand quite a bit to set my primer and also because my biggest pet peeve with palettes is hitting pan and using up all of the one shade in a palette that is good for this. Sometimes I use the shade dunes to do my eyebrows, I think not everyone will find a shade that works for brows, but some or most could. I also do indeed use this by itself to create looks and do everything with it - eyebrows, eyeshadow, contour, eyeliner as well. However, it honestly isn’t an “all in one” because I really do think that contour alone doesn’t look right, I gotta use blush.
The ingredients of the three big pans of contour shades are pretty much the same ingredients as the eyeshadows and are very pigmented, so they work great as eyeshadow but blend out well when used as contours. I need to double check but I am certain I have used all of the shades and they are all the same tarty vanilla-y goodness as the tartelette palettes.
I have no choice but to say I won’t repurchase because Tarte did away with this and released a clay play 2, so I can’t repurchase it and no, you absolutely may not say it’s the same.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Snapped this up at Sephora when it was a Weekly Wow, for $23 annnnd.....I'm totally drinking the Kool Aid and joining the love fest here. I purchased this for my pro kit when I had a bridal party lined up and it functioned so beautifully to subtly define and contour various skin tones and features without looking harsh. The powders have a delicious, delicate vanilla smell and excellent pigmentation. The blendability is wonderful and all the shades included are workable and useful. I would rate this a top buy even at full price. I am only wondering if I should've gotten one for my personal stash. Very Pleased!!

on 12/29/2017 12:27:00 PM

I LOVE this palette, it's pretty awesome!!!! I don't have many items from Tarte but the look of this (not to mention the sale price, plus I had a 20% off coupon from Ulta!) drew me in. I have to say, based on the quality of this palette I need to try a few more Tarte items! I'm not sure why people complain about this palette being matte and boring. It's perfect for a neutral work day look, you can smoke it up with that black for evening and you can use it on the weekend for a barely there look. My ONLY complaint is that you have to be light handed with this palette. The colors are very pigmented and my face can start looking a little muddy if I accidentally overdo it, that's why I gave this 4 lippies instead of 5. I also wish that one of those 3 colors on the bottom was a neutral pink blush but...I actually use the pink color in the top left as a blush and it comes out really nicely. LOVE!

on 12/16/2017 5:32:00 PM

As most of the recent reviews, I also got this half off for like $23 @ Ulta, pretty much a no brainer purchase! The shades are buttery, no fallout(slight kick up), great pigmentation, and a definite steal at $23... I would probably repurchase at full retail, but I have enough eyeshadow for 20 lifetimes, so I'm good lol... Definitely recommend.

on 12/11/2017 8:23:00 PM

I didn't need another neutral matte palette, but I was lucky enough to score this on the Tarte website for 50% off with another 25% off - so it was around $20. I absolutely love it! The colors apply beautifully and I can wear every color. And the scent is to die for.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Now, I know what we all thought seeing this "another neutral palette". Except it is not! It is one of the best neutral palettes on the market, believe me I have tried a lot.

For starters, this formula is better than what you get in Tartelette or even Tartelette in Bloom. It is full of pigment, is buttery smooth and although it can have some kick-up - overall it blends and applies like a dream. Idea here is that you get three colour categories of various neutral-toned shadows: basic neutrals, cool neutrals, warm neutrals + three face powders (contour, bronze). I like the fact that Tarte added a relatively light contour shade, which people with very fair skin can use to warm up their complexion, and dark bronze shade for those with deeper skin. This palette is versatile, smells like Nesquik and if you want to see unedited swatches, this link might help (http://www.partyparrotblog.com/single-post/2017/11/07/A-Rather-Large-Tarte-Haul). I definitely use this way more often that KVD or any other (older) Tarte palettes that I own.

on 10/31/2017 7:35:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Of course like many of us I got this palette when it was half off at sephora, $32 cdn. I originally wasn’t drawn to it at all cause it looks so boring and I felt like I had dupes Of the shades. But for the price and great reviews I got it anyways,

Every shadow in here is very soft to the touch. The quality is def THERE. I don’t have any other tarte palettes to compare this to, but these are def pigmented and blend really well, granted I only use it for the first time today, but all the shades are pigmented and swatched very well.

I love the versatility of the palette, and the layout. It looks very satisfying to see the 3 sections go from lightest to darkest, and the pans are all aligned in the same order. (Not many care about this but I find it pretty to look at)
Also the packaging is very heavy and lux feeing with a nice big mirror. Only thing I felt like the front of the palette could’ve had a cleaner design, it looks so scattered and the white patches that fade make it look like it’s been worn. I don’t like it very much but it’s alright.

Overall it’s a very nice travel friendly palette. I love it ALOT and I only used it today. Its very beginner friendly and I love that the shades are very neutral and work/office friendly. I know there’s no shimmer but if you have a few single lid shades and an inner corner highlight you’re good to go.
I don’t think I would have bought this at the full price because $64 CDN is hefty for me, but I’m so glad it was on the weekly wow. Also I do not contour but I do like the two lighter shades for bronzing on my skin and I like the third one as an eyeshadow, since there’s no deep neutral brown in the palette besides it.
If i have any complaints I’ll come back to edit this but for now.. it’s a yes from me 😁