Native Deodorants

2.6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was using Secret Clinical and I read that a reviewer preferred the Native. I do too! I've used natural deodorants in the past, I smelled great but they didn't keep me dry, Native does. It actually works better than the clinical strength, I wasn't expecting that.

I really wanted to like native deodorant. I even bought a men’s scent thinking it would be stronger than the coconut vanilla I ordered first. I’m not a fan of using antiperspirant with aluminum but I had to switch back. I smelled so bad and I was sweating excessively, even on cold days (I tried it for months, even in the winter). Sweating and body odor were never problems for me before the switch to native, and they’ve gone away since I stopped using it. The scents were nice, I will give them that, but mixed with BO they weren’t so nice anymore.

I'm surprised at all the negative reviews. I love this stuff. But first a little background: I tried for years to stop the sweat. I am not an excessive sweater but in the hot temps I definitely sweat. I tried all kinds of antiperspirants but it seemed that the higher % I went with the aluminum chlorohydrate the more I would sweat. CertainDri? Forget it. I had soaking wet underarms in 1/2 an hour. I then decided to try a deodorant alone to see if that would detox my system. Viola! I haven't used an antiperspirant in about 2 years. I started with PiperWei which I also love as it uses charcoal, but Native is a close second. I use them both and even in this nasty heatwave we are having here in the Northeast I am still only mildly sweating when outdoors. No odor either. The only downside is I do have to reapply once or twice during the day if it's particularly hot and humid. Granted, Native is expensive, but for me not having to deal with the sweatiness, it's well worth it. Two dings off on packaging as there must be a more environmentally-friendly package they could be using.

I am so sad I cannot use Native deodorant. I broke out in horrible hives allllll over my face from the Coconut Vanilla stick. It worked well as far as preventing smell, but I'd rather not have a monster face.

I normally use the rock crystal type of deodorant, because I like to avoid aluminum and parabens, but sometimes I would like a more emollient, nicely scented option, so I started looking. An internet search led me to Native deodorants, which are also paraben/aluminum free. There are several different scents, and an unscented option, but given the price of $19 USD, I thought I'd just try one to begin with. That's more than I usually like to pay for deodorant, but if it worked well, I was willing to pay for it. Unfortunately, it didn't. I chose the lavender rose scent, which is wonderful, by the way, and followed the instructions, which said to swipe it two or three times across clean pits-a little goes a long way. It's a roll-up stick, and the consistency is chalky-if you use too much, it just sort of beads up and you have to rub it in. I didn't find that it got on my clothing, but it's warm, so I am not wearing long sleeves-I have read in other reviews that it stained, but I can't really say anything about that. What it didn't do, is work! I am not someone who normally has a problem with BO (unless my family is too polite to tell me), but I noticed that, after a medium-sweaty workout, that I had a noticeable odor tagging after me-thank goodness I work out at home! This deodorant is probably fine for a normal day running errands, but I am not sure I trust it for extremely hot summer temps, or for workout use. It is not an antiperspirant, so I wasn't expecting it to keep me from sweating, but I WAS expecting it to keep me from smelling like I only bathe once a month-especially at the price! I will not repurchase-back to the good ol' rock crystal!

I purchased a set of three deodorants for my partner. This product caused irritation, but after seeking advice he continued to use the product hoping it was just an adjustment period. After contacting customer service, we were given the same advice. Because it was prolonged, we fell out of the 30 day policy and could not receive a refund despite my partner developing a horrible rash that he had to seek medical treatment for. My advice is to return ASAP upon the slightest problem and do not give this product a full try since they will not refund you. This item also permanently stains clothing yellow, which personally, I find is unheard of for a deodorant. We cannot get the stains out and my partner is in some pretty bad discomfort. I would never recommend this product to anyone and go as far as to warn my friends and family to avoid this product. Buy at your own risk.

I also want to add: Do your own research!! Look at reviews on other websites. I submitted this same review to Native and it was censored. After asking around, one of coworkers who also did not have favorable review of their product did not get their review posted. Very disappointed. I strongly believe they manipulate their reviews for a favorable rating.

I'm so disappointed with this purchase! I bought a 3pk which included Vanilla Coconut, Lavender Rose and Gardenia Orchid. For years I've used natural deodorants after reading into the detriments of antiperspirant and aluminum toxicity. I don't experience wetness issues and odor is not generally a problem so I'm not that choosy. My issue is these goddamn scents! They are so shockingly bad! For the price paid it's absolutely unacceptable. Vanilla's their best seller and smells artificial and cheap. Lavender Rose is harsh and Gardenia Orchid is what I envision and elderly woman would gravitate toward. Returns are only free only Americans not international customers. Obviously I can't give them away so they're going straight into the garbage. What a waste!

Native is a deodorant and not an antiperspirant, so I am not surprised that my underarms were very sweaty after an office meeting or at the gym. However, I always felt that I started to smell starting in the afternoon. It is very pricey for the results, although the scents Lavender Rose and Cucumber Mint smell very good. I think it'll work for someone who doesn't sweat (you lucky person, you.)

I purchased the Eucalyptus deodorant. Worked great, until it ruined my clothes - permanent dark spots under both arms. Appearance is that I'm perpetually sweaty, even when the garment is perfectly clean and dry. BEWARE, this deodorant contains oils that WILL NOT COME OUT of certain fabrics. This deodorant ruined my gray Hanna Andersson Elisabet dress ($98) and Pendleton merino wool v-neck ($109). I contacted customer service and they told me to wash my garments with vinegar and baking soda. I tried that on my cotton dress, but didn't want to risk further damage to my wool. Didn't take out the stains. Got an "oh, well..." response from customer service when I told them it didn't work. I want others to be aware of this, $10 deodorant isn't worth it if it costs $200 to replace your clothes! Tom's works just fine for much less and hasn't ruined my clothes!

I really, really wanted to like this! I've tried basically everything when it comes to "natural" aluminum/paraben free deodorants, and based on various reviews I thought this could finally be the one that worked for me. It doesn't.

First, the scent? I ordered Cedar + Cypress because I tend to like more "masculine" or neutral smells, but this one is hardly there, and what is there doesn't smell at all like cedar or cypress to me. I'm not sure if it's meant to be especially low key or not, or if maybe mine's just not quite right, but it's disappointing. Not necessarily a dealbreaker, though -- I still ended up using this for a month or two.

Though at first it did work fairly well to keep me fresh, I've noticed in the last couple weeks that my body odor is starting to come through before the end of the day (sometimes as soon as three or four hours after applying). My pits are still dry at least, though, thus the three stars.