Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Water Fresh Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 30

Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Water Fresh Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 30
Double Wear Nude Water Fresh Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 30

3.6

Ingredients: Octinoxate 5.0, Titanium Dioxide 3.1, Zinc Oxide 2.2 Ingredients: Water\Aqua\Eau, Methyl Trimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Silica, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone Silylate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Polysilicone-11, Litchi Chinensis Seed Extract, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Polyglutamic Acid, Lens Esculenta (Lentil) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Chloride, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Stearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium PCA, Lecithin, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Laureth-7, Triethyl Citrate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Hexylene Glycol, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Dextrin, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, [ /- Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499)]

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have this as a lighter 'fresher' alternative to my Teint Miracle. I was told at the counter that it is water based and read the same online, so I've been using it as such. Please correct me if i'm wrong though, as I don't think that is officially stated by ES. It has a light, watery consistency and gives a buildable light coverage. Dewy but can be set to a kind of 'satin' finish, which personally I like to do. The formula is really kind to dry patches but I didn't really find it slipping off my nose as much as I thought it would either.

I found applying this like the Mac F+B is absolutely the best way to do it- With clean, oil free hands. It just looks so natural, the BB or a brush makes it look streaky to me. Goes on about the coverage of a BB cream but can be built up to around the higher end of a light foundation coverage, but like all thin or water based foundations it takes a little time to do it. Apply lightly, wait a few mins until it feels somewhat 'tacky' (I usually go do other things while it's drying- if you don't wait it slides around rather than builds), then apply another layer. Three times is about the maximum I can do it before it begins to get too dewy, though.
The coverage doesn't quite cover my dark circles or red patches, and with this being water based I can't use anything silicone underneath it, which pretty much rules out my usual colour correctors. Loads of brands sell colour correcting powders though, so it is possible to use those (My personal recs would be NYX green for redness and Kat von D petal for dark circles).
I wouldn't imagine this could cover acne spots without concealer if you have that issue. One issue I did have is a really thick or very matte concealer is impossible to use with this, it just moves the foundation too much and doesn't blend in well.

I have sensitive but not acne prone skin, I didn't find the formula irritating at all.

I will say though- No pump? If drugstores can manage it, so can you, Estee Lauder. For. Frickin. Shame. This is watery, it would benefit a *lot* from a pump. With the normal double wear, you can almost get away with not having a pump but with this I feel like I *have* to get one or I can end up wasting a lot of product spilling too much on my hand. Stop focusing on a heavy bottle with excessive glass at the bottom- the people want easy usage!

The shade range is decent too- Shell is absolutely perfect for me and didn't oxodise as far as I could see at ALL. Huge plus! There seemed to be a lot of options for both cool and warm toned skin, I can't comment on how varied the darker end of the shade range is, though.

This is a fabulous formula if you want a lighter, more 'skin like' look. Despite the aforementioned 'hand spillage' and layering, this will last me a long time- it took me a good three weeks to go through the sample bottle.

on 11/30/2017 5:04:00 PM

I've been searching for my HG every-day spf winter foundation and i think I've found it. I was looking for a lighter, natural coverage which lasts. I'm a teacher in London and right now the weather and long hours are playing havoc with my skin. I have combination skin which is prone to acne which doesn't help (whoever told me that my spots would go during my late twenties is a merchant of LIES).

I never get a chance to touch up my make-up during the day so needed something that I could apply early in the morning and trust to either wear off gracefully or (unimaginably) actually stay on my face and look nice after 12 hours - I'm happy to say that this foundation does the latter. After years of looking at my tired face at the end of the day in the (bloody awful) lighting of the staff toilets and weeping inwardly at the patchy mess my other foundations left behind, this is an actual blessing.

The colour match is perfect for my pale skin and it doesn't accentuate any dry or flaky patches. Miraculously it also doesn't turn my face into an oil slick either. I wear it over Laura Mercier's 'protect' primer and then set it very lightly with powder and it pretty much sorts me out for the day. Bit of harmless shine on my nose but nothing too offensive. Also doesn't break me out which, considering my usual reaction to spf and my woefully sensitive skin, is another blessing.

You will definitely need concealer over spots if you're going for a super flawless finish but personally I just need something that gets me through the day without scaring/entertaining my students so I'm fine with the sheer finish.

I don't know what kind of voodoo magic EL have up their sleeve but I'm just praying this doesn't get discontinued.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love this. I have horrid skin I mean old, wrinkled and excema 50 years on this earth skin. I have a drawer of foundations. This needs a good serum and moisturizer under it. Sponge application works best. I put it on in a thin lyer and then use some of Rihanna's foundation on spots that need a little more. People actually compliment my skin. What... not turn away in disgust. No really they tell me my huge pored skin looks pretty. Crazy. Am I being punked? So I am a big fan. I think prep is key and a damp sponge. Don't buy the pump. Just shake the bottle each time. Estee should be ashamed charging for a plastic pump. Greed? Not sure but that is criminal and no need for it.

on 11/4/2017 3:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Well, this may well be my favourite foundation ever. I used to be a fan of EL Double Wear the original, however the last couple of years I have avoided it as felt it is now too heavy for me as I am now 35. I would say age plays a part as I now look for a sheerer and lighter coverage. It is a light and watery texture and I would class it as a light coverage. It evens out my skin tone but I have to go in with concealer on blemishes. The finish is dewy on me and I have normal skin. I do set with powder and a setting spray and it still looks great 10 hours later, though maybe a blot is necessary but I don’t as I don’t mind a touch of shine for a natural look. They have a great colour range and I found a great match for me. I hope this helps

on 11/3/2017 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

BB cream user here. I spend a lot of time on my lips and eyes but generally just smear a bit of (cheap) Garnier BB cream on my skin. However, given that I’m staring down the barrel at 30 and given that my skin really isn’t that great (oily, red, pores, etc) I resolved to put in more effort, including using higher-end foundations. Pros: -Doesn’t oxidize -Surprisingly good colour match for me (True Beige) -Not patchy, or whatever the proper term is for “not sticking to and emphasizing all the fine hairs on your face” -Light and breathable Cons: -(Totally not original but...) my oily face looks, well, oily. Maybe not much more than usual but the difference between this and a B.B. cream a fraction of the cost is negligible -Transfers easily. I understand that the original double wear is famous for doing the opposite of this. Annoying in a corporate environment - my white shirts get lovely little (water resistant) finger prints all over them thanks to my bad habit of touching my cheeks while thinking -INCREDIBLY liquid. I opened the bottle a little too forcefully and promptly spilled a third of it all over my floor. I will probably buy again, but only because I have a soft spot for Estée Lauder (although the continued animal testing is threatening to change this!) and the colour match is good. Hopefully will stay put longer in colder weathers. Edit:- possibly just because of my aforesaid oily skin, but I find that this NEEDS a dusting of translucent powder to finish it off. Sans this it just kind of “sits” on my face.

on 11/15/2017 3:09:00 AM

I have sensitive, dehydrated and prone to rosacea skin. So when a MU blogger recommended I try this foundation because of its “dewy” effect (which by the way, I so badly want and need), I thought I’d give it a try. My issue with most foundations are that they oxidize and/or they have a Pink undertone, hence I am Neutral with a more yellow undertone——very important to know when it comes to buying a foundation. First of all, NEVER buy a foundation after color matching it in store. The lighting sucks. I ended buying 2N1 Desert beige, and it looked perfect instore. Soon as I got into the car and into the natural light, there it was, that crappy pink undertone I hated. I then went back to try out a shade darker and the match was perfect, 2N2 Buff. The coverage is good, actually too much as I like a light to medium coverage. I’m disappointed though as the product does become cakey and creases into my smile lines maybe because my skin is just too damn dry. I do not get that dewy look so I have to keep applying a face mist to achieve a dewy complexion. Staying power is good but does become patchy on my drier areas. I tried this foundation over my Dermalogica Hydra Blur Primer and it did NOT look good at all. Its better without a primer. love that it does not oxidize and that Estee Lauder caters for different undertones which is a plus for me. If Estee Lauder could come up with a water based BB cream with the same perks as this foundation, I’d be the first one to buy it.

on 10/21/2017 8:19:00 AM

This is a great light coverage foundation with UVA/UVB protection. Desert Beige is perfect for my light warm complexion. Doesn't make my face dry or oily, doesn't oxidize. I agree that the packaging is not the best, it needs a pump, but I just dispense it carefully and have no problems.

on 10/5/2017 4:36:00 PM

After reading the reviews, I was tempted to try this since I've been on the hunt for a "perfect" foundation for my dry & sensitive skin. Here's my take:

Price: $48 Canadian for 30 mL(I think it's $42 USD)

Shade: The SA mentioned this was slightly lighter in shade than their regular double wear line and I was color matched to Desert Beige 2N1 (I am typically Mac NC20). Ecru 1N2 was also okay but I found it leaning a bit pinkish despite that it's neutral toned.

Texture: Thin and runny. It feels light and goes on smoothly.

Coverage: Personally, I find it gives somewhat medium coverage and covers my mild redness. It's dewy which I like but for someone with oilier skins, I'm not too sure if this may get oilier as the day goes on. Throughout the day, while I do like the "glowy" factor, I do find that it breaks apart in some areas (chin) after a few hours of wear.

Package: No pump which I think is disappointing. EL sells a pump on their site for $13 (Cdn) which I think is greedy on their part because a plastic pump is cheap to make. They've been upping their prices which is starting to turn me away (especially when you see that this foundation is identical to their sister brands- see further on).

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1%, Zinc Oxide 2.1%. Inactive Ingredients: Water\Aqua\Eau, Methyl Trimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Silica, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate , C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone Silylate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Polysilicone-11, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, , Zinc Stearate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium PCA, Lecithin, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Laureth-7, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Triethyl Citrate, BHT, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Potassium Sorbate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sodium Hyaluronate, , Lens Esculenta (Lentil) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Disodium EDTA, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Lactate, Calcium Chloride, Dextrin, Litchi Chinensis Seed Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Polyglutamic Acid, Laminaria Saccharina Extract[+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499)].

I've learned that this foundation has virtually the same ingredients as Mac Waterweight foundation and Smashbox BB cream. Here's the list for comparison with EL's above:

Ingredients list for the MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation SPF30:

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1%, Zinc Oxide 2.1%.
Inactive Ingredients: Water\Aqua\Eau, Methyl Trimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Silica, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone Silylate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Polysilicone-11, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Lens Esculenta (Lentil) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Sodium PCA, Methicone, Triethyl Citrate, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Laureth-7, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dextrin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Sodium Lactate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Zinc Stearate, Litchi Chinensis Seed Extract, Polyglutamic Acid, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499)]

Ingredients list for the Smashbox Camera Ready BB Waterbroad SPF30:

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1%, Zinc Oxide 2.1%.

They are the same formula.

Price for Mac: $41 Cdn (30 mL).
Price for Smashbox BB cream: $ 50 Cdn (30 ml).

Conclusion: Would I repurchase? No. While I like the coverage and lightness, I don't like the packaging, cost and runny texture. Also, personally, I prefer physical sunscreens due to my rosacea. For someone who really likes this, a virtually identical alternative would be MAC's waterweight foundation which comes with a dropper and is cheaper by a few bucks.
Personally, I'm still on the hunt... Hope this helps & thanks :) continued >>

on 10/21/2017 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was rooting for this product but it's a massive disappointment. I'm a fan of the original DWs lasting power, but I hated the powdery mask effect it gave me so I held off on buying a bottle of that in search of something that little better. When the lady at the counter told me about this I jumped at the chance to try a sample, but even wandering around the shops straight after she applied it to my skin I noticed it felt tacky, something I absolutely cannot stand in the slightest. It took a long time to dry down to a drier finish, but my oily skin was not controlled whatsoever. I've used my sample a fair few times, with primers, without primers, in sunny conditions, in cloudy and rain but this stuff just doesn't stay on my skin. It's such a shame because I love how it looks in the beginning, sheer, but enough to cover old acne scars and most of my rosacea, but still natural and untraceable on the skin. I really hope they rethink the formula with this in the future, because if it had the lasting power of DW it would be my hg foundation.

on 10/7/2017 2:37:00 PM

I am a big fan of the original DW stay-in-place version that I consider the most performant foundation available. Still, couldn't help myself trying this too. I will compare it with the original. So: the CONs 1. It looks much too dewy, almost greasy even from the begining. 2. I noticed NO oil-controlling effect. 3. It creases in wrinkles if applied for medium coverage. The PROs: 1. Sufficient coverage for minor complexion issues. 2. "Transparent" effect. Conclusion: it really needs a touch of powder - which the original didn't - especially on the nose. The "stay-in-place" feature of the original cannot be equaled, ever.

11 days later edit: Used it daily eversince and got compliments on my complexion. It really looks natural and luminous. One layer is enough, with spot-on add on defaults - it is supposed to be a light make-up. Love it for everyday use. Still, I would NOT repurchase.