Butter London Glazen Eye Gloss in Mermaid

No Image

2.7

on 11/3/2017 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sorry, but I didn't expect this to be a very lengthy review. Please bear with me.

I have been looking for an eye product that will give my lids the silver/grey color with a glossy or shimmery finish that is not a powder. I wanted a one-and-done kind of product. When these came out, all swatches had me drawn to it like a moth to a flame because it looked exactly like i was looking for. I was expecting it to be as blendable as Maybelline's eye color tattoos, but with more sheen and shimmer like L'oreal's infallibles. But it's completely different. And not in a good way for me.

The packaging reminds me of the L'oreal infallibles: the transparent plastic jar is square but the product is within a round lid enclosure. I love contrasting shapes like that in packaging. But this is visually more appealing because the top screw lid is wider so it covers the whole top area of the square base.

The consistency is just like how everybody described: it is like a jelly. It wiggles when you tap the sides of the container. So to keep it from getting dry, there is a plastic lid within the jar. This particular shade looks like a greyish silver with subtle greenish hue with microglitter (sorry, I'm really bad in describing things like this).

1ST TRY: I used my ring finger and got a tiny bit of product and applied to my lid. I swiped to sheer it out and was pretty shocked with how obvious the microglitters were. They didn't look micro. They straight up looked like chunky glitter. Did not like it. I tried to tap over more product to get a color build up to make the glitter less obvious. I did get it to look more silvery, but the glitter was still remarkably obvious. But I was in a hurry and had no time to remove it so I just added some color over it with the hopes of making the glitter less obvious, darkened the outer v (dark purple), black liner, mascara then left the house. I did not experience any glitter fall out, but my lids looked like DISCO BALLS. I was embarrassed to face people but had no choice. Hated it

2ND TRY: I watched yt videos where people were tapping the product and not swiping so decided that maybe I should be doing that. I still got a tiny amount using my finger and proceeded to tap this onto my lids. I built it up slowly but I would get areas chunkier than others. And despite trying to even it out with tapping motions, it just seems to stick and pile on instead of becoming even. Tried to make it look even better by blending the edges and applying a color on my outer v (I used ABH Modern Renaissance palette with Buon fresco and Realgar for crease and Love letter on outer v. Color combination looked nice). But I was still left with chunky patches. Hated it.

3RD TRY: I thought maybe a brush would be better? I used a flat synthetic brush and again took small amounts of product at a time to apply to my lid. Swiping it doesn't help. AT ALL. You have to tap the product. Aaaand it was just not working out. Again. Hated it.

I don't think you have to read this final paragraph to conclude that I HATE THIS.
- The shade is kinda nice. I love the sheen it gives but the glitter takes it away from me.
- This is impossible for me to use. I'm not sure if my skills in eyeshadow are still lacking that's why this is so frustrating or if the product itself is difficult for me to work with.
- I do see that this will look great as an eyeshadow for New Years party though! However, I am looking for a product I can use at any time and not only on specific occasions. If you work in an environment where you have to be more polished-sophisticated, I feel like this is a no-go.
- Really like how it didn't crease on me.
- It dries quickly. It doesn't make me feel like my lids are heavy or sticky.
- Packaging is pretty

It had a couple of good points but this is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT for me. To think that I wanted this for so long. I hate to return but I hate this product more.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I love mermaid anything, especially mermaid-inspired makeup, so I just had to buy this. It was my first foray in Butter London's makeup - their nail polish is great so I figured the Glazen eye shadow would be good. Sadly I didn't think the quality was on par with their polishes. In the pot it looks more swamp hag than mermaid (I couldn't for the life of me take an appealing picture) but once swatched you'll see a really gorgeous pale greyish green with gold microglitter. While the color is beautiful and buildable, the longevity left something to be desired, as this shadow transferred to my browbones within an hour of application (over Urban Decay Primer Potion). I didn't experience creasing but the fallout was truly terrible as I had tiny bits of microglitter all over my face immediately after application, and the particles continued to shed throughout the day. Glazen shadows have an innovative, jiggly, almost wet texture that reminds me a little of Shu Uemura's old eye jellies, and this shade did seem to dry right away - no stickiness - so I don't know why I had so many issues. Maybe I'll try applying just a thin layer or dust a little regular powder eye shadow on top to see if that helps with the fallout/transfer. As to whether you should buy it, it depends on how much touching up you're willing to do throughout the day in exchange for pretty mermaid eyes.

on 7/5/2017 2:42:00 AM

GORGEOUS!! Butter London's Mermaid is a sparkly & metallic pale aqua-grey with tons of golden microshimmer. Mermaid is the perfect name for this shade. This one and Oil Slick are my two favorites from this line.

BL's Glazen Eye Gloss is a different kind of eye shadow. Not quite a cream, not quite a gel. It's more like a whipped-jelly in a pot. Applies like a liquid (I just use a sponge-tipped applicator) and once it dries and sets it feels like NOTHING. No stickiness whatsoever. Wears well with minimal creasing, and I have oily lids so that's impressive.

The formula is very build-able, you can make this eye shadow as sheer or opaque as you want. But I found that the results could be a little patchy with this shade, so I have to be extra careful while applying it. And also, there's a little bit of glitter fallout with this one. So four lippies instead of five.

But overall, I like this eye shadow very much and I would definitely buy it again.