MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation
MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation NC20Bobbi Brown Make UP

2.7

Active Ingredient:Octyl Methoxycinnamate Water (Aqua Purificata) Purified, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polydecene, Glyceryl Dilaurate, Tea-Isostearate, Tea-Stearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Kaolin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Pantethine, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Steareth-21, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Steareth-2, Perfluoropolymethylisopropyl Ether, Stearyl Alcohol, BHT, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben may contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens

on 10/17/2012 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I've been working for MAC for 4 years between freelancing and a on counter artist, and in 4 years I've NEVER shown this foundation to anyone....that pretty much shows you what I think of it. No coverage, oily feel, doesn't wear well. Not shocked they discontiuned this. On the other hand they DID dc Mineralize Satinfinish a great foundation for someone looking for lightweight coverage, only leaving us with F&B which I don't love. Every once in a blue moon a customer would come up and want to replace this and I would show them something else to fit their needs and they would indeed be much happier with my new suggestion than Select SPF. I do love Select Cover up concealer though, so even if you hate this foundation, do let it scare you away from trying the concealer. Great medium coverage while adding radiance to the under eye area...non drying...good stuff. Maybe if the foundation worked as well as the concealer it would still be around.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is my HG foundation for years and unfortunately this is now discontinued per the MAC rep that I spoke with by phone. She recommended the Face and Body in it's place, so I may have to give that a try. :-(

on 4/9/2012 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

DO NOT BUY!
over-rated product. I talked to the MAC artist and she told me this is the perfect product for my skin - WRONG!
It completely over-dried my skin, leaving it looking all dried up and disgusting. It took ages for it to get back to its normal balance too! The colors were either too pink or too orange, which is not good for my Spanish skin. I'll NOT be buying this product again!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I was drawn to this product because it is water based and I have slightly oily skin so I thought this might help - in a way, it does help skin like mine because it doesn't ever feel like I've 'caked' it on and it is nice and light. I was a bit unimpressed at first with the coverage. I don't really have too many prominent facial blemishes but I do like to look perfect when I wear an expensive foundation! I was at first applying it with a foundation brush from The Body Shop but I felt that this made it streaky, as did using my fingers. I am now using the MAC 188 duo fibre brush and with this you can easily build up the product to the desired density and you do get really good coverage. I don't think it's very good value for money but I suppose for the spring and summer it might be good as it is light and it feels weightless on your face. I've also noticed that it can look a bit orange which is not what I ever look for in a foundation. I was matched up to NC40 so I suppose that with the more 'tan' shades you can get a bit of an orange tint. I may repurchase this product for the summer but it's unlikely.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

So I've been using this foundation (NC25) for almost a year now and I wanted to share my impressions: I strongly dislike this foundation.
Its consistency is very liquid and it also smells kind of funny. The smell is noticable for maybe five minutes after application so it's not too annoying. Application is quite okay, just a pretty liquid foundation I guess.
What I don't like about this foundation is the following:
1. It turns orange on me after a while. Really ugly orange, oompa-loompa-esk.
2. It doesn't seem to really set. Whenever I touch my face during the day (not too sanitary I know...) my fingers leave a mark which looks just so wrong.
3. It is NOT matte. Not at all to be honest. I only had one class today and it's a cold, rainy day where I live. By the time I came home (which was about two hours after I left it) my face was so shiny, I could have been mistaken for a puddle. Not lying.
4. Despite leaving me overly oily, this foundation somehow manages to emphasize the one dry spot I have on my face. So picture an oily, shiny face with one weird dry patch, both of these features emphasized to the extreme.

Overall MAC Select SPF 15 failed for me. I def. won't repurchase.

Oh, and FYI I do take good care of my skin. I cleanse, tone and moisturize twice a day and I also exfoliate once or twice a week. No other foundation has made my skin look this bad.
So I really don't know whose fault this (the oily-shiny/dry mess on my face) but this foundation is not going to be purchased again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with oily or combination skin.

on 5/26/2011 12:27:00 AM

I was seeking a medium-coverage, matte finish liquid foundation that's good for oily skin, and was directed to this product by a MAC artist. She couldn't decide if I was an NC or NW tone (story of my life!), but she settled on NW25. The colour match seemed to be good enough, so I went with it.

Overall, I'm unimpressed with this foundation. I find that the coverage never lasts, even with a primer, and that it slips around on my skin throughout the day. I'm left with patches or either oily or dry skin. It's almost too watery for me, if that makes any sense? (It is a water-based foundation, but this is too much!) On the plus, the finish is definitely matte and stayed that way in the spots where my makeup didn't move. It also didn't oxidize on me, which is a problem I often have with liquid foundations. To my knowledge, it hasn't caused any breakouts (I've had a few, but feel pretty confident that this was the evil-doing of a different product).

To be sure, one day I decided to do half of my face in MAC Select and the other half in MAC Studio Fix. I literally split my face down my forehead, nose and chin into two halves, followed my normal routine on both halves (moisturizer, primer, concealer, etc...), but used the two different foundation products. By the day's end, the Studio Fix had steamrolled the Select competition. Two friends and my hubby also weighed in with their opinions (who doesn't love a science experiment, after all?!) and they unanimously preferred the Studio Fix side. It certainly looked more natural and even, whereas the Select was wearing thin and patchy.

Not a repurchase for me!

on 3/10/2011 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have an oily acne prone skin and this product looked great on the first 2 hours of application. It doesn't cake, looks dewy and easy to blend. However, after 2-3 hours it begins to almost melt on my skin and it looks blotchy. I had to blot every hour or two to stop my face looking like a grease ball. It transfers easily so if you accidentally touch your face it will transfer into anything. As soon as I apply this I can feel that I have foundation on. And for something that's sheer coverage, it feels really heavy. Never buying this again. I'll happilly stick with my Studio Fix, really don't know why I wanted to try this..

on 9/27/2010 2:29:00 PM

This foundation is terrible for oily skin, even though the MA at MAC told me it is specifically targeted towards oily/combo skin. This foundation made my skin greasy by noon and I looked like an Oompa Loompa by the end of a 8-hr work day! (and yes I have tried a primer underneath) Oh and don't get me started on the acne that would not go away until I stopped using the product. And when I told the MA she just looked at me and said 'I have never heard of that happening to anyone'...sure whatever you say...so I did what any reasonable girl would do. I poured it down the drain and Back-To-MAC'd it! hahahaha

on 8/16/2010 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

A few months ago I purchased MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation in NC44. First of all, the makeup artist who prescribed this color to me was an idiot, as it seemed too orange at first and just generally too dark. As summer came along and I got a bit of a tan, it matches nearly perfectly.

That said, I am pretty happy with this product. Its sheer, very wearable, and leaves my patchy skin smooth and even.

If you wait too long to blend, it can dry and become caked in that spot.

I apply it with a rather cheap EcoTools large foundation brush and it blends very well, I find that it actually looks BETTER after a few hours!

I can wear this to P.E., out running errands or shopping during the summer, and it stays put pretty well!

If you have dry/normal skin, this foundation is for you. Its smooth, creamy, and stays put for up to 16 hours, as long as you blot!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I've bought this product a couple of times over the last few years and I quite like it. The best things about it are the fact it comes in such a range of shades, the way it feels light on the skin and it provides just the right amount of coverage. The main problem I had with it was that sometimes it tended to melt off very easily or go a bit patchy throughout the day. Whether this was due to poor moisturising on my part or a problem with the formula is uncertain. I use a different foundation now and have no melting/patchy problems even though I'm using the same moisturiser. Overall it's a very nice foundation and if it suits your skin type it's great as the bottle lasts for absolutely ages and you'll always be able to find a shade that's right for you.