MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Relaxed
MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation
MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation NC20Bobbi Brown Make UP

3.3

Active Ingredient:Octyl Methoxycinnamate Water (Aqua Purificata) Purified, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polydecene, Glyceryl Dilaurate, Tea-Isostearate, Tea-Stearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Kaolin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Pantethine, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Steareth-21, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Steareth-2, Perfluoropolymethylisopropyl Ether, Stearyl Alcohol, BHT, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben may contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens

on 4/26/2010 5:19:00 PM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

When I posted this review, the weather is spring (not too hot, not too cold). It is not humid and it is not as dry as winter.

-Studio Sculpt broke me out
This did not.

-This dries fast so work quickly, with small amount, on small area of face at a time

-Have to buy pump separately.

-I use with Mac 187 brush...wonderful!

-coverage is medium and buildable, but do it in thin layer by thin layer

-foundation is very liquidy

-feels a little moisturising, but finish looks matte.

-I use setting powder over it (if I don't, the foundation slides off my face)

-lasts a good 8 hours (maybe slight fading)

-use with Mac Matte primer (any primer will do)

-feels light, like you don't have makeup on

-------------------------------------------------------------
-too yellow
-finish is not smooth
-watery
-the pump always leaves dry residue on the inside (which gets pumped out the next time I use it)

on 8/24/2009 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have acne-prone (although I have just finished my 5th and final Accutane treatment) and combination skin (maybe closer to the oily side). I am a medium to dark skinned 21 year-old black woman. At the time I was still undergoing an Accutane treatment so I needed a foundation that could minimize the appearance of blemishes and cover the dark spots that the acne left behind. But, I'm young...i didn't want a caked face. The goals when I walked into the MAC store for the first time were: coverage, easy to apply, and natural-looking. My first foundation ever, I had no idea what I needed and left my purchase in the hands of the MAC lady. She matched me with NC50. It seemed too yellow (I have a yellow winter undertone and a red summer undertone. Autumn and spring are my combination seasons.). The girl assured me that once the foundation oxidized it would look better. It looked just OK for the first month but after that I had more of a red undertone and I got tanner so it was too light. She never suggested a finishing powder. That would have helped greatly.
It sat ontop of my skin and emphasized my peachfuzz (not facial hair but FUZZ). I was watery. It went on deceivingly smooth and once it dried I could notice streaks. I had to sweat it in order to look more natural...wierd. I felt light though. My concealer was crazy visible under the foundation. I had to build and build and build over the concealer in order to blend it.
I think this foundation is like THE "beginner's" foundation. It's cool to start with but it seems that everyone outgrows it after a season or two. I have definitly outgrown. I'll be moving on to Studio Sculpt.
If you have the money to play around with foundations and are new to make up, foundation or MAC, I suggest that you start with Select SPF15. If not, just buy the Studio Sculpt or Fix straight out because you"ll be buying it down the road anyway.
If you are a black woman, more than likely one shade will not match you perfectly. If you truly want a natural appearance buy the shades you need in order to achieve your color. Mix. Don't be afraid. Just practice. And black women change shades and tones throughout the year more drastically then other races in my opinion. Buying two or more shades allow for year-round customization. For example, I am a true 50'er but I have to purchase NC and NW 50 in order to match perfectly. Then, during the summer I need NW or NC 55 to mix with my NC or NW 50 becaue I get darker. Celebrities have flawless(ie. Natural) makeup because they do this. They mix. Their makeup artists mix.
Furthermore, I may be wrong, but my philosophy is that Black women shouldn't use SPF foundations. If you use a SPF foundation (more specifically during the summer months), after a while you have a light face and darker body. The SPF keeps your face from getting AS dark as uncovered skin. Then, when you take off the foundation, you have a light face and dark body. That forces you to wear foundation because you will look super washed out if you don't. That's cool if you are a commited foundation wearer.
I would not buy this foundation again. MAC has so much more to offer.

on 6/24/2007 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I think this is a good foundation for light to medium coverage. I use this in NW45, which perfectly matches my skin tone. I have combination skin with a very oily t-zone. This keeps my skin matt till about lunch time. I used to apply this with my fingers but I could never quite get the sheer even natural look I wanted. I now apply it with the 187 brush, which makes such a big difference. It doesnt look obvious that I'm wearing makeup and my skin looks flawless and natural. I havent had any problems with breakouts so far. I would definitely recommend applying this with the 187 brush to get a nice even finish.
Update: When I apply this over MAC Prep and Prime Face Protect SPF 50, it lasts a lot longer and my skin stays matt all day.