MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation

MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation
MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation NC20Bobbi Brown Make UP

3.1

Active Ingredient:Octyl Methoxycinnamate Water (Aqua Purificata) Purified, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polydecene, Glyceryl Dilaurate, Tea-Isostearate, Tea-Stearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Kaolin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Pantethine, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Steareth-21, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Steareth-2, Perfluoropolymethylisopropyl Ether, Stearyl Alcohol, BHT, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben may contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens

on 1/17/2008 2:55:00 PM

EDIT *** (added comment at bottom)

I just bought this product so I will give you my impressions on it after two days of use. (First off, I love love love makeupforever foundation that I put a review on but i wanted to get a foundation that was more affordable for everyday use which is why i bought this mac one)..ok here i go..

I am NW15 and find this product to be a perfect match to my skin tone and does not oxidize to a nasty color. The color remains true.

I applied it with my hands and it didnt streak and looked pretty flawless but I am going to try it with my 187 brush tomorrow and hope it will be even better.

Plus, it did NOT make me break out like others have been claiming. I really hope it doesnt after a while. I am keeping my fingers crossed because I really like the shade of this one. I was thinking of buying NW20 but it just looked a little too pink for me in the bottle. However I am glad I bought NW15 because it ended up blending in perfectly and was not too pink.

Overall I really like this product so far (the Select SPF 15). NOT the photo that is posted above of the squeeze bottle that is the select 'tint' one. This thread is talking about the Select SPF 15 foundation that provides medium coverage. http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15107&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1622

OH and dont be fooled by 'medium' coverage. I have some acne and I find this product is BUILDABLE and covers pretty well. I didnt go with Studio fix foundation because I heard (not my own experience as I never tried it) that it makes your skin look cakey. But the select spf definitely does the job!!

I apply it with my mac 187 stippling brush and it looks airbrushed. I love how it is matte but not extra matte like the Studio Fix Fluid.

COLOR: ALso the NW15 in the Select SPF 15 is a bit lighter than that of the Studio Fix Fluid NW15 which I find to run a bit darker. This is why I love the SELECT because the color is friggin perfect (not too light and not too pink)

***EDIT*** After using this for a few weeks now...THIS IS AWESOME.. . I LOVE SELECT SPF 15.I have freakishly sensitive skin .. meaning I break out like crazy from foundations however this did not happen in this instance... great for everyday.. but if i want waterproof for those hot humid days, I prefer makeupforever foundation which is waterproof...
ALSO remember that no matter what foundation you use .. make sure you wash your face at night as soon as possible to let your skin breath.. as this reduces acne and bumps that can occur from your skin not breathing.

DOES NOT make you break out... Excellent.. breathable because it is water based!

on 12/9/2009 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I see a lot of reviews about how this foundation drys your skin out. Of course it's going to dry your skin out if you don't exfoliate or moisturize. Any foundation will not only this. You need to exfoliate your skin to get the dryness away. The reason why your face is dry is because you aren't taking care of those dead skin cells laying on your face! I recommend Fix+ for people with very dry skin like me. A spritz of that before and after you applied this foundation, concealer, power, bronzer and you will see NO dryness at all.

I take care of my dry/oily skin and this gives me beautiful coverage. Before I went to my MAC counter I was a little sketchy about this foundation but they showed me how to apply it and it looked beautiful. Normally I cake on my foundation but now I don't. My face looks natural even with intense eye makeup on! Thank you MAC for this wonderful foundation!

I've only used this foundation twice but I couldn't wait to write a review on it. I'll be sure to update if anything changes, but for now, here is my review :)

I went to my local MAC store in search of a new foundation as my "Non-Fiction" foundation by Benefit was causing me to break out really bad and the mineral oil turned my combination skin oily within about 2 hours. I told the MA that I was in search of a foundation that wasn't too matte, but not too dewy either and this is the one she recommended. Funny thing is, she matched me up with an NC30 shade but I'm usually an NC35-40 depending on the time of year. In natural daylight you can see the foundation is much too light for my neck/body but I just add abit of bronzer ontop so nothing major.

As for application, I use my 187 brush and apply to a freshly washed face. I put on a really light layer of moisturiser on before putting this on also. I do recommend washing your face with either a oil-free daily facial scrub or anti-bacterial facewash to get rid of any dirt on your face before applying the foundation. Because of the silicones in foundation (which make a barrier between your skin and the foundation) any dirt that's on your face will get stuck inbetween this layer and cause your skin to BREAK OUT, so make sure your face is 100% clean (moisturising alone will not do this, ladies!)

In terms of blendability, I think this foundation is a little harder to blend than my previous foundation because it dries pretty quickly. However, just make sure you use a quick hand and you'll be fine. The coverage is low-medium depending on how much I use and doesn't feel heavy on my face at all. I was left with quite a matte look and then set it with my MAC mineralize skinfinish natural.

This is where I become impressed. Because of my combination skin (oily t-zone, normal cheeks) my face usually becomes shiny within hours. However, my face hardly had any shine at all within my 9 hour University day. After 9 hours I had a very very slight shine on the tip of my nose and a very very slight dewy look on my forehead. Other than that, I hadn't gone oily at all. The mineralize skinfinish may have had something to do with it, but still - my other foundations have never held up like this before even with powder ontop. The foundation lasts me all day without sliding off or fading.

So far, I've had no breakouts, but having only used this twice I can't really comment. However, usually with just one wear of facial makeup on my face breaks out so things look rather promising.

In conclusion to the good points, I must say I feel really pretty when wearing this foundation, because it makes my skin look flawless (in combination with the powder).

Bad points...well, it comes in a glass bottle so I had to purchase the pump seperately (2.50) which is a pain as it should come with the darn pump in the first place! Also, if I don't blend in quick then the foundation can look unsmooth. I imagine if you use too much it has the potential to turn slightly cakey, although I've never had this problem. The foundation itself is pretty expensive too. Other than that, I'd recommend this to those with combination oily skin and I may repurchase myself once it's run out :)

INFO ABOUT PRODUCT: Water-based. Combines medium coverage with SPF 15. Provides a fresh, natural matte finish. Layers up, lasts long: helps protect the skin all day. Non-oily. 21 shades.

UPDATE:- I've added another lippy, I've grown to like this lippy even more. It smells delicious and has still not broke me out, despite using it for a few weeks now. Might possibly be my HG foundation now... continued >>

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This foundation works so good for me, it gives me a natural finish and a glowing complexion which I love.
Ive tried Studio Fix Fluid and Face and Body and i stated that Select stands somewhere between these two fellas when it comes to coverage.
In my opinion, Studio Fix Fluid is perfect if you are looking for a flawless complexion and full coverage. Select fits better if you are looking for a medium coverage but a nice natural glowing finish and F&B is a very light (coverage) and shinning finish foundation, you dont want to wear it if you have oily skin or is looking for some coverage.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

After being so impressed with the way their Studio Finish concealer covered my acne scars, I was quite open to trying their foundations. Being oily and acne prone, I went with their Select Foundation in NC50. Fears of looking like an overly made up (Ru Paul) drag queen scared the heck out of me which is why I never tried MAC until now, not to mention such mixed reviews here at MUA.

Dabbing it on, I wondered if it really was a water based foundation because it seemed to have an oily quality to it, and because it blended so well. But here's where my opinion differs with many here in their reviews. When it sets itself, it sets matte on my skin, but not flat or cakey or pasty. Its matte properties hold fast and quite long, coverage still in check and does not disappear like how some other reviewers noted, even as the day wears on. I normally don't have to powder up even in hot and humid weather until noontime. It doesn't transfer much either from what I've noticed when I blot with a tissue.

Gosh, sometimes makeuping can be such a dream when you don't have to work so hard at it!

4 lippies because with the price you pay, might as well throw in the sanitary pump, will ya' please, MAC?!

on 6/24/2007 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I think this is a good foundation for light to medium coverage. I use this in NW45, which perfectly matches my skin tone. I have combination skin with a very oily t-zone. This keeps my skin matt till about lunch time. I used to apply this with my fingers but I could never quite get the sheer even natural look I wanted. I now apply it with the 187 brush, which makes such a big difference. It doesnt look obvious that I'm wearing makeup and my skin looks flawless and natural. I havent had any problems with breakouts so far. I would definitely recommend applying this with the 187 brush to get a nice even finish.
Update: When I apply this over MAC Prep and Prime Face Protect SPF 50, it lasts a lot longer and my skin stays matt all day.

on 9/16/2005 1:18:00 AM

UPDATE: 11/5/05: Well, I had a facial done, and after I had the facial done I realized that this stuff was clogging my pores something serious! I had to go back in & get another facial done two weeks after getting my first one just to get rid of all the blackheads it caused. So I dc'd the use of this stuff! Too bad because otherwise it was a perfect foundation -- I switched to Mineral fdn & have not had a single issue since!

Color matched as an NW20.

Let me start off by saying the *only* thing I dislike about this foundation is the packaging it comes in! I personally am not fond of glass bottles w/o hygenic pump dispenser... that being said and out of the way... Let me get on to the good stuff!

It was a happy day in late August 2005 when I spontaneously was walking through a makeup department that just happened to have a MAC counter! Imagine that... okay, now that I have you in the calm part of our journey I will proceed to tell you that I was *only* going to stop to get a much needed lustre l/s (with whom had been bragged about on these boards, so I had to try at least one). I must regress for a second and tell you that I am not really a big MAC fan... I cannot wear their e/s (allergy), so I really stopped giving it a second look (except for a blush here & there)!

So, I proceed to pick out my lipstick & I decide "what the hell, I am here, I am going to get color matched (just so I can say I am a "NW/NC...etc. on the boards). Soooo, two MAC MAs proceed to ask me MANY questions about my skin, what kind of results I am looking for...etc. I tell them I am normal/combo, not really oily, not really dry, not acne prone, but a tad sensitive...etc. I am looking for a natural finish foundation, but I want to look like I have perfect "glowy" skin, but not SPARKLY skin. They started telling me about the Hyperreal Foundation & I say, "no, that kind of scares me... I don't want to be THAT glowy." So they ask me about tinted moisturizers & I tell them that I want a **tad** more coverage than a TM can provide, BUT I do still want my freckles (light, but they are there) on my nose to shine through. Alas, the cute little red headed MAC MA says "Select SPF 15 Foundation" is what you want then. So I says "Okay! Hook a girl up!" So she color matches me & sells me my bottle... and I am a little high from spending $23 on a foundation & a lipstick... and my husband is in a great mood because I am in a great mood... and we get dinner & all is lovely!

The TRUE journey starts the next day... I proceed to test my Select SPF 15 in my favorite manner... with my fingers! I smear a bit on each cheek, chin, nose & forehead and rub it in! What is this I see? ME, but oh so much better... w/ a little glow! So I lightly touch my cheeks, nose & forehead w/ my BE Mineral Veil and I am off... a little scared that my glowiness would turn to shininess in a few hours (as this foundation has SPF 15 in it, and is a "touch" moisturing). By the end of the day I was still perfectly the way I was when I left the house... ME, but oh so better!

The next big feat (sp?) is the two-three week span of worry "is this going to break me out? I hope it doesn't break me out! Oh man, what will I do if a perfectly color matched foundation w/ the perfect finish break me out?" I have NOT broken out once in the past two and a half weeks!

....and they will live Happily Ever After! I swear I am done searching for the perfect foundation, as this one is *it*.... (Disclaimer: I have the right to update my review if anything shall go awry, but I do not see that happening anytime soon!)

*Jocelyn88 sighs a happy little sigh, closes book, and smiles BIG*

continued >>

on 5/9/2009 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I received a weeks sample of Select SPF in NC40 from my local MAC store. I refuse to buy foundation without testing it out or at least seeing it in natural lighting. You never know if it will oxidize or is a bad color match or run or cake or break you out or make you oily or dry you out or etc. This was a very nice match for me and has not caused any skin issues. (For reference, I have combination/dry skin with severe dry patches on my cheeks and browline. I gently exfoliate with MACs skin refinisher in those areas prior to applying moisturizer.) This foundation has a very watery texture and has a low medium coverage that is buildable. I use it over MACs Prep + Prime with SPF 50 and it stays for most of the day. I generally use a foundation brush to apply it on my face. I find that a moist sponge makes it too sheer. A dry sponge soaks up too much product. The 187 brush leaves me streaky. This is the first makeup that has made me feel like I almost have flawless skin. I have large pores and acne scars and a lot of redness (on top of the dry and oily skin), but this makeup makes me feel really good. I put on an even layer then build into the areas that need more coverage and it only takes a small bit of product.

IMO, this foundation is not that expensive. Ive tried Clinique, Prescriptives, Bobbi Brown, Estee Lauder, Lancome, Laura Mercier and Dior and this is the best of the bunch for me. (I dont know if they all come with a pump or not, but Ive included a price for the pump in the MAC pricing since I think that a pump for foundation makeup is essential.)

Clinique = $20.50 - $24.50
M.A.C. = $26.00 + $4.00 (pump) = $30
Prescriptives = $32.50 - $39.50
Laura Mercier = $42
Bobbi Brown = $42 - $45

So for me, $30 for a bottle of makeup that I use every single day is not a bad thing. It will probably last me at least 6 months. Thats $0.17 a day for makeup that makes me feel really good. Luckily, Im not addicted to MACs eyeshadows yet. My family would have to go without groceries for a month! =0[

We all have different skin and lifestyles, but this was my take on this foundation. Thx.

on 12/24/2007 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

SInce I am East Indian, I thought MAC would be the best brand for foundations for my skin tone especially since Clinique (the only other dept store brand that has a wide variety of shades) foundations basically, for lack of a better adjective, sucked.

However, I am not a big fan of MAC MAs. They tend to make me lighter than I am. They kept pushing the NC45 on me, but every time I tried it at home, all I could see was a greyish mask on my skin. So I tried the NW43 which was too red. Resigned to the fact that no other company would make a foundation for my skin tone, I decided to live with the NW43 since when I buffed it with a kabuki brush, it wasn't too bad.

After living with it for nearly a year, I've decided that I truly hated this foundation. It gave me no radiance, in the winter it was too drying, and because I had to buff it down cause of the shade, almost no coverage. Also, what is up with MAC not giving out a pump dispenser with this product and making me pay extra for the pump if they ever have it in stock? The only thing I liked about it was the fact that it did keep me somewhat matte in the summer.

After an extended stay at Sephora, I finally found my HG foundation, Cargo Oil Free Foundation in #70. For those East Indian ladies who are between NW43 and NC45, I suggest you try the Cargo. It feels weird going on but in 10 minutes or so, you will have glowing radiant even toned skin.

on 5/26/2011 12:27:00 AM

I was seeking a medium-coverage, matte finish liquid foundation that's good for oily skin, and was directed to this product by a MAC artist. She couldn't decide if I was an NC or NW tone (story of my life!), but she settled on NW25. The colour match seemed to be good enough, so I went with it.

Overall, I'm unimpressed with this foundation. I find that the coverage never lasts, even with a primer, and that it slips around on my skin throughout the day. I'm left with patches or either oily or dry skin. It's almost too watery for me, if that makes any sense? (It is a water-based foundation, but this is too much!) On the plus, the finish is definitely matte and stayed that way in the spots where my makeup didn't move. It also didn't oxidize on me, which is a problem I often have with liquid foundations. To my knowledge, it hasn't caused any breakouts (I've had a few, but feel pretty confident that this was the evil-doing of a different product).

To be sure, one day I decided to do half of my face in MAC Select and the other half in MAC Studio Fix. I literally split my face down my forehead, nose and chin into two halves, followed my normal routine on both halves (moisturizer, primer, concealer, etc...), but used the two different foundation products. By the day's end, the Studio Fix had steamrolled the Select competition. Two friends and my hubby also weighed in with their opinions (who doesn't love a science experiment, after all?!) and they unanimously preferred the Studio Fix side. It certainly looked more natural and even, whereas the Select was wearing thin and patchy.

Not a repurchase for me!