Urban Decay Naked Heat

Urban Decay Naked Heat

4.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 9/19/2017 8:55:00 PM

Wanted to want this palette SO badly. So before I go knocking it let me say that UD shadows and more specifically, the naked line may be my favorite eyeshadow formulations. I go HARD on my naked, naked 3 and both basics palettes. They're my children.

I prefer warm shadows and when this came out I was so drawn and just wanting to own it and love it forever.

In summary this is not a versatile palette-- not even in the obvious sense of creating warm looks, but in the sense of all the mid tone shades are just coppery red and inevitably every look you create is going to look more or less the same when you're done.

Ounce: peachy toned vanilla shade. Satin finish like those found in the first shades of the basics palettes. Great quality. I think for my taste I would have preferred a yellow bone-ish color. But it's fine.

Chaser-- nice transition shade. Very light in tone like lighter than naked2 in the first basics palette. Obviously warm undertone. Then there is sauced and low blow. This palette is DEFINITELY not wanting for mattes. There's 8 of them.

Left side of the palette is fine and I have no qualms EXCEPT these are all warm tone browns of various saturation and basically depending how you apply to the lid and blend, you can use all of these interchangeably (example: if you use LESS of a deeper brown and blend it will look lighter). So in short I don't feel all of these are needed or necessary and that's the general theme of my issue w this palette.

Now moving on to the middle of the palette. Lumbre is beautiful. It reminded me a tad of mac expensive pink. Needed to be foiled to be built up, otherwise is wasn't really all that pigmented.

My HUGE issue w this palette is take he devil, scorched and dirty talk, apply them to your eye and voila ITS THE SAME FREAKIN COLOR 3 times. Yes, I know he devil is a matte, but even still. Once these are physically on the eye, tonally they are near identical. Hence, every look you create w this palette is the same from the interchangeable warm browns, to the 3 shades of... red. Probably some are more sensitive to nuance and I know this will be downvoted by some, but on my eyes it was basically all interchangeable looks.

Moving on to the right of the palette: cayenne reminds me of Mac brown script. Nice mid tone warm brown and slightly less red than he devil. I think for most looks you can use one over the other and basically get a very similar affect.

En fuego and ashes were flipping GORGEOUS and if I could justify a $54 eyeshadow palette just for 2 colors I would use those all the time.

And ending on a bad note I was so let down by ember. In the pan and swatched on the arm it Is a gorgeous duochromey blackened brown w red shift. It's a black base and no matter how hard I tried applied to the lids I couldn't get that duochrome shade to show up without that black base peaking through and looking off. I don't know how to explain it. Like if I took ember and stamped it onto my lid to create a smokey eye, when I went to blend into the crease it would blend away and the corners of my eyes would become charcoal and the duochrome would just blend away. Maybe it's user error, wetting the brush or building up the shade didn't help. And the fallout was insane.

So that's that. I was torn bw 2 or 3 stars but you know what the quality is up to par more or less so I think you'll either like this or you won't.

If red eyes are your thing and you wear them a few times a week I think some people can TRULY get down w this palette. Same w naked 3, it's a love or hate bc you either rock pink shadow or you don't. I like a touch of red but honestly I think the offerings in ABH MR are more than enough for me.

I wish this was more versatile. Some golds would have helped, maybe a true rose gold or copper. A terracotta that was maybe a bit more orange to break up some of the red. I dunno.

It missed the mark for me personally. I wouldn't spend the $ on it personally, thought about putting it on a wishlist but I think I'll pass all together.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This palette is wonderful. It isn't perfect, but it is nearly perfect in my opinion. I have been a fan of UD for well over a decade and I have sampled a lot of their products, and for me, Naked Heat is one of the nicest palettes they have ever put together. The outer packaging is lovely and very well-designed to go with the overall mood of the makeup that is inside. It is the first 12-pan Naked palette to come in a plastic case, but it is well-made, and the magnetic closure seems sturdy (so it would be good for travel.) The brush that comes with the palette is nice for blending out the shadows, and it is the same soft cruelty free fibers that UD uses in other palette brushes. As for the shadows themselves, there are no repromotes and no duds in terms of quality or texture. There are seven mattes and five shimmers, and they are all at least as good as the quality of UD singles. I find the shimmers especially to be among the nicest shadows I have ever tried from UD, and I have been using their shadows since they were in the metal manhole cover pots for singles. The star of this palette is probably Lumbre, which is a peach with gold shimmer that is almost duochromatic and looks wet when applied with fingertips. Lumbre is like a sexier version of UD X eye shadow but with an even nicer texture. In the pan Scorched and Dirty Talk look very similar, but swatched Scorched is a very metallic copper while Dirty Talk is a red-bronze metallic with a little iridescent sparkle. For the mattes, my favorite is probably En Fuego (the 2nd darkest shade), which is a very red-toned dark brown. In some swatch and promo photos that were on the internet before the palette was released to the public, this shade looked much more red, but in person it's definitely brown with red undertones. I think this palette is very versatile, especially if you like very warm eye looks. I can easily make day and night looks with this palette just like any other Naked palette, and the fact that this one has more mattes than shimmers definitely makes it worth having in my collection. A lot of people expect this palette to be more red-based, but even UD calls it an amber Naked palette, and I think that's a much better descriptor. The heart of the palette is Lumbre, Scorched, and Dirty Talk, all of which would fall into an amber category. I highly recommend this palette to warm-toned people and anyone who loves orangey, ambery, or bronzey eye looks. If you're a fan of warm golds this might be right up your alley as well.

on 8/2/2017 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

I'm a fan of Urban Decay's other Naked palettes, especially the Naked 3. I also have the ABH Modern Renaissance, Too Faced PB & Jelly palette, and Sweet Peach palette. So I'm inundated with warm, orange shades. When I saw this palette on Instagram and Youtube, though I have the other palettes, I caved and purchased it.

I admit I'm beginning to regret this palette because I think orange eyeshadows may not be the most flattering look on me. I have a light olive skin tone with cool undertones, dark brown eyes and dyed dark brown hair. The shadows themselves are gorgeous, especially Dirty Talk, Scorched and Ember. All shades apply and blend well. But every look I try is just very orange, not red, or even really amber like what Urban Decay says. I think my skin color is just not jiving with these colors, and I took down one star not because the colors didn't work for me, which I consider to be poor judgement on my part, but because I wish there was more variation in the shades.

The ABH MR, Too Faced Peach and PB & Jelly palettes I can make work for me because they are not only orange, peach or red shades. When I wear ABH MR, though I don't like the formula (too powdery and sometimes muddies on me) I can still create an intense reddish or mauve look that work on me. Sweet Peach I mix peach and purple together, or the shimmery light browns and can create wearable daytime looks. PB & Jelly I tend to use the Jelly color to balance the orange out, or tone it down by using Jammin.' But with the Naked Heat Palette, there isn't a variety of red, burgundy, plum, brown or a light shimmery shade to mix up with all these warm shades. En Fuego comes off as orange again, and Ashes isn't burgundy/plum enough to distinquish it from the other shades. Ember does help tone down the other shades, but I don't want to have to use it every time I create a look.

I'd still recommend this to someone who loves very warm eyeshadows and is fine with the shade selection being monochromatic. I personally like palettes that have colors that go together very well or are monochromatic, like the Naked 3, Too Faced Chocolate Bar, and Lorac Unzipped. Orange and Yellow in clothing colors make me look like I have jaundice so I should have realized an all orange eyeshadow palette wasn't going to work on me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is great for anyone wanting to try the "opposite color" technique, it’s loaded with orange / amber shades. I think this would be a welcome addition to anyone's stash who has no/a few basic palettes and wanting something interesting, pretty, and fun.
However... I have looked through all of my other palettes and can find dupes for over half of the colors. Not exact dupes but close enough (ABH MR palette has several similar shades and is a way better formula.) The colors look the same on my eyes, probably because I’m trying to sheer them out, I can get the same effect from the dupe shades I'm finding. And just like a popular youtube reviewer said, it really could of used one or two more shades on the lighter side to balance it out, so I am taking one star off.
So… after much thought (and now a little heartbreak) I returned it. It honestly is a beautiful palette, but I’m 47 and work in a professional environment and I need to keep my looks super neutral, and I can’t get neutral from this palette. If I didn’t already have so many other fun palettes, I would keep it, but now I feel more confident dipping into those orange shades that I have neglected in my other palettes.

on 9/24/2017 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

I'll start by saying this is a gorgeous palette and that there is not a single colour here that I do not love. They all apply beautifully (especially Ember, the duochrome flash in this one is amazing) and they last really well over a base of UDPP. If you are looking for a well-rounded palette, imo, this is not it. Personally, I view it as a supplemental palette, using colours from here to accent and spice up an eye look that is missing a bit of oomph. If you are going into this thinking you can create multiple totally different looks, you may end up disappointed. I'm not an expert, but I can only manage 4 completely different looks with this palette - and to me, that is just fine. I agree with some reviewers who have mentioned that a true gold or bronze, and possibly a true matte red in this palette would have rounded it out nicely. But as it stands, these shadows are amazingly easy to apply and build. Each colour will see use over time, although Ember will probably hit pan first, I really adore it. If you are a fan of warm eyes, this one will be a winner.

on 8/12/2017 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This palette is great quality. The shadows are amazing and pigmented and blend really easily. I actually prefer this formula to the old Naked palettes, which had a ton more fallout. I also appreciate that this palette had a ton of mattes, which always kept me from using my other Naked palettes.

However, this palette misses the mark for me. The looks end up all looking the same. There is not enough variation between the shades to be able to get a variety of looks. The undertones are all the same and some colors are too similar to each other, and on the eyes, it doesn't make a big difference between one shade and the next. For my taste, it is a little too monotone. I wish they had played around with some brighter oranges or darker red shades to add a little more spice.

So, it is a great quality palette, but if you're looking for a lot of versatility, you won't find it here.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had convinced myself I wasn't going to be buying this palette because I already have the anastasiaMR but I saw it in Sephora while on vacation and could not resist. All the shades are absolutely amazing, I love the range of transition shades, it makes everything blend so well together. The deeper colours are great for adding more drama and I love ashes as an alternative to a black shadow. The duochrome shimmers are amazing and a totally different formula from the naked 3 shimmers.
The only downside (maybe) is that it's a predictable palette, I know what sort of look I will get from it every time I go to use it. but I LOVE that look and I love that I don't have to really think about planing a cohesive look with it because it does that for me. I just know I'll use every shade and enjoy it down to the last dust particle.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Just a quick initial review. I like the warmth of this pallete (finally something that doesn't look ashy on my skin) and the quality of the shadows. I'm more of a neutral girl and I feel like this takes me ever so slightly away from that zone with all the popping orange tones. I'm thinking I could get bored of this palette quicker than I want though because It feels like I can't get that much variation in looks. The one colour that I was excited about was Lumbre but then I swatched it beside Mac Expensive pink and realized that they are so similar. Expensive pink being ever so slightly lighter and more pigmented. The matte lighter browns are also really nice but are so simialr to Mac Soft Brown and Mac Saddle but more pigmented and slightly warmer. So for those reasons I have been wavering on my decision to return the pallette :(. The one colour that really surprised me in a great way is Ember. It is so crazy unique. It looks like a metallic purple/grey brown in some light and in other light it has an orange bronze irridecent look. Because of that colour alone plus some of the bright shimmery orange shades that I don't have in any other palette, I am hedging more towards keeping this. Arghhh I just wish it was an easy keep vs no keep decision. It's quite expensive palette to have if there is some duplication already in your collection.

Update1: I didn't end up returning it... and sooo glad I stuck with it. I realized that the matte shades that had Mac dupes were just so much more luxurious to put on and some how it just looked ever so slightly nicer and more pigmented on my skin. I actually find myself using this palette everyday and is so versatile in that I can use some of the colours mixed together as a blush. Also as lip colour if you dab it on top of lip balm. There is something about these warm tones and my skin colouring (NC44) that really make it easy to get this nice every day flushed eye look if I stick to the lighter and medium shades. Anyways.. love this paletted and it will transition nicely into Fall.

This palette has exceeded my expectations in an Urban Decay palette in all honesty I was not happy with some of there palettes. But this has restored my faith in them 10 fold! This Naked Heat is one of the most lovely palettes I've have the pleasure of owning. The shades are so dang blendable but not too the point where they get muddy. Just a great texture and smoothness they don't make my eyes look crepy either. The colours including the shimmers are just so easy to apply with minimal to no fallout. I did a full eye look in no time with this and can see multiple looks right off the top of my head. About me very cool toned, NW20 or below, light blonde hair, and green eyes for reference. Here are some of my favorite shades.

Ounce is a great brow bone highlight and it looks so dang pretty on. It's smooth and buttery and is excellent for blending out shades and on its own it goes right in with my skintone. En Fuego, Ashes, and Cayenne in the crease are just awesome together they make a very groovy defined crease that kinda reminds me of a sunset. I use Ashes to really define it. The brush in this palette I had no problem using and I actually like it. It made applying and blending out shadows in my crease no problem whatsoever. Lumbre is gorgeous and should be made permanent imo. I love it on the lid with Scorched on the other half. I add a little ounce in the middle and it really makes my eyes standout and look bigger. I love that this palette has a lot of mattes I think this is one of the few Naked palettes that doesn't have a ton of glitter bombs. I'm super impressed at how well the shades coordinate with each other.

At first I wasn't going to buy this but once I realized that they were all neutrals and they were so pretty I thought yea I really would like it. So glad I did because I love this palette it's one of Urban Decays best for me in a while. I own Nakeds 2,3,Smokey, and now Heat and I would most definitely repurchase this. The shadows are smooth, buttery, and have minimal fallout. Much more mattes and the blend ability on these bad boys is amazing! So happy I bought this I think this could work with a majority of skintones plus they are a dream to use and make almost any look so easily. Also on me they do not crease nor settle into fine lines or transfer to my upper lid. I also like how smooth they apply and how light, pigmented, and comfortable they feel on my lids. So happy with this palette. Recommended.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I waited a long time to purchase this and finally used my Ulta dividends to bring down the cost. I am fascinated with the colors is this palette, because they remind me of fall. If you like warm colors, this is for you. As always, Urban Decay shadows are easy to blend and I think all of the colors in this palette are well pigmented. The brush is actually useable!! and I really like it. There are several good transition colors and nothing is too glittery for my 65 year old eyelids. I would recommend this palette if you do not have many warm colors and this is something you wear. I think it will last forever, as it takes so little due to the intense pigment. I liked it from the first use.