Suqqu Eyebrow Liquid Pen (NEW)

Suqqu Eyebrow Liquid Pen (NEW)
Eyebrow Liquid Pen (NEW)

4.3

on 8/2/2017 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This review is slightly belated (I did a comparison post on the board when I first got this!). However, I'm glad I gave it some time before reviewing as I've come to like this new brow pen more and more. It may even displace ABH Brow Wiz as my lazy day (read: most days) brow product, which is very high praise! (FYI: I wear Granite or Ash Brown, when that shade is available, in ABH's Brow Wiz, Brow Pencil, Brow Definer and Brow Powder Duo.)

For reference, I'm a shade or so paler than N15, with undertones on the cooler end of the spectrum. I have dark brown hair with natural coppery-red highlights that are quite warm. (I'm mixed race - East Asian/white - so discerning undertones is always a complicated exercise.) My eyebrows, however, don't have any warmth to them and I have a strong preference for ashy brow shades. I bought this product in the shade Khaki. I've included numerous comparison swatches and pics which I hope are helpful

My in depth thoughts below:

COMPARISON OF OLD vs NEW FORMULA

I know there are many fans of the original Suqqu Eyebrow Pen, especially in the Moss Green shade (also my former shade of choice). Suqqu recently introduced a new 'Framing Eyebrow Liquid Pen', which comes in a wider range of shades, including: Khaki, Grey, Camel, and Brown. The closest equivalent to Moss Green in the new formula is Khaki (which, btw, Selfridges confusingly still calls Moss Green.)

In my opinion, this formula is a huge improvement on the older one. There are several reasons why I prefer the new one but I've laid out the top two below.

1) BETTER PIGMENTATION
For some people, this may be a negative thing so YMMV. As you can see in my swatch pics, Moss Green is much, much lighter than Khaki. That's what made it so universal a product I think.

However for people like me who already have dark, thick, naturally well-defined brows, the old formula just lacked oomph (and by oomph, I mean pigmentation.) My brows really don't require much work - just a little bit of evening out (i.e. correcting the disparity between my lower left arch and higher right arch, extending the tail end of my brows slightly, and filling in the odd sparse patches I get.)

The new formula checks all those boxes AND is pretty goof proof too. While the pigment is much stronger, it isn't too dark (no Crayola brows) and it retains the shine-free, natural-looking finish of the old pen.

2) IMPROVED PACKAGING & SHELF LIFE
One big issue I had with the old brow pen was that it dried up way too quickly. Two-three weeks is just not good enough for me. I've had this for more than a month and it's as good as the day I opened it.

Packaging is nicer too. The old pen was a matte plain black and often I found it hard to find amongst all my other eyeliners, brow pencils, etc. The new pens have coloured caps which match the shade of the pen.

I also found the nib of the new brow pen to be much sharper and less floppy than the old brow pen so it's better at creating the illusion of individual little hairs.

ASHY/COOL FACTOR

One of the reasons Moss Green was so popular was its ashy quality (ashy shades tend to look more natural on brows).

According to Suqqu's official Instagram, Moss Green in the old formula remains the most ashy/cool shade - an assessment I'd agree with. I purchased Khaki because of the following statement Suqqu made on Instagram:

"In order of intensity/darkness would be, 04 Grey in new formula > 01 Khaki in new > 01 Moss Green in old. Khaki is black-ish green while Grey has a subtle red undertone. ".

Based on blog swatches, Grey does appear warmer than Khaki. However, it isn't Moss Green level ashy. So that will be a downside for some people.

FINAL THOUGHTS
When I first got the new pen, I was disappointed with the warmth of Khaki compared to Moss Green. However, for me at least, it looks perfectly neutral on my eyebrow. Also, in real life, it doesn't look as brown as it does in my swatches! It's a true khaki taupe brown, neutral/cool, and definitely not warm. I've been using this pen daily since I bought it aand I find myself liking it more and more. I'll probably stick to the Khaki shade when I stock up again. (I definitely will be repurchasing!)

GRADE: A

on 7/9/2017 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was so looking forward to trying this item, but was not particularly enthralled.
Yes, it's a very fine brush, but you have to be patient in your drawing to make it worth it.
It seemed to run out very quickly too, so I thought it really expensive for an average product

on 6/24/2017 12:06:00 AM

I got into the Suqqu eyebrow liquid pens way back when Lisa Eldridge mentioned them in her tutorials. Back then, there were only two colors, Dark and Moss Green. Now they`ve introduced 4 colors and they have changed the felt tip to make it even thinner. It works much better than the older version and the color range is more versatile. I especially love using this to elongate the tail of my brows. At 4000 JPY, it`s a pricy little bugger, but my trick is to combine it with a 1400 JPY eyebrow liquid pen I just got from the drugstore, which although it`s very cheap, can give Suqqu a run for its money in terms of color and longevity. That eyebrow pen is Elizabeth Natural Baby Brown (I wrote a review on here). I`ve been using that same pen from Elizabeth for more than 3 months, and it`s still going strong. The color is a much better match for me than Suqqu, but the downfall of the Elizabeth pen is that it doesn`t have a felt tip as fine as Suqqu`s. I will keep repurchasing both because they work great together to make natural looking brows.

Popular Brows Products