Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok guys....
First let me tell you I'm an NC30-35 in MAC foundation shade. My undeye circles are moderately dark and slightly dry. I've tried countless foundations to try to cover them up but a lot crape or don't stay put throughout the day.
I used a Bobby Brown salmon corrector with the Kevyn Aucoin sx8 concealer on top. Bare in mind a little with this product goes A LONG way. It's really thick so work it in as quickly as you can.
I applied a little bit of my Laura mercier secret brightening powder on top with my damn beauty blender and my under eye was looking covered, highlighted and made me look more awake! (This is always a plus)

Could be quite heavy for everyday use. Also consider even though it's pricey for a concealer, the product is thick and you only need a little amount. I've had my tub for over a year and I still have so much product left!

Make sure to moisture your undereye well beforehand; if you want the product to sit well on your skin.

Hope that helped my dry skinned people :)

on 6/24/2016 9:07:00 AM

So I wasn't sure about this product, I kept playing with it....mixing it with different primers or moisturizers. Tried traditional foundation brushes (the flat synthetic kind), tried it with the beauty blender. It really didn't impress me. Then I tried buffing it with the real techniques brush and OMG, I suddenly got the hype!! I break a q-tip in half and put tiny rice sized amounts around my face, maybe 5 total, then buff it out. It is amazing!! I repeat in problem areas to build it up and the coverage and air brushed finish is very impressive!! I set it with a light dusting of Laura Mercier powder then Urban Decay setting spray and it does not move all day.

To Read all 387 Reviews, Login or Join

When I first received the tiny pot of SSE in the mail, I was disappointed in the size. That was, until I discovered how heavily pigmented it is. I quickly realized that all I need is the tiniest dab to conceal spots and any redness that my foundation may not cover.

While the neutral beige was a nearly perfect match for my skin, I sadly found that the product was difficult to work with. It is extremely cakey, even when used very sparingly, and highlights the dry patches around my nose - patches of dryness I didn't even know existed!

It is also heavily fragranced, but the fragrance seems to disappear shortly after application. It smelled like a generic perfume to me, not bad but not great, either. Lastly, I was very disheartened to see that it had oxidized on me and slid off my nose and chin before the six hour mark!

Although I adore Kevyn Aucoin, I don't believe I will be purchasing the SSE ever again. For my combination, mature skin, it just doesn't seem to work. :(

on 6/19/2016 10:39:00 AM

Background: My skin is a NC-15 in MAC. I'm pretty pale. I wear an N10 in Custom FX Coverdrops. My skin is pretty good, I've just got some pigmented marks from some previously healed acne.

I bought the Skin Enhancer in SX01, the lightest shade. I had heard about all the reviews and the great wonders of it so I said: heck yeah! I got some samples and tried them out as a foundation at first. One pin head amount, you know the yellow pin heads, with some moisturizer. It covered pretty well but was a little cakey. Since most people use it as a concealer anyway I decided to do that.

As a concealer: I do not like this. Its heavy coverage I hear but....it doesn't blend out well for me. When I put it on, yes, it covers up my untextured redness. However, as soon as I blend it out and into my skin I suddenly see the redness again. It just will not blend into my moisturized skin, primed skin, unmoisturized skin, unprimed skin without blending away. I typically either just tap it with a beauty blender or my pinky, since its the weakest finger, so I know I'm not blending too hard.

on 6/17/2016 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer is an amazing full coverage concealer.I normally don't review products but after reading some bad reviews I felt I should rate this stuff.

Firstly, it's a full coverage concealer. Its very thick and a little goes a long way. I don't get how people say it gets in fine lines other than they need to blend it a lil better and set it with a powder. I apply around the eyes after vitamin e oil so it thins it out a bit. Use Bobbi Brown foundation all over and blot it out after my foundation application.

Secondly, I use a decent setting powder. I use Mac for my all over minus my eyes.. Then usr Ben Nye white on my highlight areas. It smooths out my skin so much.. Litterally looms like a doll. I'm 32 so around my eyes I have a few fine lines. I never use the baking method. I normally use a fan brush and lightly apply powder over the direct under eye but apply powder well on my other areas with a basic eyeshadow brush... Nose bridge, for head, cupids bow, chin, and jawline.

I'm getting a bit off track but method is everything with makeup application. KA skin enhancer is the best concealer I've purchased. I'm not some Aucoin groupie or use anything else of his but this is the only concealer I use for me. I'm an MUA and occasionally I need a lighter coverage concealer for clients so I either thin it out with natural stuff like vitamin e oil.. Unless I have someone with oily skin and then I just clean and prime the skin well using a luffa and coconut oil and keihls blue herbal cleanser. I still usually usevKA but go light and thin it out with Bobbi Brown.

All around I don't care around the cost for the coverage. I've used the same pot for almost a year it lasts so long for me.. I used a separate on my clients. I've never had a by complaints for breakouts . the trick to application is blend blend blend... And technique. I hope they never get rid of this.

Only other advise I'd give is don't waste so much money on facial lotions etc. Go natural. Vitamin e oil, vitamin c, vitamin k for dark undereye, hyaluronic acid, coconut oil, vitamin a is retinol. All these expensive products just have basic things in them you can buy individually and you're not putting crap on your face. I wish I would of known Years ago. My face looks amazing. I still get id'd buying alcohol and I've only started about 7 years ago.

on 5/25/2016 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

2nd Update: I've changed the rating from 1 to 2 lippies, because this is not absolutely useless. You can cover things with it ( hyper pigmentation, acne marks), and have this cover-up look skin-like. Also even though this is absolutely NOT a beginners foundation product, you can make it work with the proper steps and upkeep. That said the Sephora description of the product makes SO many claims, I have to give this a bad review. Today I did two coats applied with a concealer brush and blended out carefully with a damp beauty blender on top of a long wearing foundation. I tapped and rolled all over with powder to set the product. I used a silicone primer underneath. 2-3 hours post application this product is already settling into fine lines around my mouth, laugh lines, and under my eyes. I blotted with a blotting paper, fixed things as best as possible and re-powdered. This is hi-maintenance on my combination skin to keep it from moving/melting. I would only recommend this product in general for contouring (because you use it on smooth, drier areas of the face), or to people with drier skin, on whom this foundation might not move as much, possibly mixed into a longer wearing primer product. If you are combination to oily skin, and want this product to have longevity, you will have to set this product with powder THOROUGHLY, prime very well AND use a setting spray like Skindinavia's. If you have very oily skin, please, don't even bother with this. Your oils will un-set the foundation and you will have it moving around like mad. :S

UPDATE: This crap breaks me out. My whole t-zone is congested with clogged pores from 3 days of use. I'm so upset. There are so much better products out there, even at the drugstore. This has 4.1 in rating because of Kevin Acoin groupies or people that don't have acne prone skin that can mix this with oil for example. Now I'll have to use salicylic acid everyday to deal with my bloody clogged pores. Might need a frigging facial too.

EDIT: I wore this today over a matte mineral spf. I look a 100 years old. It looks caked up in places, it kind of faded from my under eyes unatractively, emphasized my fine lines and texture problems. This means that to use this you have to have something emollient underneath or mix it into something emmollient, and exfoliate first, with a physical scrub. You have to set it good too or it will lift unless you have dry skin. I'M SO UPSET I bought this crap. So upset. I can't return it. This absolutely does NOT deserve a 4.1 rating. Buy a sample instead. I wish I had. I have sx11 I'm nc 40-43 if you want to swap.

Review
First things first, this is SUPER thick. It's hard to blend with a brush, and I don't like to use a sponge because it eats the product up. This also smells bad, like a mineral oil based salve of some kind. On me it feels a bit itchy if used all over. I have the same issue with vaseline.

FINISH AND COVERAGE
This on me has a satin finish, that initially looks unnatural when applied all over, specially on textured areas, it looks more natural when it has gotten time to settle. Buffed out it gives light coverage. If applied full on and built up it can achieve full coverage. It highlights skin texture a little and I don't like that. I have large pores. I expected much more of this splurge than I got.

ACNE
This might be causing clogged pores around my nose, cheeks and chin, I'm not sure. I've been using it 3 days now. If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised. It's waxy and has oils in it. I shall update.

APPLICATION
I prefer to tap and roll this in, to use as a concealer. I won't be using this again as foundation.

I purchased this about a year ago. When I first received it, I used it a couple of times and absolutely hated it. It was thick, it was hard to blend and the color was eh. I tried it with and without primer, and still wasn't thrilled. Used my fingers and a beauty blender and it was just not as great as everyone was making it out to be. I set it aside until a couple of months ago when I brought it back out because I wanted a no makeup look but my skin still needed some help. This second go around was a win for me. This is what I did differently:

First I am using a different, lighter primer, than I was before. I'm using MUFE Step 1 Skin Equalizer Hyrdrating Primer, which is excellent btw, not too heavy and moisturizes without making me feel like everything is going to slide off of my face in an hour or 2. Second, I used MUCH less product, taking a little bit out of the pot and applying with a concealer brush where I needed the most help. Then I took my Elf Ultimate Blending Brush and buffed/blended the concealer until it was seamless. Set with Nars Light Reflecting powder, a few spritzes of NYX setting spray and I'm good to go. It stays fresh all day. I do think the key to success with this product is the type of primer and the amount of product you use. This is thick, you don't need much, and if your skin is prepped properly it blends like a dream so the color is seamless (I think I was using too much my first time using it, which made it hard to blend and made the color look off). When applied correctly, this looks like my skin, but better, and that's saying something for my 53 year old, seen alot of sun, did alot of partying, skin.

For me, after figuring out the type of application that worked for me, this has become a go to in my arsenal. And against popular opinion, I love the pot. I like seeing what's left and having complete control over the amount of product being dispensed. I will purchase this again.

on 5/13/2016 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I hate being the wet blanket but...this concealer didn't work for me. I got Sx05, which was a really good match for NW/NC 20 complexion. When I first put it under my eyes, it looked great--very brightening. However, I was always so amazed by how exhausted I looked within a few hours of applying makeup, and then I realized why--the concealer had worn off. I have oily skin, but it's winter, and I'm hardly working up a sweat, so there's no real reason for this. I gave this two months but I'm calling it quits and switching back to Nars Radiant, which isn't perfect (hence why I tried this one) but which lasts longer on my face.

I will say, though, that for the price, this product will last you a long time. I used a tiny scoop every day and it more than covered the central part of my face (the only part I use makeup on). This would have lasted me a year with everyday use, easily.

Maybe it's better for dry skin?

on 5/5/2016 11:52:00 AM

Here are my first impressions of this product. I have samples of #4 and #6, and probably they will last for a while so I can't say yet if I will repurchase. Still playing around with it, as it were. First I must say, that this product is not a miracle. It's good but also tricky, and definitely requires some effort to make it work. Not your everyday foundation, in other words. It's extremely pigmented and thick. I've tried #4 on its own (applied with a damp beauty blender) and wasn't too impressed; it's easy to sheer out the product with the blender - I still only used a tiny amount, something like a grain of rice - but the finish is not as natural as I like. With a heavier application, I think it would look very "made up". My liquid foundation (NARS sheer glow in Ceylan) gives a better, more skin-like finish. As a concealer, this works well on some of my acne scars, using a truly tiny amount. I wouldn't use it as an under-eye concealer, except maybe mixed with some moisturiser - haven't tried that yet.
Now, mixed with moisturiser or sunscreen, I find this does a nice job. I have made my own "tinted moisturiser" with it, and also used it to add a little coverage to my mineral sunscreen, which tends to be too white. I used #6, the slightly darker shade, and it was good. Haven't tried mixing this with facial oil as some people have suggested; will try and see. One thing I must stress is that you have to have perfectly moisturised skin, no flakies as it will definitely catch on them!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

EDIT: Alright, I tried it again today. And it worked this time. My skin looks flawless, just like skin and the coverage is mindblown! I did the following steps:
01. Exfoliate + Toner + Moisturizer
02. used a light primer (without silicones) and put it on my skin with the white beautyblender
03. I took some product with a Q-tip and dot it on my face
04. with a hairdryer (medium warm air) -> "melting" the product on my face
05. with a damp pink beautyblender (not towel dried!) I bounced and blended the dots softly and careful
06. setting the first layer with a strong hairspray
07. waiting a few minutes to set, then adding another layer to those parts which need more coverage
08. setting with translucent powder and then again, a strong hairspray.

I'll wait how long this will look so flawless and report my experience. When it still looks good after many hours, it'll get the 5 lippies. ;)

Original review:
After reading the praising reviews, I bought it immediately. The day I received it, I didn't wait longer and put a tiny bit on both of my dark eye circles to test it. The coverage was ok, I expected more. So I put another thin layer over it. But a few a minutes later it started to crease so badly (I settled it with translucent powder).
It's horrible as foundation (either mixed or on its own), no matter which primer I used (silicone based, water based, oil based, matte). After 30 minutes it settled into my fine lines and pores. You could see it slowly wore off. I tried to dab it back with my fingers/beauty blender but the product itself transferred on my fingers/bb so there was no SSE on my skin anymore. I'm frustrated that this won't work for me. So many people love this stuff and it seems they have not these problems. I wish I could be one of them. On others, it does an amazing job, but not on me. Hopefully you have more luck than me. Please consider buying a sample, I was lucky to order a matching shade (only good thing for me about SSE, the shade range).