Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Okay, so I don't mean to ruin this for anybody because I'm still on the fence: So I ordered this from Sephora in color 07, thinking I could use it a little lighter to add coverage to my darker foundation. The color did not match, and I think led to part of the reason why I don't love it. I tried it mixed with my foundation, and had success at some points, but found my foundation to look a little dry. So then I mixed it with my Korres moisturizer, but it was too pale and not a ton of coverage overall, like barely a tinted moisturizer. I also bought the Boots Botanics facial oil to try this with and it was just too pale and dry looking, really cakey and not luxurious. - Honestly, I tried to work with this and I KNOW it's tough until you get it, but I don't have the patience to figure out how to use this at all. I think I'm going to order it again in the color 10, and hopefully that helps. But honestly: I really wanted to love this and I do love Kevyn Aucoin, but this just wasn't for me right now. I got a sample of the cover fx drops instead, so we'll see how those go.

on 10/16/2016 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

After using this for an entire year I am finally writing a review!

Sensual skin enhancer is amazing, it finally allowed me to cover my imperfections with out having to also use layer upon layer of foundation (I have acne and hyper pigmentation). This has honestly been life changing, I can't emphasise how much. I used to spend over an hour doing my make up on a morning because my skin looked so disgusting i felt like i need to compensate by putting loads of eye make up on and lipstick and the full face just everyday. Since beginning to use and working with it, it has truly changed my daily routine (I can get ready in 5 minutes!!).

For application I would say using a concealer brush is best, you need a tiny amount (when i mean tiny I mean like a tiny dot this stuff covers like crazy). Then just blend blend blend, this blends seamlessly into your own skin. I've tried using a beauty blender however felt as if this shifted the product a tad. Also this is not really that suitable for undereyes as it can look cakey, however mixed with a moisturiser it may work in doing that.

Whilst the price seems crazily high it's really not, one pot lasted me over a year! The pot holds so much product and it so highly pigmented that this isn't something you go through in a couple months.

I honestly can't thank Kevyn Aucoin enough, this product has just made my life so much easier. Now onto my second pot!

(I am also mac NC42 and i got this sx11)

This stuff is magical. It can hide ANYTHING and make you look like you had the best 12 hour sleep of your life.

It's super thick so moisturised, hydrated and primed skin is key as it can look cakey if your skin isn't prepped for it. I apply mine with a beautyblender which also helps leave a nice dewy finish.

Although it might seem pricey, a little bit goes a loooooonnnggg way (no, seriously. Be careful!)

Only downside of this product is the packaging. It's a pot so if you apply it with your fingers it's not the most hygienic. A squeeze tube would be way better.

Best product for long wearing concealing and foundation. I've had mine for FOUR YEARS and still have about half the pot left. It probably has gone bad by now, but I'm still using it.... I've used it backpacking through the jungle, this stuff looks great throughout the day. You can get discounts on this on other websites so it's not expensive at all. I want to try the foundation. I have SX 08 and am a NC30 skintone.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok guys....
First let me tell you I'm an NC30-35 in MAC foundation shade. My undeye circles are moderately dark and slightly dry. I've tried countless foundations to try to cover them up but a lot crape or don't stay put throughout the day.
I used a Bobby Brown salmon corrector with the Kevyn Aucoin sx8 concealer on top. Bare in mind a little with this product goes A LONG way. It's really thick so work it in as quickly as you can.
I applied a little bit of my Laura mercier secret brightening powder on top with my damn beauty blender and my under eye was looking covered, highlighted and made me look more awake! (This is always a plus)

Could be quite heavy for everyday use. Also consider even though it's pricey for a concealer, the product is thick and you only need a little amount. I've had my tub for over a year and I still have so much product left!

Make sure to moisture your undereye well beforehand; if you want the product to sit well on your skin.

Hope that helped my dry skinned people :)

on 6/24/2016 9:07:00 AM

So I wasn't sure about this product, I kept playing with it....mixing it with different primers or moisturizers. Tried traditional foundation brushes (the flat synthetic kind), tried it with the beauty blender. It really didn't impress me. Then I tried buffing it with the real techniques brush and OMG, I suddenly got the hype!! I break a q-tip in half and put tiny rice sized amounts around my face, maybe 5 total, then buff it out. It is amazing!! I repeat in problem areas to build it up and the coverage and air brushed finish is very impressive!! I set it with a light dusting of Laura Mercier powder then Urban Decay setting spray and it does not move all day.

When I first received the tiny pot of SSE in the mail, I was disappointed in the size. That was, until I discovered how heavily pigmented it is. I quickly realized that all I need is the tiniest dab to conceal spots and any redness that my foundation may not cover.

While the neutral beige was a nearly perfect match for my skin, I sadly found that the product was difficult to work with. It is extremely cakey, even when used very sparingly, and highlights the dry patches around my nose - patches of dryness I didn't even know existed!

It is also heavily fragranced, but the fragrance seems to disappear shortly after application. It smelled like a generic perfume to me, not bad but not great, either. Lastly, I was very disheartened to see that it had oxidized on me and slid off my nose and chin before the six hour mark!

Although I adore Kevyn Aucoin, I don't believe I will be purchasing the SSE ever again. For my combination, mature skin, it just doesn't seem to work. :(

on 6/19/2016 10:39:00 AM

Background: My skin is a NC-15 in MAC. I'm pretty pale. I wear an N10 in Custom FX Coverdrops. My skin is pretty good, I've just got some pigmented marks from some previously healed acne.

I bought the Skin Enhancer in SX01, the lightest shade. I had heard about all the reviews and the great wonders of it so I said: heck yeah! I got some samples and tried them out as a foundation at first. One pin head amount, you know the yellow pin heads, with some moisturizer. It covered pretty well but was a little cakey. Since most people use it as a concealer anyway I decided to do that.

As a concealer: I do not like this. Its heavy coverage I hear but....it doesn't blend out well for me. When I put it on, yes, it covers up my untextured redness. However, as soon as I blend it out and into my skin I suddenly see the redness again. It just will not blend into my moisturized skin, primed skin, unmoisturized skin, unprimed skin without blending away. I typically either just tap it with a beauty blender or my pinky, since its the weakest finger, so I know I'm not blending too hard.

on 6/17/2016 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer is an amazing full coverage concealer.I normally don't review products but after reading some bad reviews I felt I should rate this stuff.

Firstly, it's a full coverage concealer. Its very thick and a little goes a long way. I don't get how people say it gets in fine lines other than they need to blend it a lil better and set it with a powder. I apply around the eyes after vitamin e oil so it thins it out a bit. Use Bobbi Brown foundation all over and blot it out after my foundation application.

Secondly, I use a decent setting powder. I use Mac for my all over minus my eyes.. Then usr Ben Nye white on my highlight areas. It smooths out my skin so much.. Litterally looms like a doll. I'm 32 so around my eyes I have a few fine lines. I never use the baking method. I normally use a fan brush and lightly apply powder over the direct under eye but apply powder well on my other areas with a basic eyeshadow brush... Nose bridge, for head, cupids bow, chin, and jawline.

I'm getting a bit off track but method is everything with makeup application. KA skin enhancer is the best concealer I've purchased. I'm not some Aucoin groupie or use anything else of his but this is the only concealer I use for me. I'm an MUA and occasionally I need a lighter coverage concealer for clients so I either thin it out with natural stuff like vitamin e oil.. Unless I have someone with oily skin and then I just clean and prime the skin well using a luffa and coconut oil and keihls blue herbal cleanser. I still usually usevKA but go light and thin it out with Bobbi Brown.

All around I don't care around the cost for the coverage. I've used the same pot for almost a year it lasts so long for me.. I used a separate on my clients. I've never had a by complaints for breakouts . the trick to application is blend blend blend... And technique. I hope they never get rid of this.

Only other advise I'd give is don't waste so much money on facial lotions etc. Go natural. Vitamin e oil, vitamin c, vitamin k for dark undereye, hyaluronic acid, coconut oil, vitamin a is retinol. All these expensive products just have basic things in them you can buy individually and you're not putting crap on your face. I wish I would of known Years ago. My face looks amazing. I still get id'd buying alcohol and I've only started about 7 years ago.

on 5/25/2016 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

2nd Update: I've changed the rating from 1 to 2 lippies, because this is not absolutely useless. You can cover things with it ( hyper pigmentation, acne marks), and have this cover-up look skin-like. Also even though this is absolutely NOT a beginners foundation product, you can make it work with the proper steps and upkeep. That said the Sephora description of the product makes SO many claims, I have to give this a bad review. Today I did two coats applied with a concealer brush and blended out carefully with a damp beauty blender on top of a long wearing foundation. I tapped and rolled all over with powder to set the product. I used a silicone primer underneath. 2-3 hours post application this product is already settling into fine lines around my mouth, laugh lines, and under my eyes. I blotted with a blotting paper, fixed things as best as possible and re-powdered. This is hi-maintenance on my combination skin to keep it from moving/melting. I would only recommend this product in general for contouring (because you use it on smooth, drier areas of the face), or to people with drier skin, on whom this foundation might not move as much, possibly mixed into a longer wearing primer product. If you are combination to oily skin, and want this product to have longevity, you will have to set this product with powder THOROUGHLY, prime very well AND use a setting spray like Skindinavia's. If you have very oily skin, please, don't even bother with this. Your oils will un-set the foundation and you will have it moving around like mad. :S

UPDATE: This crap breaks me out. My whole t-zone is congested with clogged pores from 3 days of use. I'm so upset. There are so much better products out there, even at the drugstore. This has 4.1 in rating because of Kevin Acoin groupies or people that don't have acne prone skin that can mix this with oil for example. Now I'll have to use salicylic acid everyday to deal with my bloody clogged pores. Might need a frigging facial too.

EDIT: I wore this today over a matte mineral spf. I look a 100 years old. It looks caked up in places, it kind of faded from my under eyes unatractively, emphasized my fine lines and texture problems. This means that to use this you have to have something emollient underneath or mix it into something emmollient, and exfoliate first, with a physical scrub. You have to set it good too or it will lift unless you have dry skin. I'M SO UPSET I bought this crap. So upset. I can't return it. This absolutely does NOT deserve a 4.1 rating. Buy a sample instead. I wish I had. I have sx11 I'm nc 40-43 if you want to swap.

Review
First things first, this is SUPER thick. It's hard to blend with a brush, and I don't like to use a sponge because it eats the product up. This also smells bad, like a mineral oil based salve of some kind. On me it feels a bit itchy if used all over. I have the same issue with vaseline.

FINISH AND COVERAGE
This on me has a satin finish, that initially looks unnatural when applied all over, specially on textured areas, it looks more natural when it has gotten time to settle. Buffed out it gives light coverage. If applied full on and built up it can achieve full coverage. It highlights skin texture a little and I don't like that. I have large pores. I expected much more of this splurge than I got.

ACNE
This might be causing clogged pores around my nose, cheeks and chin, I'm not sure. I've been using it 3 days now. If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised. It's waxy and has oils in it. I shall update.

APPLICATION
I prefer to tap and roll this in, to use as a concealer. I won't be using this again as foundation.