Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 11/9/2018 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Unbelievable. This product is SO good. I'm 39, and while I like makeup, I've never been a regular wearer of foundation. Why? Because I could never find one that didn't look heavy, cakey, cling to every hair, dry patch. I could never find one that perfected MY skin instead of making it look like I was wearing a mask, I could never find one that I could figure out how to work with. Admittedly, I am not great with makeup, I don't have a lot of tools or patience or desire to learn how to make my makeup look flawless. So most days it's no makeup, and some days it's some eyeliner, maybe some lipstick, and whatever foundation I had on hand, which always ended up looking crappy two hours in. I'd watch YT videos and admire the flawless skin, but I resigned myself to never being a girl with good makeup.

Then I bought this and everything changed. I use this as an all over foundation, not a concealer.

I apply it with a damp beauty blender on freshly washed skin that's been lightly oiled with sea buckthorn seed oil, jojoba, grape seed, baobab, just whatever oil i happen to grab. Using it with an oil makes the finish more dewey and well suited to my skin, which barely produces any oil. In fact, using it with oil changes the entire experience for me and makes it wearable with a natural finish that doesn't look or feel heavy or mask-like. I find it's so thick that it doesn't mix well with a lot of things I did try, (although it does mix well with oils, or moisturizer that are oil-based, which makes sense since it's oil based). I take maybe a grain of rice size and put it on the back of my hand and work with it from there. Blend, blend, blend and that's it. Beautiful face. And no dryness and crinkly eye area a couple hours in, like with every single other foundation I’ve ever used.

If you have dry skin like me, definitely try it over an oil, or oily moisturizer, and try spraying a few times afterwards with a hydrating spray, I use rose water and glycerine. Such a beautiful, healthy finish that isn't cakey or flaky. I much prefer this full coverage product that can be sheered out vs. a lower coverage thing that needs to be built up, it's just easier for me. My skin looks even, perfected, and yes, flawless if I want to take it there. Any redness is canceled, it just takes all sun damage spots, capillaries, uneven tone, dark areas around the eyes, etc, and smooths everything into one even, skin-identical canvas that wears all day long. I've not had it go patchy, look dry, or sink and settle into my wrinkles. Perhaps this is because of the super thick formula, or maybe because I apply over an oil, but either way the effect is beautiful and so un-makeup-like. That, - the superb coverage that can be achieved while still having a natural finish - is the beauty of this product for me. If you want your freckles and marks to show through, cool, and if you prefer a more opaque effect, also cool - it's all do-able. It takes a little experimenting but it's so worth it.

If you're going to use it straight on your face without mixing it or having a fresh layer of primer or moisturizer on your skin, you're gonna get super coverage and best to make sure you have the perfect shade match. Personally, I need to apply it over an oil or mix with sunscreen, or it becomes too heavy for my taste. Once, for fun, I applied it straight on dry skin and it was like smearing concealer all over my face... not a good look for me.

Look, I don't have the best words to describe this, and there's tons of information and tutorials out there to gobble up. Suffice it to say that if you aren't very good at doing makeup, and you've never been able to find a foundation that works, get yourself a sample of this. If you see women out in the world with flawless foundation and you wonder how in the hell are they doing it, go get yourself a sample of this.

I will repurchase when I run out, and I've literally thrown away my other foundations, all of them.

(I'm about the range of NC 20-25 in MAC and I got SSE SX 06 and 05 and 07. I am one of those people who truly has a neutral undertone and can wear pink or yellow based products as long as they are not too pink or yellow. The 06 was too yellow, but the 05 is perfect and the 07 is do-able. FYI - between these 3, the consistencies were different, the 06 was the thickest and most pigmented, offering the best coverage, (and unscented), while the 05 and 07 were scented and creamier with less pigment. I got full size tubs of all three from Sephora and returned the ones I didn’t want, (kept 05). 05 is a true neutral. Camera ready cosmetics has samples for cheap, I suggest getting a few and finding your right shade before buying a full size. Unless you live near NM or Bergdorfs or somewhere with a counter).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product will give you the most intense coverage you can possibly have. Great to use as a concealer.
It feels very silicony, spreads easily and seamlessly blends into the skin.
It isn't the product I personally like. I don't like high coverage and I don't enjoy silicon feel, but I totally recommend it to anyone looking for the extra flawless complexion. The jar is pricey, but it will last a really long time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I bought this in sx11 as a foundation a while ago and at first I didn't think too highly of the product when I used it all over my face in a thin layer so i put it to the side until recently when I used it under the eyes and set it and it literally looks airbrushed. However you have to set it in order to get that look and you need a decent setting powder.

Like everyone says a tub lasts forever and then some. Super pigmented and extremely thick so you'll want to mix it with something else to allow it to properly blend.

The finish and staying power are phenomenal, much better than other products I've used as you don't have to sacrifice creaminess for staying power like with other foundations.
It's so good I'm thinking of buying a color to cream contour with soon.

Go and try a sample asap!

Update: I tried sx16 for cream contouring and it's amazing. I kept talking myself out of it thinking it was going to be the same as my other cream contours but it's not. It blends insanely well and you really appreciate that when your using it for a purpose other than foundation, and it has the perfect amount of pigment-you can actually control the amount and the shade to an extent depending on how much of the product you apply. I can now see what people mean when they say this is so versatile. I really took it for granted when I used this only as a foundation, I feel it works better used in other ways. That being said of course it's a great foundation but like I said in my older review you should mix it if you're using it in a larger area. Small areas tend to be fine without mixing with anything.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My shade matches for reference
Mac NC35-42 (I mix for my perfect shade depending on the time of year)
Face and body C5
Maybelline Superstay 24hr- 220 (fall/winter) 310 (summer)
MUFE- y405

I have this in sx10 and sx11 and mix them to get my perfect shade. A little goes a very long way. You can use this alone, but I find that there a bit more drag that way and it WILL CATCH on to the drier patches in your face. I find it best mixed an eye cream if used under the eye: and I do love to use this as a mixer with foundation when I wanna bump up coverage and slightly correct the tone

on 6/27/2018 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Honestly, I couldn't figure how to use this as a foundation, but as a concealer, this is amazing. I have acne scars that I need to cover up and I use the spot concealing method to cover them up. Using a fine point brush, this works perfect. I only need a grain sized amount on my hand to achieve this: a tiny bit of product on the brush will cover 2-3 spots. Then I take a blending brush to blend out the edges and set with a powder. The coverage lasts all day.

I have been using this and Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage for a while. After trying both, I prefer this product over LM Secret Camouflage because this doesn't look as dry on me. If you have oily skin, you may consider LM Secret Camouflage because this is oil based, and might be a little oily. However, on my super dry skin, this works great and I have had no breakouts so far.

I'm NC20ish and SX06 seems to be a good match for me, but I am going to get a shade or two darker to color correct the acne scars.

If you want to get samples, you can get them at Camera Ready Cosmetics. If using as a concealer, even the sample size should last you a while.

on 6/13/2018 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

best. concealer. ever.

i have never had a concealer which could cover both undereye circles and spots equally well. They normally fall short in either one of the departments. That being said, I have had this product for a few months and have now only begun to master using it properly. watched several videos, read reviews over here, and everything everyone says is valid. it has an extremely thick consistency, it's not the easiest of products to blend and because i bought it online the shade i got (SX03) was a little challenging for me. However I managed to make it work because i have hereditary brown dark circles (I am a EF01 in daylight for the Kevyn Aucoin etherealist foundation) and the shade SX03 is somewhat yellow. it's great for spots as well. I use a purple setting powder and it all works out beautifully, I don't even need foundation.

tip for those who really cannot seem to work with its consistency - try mixing it with some facial oil or moisturiser. the trick is to blend it quickly and to use a VERY tiny amount and build it up from there if necessary. I find the best tool for a flawless application to be the kevyn aucoin duet concealer brush. that's another review for another time. best blending and concealer brush i have ever used.

on 5/17/2018 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I bought this concealer in Vegas and it’s such a weird consistency and it’s very hard to blend out. It’s very thick and honestly I don’t think it’s worth the money, it’s expensive and it doesn’t last too long on the skin. I don’t know why people love it so much.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am super picky about getting my money's worth when it comes to makeup. This is one of the few high-end products that lives up to the hype and is actually worth its hefty price tag. Why, you say? Three things: 1. Pigmentation is insanely rich, so a pot lasts a LONG time- as in years even (if kept sanitary, cool and not shared) 2. It does what it says and performs beautifully 3. It's versatile. As long as you are not extremely sensitive to scent (SSE is noticeably fragranced) this is a worthwhile investment for most skin types. I have very oily skin with a few fine lines and it wears beautifully one when applied properly. I was skeptical at first because I usually would never use a cream/oil based foundation, but similar to the famous RCMA cream, there is so much pigment that you use 1/4 or less of what you would with any other foundation. SSE can be used as a concealer, an overall high-coverage foundation, or mixed with a moisturizer or facial oil for a sheer glow. My favorite way to apply is buffed in with a soft flat-top or duo fibre brush and set with translucent powder. Color selection is outstanding, with very natural, neutral undertones from light to rich shades. Photographs beautifully.

on 2/11/2018 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is an amazing concealer which can also be used as a foundation but due to price I wouldn't purchase again I just think £38 is a lot for a concealer. Although the small pot has a lot of product in it and you only need a little as it really is thick.

Product itself - full coverage concealer you only need the tiniest of amount and really need to blend it well. Very good coverage and creamy consistency. Covers blemishes even pores so well and I have pitted acne scars - even diminishes those!

on 11/15/2017 11:05:00 PM

Well, I've been looking to try this for quite a while. Am happy to share that it didn't disappoint! Purchased the shade in 06X and so far seems a good match for my light/medium, combination skin I think this is pretty forgiving depending on how you blend, mix and sheer it out. Have only had this a week so far, but have tried it (a rice sized grain) with both primer and moisturizer. I mix it on my hand and apply with flat-topped stippling/foundation brush. Any remaining goes on as eyelid primer, and on a few sun spots I've acquired (good times). You can also warm up a pin-sized amount with your fingers and dab under eyes, around nose to conceal redness, etc. It works like a dream to cover, but allows your skin to show through. It's the perfect combination of matte/dewey finish and doesn't settle into fine lines. It looks undetectable when you use a light hand. I love how versatile this is as well--concealer, foundation tinted BB cream-LOVE. The pot is small but should last a long time since you only use a bit of product at a time. Highly recommend for anyone who likes to employ a little artistic license with their foundation.