Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 9/25/2017 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a very very pigmented product, and although I said I will buy it again I will probably never need to, as a tiny amount goes along way. It you need to cover anything, this is the product for you. I used this to cover a black eye when I had photos taken and you could not tell. It is very opaque, so good color match is essential. I dot it on using a liner brush and pat it with my finger until it disappears. Definitely not for people without the patience to work with it.

on 8/25/2017 11:49:00 AM

I wish I hadn't put off buying this for so long... It's so pigmented and blends seamlessly into my skin. It's honestly so good.
The shade SX01 is the only highly pigmented product I've ever used that hasn't looked orange on my skin. I have not used the other shades, but this one is a somewhat desaturated, neutral/cool yellow leaning colour. I'm in love.
I've heard that Kevyn Aucoin base makeup in general is very good at matching the skin tones usually found in people - whereas other brands tend to not pay as close attention to this (looking at you Estee Lauder). I can definitely say this is true of the shade I bought.

The only downside is that - for me - there is quite noticeable fragrance to the product, especially when first applied. But I am quite sensitive to perfumes etc, and the fragrance is quite far down the ingredients list, so this may not be a problem for other people.
If you're going to use this to conceal in places where you tend to get a bit dry, you also need to make sure that you've thoroughly moisturised in the area first, otherwise this will highlight flakiness.

Also, please be aware that this (to me at least) is not a kind of 'slap on and out the door' product. You do have to work with it a little bit, or mix it with something else to make it more easily bendable. If you're willing to put in a bit of effort, the pay off is absolutely worth it though.

Overall would definitely recommend this, and will be re-buying when I run out.
I just wish they'd make it without the fragrance... There's no need for it to be in there!

on 7/15/2017 3:17:00 PM

I grew up in the era before people routinely used sunscreens, so I have a number of dark spots on my face. One, on my cheek, is particularly noticeable: the size of a quarter and quite dark. I've tried most of the highly-rated concealers and they all failed me. Some were not opaque enough, others wore away within hours. Seeing these reviews, I decided to invest in the Sensual Skin Enhancer. Now, after a week, I'm ready to say that this is a game-changer. I experimented with application, and decided that my soft fluffy concealer brush worked best. The trick...barely touch the brush to the product...emphasis on BARELY. An almost microscopic amount works wonders. I apply it after primer, before my foundation. Then, if necessary, I apply a tiny bit more over the foundation and set it with translucent powder. It lasts until I wash it off at night.

on 8/24/2017 5:08:00 PM

Smells like an old lady. It's ok but it's not natural looking. The smell is horrendous. Decent coverage. Will not buy because of the nasty stink

on 7/29/2017 8:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Shade: SX11 matches me perfectly (NC40-42) It got the perfect yellow undertones for my asian skin.
Price: 18 grams for 47$. (Beautybay)

Usage:
I use this as a concealer allover my face and it doesn't crease or fade throughout the day. It doesn't brighten under my eyes but it covers my green/blue veins. It covers my sunspots impeccably. My biggest problems are redness/darkness around my nose-wings, eyes and mouth. I can now say Bye bye problems! I just realized this balm has become one of my holy grails! I now use only this and set my face with a powder. So NO foundation... cause it really helps my entire face to look flawless.

Texture/pigmentation and application method:
The texture is like a really smooth creamy clay. This stuff is HIGH coverage. Pigmentation is out of this world.
I'd compare the pigmentation with my holy grail Makeup store Cover all mix trio. You have to careful with using too much of this. I would say coverage is buildable. if you don't blend or smooth it out with care, it will look cakey and harsh. I like using a brush or my fingers to apply it. The warmth of your fingers helps to blend out the product but I find that a concealer brush works just as well. You only need the tiniest amount and you're good to go.
This little tub will last me a lifetime. (have yet to use it as a allover foundation, will update post once done).

Finish/lasting power:
I would say the finish is natural matte and looks like skin if that makes sense?! Not too dewy and not too matte.
It doesn't look too heavy as long as you use it the right way. Use too much and it will look like a mask.
Doesn't break up or budge throughout the day. If you're dry, I would highly recommend to hydrate before to avoid cakiness.

Overall:
I can't live without this! So happy to have this in my collection. I really feel like I paid a fair price for the quality and performance! This will last me forever and which also makes it so worth the price.

Minus:
Smell is horrible, like old lady, but doesn't smell once on the face. If you're sensitive to smells you won't want this.
For the price I feel like the tub could look a bit fancier, but I guess they focused on the product itself.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I hated this so much at first. It's rather surprising because it's so thick, a bit like the Benefit Erase Paste (that I hate as well). I tried using it as a concealer, but I don't know if it's just me: when my pimples are healing, they're rather dry (peeling off a bit) even if it doesn't show that much, but this emphasizes dryness hugely. I'm very oily and I moisturize often and well, so that's a first.

The color SX05 looked like it would be perfect but it's not a great match, just too ashy and fair.

I decided to give it another go and just dabbed my flat buffer brush (just a bit damp) in it to pack juuust a tiny bit of product and buffed it around my face; it looks a lot better this way. I just pat the brush on areas where I want more coverage. I hate having products lying around that will just go bad and that were expensive for me, so I think I'll stick to it for a moment.

It definitely needs to be set with powder, cause it feels tacky. That's the only reason why I give it 3 over 5: the consistency is too thick and difficult to blend, and I like a more liquid/creamy texture. I don't see in which world it could be used as a concealer? Everyone keeps raving about it, so I'll keep trying with other techniques until I figure this out.

on 6/21/2017 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is the best concealer ever, the value for money is phenomenal, it'll last you a good 1.5 - 2 years if you're only using it under the eyes like me. The shade SX11 is perfect for my very yellow-toned, NC-42/44 skin. I would definitely repurchase again. As a bonus, it lasts forever on my extremely oily undeye area.

on 6/11/2017 3:14:00 PM

My HG due to it's wear, natural finish and versatility. I am around NC20 with strong yellow tones so I use 04. if you are leaning more neutral try 05.

This can be a full coverage foundation or a tinted moisturizer. I mix it with my moisturizers and it's so small that it's very easy to travel with. Do not be put off by the small size, you need very little for full coverage. I have had mine for two years now and have barely made a dent. It takes time to experiment on application methods and if you are lazy and don't prep your skin consider finding something else.

If you have a sensitivity to mineral oil beware as well. Personally, my skin loves it and so this product wears wonderfully on my normal leaning combo skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Could NOT get this to work with my skin. It should wouldn't blend or stick no matter what I tried. This product is actually quite polarizing due to the formula, so just keep that in mind. I recommend getting a sample! I gave it 2 lippies instead of just one because the color range is so unique and beautiful. Plenty of true olive, yellow, and muted shades that you can't really find anywhere else (where brands tend to rely more on contrived theoretical shades than actual skin tones). Aucoin knew a thing or two about skin color, that's for sure.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This stuff really is magical, and I wish I'd listened to the hype years ago. It covers like a dream, buffs out nicely, has a great finish, and the tiny jar seems like it'll last for a very long time. I mainly use this to cover acne marks, redness in my cheeks, and other small areas of discoloration, then I buff it out and go over it with a more natural-looking foundation. It looks very good on the skin and doesn't clog my pores. Believe the hype on this product, because it is as good as everyone says.