Philosophy ON A CLEAR DAY blemish gel [DISCONTINUED]

Philosophy ON A CLEAR DAY blemish gel [DISCONTINUED]

3.4

on 7/30/2010 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Warm

I know that they discontinued this product but this review may help with those who may purchase other salicylic acid treatments for blemishes. This product comes in a 2% concentration. Although, it was nice having a clear application gel so that when you went to bed at night with your significant other, they don't have to look at you with a polka dotted face which may happen with other acne spot treatment formulations. Plus, living in So Cal I can always picture the day of the "big one" hitting and trying to escape tumbling structures with my polka dotted face in the middle of the night. Although this product does eventually help decrease your blemishes it causes a lot of irritation and redness in the process and it's not the fast acting. It takes a couple of applications to generally minimize your blemish size and initially it will look worse before it looks better. Generally a blemish takes 2 full days to improve. Plus, no matter how far you stay away from the eyes and nose eventually the fumes from this product does migrate there and cause tearing.

Those with sensitive skin will most likely not tolerate this product.

So, if you think you may be preserving your bedtime recreation with your love one since you would appear more attractive with a clear acne treatment I would recommend going with the Clean n Clear Persagel instead. No redness, quicker acting, no tearing with application and best of all No Spots!!!!

on 1/18/2009 8:05:00 PM

This product does nothing. I stopped using the acne kit because it was making my skin worse and not improving it even after three months. I tried using this on it's own without the rest of the kit as a spot treatment. It still doesn't work. The salicylic acid in this product is supposed to prevent pimples but will not treat them. However I tried putting this on to prevent acne but it doesn't work because the next day I will actually wake up with new pimples.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing. Clears my acne up and even helped w/my oily skin. Keep in mind, if you have dry skin or just slightly oily skin, it might burn. Because my skin is so oily and heals quickly, it just worked wonders. WEAR SUNSCREEN when using.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

this is my HG for pimple relief! i love love love this product! i first got it with the acne set and this was my favorite alongside the purity made simple cleanser. i used drugstore brand such as clean n clear before and it never really worked for me. this one works wonders. when i start to feel as if i'm about to break out (esp. when it is almost that time of the month) i just dap a little bit of this on the affected area and the next day the pain and redness goes away. it literally nips the zit out in the bud. the only downside to this is the price. $30 usd for 1oz! ouch! but it is soo awesome that is it worth every penny. btw this stuff can be drying so do not put too much on and also u need to use sunscreen while using this product as it can be prone to burning.

on 3/4/2008 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I thought this product was pretty good the 1st time I used it and then the 2nd application came and yikes, was that a mistake! My blemishes not only didn't clear up but the gel literally burned my face. There are large red splotches on my face where the skin is raw and peeling. I am taking this one back now! No thanks, Philosophy...

This stuff burns like hell. It dries quickly, so its hard to spread. The fumes burn your eyes. However, despite all this, I will definitely buy this again. Its seriously strong stuff, so use with caution (I have tough skin, mind you), but it does clean out your pores, leaving them looking smaller. You can apply makeup over it without flaking or balling up, but you should wait a few minutes if you can before doing so. It smells pleasant, but its way too expensive. It works though, and that's enough for me to put up with its bad points.

on 12/29/2007 9:58:00 AM

While this has a really handy dropper bottle and didn't make my monthly breakouts worse, it also is too expensive for what it is, in my opinion. I wasn't just bowled over by this stuff and will go back to Clean and Clear Advantage gel (which does just as good a job for far less $) when I've used this up.

on 12/9/2007 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This serum works wonders on my acne and blackheads. I don't find it too drying on my skin, and the burning sensation does not bother me. I use this 2x a day, every day, and I have never had any adverse reactions to it.

on 12/8/2007 8:08:00 PM

This is the worst blenish gel I have ever used. I use a gel all the time during my period. I have found Murad blemish gel 100 times better than this. It burns your skin also.

I was hoping for so much more from a trusted brand. I fear this may have worsened some of my breakouts. It is extremely drying and has at least once brought up a patch of eczema on my face. After letting it sit on the shelf for awhile I decided to give it another chance and after having it for less than a year, I think it may have lost potency AND the dropper became stuck and broke away from the cap leaving a gooey black mess all over my fingers. Like a dummy, I repackaged the rest of it and I will probably still give it another try. I am not quick to abandon hope! --I bought this in a set for acne and I was not impressed with any of the products in that kit. Proactiv worked better.