Elizabeth Arden Flawless Start Instant Perfecting Primer

Elizabeth Arden Flawless Start Instant Perfecting Primer

I've used other primers and absolutely nothing compares to this. I used to think primer was an unnecessary product (why should I spend more money on a separate product to make the first one work okay?!) until I tried this.

It doubles my wear time, and prevents any and all products from oxidising on me. Most foundations oxidise on me (seriously, about 80% of the ones I've tried) and while other primers slowed it down, this prevented it entirely while lasting me around ten hours. It also prevents most foundations from sinking into my enlarged pores, except sometimes Maybelline liquids... but lets face it, those always will haha.

I have dehydrated/combo skin and this hides a lot of flakes, but definitely not all. That's okay though.

This does a fantastic job of maintaining whatever finish I want. If I use mattifying powder without primer, I will need to blot in a little under two hours. If I use it with this, then I'm good for five. If I want a natural finish, I will be shiny within the hour. If I use this, then I'm good for four and even then I'm just glowy and not oily.

I've used my tube 5+ times a week for over a year and I'm only now reaching the end of it. If I cut it open I'm sure I'll have at least another month or two left though.

Only downside I can think of is that the sample sachets I first got seemed to be much better than what I ended up getting in the full size tube - but seriously, this is still so good that I am alllll good with that. There's a chance that i just wasn't used to having good wear at the time so I'm remembering it too fondly. Also I've definitely noticed that as my tube gets older, it doesn't spread as well. I'm now using double what I had to back when it was brand new. Neither of these things are bad enough to stop me calling this an HG.

Don't waste your money buying cheaper primers to "test" them because they are utterly mediocre compared to this. I know it can be scary to drop so much money on an invisible product you haven't tried before, but if you really do want to signficantly extend your wear time, then get this.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been desperately trying to finish the primers in my collection so I could justify purchasing yet another one but my need for this one took over and I splurged on it anyway. This primer is like no other I've tried before. And I do have primers that are holy grail status for me (Guerlain, YSL, Hourglass...) so why did I absolutely "have to have" this one too? It feels straight up like velvet on the skin. It hides my pores. It gives my skin a blurred Instagram look before I put foundation on. And my oh my does the EA Ceramide foundation I wear look even more beautiful over top of this! When I first swatched this primer in store I took one look at the thick mousse-like consistency in a beige tone and thought "WTF?" But, I spread it out on my hand anyway and it disappeared. My hand looked younger and felt sublime. From that moment I knew I had to get it but my conscience wouldn't let me with so many other primers in my stash. I honestly waited as long as I could (okay, it was only about 3 months) and then I succumbed to my greed and bought it. What I experienced on my hand was even more special on my face. The key to this primer is to use very little because it is super thick and concentrated and you don't want any of it building up on the skin. I have a hard time remembering this because it looks like it's not going to spread or blend but it does, and it does a beautiful job at that. I alway ran into issues where my foundation would wear off of my nose and chin but since using this my makeup remains flawless until I take it off. This primer is #1 in my collection.