Too Faced La Matte Lipstick - Hey Gurrl

Too Faced La Matte Lipstick - Hey Gurrl

1 review

on 6/13/2017 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I’d already bought, and loved, “Pitch Perfect” from this line, so I knew I liked the formula.
The shade description “matte deep rose” sucked me right in.
I do not wear nude lipstick, EVER, unbelievable as that may seem; the closest I’ll come is a shade that’s essentially an intensified version of my natural lip color.
“Hey Gurrl” fits this description perfectly.
It goes on smoothly, though a bit of non-greasy balm underneath (I like 100% Pure's Lip Butter for this purpose) helps with application and comfort.
I find that “Hey Gurrl” wears respectably, though hardly indelibly, for hours, even with a drop of gloss (Jane Iredale “Candied Rose” Pure Gloss coordinates beautifully) on top. It does transfer a bit, but that’s just one of the tradeoffs you make for comfortable wear in a well-pigmented lipstick.
In summary, I love the brand (one of the few Estee Lauder brands that’s still cruelty-free), like the formula (smooth, well-pigmented, comfortable, long-lasting), and love the color (medium-to-deep pinkish/reddish muted rose that is ridiculously flattering to my NW15 complexion). The packaging is nice, too, though not fancy - it's a sturdy matte black metal twist-up tube, embossed with the brand's name.
The only thing I’d change is the price, which is $22 USD.
If you’d like a less expensive also cruelty-free dupe, consider Silk Naturals’ velvet Matte Lipstick in “Rose;” it’s a bit lighter and more pink, but fairly similar in both color and texture.
Of the two, I think I prefer “Hey Gurrl,” and I’ll buy it again if/when I run out.