Maybelline New York The City Mini Eyeshadow Palette

Maybelline New York The City Mini Eyeshadow Palette

I've always been curious about these palettes since they seem to get universally good reviews by Youtube and the blogosphere. Great reviews? No, but good. I've never bought one since I use shimmer on my eyes sparingly and prefer an all matte palette. Well, low and behold, they now have them. I bought "Skyscape Dusk" which is pinky/lavender/mauve palette. Not *a lot* of variation between colors, but I did like the overall shade and of course that it was matte.

As to application? Eh. Disappointing. First off, quite dusty imo. On the eyes, after sweeping a color on, I felt like saying, "did I just do....anything?" It requires A LOT of build up, and even then the colors seemed drab and muddy. I've used it twice now. I like to give a palette at least 3 wears before I give up.

I wonder if there's a lot of variation in quality between these palettes. I get the feeling that some of them have better quality shadow pans. I'd pass on Skyscape Dusk if I were you.

on 7/9/2018 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

I have the City Mini x Shayla and I love that little palette. There are not that many palettes I would happily repurchase if I lost them, but this is one of them. Its nicely pigmented, blendable, and long-wearing on top of my Milani eye shadow base. The warm brown color is very buildable so that if I apply it with a fluffy brush in the crease and then with a flat brush in the outer V and lashline, the shadow looks a lot more intense where I apply it with the flat brush. The beige shade is beautiful and can be applied sheer or more opaque as well, and all the colors show up on my NC 42 skintone. I can get a daytime eye with the light beige, warm brown and the gold inner corner highlight; I can also get a purple smoky eye, a red-brown and gold evening look, a copper eye, a beautiful copper and gold halo eye, a neutral eye with a pop of purple in the lower lashline, its quite versatile.

Yes, I love the CM x Shayle palette. The only con is that the shadows are so creamy and soft, I wouldn't travel with them for fear of them crumbling right off. I'm probably going to try the all matte city mini palette next.

When these came out, I swatches one and left the store with 3 different palettes! The formula of these shadows are very buttery and they blend well. The pigmentation was so much better than I expectedand the shimmers/metallics are very eye catching and i live the compact size...BUT I cannot to a whole eye look with these palettes because there is either no mattes our just 1 matte and the finish of these shadows would be to overwhelming put all together but I have found they play nicely with other shadows so I can use one if these gorgeous blinding shades with shadows from a different palette which I often do. And the highlighting shade under my brow bone usually comes from one of these.

on 6/11/2018 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is for the Matte About Town palette that is, at the moment, apparently exclusive to Walgreen's. I was stoked to get this, and disappointed in its performance. It *looks* like it should be a wonderful set of neutral shadows, and the pigmentation is pretty darn good, with a fair bit of fallout and dusting, but the colors on don't really match what you see in the pan. They are much warmer on than they look like they would be, and the 2 lid shades are either too light or too dark, and the same is true for the 2 crease shades. the "liner" shade looks like it should be a nice slightly plummy brown (at least to my eye) but it goes on oddly warm. It's nicely pigmented, but its about the only shade that's really a keeper in the whole palette. I'm sufficiently disappointed that I might actually return this - For $10, Maybelline, you can and should do better than this. I won't throw in the towel on all of them yet, but was mightily disappointed in this one.

on 6/9/2018 2:33:00 PM

I tried this line in Rooftop Bronzes.

Good:
+Pigmentation is rich, good color payoff
+Texture is smooth and applies/blends well

Okay:
+Size: if you want something tiny for travel this is great. It is quite small and thus the pans (quantity) are small, and it can easily get a bit messy.
+Price and packaging

Eh:
-Colors included...
Let me explain, I’m all about golds and bronzes. My eyeshadow bread and butter for my green eyes. The swatches of this look pretty and perfect online but in reality they look different on. The shimmers are SO shimmery (and I never go matte) that they are a bit much for daytime. Borderline Vegas stuff. The bronze-est pans are the best and most wearable colors, but the others are more filler than killer. Either too similar, or not quite right to mix with the others, or just too glittery.

To each their own and some may love this. It just was a bit too Midas touch rather than glint of sunshine for my taste.

Skin: Other, Olive, Cool

I purchased the Rooftop Bronzes and im not a fan. Eyeshadows look a bit too warm based for me. Every time i wear this palette my make up doesn’t look right. I would rather have put more money and get a better palette. BUT not bad for drugstore quality, just not what i am use to.

on 2/9/2018 9:35:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Don't love it, but it is a good size for traveling if you're tight on space. The "highlight" or neutral eye shadow shade is very chalky and does not go on smoothly.

on 12/13/2017 1:13:00 PM

These eyeshadows are gorgeous! I have tested several of the palettes, but purchased rooftop bronzes as i love warm browns. The eyeshadows were velvety, pigmented, and had no fallout. There is a gorgeous shimmery soft gold ivory, a pretty shimmery white gold a pigmented satin warm brown/bronze, a deeper satin brown, and a deeper satin taupe brown. If i had a complaint it would be that there aren't any matte shadows. In the middle there is a glittery soft copper or beige that sort of reminds me of mac all that glitters with some added oomph! Beginners beware: this is a super pigmented palette!

on 11/19/2017 2:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I enjoy using these pallette in this City Mini Collection they have a better quality pigmentation in comparison to the Nudes line.The packaging is just a simple transparent package nothing fancy but the shadows blend well,easy to build up give a moderate amount of kick back, and will give a good 8 hrs for staying power over all a good drugstore line from maybelline.

on 11/18/2017 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

These are great little palettes. So easy to throw in a purse. Sturdy plastic case. I have bought only three so far. Graffiti Pop, Chill Brunch and Downtown Sunrise. Chill Brunch is my favorite of the three. Taupe shades with a touch of pink and a purple shade I can use as liner! I already ditched Maybelline's Nudes palettes in favor of them. These have more pigment. Each palette have at least one shade of glitter, and easy to avoid if you don't like glitter. They stay on my lids pretty well with primer, but fades fast without. Downtown Sunrise is my second favorite with that orange shade. I don't usually do orange/red shades, but this one is like a clear orange if that makes sense. Not too warm or reddish. And that right upper corner shade is beautiful. A rose gold? Not sure but it is gorgeous! Graffiti Pop has that teal and dark purple colors that I love, too, cause I needed some color in my collection.