Lancôme Monsieur Big Volume Mascara

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Lancôme Monsieur Big Volume Mascara
Monsieur Big Volume MascaraMonsieur Big Volume MascaraMonsieur Big Volume Mascara

2.9

Aqua / Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Copernicia Cerifera Cera / Carnauba Wax, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Cera Alba / Beeswax, Synthetic Beeswax, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polybutene, Cetyl Alcohol, Steareth-20, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Steareth-2, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Tribehenin, Acacia Senegal Gum, Glyceryl Behenate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Silica, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Disodium EDTA, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrasodium Edta, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Bht, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides.

on 8/17/2018 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Clumps-ville on my lashes. Don't understand the hype. Formula doesn't work for me, clumps. Brush didn't really separate my lashes, and left me looking like spider legs. Good black pigmentation. Didn't flake. Didn't irrate my sensitive eye ( contact lenses). Always had to use my lash comb with every application. Used for 2 months for I really tried to like it.

on 6/16/2018 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

My HG mascara; on my third tube! I love dramatic lashes, long and thick, but not clumped. I thought Lancôme Hypnose Doll or Grandiose were the best until I tried Monsieur Big. Without a primer, I get full, long lashes; with Lancome primer, I just about get the same appearance as when I had lash extensions (been using generic Latisse for years). My lashes are stick straight so an eyelash curler is a must - they stay in place with this mascara, no flaking or smudging. Can’t wait for some additional colors to be added.

I've been through two tubes of this mascara, and I have loved it. It's just dry enough that it doesn't transfer when I'm putting it on. It gives great volume, it's good and dark, and it lasts all day but it's still easy to wash off. It hasn't flaked, but occasionally when it's hot it seems to wear off at the ends of my lashes at the end of the day. Still, one of my favorites though.

on 1/7/2018 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

$25.00 for the full size at Sephora, $12.00 for the mini. An Allure Best of 2017 Beauty Awards winner

I got 2 sample sizes of Monsieur Big in December and I have been using it a lot. I don't know why I didn't care for it at first when I bought the full size one time, maybe it was old, maybe they made some slight changes, but I am really liking it and I don't have a single bad thing to say about it except that the wand is a bit too fat for my bottom lashes, but most are. It will work on my bottom lashes, but I like a tiny wand for mine and I want them perfectly separated. It lengthens, holds curl, adds volume, separates the lashes, no smearing, lasts all day, no flaking & has no horrible scent like Hypnose. Give it a couple of minutes to dry, it gives you big lashes so clearly it will take a bit longer to dry.

I have always liked most of Lancome's mascaras. I am never without a tube of Definicils, love it, definite holy grail that I've used for many years. I do detest Lancome's Hypnose due to the vile chemical scent that lingers forever.

Since Sephora carries the mini Monsieur Big for $12.00, I would rather purchase 2 of those than one full size for $25.00. Minis I usually use up before they begin to get dried out or gloppy.

Description from Lancome's website:

Meet Monsieur Big. Forget the others.
A LOOK OF UP TO 12X MORE VOLUME:
The volumizing mascara’s brush provides big impact at first stroke, for thicker looking eyelashes like never before. BIG SOFT BRUSH: Monsieur Big Mascara’s bristles are made of soft fibers which hug your lashes with beautiful softness and ensure a smooth application, while separating and lifting the look of lashes.
NO CLUMPS, NO SMUDGES, NO TOUCH UPS: The formula easily glides on lashes. Its dark pigments create ultra black intensity..

• Big Volume: a look of up to 12x more volume than bare lashes
• No flakes, no smudges: smudge resistant mascara with up to 24-hour wear
• Intense color: ultra black
• Easy, soft application
• Tested under ophthalmological control
• Suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers

INGREDIENTS:
Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Copernicia Cerifera Cera / Carnauba Wax, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Cera Alba / Beeswax, Synthetic Beeswax, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polybutene, Cetyl Alcohol, Steareth-20, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Steareth-2,C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Tribehenin, Acacia Senegal Gum, Glyceryl Behenate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Silica, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Disodium Edta, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrasodium Edta, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Bht, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, [+/- May Contain, Ci 75470 / Carmine, Ci 77007 / Ultramarines,Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 / Iron Oxides].

on 10/19/2017 3:44:00 PM

Disliked it a lot. Got it on sale for 15 euro and even that was to much. Its gunky and gummy textured, practically impossible to remove. Worst of all it doesnt look anything special. It doesnt harden so thats a good thing..

on 10/9/2017 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have used Lancôme mascara for 35 years and have always loved it. I was told by sales person that I would REALLY love this new one. Within two weeks, my eyeballs looked like they were on fire, and a third of my eyelashes fell out. Unfortunately I tossed the receipt and therefore can't even return it. What the heck, Lancôme?!

on 9/18/2017 11:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This mascara builds more dramatic volume than Lancome Definicils, but it can clump on the second coat.

Name:

“Monsieur” is French for “Mister, but then Lancome switched from French to English for “big,” perhaps because the French translation is “gros,” which sounds like “gross” to Americans. Better to have a Franglais name than a gross-sounding mascara. Or perhaps someone at Lancome is a fan of the Sex & the City series and this is their homage to “Mr. Big." Even though the name didn't grab me, I was impressed that this mascara delivers on the promise of bold, black, thick lashes without flaking or smudging.

Brush:

The brush is bushy and more like a squirrel’s tail than the newer rubber or plastic brushes that have become so common. This brush is more traditional but has plenty of bristles to separate and coat lashes evenly. I still prefer the wand of Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes mascara but this brush is great, too. It does not have the weird gap in the middle that “hourglass” brushes have, such as Too Faced Better Than Sex or Burberry Cat Lashes.

Formula:

This mascara is on the wet side; Lancome calls it “creamy.” I like the texture. I haven’t had any trouble with it smearing and it dries fast enough for me. It doesn’t make my lashes feel stiff or heavy. In fact, it’s flexible enough that I can build another coat after the first one sets, a trait that’s a huge selling point for me. I’ve even been able to get close to the roots without making a mess. Monsieur Big’s “wavy fibers” work better than the bristles of Dior Show’s brush for digging into that lashline.

Unfortunately the more you build, the more likely it is to clump. I don’t mind combing through a few clumps when the tradeoff is amazing volume but for some people this is a deal-breaker. You can wipe excess off the brush to prevent clumping. Or apply without wiping it down but use a lash comb; Tweezerman makes a great one. For a cheaper option, save the wand from an old mascara you’re throwing away and clean it thoroughly. The dry brush will separate clumps, too.

Monsieur Big is not waterproof but on most days I don’t need it to be.

I use Cinema Secrets Break It Down makeup remover on a cotton round to remove my eye makeup, but I’ve been able to wash this off with my usual foaming face cleanser from Paula’s Choice and warm water.

Performance:

With some mascaras I have to use lash primer as a base because I don’t get enough volume from the mascara alone. However, Monsieur Big lives up to its Franglais name. I don’t have to apply lash primer first. I do curl my lashes first but there is no other prep. The mascara gives me plenty of volume and length. It even holds a curl pretty well. I’ve had no smudging, flaking, or smearing. Monsieur Big still looks good at the end of a long day at work.

To use it on the bottom lashline, I blot the tip of the brush on a Kleenex and use the tip to gently catch those short lashes. I let the mascara dry before finishing with concealer and powder. I haven’t noticed any smudging under my eyes. I’ve been impressed with this mascara. It’s also blacker and thicker than MAC Bold and Bad Lash.

Travel Size:

Sephora and Ulta offer a $12 deluxe size. I highly recommend buying this before spending double that amount on the large tube. The brush is the same size and the formula is the same. You are just getting less product with the travel tube. This mascara doesn’t irritate my eyes but if you have sensitive eyes, it’s a good idea to start with the smaller tube and see how it goes. If you decide you love it, you can always buy the $25 standard tube next time.

Summary:

I’d repurchase the $12 deluxe travel size of Monsieur Big. It seems like a good value for the results I get. I’m unlikely to continually buy the $25 large tube of Monsieur Big because I replace my mascara every three months and that would become expensive.

I really like this mascara but if you hate fighting clumps, Definicils might be better for you.

Ingredients:

on 9/2/2017 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I sadly trusted Sephora reviews and didn't check on makeup alley, and bought this. It's okay on volume but nothing special. But it really did smudge on me, so I'm glad I only got a sample size.

on 8/25/2017 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

*Very* difficult to remove, doesn't volumize, lengthen, or do much of anything, the packaging looks like cheap drugstore stuff and the name is cheesy.
Used it for a week, tossed it.

Lancome has so many great mascara formulas, I have no idea why this one was even produced but it seems like a huge departure from their traditional icons.

Big bold false lash look. Love!!