Lancôme Monsieur Big Volume Mascara

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Lancôme Monsieur Big Volume Mascara
Monsieur Big Volume MascaraMonsieur Big Volume MascaraMonsieur Big Volume Mascara

3.6

Aqua / Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Copernicia Cerifera Cera / Carnauba Wax, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Cera Alba / Beeswax, Synthetic Beeswax, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polybutene, Cetyl Alcohol, Steareth-20, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Steareth-2, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Tribehenin, Acacia Senegal Gum, Glyceryl Behenate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Silica, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Disodium EDTA, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrasodium Edta, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Bht, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is not getting a lot of love from me. This went on clumpy and wet and stuck my lashes together. I tried multiple coats to build the volume but this just did not deliver. And it destroyed my curl I laboriously put into my lashes. Also tried it with the Cils booster and that helped but the mascara was still clumpy and did not wear well through the day. I get way better results from L'Oreal voluminous waterproof.

on 2/12/2018 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I love this. It’s so volumizing and lengthening. I always prime lashes first with Lancôme cills booster xl. Gives a false eyelashes effect.

on 10/25/2017 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

To preface this review, I love big lashes. Clumpy, black, ott; I'm all about that look. I also don't expect one mascara to do the job, I always layer two. I was previously using Chanel Le Volume wp with UD Troublemaker on top, and got this to replace the Chanel. It's not terrible. It does a great job of separating the lashes and is a good inky black color. I haven't had any issues so far with wear (flaking, smudging). I could never wear this on its own, however. It gives a very natural look which I am not interested in. I also suspect it irritates my eyes a bit before it dries down, but after a few minutes that goes away.

I will update this review as my tube dries out with age.

on 9/18/2017 11:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This mascara builds more dramatic volume than Lancome Definicils, but it can clump on the second coat.

Name:

“Monsieur” is French for “Mister, but then Lancome switched from French to English for “big,” perhaps because the French translation is “gros,” which sounds like “gross” to Americans. Better to have a Franglais name than a gross-sounding mascara. Or perhaps someone at Lancome is a fan of the Sex & the City series and this is their homage to “Mr. Big." Even though the name didn't grab me, I was impressed that this mascara delivers on the promise of bold, black, thick lashes without flaking or smudging.

Brush:

The brush is bushy and more like a squirrel’s tail than the newer rubber or plastic brushes that have become so common. This brush is more traditional but has plenty of bristles to separate and coat lashes evenly. I still prefer the wand of Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes mascara but this brush is great, too. It does not have the weird gap in the middle that “hourglass” brushes have, such as Too Faced Better Than Sex or Burberry Cat Lashes.

Formula:

This mascara is on the wet side; Lancome calls it “creamy.” I like the texture. I haven’t had any trouble with it smearing and it dries fast enough for me. It doesn’t make my lashes feel stiff or heavy. In fact, it’s flexible enough that I can build another coat after the first one sets, a trait that’s a huge selling point for me. I’ve even been able to get close to the roots without making a mess. Monsieur Big’s “wavy fibers” work better than the bristles of Dior Show’s brush for digging into that lashline.

Unfortunately the more you build, the more likely it is to clump. I don’t mind combing through a few clumps when the tradeoff is amazing volume but for some people this is a deal-breaker. You can wipe excess off the brush to prevent clumping. Or apply without wiping it down but use a lash comb; Tweezerman makes a great one. For a cheaper option, save the wand from an old mascara you’re throwing away and clean it thoroughly. The dry brush will separate clumps, too.

Monsieur Big is not waterproof but on most days I don’t need it to be.

I use Cinema Secrets Break It Down makeup remover on a cotton round to remove my eye makeup, but I’ve been able to wash this off with my usual foaming face cleanser from Paula’s Choice and warm water.

Performance:

With some mascaras I have to use lash primer as a base because I don’t get enough volume from the mascara alone. However, Monsieur Big lives up to its Franglais name. I don’t have to apply lash primer first. I do curl my lashes first but there is no other prep. The mascara gives me plenty of volume and length. It even holds a curl pretty well. I’ve had no smudging, flaking, or smearing. Monsieur Big still looks good at the end of a long day at work.

To use it on the bottom lashline, I blot the tip of the brush on a Kleenex and use the tip to gently catch those short lashes. I let the mascara dry before finishing with concealer and powder. I haven’t noticed any smudging under my eyes. I’ve been impressed with this mascara. It’s also blacker and thicker than MAC Bold and Bad Lash.

Travel Size:

Sephora and Ulta offer a $12 deluxe size. I highly recommend buying this before spending double that amount on the large tube. The brush is the same size and the formula is the same. You are just getting less product with the travel tube. This mascara doesn’t irritate my eyes but if you have sensitive eyes, it’s a good idea to start with the smaller tube and see how it goes. If you decide you love it, you can always buy the $25 standard tube next time.

Summary:

I’d repurchase the $12 deluxe travel size of Monsieur Big. It seems like a good value for the results I get. I’m unlikely to continually buy the $25 large tube of Monsieur Big because I replace my mascara every three months and that would become expensive.

I really like this mascara but if you hate fighting clumps, Definicils might be better for you.

Ingredients:

on 7/10/2017 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Average mascara - no 'big' deal. Flakes and smudges. Irritates my eyes.