Lancôme Monsieur Big Volume Mascara

Lancôme Monsieur Big Volume Mascara
Monsieur Big Volume MascaraMonsieur Big Volume MascaraMonsieur Big Volume Mascara

3.2

Aqua / Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Copernicia Cerifera Cera / Carnauba Wax, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Cera Alba / Beeswax, Synthetic Beeswax, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polybutene, Cetyl Alcohol, Steareth-20, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Steareth-2, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Tribehenin, Acacia Senegal Gum, Glyceryl Behenate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Silica, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Disodium EDTA, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrasodium Edta, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Bht, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides.

on 9/18/2017 11:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This mascara builds more dramatic volume than Lancome Definicils, but it can clump on the second coat.

Name:

“Monsieur” is French for “Mister, but then Lancome switched from French to English for “big,” perhaps because the French translation is “gros,” which sounds like “gross” to Americans. Better to have a Franglais name than a gross-sounding mascara. Or perhaps someone at Lancome is a fan of the Sex & the City series and this is their homage to “Mr. Big." Even though the name didn't grab me, I was impressed that this mascara delivers on the promise of bold, black, thick lashes without flaking or smudging.

Brush:

The brush is bushy and more like a squirrel’s tail than the newer rubber or plastic brushes that have become so common. This brush is more traditional but has plenty of bristles to separate and coat lashes evenly. I still prefer the wand of Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes mascara but this brush is great, too. It does not have the weird gap in the middle that “hourglass” brushes have, such as Too Faced Better Than Sex or Burberry Cat Lashes.

Formula:

This mascara is on the wet side; Lancome calls it “creamy.” I like the texture. I haven’t had any trouble with it smearing and it dries fast enough for me. It doesn’t make my lashes feel stiff or heavy. In fact, it’s flexible enough that I can build another coat after the first one sets, a trait that’s a huge selling point for me. I’ve even been able to get close to the roots without making a mess. Monsieur Big’s “wavy fibers” work better than the bristles of Dior Show’s brush for digging into that lashline.

Unfortunately the more you build, the more likely it is to clump. I don’t mind combing through a few clumps when the tradeoff is amazing volume but for some people this is a deal-breaker. You can wipe excess off the brush to prevent clumping. Or apply without wiping it down but use a lash comb; Tweezerman makes a great one. For a cheaper option, save the wand from an old mascara you’re throwing away and clean it thoroughly. The dry brush will separate clumps, too.

Monsieur Big is not waterproof but on most days I don’t need it to be.

I use Cinema Secrets Break It Down makeup remover on a cotton round to remove my eye makeup, but I’ve been able to wash this off with my usual foaming face cleanser from Paula’s Choice and warm water.

Performance:

With some mascaras I have to use lash primer as a base because I don’t get enough volume from the mascara alone. However, Monsieur Big lives up to its Franglais name. I don’t have to apply lash primer first. I do curl my lashes first but there is no other prep. The mascara gives me plenty of volume and length. It even holds a curl pretty well. I’ve had no smudging, flaking, or smearing. Monsieur Big still looks good at the end of a long day at work.

To use it on the bottom lashline, I blot the tip of the brush on a Kleenex and use the tip to gently catch those short lashes. I let the mascara dry before finishing with concealer and powder. I haven’t noticed any smudging under my eyes. I’ve been impressed with this mascara. It’s also blacker and thicker than MAC Bold and Bad Lash.

Travel Size:

Sephora and Ulta offer a $12 deluxe size. I highly recommend buying this before spending double that amount on the large tube. The brush is the same size and the formula is the same. You are just getting less product with the travel tube. This mascara doesn’t irritate my eyes but if you have sensitive eyes, it’s a good idea to start with the smaller tube and see how it goes. If you decide you love it, you can always buy the $25 standard tube next time.

Summary:

I’d repurchase the $12 deluxe travel size of Monsieur Big. It seems like a good value for the results I get. I’m unlikely to continually buy the $25 large tube of Monsieur Big because I replace my mascara every three months and that would become expensive.

I really like this mascara but if you hate fighting clumps, Definicils might be better for you.

Ingredients:

on 1/22/2018 7:56:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Monsieur Big??? More like Sir-Clumps-Alot. This did nothing to lengthen my lashes at all. It gave volume in that it clumped so badly that my eyelashes looked like one big, chubby eyelash, more like a caterpillar actually. It got flaky after a few hours and the flakes got in my tender eyes and turned them red and teary. Those of you who got it to work, God Bless. Won't be switching from my HG L'Oreal Telescopic for this; don't know why I keep trying, "if it works don't fix it" just won't sink into my makeup junkie brain.

I can't figure out the low reviews this mascara is getting. For me it goes on easily with one coat, no clumping and no need for a second coat. I've not experienced transfer or flaking. This does not irritate my eyes and I have MANY allergies and am especially sensitive to mascara. When I wear this my friends at first glance think I have false lashes on. With a light hand and just the slightest bit of effort this has a great application and a wonderful effect, absolutely my favorite mascara I've ever owned, it does wonders for my eyelashes!

on 6/11/2017 10:25:00 PM

This mascara really made my lashes full and extra long to where I was thinking this is the best, omg look at the length however throughout the day, I noticed my lashes felt more and more brittle with a lot of flakes and chunks of mascara kept falling onto my face. The formula is wet upon application and slowly dries for buildable application. I will not purchase again, my lashes were dry and damaged. I'm going to focus on getting my lashes back to normal-- geez one application and it was so damaging. Thumbs down. 👎🏼

on 9/28/2017 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was standing in an endless line at Ulta, and saw this Lancôme mascara, I asked the girl behind me if she had tried it, and she had, and loved it. Hmmm she was wearing not a stitch of makeup on that day. I probably asked the wrong person, but, I bought it. This is the crappiest HE mascara I have ever used. The brush is weird, deposits dots upper and lower (I don't mascara the lower lashes) and the first day I attempted to apply it, there was nothing that really showed. It reminded me of the old Maybelline Great Lash where it would deposit a bit of mascara, but nothing was left at the end of the day. When I cleaned up the dots I got, it didn't smear or dot additionally. Pretty much anything is better. I prefer UD Perversion, Tarte Tartist Lash Paint and Julep Length Matters. Even L'Oréal Voluminous is miles better. UGH, and didn't they miss the boat on Monsieur Big? Seems like that would have been more appropriate back in the Sex and the City days.

on 8/27/2017 10:03:00 PM

I think this mascara is great, but it's not quite HG. And for the price tag, it needs to be HG. Nice black color, lots of added length but there needs to be more volume IMO.

It doesn't flake or smudge at all. This is a fully decent high-end mascara. But I like mascaras that make my lashes look plush and ridiculously dramatic. Jordana's Best Lash, UD Perversion, LM Full Blown Volume, Guerlain Maxi Lash. Mascaras like that.

If you're not looking for crazy volume and drama this might be the mascara for you. But I wouldn't buy it again.

on 7/10/2017 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

It is very wet and "goopy" straight out of the tube. There is a ton of mascara on the brush! I have to wipe it before applying so it doesn't make my lashes stick together or leave huge blobs on my lash line. It can be very hazardous for contact wearers since it's so wet. Just be careful when applying and take your time. I like how it lengthens, but wish it would build volume a bit more. The color is a deep black so it should define your eyes and make your lashes pop with one or two coats. It is not waterproof and comes off easily with warm water or a gentle cleanser. I wore this on vacation in the humid heat as well as through rain. It definitely lasted all day. There were a couple flakes throughout the day, but no smudges or smears. At the end of the day there tends to be a lot of flakes which I don't really like. I do like how dramatic this mascara is, but I haven't decided if I will buy a full size since I have to wipe the brush off before using it.

UPDATE: After about 6 weeks, it performs A LOT better. It's not nearly as goopy and I no longer have to wipe the brush off. I like the way it makes my lashes look, but it's still bothersome to my contacts. It's still really flaky in the evening after I've worn it all day.

Let me start by saying I never write reviews but this mascara was so terrible I had to.

This product is an absolute mess. It flakes like crazy, smears all along the top of my eyelids and is beyond clumpy. Normally I'm a huge fan of wet mascaras but this one is just TOO wet - it gets all over my nicely blended eye shadow and on top of my lid. The clumps are also outrageous.

Bottom line, there are so many mascaras out there that are 100% better and incredibly CHEAPER than this one. Please, save your money!!!

Got this as a sample size with a gift with purchase and was excited to try it. It was nothing but a clumpy, major, wet, black, goopy, mess. After dabbing excess off with a Q-tip and separating with an eyelash separator I was still really disappointed. Even with the extra effort they still looked like the hot mess they started with. Like I got in a fight with my make up bag, like the DVD co ernof the movie “The Eyes of Tammy Faye (Bakker)” …LOL. I do not recommend!

on 8/2/2018 3:42:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had to finally review because I genuinely really like this stuff! I'm on my third mini tube (I hate buying full sizes, it goes bad and dries up to fast, but that's with every mascara I buy) I have yet to find any other mascara that gives me so much volume and darkness that this one provides - exactly what I'm looking for!