Algenist Reveal Color Correcting Anti Aging Serum Foundation SPF 15

Algenist Reveal Color Correcting Anti Aging Serum Foundation SPF 15
Reveal Color Correcting Anti Aging Serum Foundation SPF 15

on 10/19/2017 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

The Algenist band caught my eye at Ulta because I have always liked brands that incorporate some kind of skincare into their makeup. At this point, I was looking for something to replace my Teint Idole 24h Wear Ultra. I like that foundation because of its thin texture and longevity - it lasts all day on me. Unfortunately, they don't carry my color in the US (01 Alabaster beige - quite more yellow than the US colors).

There are not a lot of colors of the foundation: 6 in total - from about NW15 to about NC45. As I have very yellow skin, the color Fair didn't suit me - it was too pink. The next color up is light. This is something between NC25-30, which was a much better match color wise, as it had much more yellow. However, it was a shade too dark for me. After reading some reviews about the foundation (the staff probably was wondering why I was just walking around there for half an hour, buried in my phone :P ), I decided to buy it. It was a pretty big bonus that the price was quite good... $38, compared to what I usually pay for foundation ($50-70). It is the regular, 30 mL/1 oz size. I also liked that it had no alcohol and quite a lot of interesting ingredients that are supposed to be good for the skin. There's quite a lot of silicones in there though, but they have never bothered my skin, as far as I know. This foundation doesn't *feel* silicon-y though. The foundation was also advertised as long-wearing, which I believed it could be, as there are polymers in this that tends to prolong the longevity of such products. This also applied pretty well on my, without sinking much into small wrinkles.

The foundation has a dropper-type of dispensing mechanism. I must say I'm not a big fan of this, but at least the bottle ismade in such a way that it doesn't get messe when taking the dropper in and out. It says that one should start with 4 drops of this and built the coverage up as needed. I have used 3-7 drops and the coverage has varied between light-solid medium without being caky. I have tried to apply this foundation with a beauty blender and using fingers. Obviously, such thin products just soak into a beauty blender, but fingers work well. The foundation doesn't emphasize any texture issues on my skin, but it also doesn't have much blurring action (I don't need it either though). It is quite moisturizing, but satin in finish. It does oxidize about a shade, but this happens very quickly after application, so you will see quite fast how dark it will get. if you compare it to the color charts above, the color is actually like on the girl wearing Light Medium. I have sensitive skin, and this doesn't bother it the least, and it really does wear all day. I set this with powder, as I do with all of my foundations, but I believe this isn't strictly necessary - if you have drier skin or doesn't use a moisturizer, I think you could skip powder.

Now, to one of my favorite parts: Algenist has something called Concentrated Color Correcting Drops. They come in 4 colors: pink, apricot, green and blue. They are advertised as something that can be used UNDER foundation to correct skin tone before applying the Algenist foundation. However, I tried to mix these with some of the foundation... and it works well this way to! This means that you can change the color of your foundation with those! :D As green neutralizes orange tones, I tried to add some of the green corrector to my foundation, and it worked well :) Thus, the colors of this foundation can be modified using the correctors. This might thin the foundation out just a tiny little bit, but it is quite good news IMO. I'm definitely going to buy more of the foundation and the corrector, which might work on other foundations too!

I would recommend this to those looking for good ingredients in a foundation, who look for light-medium coverage, preferrably dry-normal skin

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation is the most amazing foundation I have ever tried. My skin is oily, acne prone, with large pores and acne scarring. Basically a dermatologist's nightmare. My skin is a source of insecurity for me.

Holy grail product! It lives up to the texture, it truly does apply like a serum, light but with fantastic coverage. Also it's suprisingly buildable. The color matches are a little awful. I'm an NC 20 and the shade light is slightly too dark, but will work with some blending. I just ordered fair and hoping that will be light enough.

My skin looks almost airbrushed after application. It feels light on my skin (which is amazing because I typically suffer from dreaded cake face). This stays on for 5+ hour shifts at work with very little oil breakthrough.

It doesn't cover my scars perfectly but the texture and look makes them look diminished and much less noticeable. I am truly blown away by this product.

The only downside other than the limited shade selection is the actual packaging. It comes with a dropped applicator as opposed to a pump. This doesn't bother me that much as it makes it easy to control product amounts but it is a pain to travel with.

Everything breaks me out or bothers my skin and this is a miracle product because my face is not irritated or broken out after wearing this for hours.