Wet 'n' Wild Clear Nail Protector

Wet 'n' Wild Clear Nail Protector
Clear Nail ProtectorClear Nail Protector

3.8

Ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, nitrocellulose, adipic acid/neopentyl glycol/trimellitic anhydride copolymer, acetyl tributyl citrate, isopropyl alcohol, benzophenone-3, trimethylpentanediyl dibenzoate, polyvinyl butyral [+/- (may contain): violet 2 (CI 60725)].

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

The only reason why I didn't give this 5 lippies is because it takes quite awhile to dry. Other than that, this stuff is inexpensive and performs beautifully. My nails stay chip-free for days with a coat of this product post-polish!

The brush and cap like to separate from each other when you unscrew it, but all wet 'n' wild polish will do that at least once. I use it as both a base and top coat over whatever I'm wearing, which is generally also wet 'n' wild. It's not as shiny as some I've had, but shaking it well seems to fix that for me. It applies really smoothly and dries fast, even over two or three fairly fresh coats of polish. It really helps prevent chipping, I had polishes last for over a week with this as a top and base coat.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

For the record I have both bottles. I hate the black top one. I prefer the original gray top. For the Most part it dries fairly fast ( I use ice chips) and it really shine! So no complaints. Make nail last about five days.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't care how cheap this is - it's not worth the pain of waiting countless hours for it to dry. Sheet marks are guaranteed if you use this on your nails in the evening. Not very good as a base coat due to the dry time, and lack of protection against staining.

Note: I have the pre-2015-revamp version of this, in the bottle with the cylindrical silver brush handle instead of the black. I have no idea if they changed the formula (for better), but given my experiences with this, I don't intend to bother trying it.

on 3/2/2015 10:20:00 AM

I agree with azaleaxo about it making color run, it blurred the outlines of my nail art at Christmas! I have since made it my base coat or clear polish only.
So, wow! I have always kept my poor, weak, peeling nails short but now they are longer and stronger than I've ever had them!
At 40 I've been making more effort to take care of myself and nail care has always been on the back burner, this product is definitely valued in my new nail care routine!

on 1/6/2015 9:21:00 PM

It removes my nail polish. Seems like everyone likes this product but I searched a bit and I'm not the only one who actually thinks that. Plus, it takes forever to dry.
Yeah, cheap. But awful.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

For only a dollar this is a fantastic top coat. It extends the life of a manicure just as well as high-end brands do. The only big letdown is that it dries very slowly. I've put it on and gotten sheet marks on my nails like 12 hours later. It's also not quite as shiny as a lot of other top coats but that doesn't bother me. Other than that though it's a great product.

on 10/29/2014 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

HG top coat. Even though it's a nail protector, I use it as a top coat, and its the best one I've used so far. The average manicure lasts me a week before it chips. The only downside is that it takes forever to dry after the first few uses of the bottle, hence my 4 lippies. Other than that, it's great and CHEAP ($1)!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm not usually one to use a top coat, I change my nail color often so I've never really found a top coat necessary. How ever, a few days ago I was at my local dollar store looking at the nail polish selection, and to my surprise they carried Essie, O.P.I and Sally Hansen polishes. I was THRILLED, Essie polish for $3 is a huge deal. Right beside the selection was the wet n wild shine nail protector or whatever, and since I never use a top coat, this was good enough for me. The shine is great, but you have to basically not touch anything for at least an hour until it is completely dry or the shine goes dull. I painted my nails three hours before I went to bed, and when I woke up my nails were not shiny at all, and they had little scratches and dents. But for $1.25 who can really complain? After all, it did make my polish last with little to no chips, and that is what this product claims to do.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

So there's pros and cons about this product. When you first purchase this product and use it for the first time it's great! Gives a nice shiny coat probably the best shine from any top coat I've use and I had no chipping for 3 days and minimal chipping by day 5. However, the more you use this product the more it becomes a total disaster. The consistency changes completely. You start getting air bubbles, striking, it doesn't dry for hours to the point where you ruin your nails because you smudged it 3 hours after applying it thinking it was dry, it gives you bed sheet nails and turns into this super gloppy unusable product. Too bad if this product would stick to its original consistency it would be an amazing product.