Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation
The Ordinary Coverage FoundationThe Ordinary Coverage Foundation

2.6

Aqua (Water), Coconut Alkanes, Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Caprylyl Methicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Coco Caprylate/Caprate, Cetyl Diglyceryl Tris(Trimethylsiloxy)silylethyl Dimethicone, Sucrose Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Polysilicone-11, Tocopherol, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hectorite, Dimethicone/ Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Sodium Chloride, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain [ /-]: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Tin Oxide, Aluminum Hydroxide, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Mica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

on 10/2/2017 6:55:00 PM

I was very excited to try this foundation. Coverage-wise, it's comparable to Estee Lauder Double Wear. It is quite full, but not FULL full. You will still need a concealer with this if you have scarring or hyperpigmentation, however, what I tend to do it make my own concealer from the foundation itself. I squirt out a bit into a little put and leave it open so the foundation dries out. I tend to do this before i go to bed, and in the morning the consistency has become thicker, like that of a concealer. I've done this with multiple foundations and it always works, and gives you a concealer that is the exact same shade as your foundation, because it IS your foundation, just thickened up.

Staying power: On oily skin, like mine, with no primer and no powder, this will stay on for about 4 hours until you look like a complete grease ball. If you blot with blotting sheets or some powder, it will stay on another 4 hours, but if you don't blot, it will slide off. I find this foundation doesn't ever set, it feels tacky if you touch it and it transfers very easily if there's no powder to keep it in place. With primer (I use their high adherence silicone primer), I find it stays on a slight bit longer, but it also tends to look better. And if I prep my skin well, use primer and blot a couple times or powder a couple times through the day, it will stay looking good for about 9 hours. Beyond that it just starts to disappear or too much has transferred off and it doesn't look good anymore.

Shade: I have pale skin with yellow undertones. I'm a part-time model but I have acne scarring, and I needed something to replace the Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation I had been using for years because it just didn't give enough coverage. I couldn't find a shade close enough to the 51 (Vanilla Clair) that I wore. I had got a bit tanned over summer so I got the shade 1.2Y, because it was the lightest yellow shade they have, but I found it slightly too dark. It works if you blend it a bit down your neck, and if the rest of your body isn't any paler than your face, but it will definitely not match me when my tan disappears. I'm going to try the 1.1N, since it's the next lightest that might work. It is annoying that they have 1.0 and 1.1 shades with pink and neutral undertones but the yellow undertones don't start until 1.2.

Application: I apply this with a Real Techniques sponge. It looks good with the sponge either wet or dry. I've tried applying this with a stippling brush and it somehow made it look really dry and not well blended, I don't know why that was. As for applying with fingers, given how full coverage this is, I don't manage to do a good enough blending job with just fingers.

Look/finish: Finish is always dewy on me unless I powder it. I find that for the time that it lasts, it does look good. It was important for me that it looked good in photography and studio lights and it does. It looks very natural, especially if you apply it on in two very light layers with a sponge. It looks good in day light as well.

Packaging: no complaints. I like foundations with pumps. I do wish the pump had some sort of cap, since little drops left on the nozzle can smear, but I can't complain, especially for the price. That said, I also have the Serum foundation from The Ordinary in the same shade, and the pump on that malfunctioned from the first use, even though it's the exact same packaging. It would seem some are faulty.

Overall, I'm kind of stuck with this foundation. I can't afford to buy high-end foundations yet, and so far I haven't found a foundation at this price point that is as full coverage as this, doesn't break me out, looks natural (if applied well) and gets me by in my modelling jobs. When The Ordinary comes out with something not so super-dewy, tacky-feeling and transfer-y, I will definitely try it.

on 9/22/2017 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is less liquidy than the serum foundation. It has twice as much coverage, that being medium to almost full. I consider full coverage something that could cover a tattoo. It also oxides darker and to a different undertone than it should be like the serum foundation (see pictures). The finish is dewy, yet it clings to texture and dry patches, making your skin look kind of bad. You will need to set it because it doesn't really set/dry down. Even though I set it with powder, after 2 hours, it starts to slide around my face and transfer so easily. I don't consider my skin oily, but oil comes out though the day like anyone. So that's a huge downside.

I will rebuy this because it's cheap and appropriate for running errands. I have acne 'scars' and this is better then nothing. I don't like to use expensive foundation when i'm getting some eggs :)

It's worth trying out. I recommend this over the serum foundation because it covers better, but many people seem to like the serum foundation. Maybe pick up both.

Before and after pictures on blemished skin shown in my video and/or on my blog.

on 9/19/2017 10:30:00 AM

I started wearing foundation at the age of 27. I could get away with concealer and powder for the longest, but my skin is aging and I've always had a quite a bit of redness. I haven't tried a lot of foundations. I took a chance on The Ordinary Coverage foundation and am really pleased with it. I've repurchased it once. I had the lightest color (1.0N) which was too light for me but still worked out. I repurchased and picked 1.2N and it's perfect.

On hot days, it does separate a bit when I sweat. I can't actually see the separation on my face. I just notice it when I touch the oily parts of my face. One lippie off for that. I am so pleased with the flawless base that it gives me that I can't really find any other issues to gripe about with this product. It also doesn't look like a mask, which is important to me.

on 9/11/2017 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is amazing for the price, I can't believe it. I wouldn't say it's full coverage, but it does build nicely.

I am about nc10-15 and tried 1.0N and did not like it (it was too neutral/pink for me and oxidized. I decided to give this foundation another try, as I was in a Deciem store and could swatch and try them in person. I got 1.1N (perfect for NC15) and 1.2Y which works for me with a light tan, even more yellow toned and perfect.

The packaging is nice and lightweight, nothing fancy but effective, although the pump area can get messy and grubby since it's a black matte texture.

I'd say try it, it's so cheap and really nice, if it doesn't work for you it's really no lose. I have dry-normal skin and it sat nicely. I set the foundation with Laura mercier loose setting powder with a wet beauty blender sponge and got very nice looking skin.

on 9/10/2017 10:08:00 AM

Frankly one of the worst foundations I've ever worn. I bought shade 2.1Y from the Deciem Covent Garden store and thankfully its under £6 because its going straight in the bin!

The formula is very thin and watery for a high coverage foundation. Somewhat equivalent in texture to the NYX total control drops or Loreal Magic nude liquid. Pigment wise, in comparison to other drugstore price, full coverage foundations like Milani 2 in 1 or Loreal total cover, this falls severely short. When swatched on the back of the hand this appears pigmented, but once applied (with brush or sponge) the coverage is poor and very patchy.

The worst part of this foundation is that once applied, it instantly sinks into all the fine lines and drier areas on your face you never even knew you had (not neccesarily "dry skin" - just an area a little drier than normal). It amplifies any existing skin issues and even adds more! Even if I used a blurring primer (eg. Benefit Porefessional or Garnier 5 sec Blur), all I had to do was smile once about 30 mins after application and suddenly the foundation had moved and created smile lines where there were none before. If you want to use this foundation, be sure to be expressionless! Also it exaggerates pores by sinking into them and then oxidising at a different rate to the rest of your face. Oxidation is also another problem I had, it changed colour from a light medium yellow tone to a warm orange within 20 mins of application with the addition of an ashy white cast.

When I attempted to mix this with other foundations (just to see if I could salvage SOME USE from it, it overpowered their formulas and clung to skin in its usual horrid way. I did a half face of milani and half of this for comparison and the result was shocking! Im only 24 and this made me look older, giving my combination skin texture, patchy coverage, chalkiness and crepey finish where the milani formula gave a smooth and youthful look. I repeated the experiment with Loreal total cover and event the Bourjois healthy mix foundation and the result was the same.

The formula never really sets or dries down and transfers even 1 hour after application. Now, when this transfers it doesn't just smudge a little, it completely comes off! It starts getting patchy and oily around 2 hours after wearing on a cloudy, windy day, i cant imagine this would wear well in warm weather or even at all on oily skinned people.

I don't recommend application with a sponge as the thin formula means your sponge will simply soak it up. Even with a kabuki brush, a completely even coverage could not be achieved.

I tried every which way to love this foundation, with different moisturisers, different primers, mixing it with other foundations, different setting powders and different application techniques but theres just no getting away from the fact that this is poorly formulated. Its really awful. Like I said, Im glad its only £5.90 because its going straight in the bin. The only reason I can see for this being sold out and popular is because Deciem dont have as many bad reviews on their page as here, which is suspicious....

UPDATE: DECIEM refused to publish my honest review because they "cannot verify that i purchased the product from" them.

I love some of Deciem's skincare formulations but this has to be one of the worst makeup products I have ever tried.

on 8/20/2017 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

i bought this foundation because i've seen all the good reviews about it and it only costs me IDR 170 so i decided to give it a shot. i bought mine in 2.1Y (i'm NC35) and the first time i tried it on my skin i was like "ooo shizz" because the color is sooo yellow-ish and it oxidizes real fast, everytime i use it my face looks waaay darker and i have to set this foundation with a colored pressed powder instead of my RCMA to match my actual skin tone. despite the nice coverage and natural finish, it gets oily within 3-4 hours on my dry skin and that's sooo confusing, even a dewy-finish foundation doesn't make my skin oily, but this one?!?! and the last problem i encountered while i was using this foundation is... it breaks my skin out. my skin is not sensitive, not acne-prone, never reacted badly to any skincare/makeup product before, and i never had a single acne for months before i used this foundation. i tried to love this foundation, had a thought to buy another one in lighter shade, and within a week i totally changed my mind because there's no way i would want to use a foundation that gave me two giant pimples and clogged pores all over my face, not anymore. i guess it's because of the coconut alkanes and a bunch of silicone derivatives in it, though i don't exactly know, i use silicone primer sometimes and some of my foundations also contain silicone but they don't break me out, so maybe this foundation is simply not for me.

on 8/11/2017 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love the ordinary foundations. I have both The coverage and serum. I don't put primer i just moisturize my face well.it last all day for me and it gives me a healthy look. I have dry sensitive skin.with some redness and it covers well. I do set my face with very little powder and then spray it with my Mario Budescu facial mist. FYI the coverage Foundation does oxide so get a lighter color.

I have this in 1.0P, my skin tone is NC10. I'd give it 3.5 stars.

PROS
- inexpensive. It's about $5 per bottle.
- really nice container
- decent range of light shades
- a little goes a long way
- finish is matte, but not too matte
- applies well over The Ordinary primer with a sponge
- lasts 10-12 hours

CONS
- the colour is a little yellow to begin with. In comparison, my cool-toned foundations (Guerlain, MUFE, NARS) actually look salmon-pink. If you need really pink undertones, this line if not for you.
- so easy to apply too much and then- like other reviewers noted- it never sets
- the finish can get a little powdery and stick to imperfections/baby hairs/wrinkles
- not great for building up; you go from too little to too much very fast

Is this amazing? Nah. Is it awful? Nope. It's a perfectly decent five-buck foundation, and I'm excited to try the serum one.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wanted to like this so bad! Because it's cheap, I figured I could get it for both evenings out (when I want more coverage) and to mix it with other stuff, for my daily tinted moisturizer (I use sunscreen, foundation, and a bit of shimmer cream to illuminate).

However, it keeps sliding off my face, like if I touch it, there is going to be a finger mark. It doesn't ever set, and feels tacky on the skin unless I use a lot of setting powder. It highlights my imperfections in a really weird way, like dryness I didn't even know was there. It doesn't even play well with others, cause it doesn't matter what I mix it with, it's just going to ruin the other products.

I used it yesterday with a drop of my face shimmer, and after Sunday Riley's tinted primer, and when I came across a mirror I realized with sheer horror that it just looked like a greasy layer on top of my skin. If anything had touched my face, like my sleeve or a tissue, it would just have been wiped off. It seems to me very unlikely that the people who tested this foundation before it was released never had this problem.

I'd like to add that I exfoliate my skin really well once a week, and use acids at night, so it generally have a healthy, smooth and non-clogged skin, which constitutes a good canvas; I never came across a foundation that never sets, it's completely new to me, and I don't use that much product- I'm careful and build it up progressively.

I can't possibly recommend it to anyone. It's cheap, but it's also really, really bad. Don't bother buying.

Edit: Case in point > I dropped the tiniest bit of product on the lid of another product and didn't notice. Days after I used it, it never dried out. When I touched it to wipe it off, it was still as liquid as the first day. I think this is just not meant to set at all.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I was really lucky to find the right shade straight away, but ..did not ike it much. It did stick to every single dry patch on my face. Then got better after an hour or so simply because everything did start to get oily. And then it did start to separate. Badly. The sides of my nose were the worst. Medium coverage (I am used to full) .Basically an ok foundation if you are planning to stay out three hours max. Only good point is that it did not break me out , as most foundations do. Will not repurchase and actually gave my two bottles to a friend already. FYI , I am a NC25 in Mac and Sand in Estee Lauder Double Wear and shade 1.2Y was PERFECT.