Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation

Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation
The Ordinary Coverage FoundationThe Ordinary Coverage Foundation

2.8

Aqua (Water), Coconut Alkanes, Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Caprylyl Methicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Coco Caprylate/Caprate, Cetyl Diglyceryl Tris(Trimethylsiloxy)silylethyl Dimethicone, Sucrose Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Polysilicone-11, Tocopherol, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hectorite, Dimethicone/ Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Sodium Chloride, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain [ /-]: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Tin Oxide, Aluminum Hydroxide, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Mica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

I thought that I was so lucky to purchase Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation before they were sold out.

I purchased three shades, 1.0P, 1.1P and 2.1 P. All are suppose to be for fair skin with pink undertones. They took ages to get here to Australia but they finally arrived and I have been playing with them for about two weeks now. Comes in a pump bottle and one pump is enough to cover your whole face and neck.

1.0P and 1.1P are very light but 2.1P came out mustard yellow. If you mix in the lighter shades, it does make it wearable but on its own it is not for fair skin.

All I can say is BIG disappointment. This is suppose to be their full coverage foundation as opposed to their serum which provides light coverage. This foundation didn't even cover my redness after two applications. I tried, blending with my fingers, brush and blender and all ended up with the same result, very poor coverage.

Within an hour the foundation was wearing away on the high points of my face, forehead, nose, cheeks and chin. My face looked like I had patches of foundation showing through my real skin, my skin felt dry, red and splotchy but looked oily and shiny. It is very cold here in Australia, heading into winter so I can't even blame it on hot weather, making my foundation slide.

I used The Ordinary Primer and my usual Kat Von D primer and neither helped this foundation to stay put. My skin looked red and my nose shiny, which considering I have very dry skin and haven't suffered from oiliness in over 30 years is a feat in its self. This foundation just doesn't last, even with a good dusting of finishing powder and setting spray.

I applied the darker 2.1P foundation which was very yellow and then applied the lighter 1.0P over the top for a fuller, lighter shade coverage that matched my skintone but nothing I did could save this foundation from a negative review.

It showed every flaw, pore and wrinkle to spectacular effect and is not worth the money spent. It may be a cheap foundation ($13 in Australia) but I have had cheaper foundations work much better.

After being very impressed with their skincare range their foundation is a huge letdown.

As for the YouTube Gurus who give this product a thumbs up review, they are all #influencersforprofit and I would take everything they say with a grain of salt, it's all part of their pay check. I only ever use YouTube to try and colour match skin tones, I will use my own brain to make up my mind if a product is good or not. The best places for honest reviews is right here at MakeupAlley and go by what the majority say as it is always suspicious when one or two positives out of a whole bunch of negatives say it's great, that's usually the company trying to even the score. Instead of letting the people speak they should be spending their time improving their shabby product.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

First off, I waited soooooo long! Soooooo long, almost 3 months for this foundation. I have used this for 3 days now and I just can't deal with this foundation any longer. I was so heart broken on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time I tried it. I was expecting so much because Wayne Goss said so along with their skincare line that totally broke me out (that's another review). Now back to this foundation. I am an NC30-NC35. I got 3 shades because I thought, foundation (2.1Y), concealer/highlight shade (1.2Y) and a contour shade (3.2N). Let's just say I am glad I got two different shade of yellow undertone.

1.2Y beautiful shade really yellow but it's light. BUT this oxidises into a banana shade!

2.1Y this is actually an orange more so than a yellow! You will look like an ompaloompa (not sure if that's how it's spelt)

3.2N beautiful shade for contouring and bronzing until it goes muddy!

Primer used for 3 days: Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, MUF Step 1 smoothing, Jouer Antiblemish Primer

Setting Powder used for 3 days: RCMA no colour powder, MAC SF and MAC MSF

Setting Spray used for 3 days: Gerard Cosmetics Slay All day and Australis Matte spray

I used my fingers at first, then I feel so gross and finish it off with my Beauty Blender. I used a brush, yeah don't bother!

All combo failed! FAILED spectacularly!!!

Cons;
- settles to fine lines, does nothing for pores even with great primer, highlights texture! So unflattering to my skin. Reminded me of my experience with the KVD lock it foundation.
- it oxidise like no one's business!!!
- it last for 2hrs at most. I can't even blot and fix it because it just disappear and seperate in areas
- it is patchy with a non silicone primer
- what coverage??? You can't even layer this foundation more than twice to build coverage. Terrible mess!

Pro's;
- It didn't break me out
- good controlled pump
- Price is Ok. It's almost $13AUD and I got 3 of them so almost $40 wasted.
- Shade range is good, but like I said above, it oxidises and the 2.1Y is orange!!!!

This reminds me of a BB cream. But you probably get a better result with a BB cream. Not mature skin friendly. I am mad at this foundation as you can probably tell. I suffered 3 days of humiliating bad foundation day at work. Mind you, it's winter in Australia right now so I am combo and not that oily at the moment. If you have a younger skin with not many problematic facial issues then this foundation can possibly work well for you. But it's a big FAIL for me.

on 9/10/2017 10:08:00 AM

Frankly one of the worst foundations I've ever worn. I bought shade 2.1Y from the Deciem Covent Garden store and thankfully its under £6 because its going straight in the bin!

The formula is very thin and watery for a high coverage foundation. Somewhat equivalent in texture to the NYX total control drops or Loreal Magic nude liquid. Pigment wise, in comparison to other drugstore price, full coverage foundations like Milani 2 in 1 or Loreal total cover, this falls severely short. When swatched on the back of the hand this appears pigmented, but once applied (with brush or sponge) the coverage is poor and very patchy.

The worst part of this foundation is that once applied, it instantly sinks into all the fine lines and drier areas on your face you never even knew you had (not neccesarily "dry skin" - just an area a little drier than normal). It amplifies any existing skin issues and even adds more! Even if I used a blurring primer (eg. Benefit Porefessional or Garnier 5 sec Blur), all I had to do was smile once about 30 mins after application and suddenly the foundation had moved and created smile lines where there were none before. If you want to use this foundation, be sure to be expressionless! Also it exaggerates pores by sinking into them and then oxidising at a different rate to the rest of your face. Oxidation is also another problem I had, it changed colour from a light medium yellow tone to a warm orange within 20 mins of application with the addition of an ashy white cast.

When I attempted to mix this with other foundations (just to see if I could salvage SOME USE from it, it overpowered their formulas and clung to skin in its usual horrid way. I did a half face of milani and half of this for comparison and the result was shocking! Im only 24 and this made me look older, giving my combination skin texture, patchy coverage, chalkiness and crepey finish where the milani formula gave a smooth and youthful look. I repeated the experiment with Loreal total cover and event the Bourjois healthy mix foundation and the result was the same.

The formula never really sets or dries down and transfers even 1 hour after application. Now, when this transfers it doesn't just smudge a little, it completely comes off! It starts getting patchy and oily around 2 hours after wearing on a cloudy, windy day, i cant imagine this would wear well in warm weather or even at all on oily skinned people.

I don't recommend application with a sponge as the thin formula means your sponge will simply soak it up. Even with a kabuki brush, a completely even coverage could not be achieved.

I tried every which way to love this foundation, with different moisturisers, different primers, mixing it with other foundations, different setting powders and different application techniques but theres just no getting away from the fact that this is poorly formulated. Its really awful. Like I said, Im glad its only £5.90 because its going straight in the bin. The only reason I can see for this being sold out and popular is because Deciem dont have as many bad reviews on their page as here, which is suspicious....

UPDATE: DECIEM refused to publish my honest review because they "cannot verify that i purchased the product from" them.

I love some of Deciem's skincare formulations but this has to be one of the worst makeup products I have ever tried.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Really wanted to like this, because it's so affordable and has natural ingredients. Was also hoping for a light foundation for Summer months, but something that would stop me getting oily in my pesky t-zone. I matched well to the 1.1n (I'm MAC NC15) and I like the way it applies, a little does go a long way and it still feels light on the skin. It also has a semi-matte finish, which is nicer than a flat matte look.However, as soon as I've applied the problems start... it never sets, just feels like it's sitting there on top of my skin. I've tried with and without primer (ordinary's own), with and without powder, and the results are the same. I only have to touch my face and it comes off onto my finger, leaving a nice streak. In a few hours I'm a mess of grease and separated, oxidized foundation. Thankfully I didn't pay more for this, otherwise I'd feel completely swindled by the promises. Maybe it would work for those with drier skin, but definitely not for me.

on 6/15/2017 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Cool

Of course, each of us has different skin and different requirements for what is successful -- I like this formula because it works for me. I think it is an excellent foundation and easily fits in among my top favorite foundations: Chanel Vitalumiere, Guerlain Parure de Lumiere, and Lancome Renergie Lift. The price is remarkable!

I have mature skin which tends to be dry and I have a tiny amount of rosacea on my cheeks. I've been faithful about using several products from The Ordinary (Vitamin C,E,Ferulic acid; Niacinamide + Zinc; Advanced Retinoid 2%; Matrixyl 10%; Rose Hip Seed Oil; 100% Squalene; Buffet....) I follow a specific regimen for a.m. and p.m. to keep my skin healthy and moisturized.

Before I apply this foundation I use a foundation primer (from Hourglass, Smashbox or The Ordinary). I use a combination of my fingers and a buffing brush to apply the foundation. I set my foundation with a light application of translucent powder (Bare Minerals) or ByeBye Pores (IT Cosmetics).

The Ordinary Coverage foundation works well for me. I've also had great success by mixing a bit of the Serum Foundation along with the Coverage foundation. My skin looks flawless, it covers my bits of rosacea, it doesn't accentuate my pores or wrinkles. The Coverage Foundation lasts through the work day for me and into the evening with no patchiness or wearing off. That is a success, for me.

The packaging and price are nice on this, but that's about it. I absolutely hated this. I bought this when it first came out and waited forever for it to come- but that was fine, as I knew it would take a long time, so I don't hold that against it! I was so excited when it came. I also bought the High Adherence Silicone Primer because Wayne Goss used this in his YouTube video trying it (and it's cheap too).

I got 1.1 N and 1.2 N- the 1.2N was really yellow, but both still worked okay color wise on my skin.

It was awful. Truly awful. I tried it with the high adherence primer, by the end of the day it had worn off in patches, looked like it hardly covered. It was even kind of greasy. Totally awful. It looked good for about 3 minutes after I applied it with my brush (I use an Artis copy brush from Crown that I got in a Boxycharm)

So the next day I tried it with my favorite primer, the UD Optical Illusion primer- that normally makes me look airbrushed- and it was the same thing. Truly awful. I tried it with my RT sponge, awful. I tried it with my Elf prep and hydrate primer. Awful.

After looking awful at work for so many days, I decided never again. So now I'm trying to figure out if I will give this to someone with dryer skin (I have combo/dry) or just throw it out.

I have to say, I've tried the high adherence primer with my regular foundation (Revlon Colorstay) and I really like the primer. So there's that.

I love a lot of things from The Ordinary- this is absolutely not one of them.

on 6/11/2017 11:41:00 AM

I was so excited to try this product after Wayne Goss recommended it. I have both pink and yellow undertones and can usually either wear NW20 or NC20 in MAC. I hopped on eBay and found 1.2N for a reasonable price (more than you would usually pay, but not outrageous). I received it quickly and tried it on the next day with The Ordinary primer. My daughter also tried it with the Pores No More primer. I am 46 and have dry skin and my daughter is 23 and has oily skin. For both of us, it went on beautifully. We used the MAC 196 foundation brush. It gave full coverage and left a soft finish. We each topped it with a light dusting of powder, I used MAC prep and prime transparent loose powder and she used MAC Studio Fix Powder. For me throughout the day, it became more yellow. By the end of the day, it was really yellow and I looked like I used the color banana on my face. In addition, it didn't hold up. Even with my dry skin, it faded on my chin, nose, and cheeks enough that it was obvious. For my daughter, within an hour, it oxidized the other way and became really orange, which was crazy because it has yellow undertones, and separated on her nose, chin, and cheeks so that it looked like she was two completely different colors and the makeup was floating on top. She immediately took it off and went back to her MAC. I was so disappointed in this product.

on 6/26/2017 5:24:00 PM

It makes me wonder if YouTube beauty gurus are paid to sell a product. I have tried to wear this foundation and every time I am disappointed. it transfers, it becomes patchy and it does not last more than a couple of hours. It looks horrendous on skin. Just a horrible foundation. This is the worst foundation I have ever tried. Regardless of its price I would still expect a semi decent foundation. Nope it is not decent at all. It's not even comparable to our "drug store" brands (us Australians don't use that terminology). It is not worth the price eventhough the price is cheap, that's how bad this stuff is.

Edit: ok girls and guys I tried a different approach for application. I used a silicone based primer I then used my real techniques brush to blend this product out instead of my beauty blender, I then used my Estee Lauder double wear powder on top of it. By doing this the foundation has lasted all day with out it breaking up or disappearing! Infact it looks lovely. It's not a foundation that you can't wear it on its own I believe the Estee Lauder dw powder is what changed this foundation into a wearable and actually decent foundation. For this reason I changed my vote from a 1 to a 3.

on 6/23/2017 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I wish I could give this product 2.5 lippies because I think it is truly middle of the road. I bought two of the serum foundations, and two of the high coverage. I bought two colours of each because it's always so hard to tell online. I'm somewhere between NC20 and 25 right now but I have a LOT of freckles, and that makes me look darker even though my neck is quite light.

Wow the Coverage is INCREDIBLY opaque. The texture is quite similar to the serum foundation - a nice thick liquid with a slightly silicone-y feeling and a pretty matte dry-down. The serum foundation is probably half as opaque as the full coverage, however I would say it's at least still a medium coverage foundation.

I got both 1.2YG and 2.0YG - neither are shimmery. They are quite olive toned. Girls who have a hard time finding an olive liquid foundation, I'd suggest you try these!

The 1.2N is the best colour match for me - it's a true light neutral colour. In the summer I'm going to mix the 1.2YG into it to match my tiny little bit of a warm tan on the rest of my body.

Now for the application - it's a bit finicky. You have to use quite little and put it on in very thin layers, otherwise it gets slippy, slidy, and greasy throughout the day. I usually put a very thin light layer on my whole face, then go back in over the chin, nose and inner forehead where I get redness.

I do have to powder and setting spray this formula or else it does wear off in patches like other reviewers have mentioned. But it's not a sticky formula like some - it won't rub off on your hand or anything like that.

To be honest, I can't believe people were so harsh in their reviews considering this is less than $7. It's better than any drugstore liquid foundation that I've tried (that's not discontinued.... RIP many old loves!) and it's cheaper too.

*edit* - ended up putting it down to 2 lippies. I threw it out - never reached for it.

on 9/11/2017 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is amazing for the price, I can't believe it. I wouldn't say it's full coverage, but it does build nicely.

I am about nc10-15 and tried 1.0N and did not like it (it was too neutral/pink for me and oxidized. I decided to give this foundation another try, as I was in a Deciem store and could swatch and try them in person. I got 1.1N (perfect for NC15) and 1.2Y which works for me with a light tan, even more yellow toned and perfect.

The packaging is nice and lightweight, nothing fancy but effective, although the pump area can get messy and grubby since it's a black matte texture.

I'd say try it, it's so cheap and really nice, if it doesn't work for you it's really no lose. I have dry-normal skin and it sat nicely. I set the foundation with Laura mercier loose setting powder with a wet beauty blender sponge and got very nice looking skin.