Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation

Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation
The Ordinary Coverage FoundationThe Ordinary Coverage Foundation

2.8

Aqua (Water), Coconut Alkanes, Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Caprylyl Methicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Coco Caprylate/Caprate, Cetyl Diglyceryl Tris(Trimethylsiloxy)silylethyl Dimethicone, Sucrose Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Polysilicone-11, Tocopherol, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hectorite, Dimethicone/ Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Sodium Chloride, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain [ /-]: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Tin Oxide, Aluminum Hydroxide, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Mica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

I thought that I was so lucky to purchase Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation before they were sold out.

I purchased three shades, 1.0P, 1.1P and 2.1 P. All are suppose to be for fair skin with pink undertones. They took ages to get here to Australia but they finally arrived and I have been playing with them for about two weeks now. Comes in a pump bottle and one pump is enough to cover your whole face and neck.

1.0P and 1.1P are very light but 2.1P came out mustard yellow. If you mix in the lighter shades, it does make it wearable but on its own it is not for fair skin.

All I can say is BIG disappointment. This is suppose to be their full coverage foundation as opposed to their serum which provides light coverage. This foundation didn't even cover my redness after two applications. I tried, blending with my fingers, brush and blender and all ended up with the same result, very poor coverage.

Within an hour the foundation was wearing away on the high points of my face, forehead, nose, cheeks and chin. My face looked like I had patches of foundation showing through my real skin, my skin felt dry, red and splotchy but looked oily and shiny. It is very cold here in Australia, heading into winter so I can't even blame it on hot weather, making my foundation slide.

I used The Ordinary Primer and my usual Kat Von D primer and neither helped this foundation to stay put. My skin looked red and my nose shiny, which considering I have very dry skin and haven't suffered from oiliness in over 30 years is a feat in its self. This foundation just doesn't last, even with a good dusting of finishing powder and setting spray.

I applied the darker 2.1P foundation which was very yellow and then applied the lighter 1.0P over the top for a fuller, lighter shade coverage that matched my skintone but nothing I did could save this foundation from a negative review.

It showed every flaw, pore and wrinkle to spectacular effect and is not worth the money spent. It may be a cheap foundation ($13 in Australia) but I have had cheaper foundations work much better.

After being very impressed with their skincare range their foundation is a huge letdown.

As for the YouTube Gurus who give this product a thumbs up review, they are all #influencersforprofit and I would take everything they say with a grain of salt, it's all part of their pay check. I only ever use YouTube to try and colour match skin tones, I will use my own brain to make up my mind if a product is good or not. The best places for honest reviews is right here at MakeupAlley and go by what the majority say as it is always suspicious when one or two positives out of a whole bunch of negatives say it's great, that's usually the company trying to even the score. Instead of letting the people speak they should be spending their time improving their shabby product.

on 5/27/2017 12:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Only recieved this today after a 1 month wait. Have wore it for most of today and so far I am really pleased. I have shade 2.1Y which is a tad dark but once I get a little more tanned it will be perfect, would say similar shade to NC35. Wears well, I have combination skin and this is holding up fine. Gives a lovely light sheen to the skin and coverage is pretty good. I only put a thin layer on and it has evened out my skintone well.

on 5/27/2017 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I received this product after about two months (7 weeks and a few more days) of wait and I am very happy about it. I purchased 1.1N (I am NC15 in MAC mineralize moisture foundation) and it turned out to look like it's 2 shades too light on the back of my hand. It is alright after I blend it out on my face but STILL a tiny bit too light.
I might have tanned a little bit over the last few days because according to Wayne Goss 1.1N is similar to NC15, so anyone out there who's about to order, you might want to order just a shade darker.

First off I have normal-combination skin, occasionally dry cheeks when I put too much powder on my face, so I tend to only apply a thin layer. I applied this foundation at 11am and it still looked fresh after 9 hours of wear. I tried blending it with fingers, blush, sponge, and I couldn't see big differences in the finish or coverage. It is not as spreadable as I imagined it would be, but the consistency is still very easy to work with. It sets in quickly and has semi-matte finish.

In terms of coverage, it was able to cover my dark circles pretty well with just one layer; I did not need extra concealer for my scar marks as it already made it way less noticeable. But I never liked concealing everything on my face (including scars) anyway, so I understand that some people may think that the coverage is not enough. My scars were still visible when I looked closely but the redness did not show anymore and I consider this medium coverage. Building up is also an option thus full coverage can be achieved.
It looked natural on my skin but still a bit makeup-ish and I personally love this finish. This finish reminds me of Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation.

It did not have a smell, at least I did not notice any. The pump has a smart design; you can swist it to the right and lock it to prevent leakage, and only swirl to the left when you need to use. I saw some people complain that it is not an airtight design but I think it is...?
It has not yet break me out so far, so I'd say it is a very good foundation, and with this price I would definitely repurchase.

I would update if it ever breaks me out or if I notice anything worth knowing.

Edit: after a few more wearing (longer than 9 hours) I notice that it indeed does not have oil control property. It is now summer in the UK and I tend to have oilier skin during summer so this may be why I did not have a problem with oil before but only now. After 6 hours I notice that the satin finish is gone and my face is more shiny, however when I compare this to "oily" to my boyfriend, he said my skin looked healthy and radiant rather than oily that he actually liked it better. He commented that my skin looked a bit dry after 1 or 2 hours of wear (to me it was just satin finish) so there seems to be a drastic difference in terms of the lasting power of this foundation depending on skin type. I did not use powder to set my makeup that day just to see how good it lasts on it's own. I noticed that it settled into my smile lines a bit after 2 hours of wear which I did not notice before. I used Benefit that gal primer(brightening) and moisturized my face with cream but not a moisturizing serum and the satin finish was lovely and lasted for two or three hours, so the short lasting power probably was not because of the layers underneath but the choice of primer could make a difference. I will also try setting it with powder and see how it goes. Will update if I find anything useful because this foundation really is lovely.

Edit 2: setting with powder help a bit, mixing it with powder helped loads but also made it very sticky and way less spreadable but still won't be enough to hold the oil... I have so far found no way to work around with it without taking away the beautiful finish and texture. In conclusion this is not a long lasting foundation, it never claimed to have oil control ability so if you're only wearing makeup for a few hours or wouldn't mind blotting throughout the day, this is absolutely perfect for you. Probably not for me because i do not like having to touch up all the time

on 5/30/2017 8:57:00 AM

Well it's about as good as a foundation as one would expect from something so cheap.
I got the lightest neutral shade for my NW15 complexion. and while it look really white upon application, it did oxidize to a shade that matched me well.
I applied over my moisturizer with a damp BB, and I liked it initially. It covered well I think (but I don't really have much to cover, just redness), and it had a satin finish that looked pretty. The problem came later on, about 4-5 hours in, when I realized it somehow had vanished from my cheeks so that some of the redness showed through. I hadn't touched my face or anything, so it just kind of vanished on its own. It also started looking a bit grainy, like it had sank into pores (but didn't look TOO disgusting, like some other foundations tend to do).
It didn't irritate my face or anything, and I can't say if it breaks me out because I only wore it once.

I think I will keep using it when I run errands but I don't need it to last for a long time, it's not a bad product at all, but it doesn't compare to my go-to foundations (Smashbox and ELDWL).

The price is really good, cheaper than d/s foundations, but I wouldn't rebuy.

on 5/30/2017 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I finally received this yesterday after weeks on the waiting list and am moved to review.

I've become a bit of an Ordinary advocate for the price and the quality. With few exceptions I've been really pleased and this is no different (the Argireline and the Vit C suspension I'm on the fence over).

I was uncertain about ordering a foundation without any concept of how the shades may appear in reality. I'm fair, probably with pinkish undertones but not so pink I wanted to choose the P shades. I went with 1.1N as I thought that would be safest bet. For reference, I usually wear Giorgio Armani LSF in 2 or 3.

I'm so impressed. The coverage is good - heavier than GA LSF but still natural and not so heavy I feel caked. I'm happy with the colour. I thought the tone was wrong initially but it's nicely warmed up throughout the day and I don't think it's worn off in any areas.

On the few rare occasions I deviate from GA LSF, I'm never 100% happy with the result but I'm thrilled with this. I can see myself wearing this for daytime/work and saving the GA for more special occasions. Although I like the coverage and finish on this so much I can see it taking over.

Regardless of the price, it's a serious contender and factoring it in, it's a total winner.

Looking forward to trying the Serum formulation at some point and I'll probably also purchase a darker tint for when I fake tan.

As I'm only a day in with this product, I will update should my view change for better or worse. This is also why I haven't given this product 5 stars, I want to wait and see if I stand by this review in a few days or weeks.

on 6/5/2017 10:32:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I bought 2 colors of this, both of them didn't match my skin tone, but I did mix them and it looks alright. It oxides terribly. After about 4 hours I noticed that it settles into every line (I don't have a lot) and it looks horrible. I use a primer and none of the other foundations that I wear do this. I am so glad it was cheap. I guess you pay what is it worth and I can say, it's not worth a lot.

on 6/5/2017 9:09:00 PM

Purchased this in the shade 1.2N. My normal shade is between MAC NW18-20. As a 59 year old, my skin is normal to dry but with very large pores due to aging and old acne scars and some discolorations. I first tried applying it with my fingers and was surprised by how pigmented it was. A little goes a very long way. Unfortunately, I found the shade slightly too yellow, and the overall effect was too high coverage and flat. I next tried sheering it out with a damp sponge. The effect was slightly better, but still not very flattering, as it seemed to emphasize my pores and lines. On my third attempt I decided to try it with an illuminating primer (Becca Backlight Priming Filter) and the sponge. Slightly better but still not flattering. I think the problem is the foundation's texture and how it works on my skin. It provides high coverage for discolorations but does nothing to smooth or blur textural imperfections. I may have been better off trying the Serum Foundation in this line. For now, I'll go back to my current faves -- MUFE Ultra HD in R250 which for me is perfect match colour-wise and looks very natural while providing medium coverage, and the Cover FX Natural Finish Oil-free foundation in N25, which provides higher coverage without looking cakey and is soothing on my skin when it is feeling irritated in the winter.

on 6/5/2017 9:35:00 PM

I've been trying out this and the serum foundation for about two weeks now and I love them both! The coverage foundation is great for when I need a bit more than a light-medium coverage. Its definitely not full coverage but covers just enough to make my skin look nearly flawless. I've tried this with probably 5 different primers(both from the Ordinary, YSL blur primer, Laura Mercier radiance, CoverFX illuminating, plus a couple others I know I am forgetting). They all worked well under this foundation but my favourite is actually The Ordinary High Adherence primer. Lasts for 12-14 hours without separating, fading or sinking into any lines! This one is definitely a keeper!

My HG foundation is UD All Nighter so I already had low expectations of this product - and I was not disappointed. Despite being highly pigmented, it performed poorly. I use a Sigma flat top Kabuki brush to apply my foundation. This is so runny and covers nothing. I would compare this to a tinted moisturizer. After an hour my face was a shiny mess and I do not have oily skin. I used Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer and this still ran right off my face. The pump is nice but why no cap? The only good thing I can say about this is that it was cheap.

on 6/7/2017 2:41:00 PM

Was expecting good things from this. No.
Colour match was surprisingly good considering it was bought online (two slightly different shades), however it oxidises the instant it is out of the pump and goes a much darker orange shade. It is quite thick and one pump is enough for entire face, coverage is good and I didn't need concealer besides the usual undereye stuff.
But. Gathers horribly in hairline, it creases and settles instantly into the smallest lines, and separates into streaks by the end of the day (even using The Ordinary primer underneath). Adding a drop of oil to sheer it out on a less-makeup day just made it worse.

On checking makeup in daylight in my car at the end of the work day, I found it had entirely disappeared from my nose and round my mouth onto my chin, gutted. I'd been walking about at work with half a face on for who knows how long. I'm not even that messy of an eater that I'd had to wipe round my mouth at lunch, so god knows how it had vanished. There was a definite makeup/no makeup line and it just looked dreadful.

Tried different methods of application, with/without primer, and it just doesn't work for me. I really wish it had as the price and initial colour match is very good, but I definitely won't be buying this again. Shame. Might try mixing it with my usual MAC foundation to see what happens and use up the rest of the two bottles purchased.