Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation

Filtered by age: 36-43
Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation
The Ordinary Coverage FoundationThe Ordinary Coverage Foundation

2.8

Aqua (Water), Coconut Alkanes, Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Caprylyl Methicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Coco Caprylate/Caprate, Cetyl Diglyceryl Tris(Trimethylsiloxy)silylethyl Dimethicone, Sucrose Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Polysilicone-11, Tocopherol, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hectorite, Dimethicone/ Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Sodium Chloride, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain [ /-]: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Tin Oxide, Aluminum Hydroxide, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Mica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

I love The Ordinary foundations! I think for day-to-day, running around when you don't want to wear your Armani or Koh Gen Do $70 foundations, this fits the bill perfectly. Would I wear it on my wedding day? No. But for everyday it's amazing.

I apply mine right after moisturizer and then a light diffusing primer. Currently loving the Becca Backlight. This is a fairly flat finish foundation, so the glow primer helps give it more of a satin finish, which I prefer in my 30's. The combination of the light diffusing and applying it right after moisturizer helps it become more of a medium coverage vs. a full coverage look.

I set with powder and a setting spray and get all day wear. I have dry, sensitive skin and this doesn't cling or get patchy. The Fair shades didn't oxidize on me much, but the Light shades did, as I got into the level 2 shades. I have been using a combination of 1.1N and 1.2N. I think if you are trying to decide between shades, go with the lighter one, because these do oxidize somewhat and dry a bit darker than when first applied.

It should be noted that I typically hate drugstore foundations. Not because I'm a beauty snob (quite the opposite, I think there is a thrill in finding affordable products that deliver). The finish is always too dewy or too matte. As a makeup artist, I need the base to be flawless, or else the rest of the look will be a hot mess - I typically use Armani, Koh Gen Do, and RCMA. Again, not trying to be a snob, just illustrating that I'm really picky about my foundations. Also, there must be an ingredient in most drugstore foundations that makes my skin burn and breaks me out the next day so badly. I usually avoid drugstore foundations altogether.

So I approached The Ordinary foundations with some skepticism that they'd actually work. The serum foundation was ok for me, but the Full Coverage has really become a go-to for me. No burning, no breakouts, and a nice, natural skin-like finish. It also doesn't feel heavy at all, which I love. I think The Ordinary really did a nice job with this foundation.

I did a swatch video of all the shades I purchased, because I did have some trouble deciding from their site:

on 9/8/2017 3:39:00 PM

The yellow is slightly too yellow for my skin but the consistency and finish is as good as a premium brand...

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I own this foundation in 3 shades-1.2Y, 1.2YG, 2.0YG, 2.1P and 2.1Y. All 5 have yellow undertones to them, with the1.2 YG and 2.0YG shades having the most yellow to them, due to them having added gold accents to them And, out of the 4 colors mentioned, the only ones that stay true to color are 1.2Y, 1.2YG, and 2.0YG, and 2.0YG, while 2.1P and 2.1Y definitely oxidize for sure. I initially started with 2.1P, and even went on to order 2.1Y, however, due to neither of them being perfect matches for my medium skintone, due to how much they ended up oxidizing on me, I had to find much lighter shades to mix them with, which is how I ended up buying 1.2Y, 1.2YG and 2.0YG. Unfortunately, if you have a true medium toned complexion like I do, neither the 2.1P or 2.1Y, are truly suitable for anyone who is not super tan in complexion (which I am not). Because both 2.1P and 2.1Y both happen to come off much more yellow and quite darker in tone than what is shown on the Internet of both of these shades.

Shades 2.1P gives off a very yellowish, very brown look to my face that does pull orange in undertone quickly after application. and 2.1Y, gives off a very yellow, very tanned look, to my face, that pulls even more orange in tone quickly after application than 2.1P does! I have an undertone that sometimes pulls more pink, while sometimes my skin's undertone appears more peachy. Which is why, when it comes to buying foundations online, it is always such a really hard task. Within The Ordinary's Medium category of shades, it's unfortunate that there's only 2 shades offered. Because for a lot of people that have medium complexions, these two shades definitely will not be a perfect match for you at all!

The opening to the pumps on The Ordinary foundations stay with foundation on them. It's hard to avoid this due, to the way that the foundation comes out. So, that is definitely something to be aware of, which is why, I keep all of The Ordinary foundations that I have within the individual boxes that they came in.

Now, I have never had to have to wait a long time to get any of The Ordinary foundations that I have ordered at all, which was a great thing. There are currently 21 shades offered, however, please be aware, that finding a complete shade match may be impossible for quite a number of people, so having to mix more than one foundation shade to get ones perfect match is something that I can see many people having to do, just like me. Also, please be aware of the oxidation situation that is common to quite a lot of The Ordinary's Foundations.

Right off the bat, The Ordinary's Coverage foundation doesn't provide full coverage upon initial application. However, it can be built up to ones desired level of coverage, even full coverage. I have only tried this foundation with a foundation brush and not a beauty blender (or one of its dupes), a cosmetic wedge, or my fingers. With a brush, you can get fuller coverage, than if one were to use their fingers or a beauty blender instead. Oh and even though the Coverage version is supposed to give more coverage than the Serum version, I don't notice a huge difference between the two coverage wise at all.

When it comes to my skin, I have sensitive, dry-to-very dry, acne prone skin. Plus, I also suffer with seborrheic dermatitis on my face as well. I can say that that the use of a setting powder over this foundation is necessary. As, this foundation does not dry down to a matte finish, but instead has a finish that borders somewhat on being dewy, yet still looks natural. However, unfortunately, this foundation will transfer if not set well with powder, no matter your skintype.

The Ordinary Foundations have absolutely no scent to them at all. Also, I do not experience any really noticeable issues with them creasing or caking on me, however this may largely be due to my setting the foundation very well. And, I have not experienced any issues with this foundation causing lots of acne breakouts to erupt on my face at all, even though I have tried a lot of foundations have caused me to breakout constantly.

The Ordinary Foundations have become my go to foundations. As, I switch back and forth between the Full Coverage version and the Serum version, based upon my personal preference for the day or night. I think that any skintype can wear this foundation. Of course with any foundation, you have to set it well (with my powder of choice being the Ben Nye Banana Powder), for it to wear for a very long-time on the face, and for it to stay completely out and not transfer. If you happen to have oily or very oily skin, you will need to touch up with powder, or use an oil blotting sheet or sheets throughout the day, in order to keep your face as matte as possible for a very long time, until you take this foundation off. Because of my dry skintype, I set this foundation very well, and I don't find myself having to do any re-touches with powder throughout the day at all.

Personally, I plan to continue buying the Ordinary's foundations, because they happen to work well for me, I can adjust the shades to my personal liking on a daily basis, and due to their being very expensive, i can order several at one time, and still end up paying a very reasonable price overall. Personally, I would certainly recommend anyone giving this foundation a try, whether you are a teenager that's new to makeup, or a female that is of adult age as well. And, if you end up not liking it, you can always return it.

I did buy this foundation from off of the Deciem website. The foundation currently retails for $6.90 U.S. dollars. So, even though this foundation may be inexpensive, I do consider it to be of great quality!

on 8/25/2017 10:14:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought the 1.0 NS with the silver highlights. It didn't work as a foundation itself for me as I have a lot of redness to cover but it is AMAZING to mix with my UD Naked Skin foundation. It adds this perfect subtle highlight and lightens my foundation to the prefect shade. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this as a foundation additive, just a couple drops and boom gorgeous finish.

on 7/6/2017 11:50:00 AM

I used a foundation matcher to determine my shade (I wear C1 in MAC face & body, or NC 20). I was recommended shade 1.2 and i bought both the neutral and yellow tone.

These foundations are VERY full coverage. Granted, the shades were wayyyy to light for me, but when I applied with a beauty blender, they had a very "mask-like" finish. I'm oily and these made my skin look dry and old. :(

I am willing to try again if I can get the right shade. Will update this review then.

on 6/26/2017 5:24:00 PM

It makes me wonder if YouTube beauty gurus are paid to sell a product. I have tried to wear this foundation and every time I am disappointed. it transfers, it becomes patchy and it does not last more than a couple of hours. It looks horrendous on skin. Just a horrible foundation. This is the worst foundation I have ever tried. Regardless of its price I would still expect a semi decent foundation. Nope it is not decent at all. It's not even comparable to our "drug store" brands (us Australians don't use that terminology). It is not worth the price eventhough the price is cheap, that's how bad this stuff is.

Edit: ok girls and guys I tried a different approach for application. I used a silicone based primer I then used my real techniques brush to blend this product out instead of my beauty blender, I then used my Estee Lauder double wear powder on top of it. By doing this the foundation has lasted all day with out it breaking up or disappearing! Infact it looks lovely. It's not a foundation that you can't wear it on its own I believe the Estee Lauder dw powder is what changed this foundation into a wearable and actually decent foundation. For this reason I changed my vote from a 1 to a 3.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

First off, I waited soooooo long! Soooooo long, almost 3 months for this foundation. I have used this for 3 days now and I just can't deal with this foundation any longer. I was so heart broken on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time I tried it. I was expecting so much because Wayne Goss said so along with their skincare line that totally broke me out (that's another review). Now back to this foundation. I am an NC30-NC35. I got 3 shades because I thought, foundation (2.1Y), concealer/highlight shade (1.2Y) and a contour shade (3.2N). Let's just say I am glad I got two different shade of yellow undertone.

1.2Y beautiful shade really yellow but it's light. BUT this oxidises into a banana shade!

2.1Y this is actually an orange more so than a yellow! You will look like an ompaloompa (not sure if that's how it's spelt)

3.2N beautiful shade for contouring and bronzing until it goes muddy!

Primer used for 3 days: Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, MUF Step 1 smoothing, Jouer Antiblemish Primer

Setting Powder used for 3 days: RCMA no colour powder, MAC SF and MAC MSF

Setting Spray used for 3 days: Gerard Cosmetics Slay All day and Australis Matte spray

I used my fingers at first, then I feel so gross and finish it off with my Beauty Blender. I used a brush, yeah don't bother!

All combo failed! FAILED spectacularly!!!

Cons;
- settles to fine lines, does nothing for pores even with great primer, highlights texture! So unflattering to my skin. Reminded me of my experience with the KVD lock it foundation.
- it oxidise like no one's business!!!
- it last for 2hrs at most. I can't even blot and fix it because it just disappear and seperate in areas
- it is patchy with a non silicone primer
- what coverage??? You can't even layer this foundation more than twice to build coverage. Terrible mess!

Pro's;
- It didn't break me out
- good controlled pump
- Price is Ok. It's almost $13AUD and I got 3 of them so almost $40 wasted.
- Shade range is good, but like I said above, it oxidises and the 2.1Y is orange!!!!

This reminds me of a BB cream. But you probably get a better result with a BB cream. Not mature skin friendly. I am mad at this foundation as you can probably tell. I suffered 3 days of humiliating bad foundation day at work. Mind you, it's winter in Australia right now so I am combo and not that oily at the moment. If you have a younger skin with not many problematic facial issues then this foundation can possibly work well for you. But it's a big FAIL for me.

on 6/13/2017 9:39:00 AM

Waited so long for this but it was awful patchy hardly any coverage yuck

on 6/7/2017 2:41:00 PM

Was expecting good things from this. No.
Colour match was surprisingly good considering it was bought online (two slightly different shades), however it oxidises the instant it is out of the pump and goes a much darker orange shade. It is quite thick and one pump is enough for entire face, coverage is good and I didn't need concealer besides the usual undereye stuff.
But. Gathers horribly in hairline, it creases and settles instantly into the smallest lines, and separates into streaks by the end of the day (even using The Ordinary primer underneath). Adding a drop of oil to sheer it out on a less-makeup day just made it worse.

On checking makeup in daylight in my car at the end of the work day, I found it had entirely disappeared from my nose and round my mouth onto my chin, gutted. I'd been walking about at work with half a face on for who knows how long. I'm not even that messy of an eater that I'd had to wipe round my mouth at lunch, so god knows how it had vanished. There was a definite makeup/no makeup line and it just looked dreadful.

Tried different methods of application, with/without primer, and it just doesn't work for me. I really wish it had as the price and initial colour match is very good, but I definitely won't be buying this again. Shame. Might try mixing it with my usual MAC foundation to see what happens and use up the rest of the two bottles purchased.

My HG foundation is UD All Nighter so I already had low expectations of this product - and I was not disappointed. Despite being highly pigmented, it performed poorly. I use a Sigma flat top Kabuki brush to apply my foundation. This is so runny and covers nothing. I would compare this to a tinted moisturizer. After an hour my face was a shiny mess and I do not have oily skin. I used Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer and this still ran right off my face. The pump is nice but why no cap? The only good thing I can say about this is that it was cheap.