Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation

Filtered by age: 19-24
Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation
The Ordinary Coverage FoundationThe Ordinary Coverage FoundationThe Ordinary Coverage Foundation

2.9

Aqua (Water), Coconut Alkanes, Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Caprylyl Methicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Coco Caprylate/Caprate, Cetyl Diglyceryl Tris(Trimethylsiloxy)silylethyl Dimethicone, Sucrose Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Polysilicone-11, Tocopherol, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hectorite, Dimethicone/ Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Sodium Chloride, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain [ /-]: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Tin Oxide, Aluminum Hydroxide, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Mica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Background: oily, acne prone, redness

Pros:
- price
- shade range
- packaging (it has a pump!)
- nice consistency and easy to apply with sponge or brush
- light coverage; is buildable

Cons:
- never sets. even after powder, it still transfers (not sure if it’s because I’m oily skin?)
- does it keep oils at bay? Can’t say because it never set for me lol

Because it never sets, I won’t buy this again. Wish it worked out for me though because of the price and shade range!

on 3/17/2018 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love the packaging. Finish is nice.

Not really "full" coverage, more of a medium coverage. Has a weird smell. Transfer easily and do not stay for long.

Not really suitable for oily skin as my face gets really oily after a few hours.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I've pretty much copied and pasted sections of this onto my review of the Serum foundation just because I love them both so much. So don't be surprised if it sounds familiar haha.

This and the serum foundation are one of my absolute favourite foundations ever. The ease of using this product is absolutely unbeatable. I find I'm always reaching for this or the serum foundation when I want a quick and no fuss, idiot proof, natural foundation (which is most days). It's got everything I'm looking for: looks natural, covers and blends well, doesn't sink into lines or clumps around my nose and forehead and when it begins fading (as it inevitably will on my oily skin) it does so naturally. It's so quick and easy to apply as well, just a one or two minutes with my foundation brush or fingers when I'm lazy. Very minimal blending required.

In comparison to the Serum Foundation, this is obviously heavier coverage and the texture is thicker. It's still equally as easy to apply, but because the colour match isn't 100% accurate for me, I have to be more careful with the blending. I find I reach for this when i'm short on time and need good coverage quickly, whereas I tend to spend more time layering the serum foundation on.

Based on the other reviews, I think this foundation works best with a primer. Since I've got oily skin, I always use a primer anyway to help combat the oiliness no matter what foundation I'm wearing.

I've used this in England and Singapore, and this foundation works in both climates. It wears away a little more quickly in Singapore, but due to the humidity and heat, it's to be expected.

It's colour range isn't that great, I couldn't find one to be an exact match for my skin but the difference isn't obvious at all and it's easy to blend away the difference. It's so cheap that I ended up buying 2 colours and blending them together.

Would definitely repurchase this again! And again and again. I love the packaging, and the product and price are unbeatable.

on 12/29/2017 10:18:00 AM

For a person who has an oily skin like me, so far this product is so good because it has matte finish. The coverage was medium i think.. but it can be build to high coverage. The dissapoinment is, it transferrable easily.. when you wore it on a long time, it can be easily stick on your clothes or tissue or something and somewhat can be cakey.. but overall, like the title of this foundation, the coverage is good & it sets quickly on my skin.. & it can controls my oily skin well☺️👌

on 12/19/2017 12:18:00 PM

I had such high hopes for this foundation but it just didn't deliver.
The initial application was promising, it went on like a dream with smooth and even coverage. The colour was good, if a little dark (I chose 1.1N ). However after only about half an hour my skin tuned into an oil slick and within a couple of hours the majority of it had slid right off my face. I've never really had a problem with breakouts but after a few days my skin was awful. I know that sometimes you have to stick with a product for your skin to get used to it, which is exactly what I did, but there has been absolutely no change after nearly two months. I've since gone back to using trusty Revlon Colorstay and my skin has cleared up again.

on 12/6/2017 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I wanted to like this product. Honestly though, it wasn't terrible. It has a great range of shades and I was able to find a suitable one without ever trying it in person & just navigating through the shades on The Ordinary website. It's also very affordable. But I've tried better. This sorta oxidised on my skin (maybe I should've gotten a shade lighter, but the same tone) over time, didn't last very long on oilier areas of my face and most of all, wears terribly under sunscreen which is a big no for me. I know it has SPF15, but I've been trying to be diligent with sunscreen because I'm trying to quicken the fading time of my hyperpigmentation marks. This foundation got very cakey when worn over sunscreen. After that I only used this at night but I never ever go out at night anyway, and when I do I've already been out during the day so I would've applied the foundation in the morning so I still would've used sunscreen underneath. I ended up giving this away to my sister (whom I've been estranged with over the last year lol family issues - given to her via my mum) and that's how much I didn't need this foundation in my life. It's an okay foundation, but not the best. If you don't wear sunscreen underneath makeup and your skin isn't too oily, it could be alright for you though.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I was surprised how similar this foundation is to Estee Lauder Double Wear Light foundation. I have extremely dry skin, so both do initially feel quite drying as they settle. This foundation did feel fine though, getting a little dry toward the end of the day (happens with every foundation for me) I'd say it felt better than double wear. It's still not perfect for my skin type but none are so this was a pleasant surprise that it is only £5 and fared better than Estee Lauders which is way more expensive! I find the packaging really cute, I like the simplicity and although plastic can feel a little cheap, it makes it easier for traveling. And I love a pump! I apply all foundations with a damp real techniques sponge as it's best with my skin, the coverage with this is probably light-medium, but buildable. Overall, I'm impressed, especially for the price.

on 10/2/2017 6:55:00 PM

I was very excited to try this foundation. Coverage-wise, it's comparable to Estee Lauder Double Wear. It is quite full, but not FULL full. You will still need a concealer with this if you have scarring or hyperpigmentation, however, what I tend to do it make my own concealer from the foundation itself. I squirt out a bit into a little put and leave it open so the foundation dries out. I tend to do this before i go to bed, and in the morning the consistency has become thicker, like that of a concealer. I've done this with multiple foundations and it always works, and gives you a concealer that is the exact same shade as your foundation, because it IS your foundation, just thickened up.

Staying power: On oily skin, like mine, with no primer and no powder, this will stay on for about 4 hours until you look like a complete grease ball. If you blot with blotting sheets or some powder, it will stay on another 4 hours, but if you don't blot, it will slide off. I find this foundation doesn't ever set, it feels tacky if you touch it and it transfers very easily if there's no powder to keep it in place. With primer (I use their high adherence silicone primer), I find it stays on a slight bit longer, but it also tends to look better. And if I prep my skin well, use primer and blot a couple times or powder a couple times through the day, it will stay looking good for about 9 hours. Beyond that it just starts to disappear or too much has transferred off and it doesn't look good anymore.

Shade: I have pale skin with yellow undertones. I'm a part-time model but I have acne scarring, and I needed something to replace the Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation I had been using for years because it just didn't give enough coverage. I couldn't find a shade close enough to the 51 (Vanilla Clair) that I wore. I had got a bit tanned over summer so I got the shade 1.2Y, because it was the lightest yellow shade they have, but I found it slightly too dark. It works if you blend it a bit down your neck, and if the rest of your body isn't any paler than your face, but it will definitely not match me when my tan disappears. I'm going to try the 1.1N, since it's the next lightest that might work. It is annoying that they have 1.0 and 1.1 shades with pink and neutral undertones but the yellow undertones don't start until 1.2.

Application: I apply this with a Real Techniques sponge. It looks good with the sponge either wet or dry. I've tried applying this with a stippling brush and it somehow made it look really dry and not well blended, I don't know why that was. As for applying with fingers, given how full coverage this is, I don't manage to do a good enough blending job with just fingers.

Look/finish: Finish is always dewy on me unless I powder it. I find that for the time that it lasts, it does look good. It was important for me that it looked good in photography and studio lights and it does. It looks very natural, especially if you apply it on in two very light layers with a sponge. It looks good in day light as well.

Packaging: no complaints. I like foundations with pumps. I do wish the pump had some sort of cap, since little drops left on the nozzle can smear, but I can't complain, especially for the price. That said, I also have the Serum foundation from The Ordinary in the same shade, and the pump on that malfunctioned from the first use, even though it's the exact same packaging. It would seem some are faulty.

Overall, I'm kind of stuck with this foundation. I can't afford to buy high-end foundations yet, and so far I haven't found a foundation at this price point that is as full coverage as this, doesn't break me out, looks natural (if applied well) and gets me by in my modelling jobs. When The Ordinary comes out with something not so super-dewy, tacky-feeling and transfer-y, I will definitely try it.

on 9/22/2017 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is less liquidy than the serum foundation. It has twice as much coverage, that being medium to almost full. I consider full coverage something that could cover a tattoo. It also oxides darker and to a different undertone than it should be like the serum foundation (see pictures). The finish is dewy, yet it clings to texture and dry patches, making your skin look kind of bad. You will need to set it because it doesn't really set/dry down. Even though I set it with powder, after 2 hours, it starts to slide around my face and transfer so easily. I don't consider my skin oily, but oil comes out though the day like anyone. So that's a huge downside.

I will rebuy this because it's cheap and appropriate for running errands. I have acne 'scars' and this is better then nothing. I don't like to use expensive foundation when i'm getting some eggs :)

It's worth trying out. I recommend this over the serum foundation because it covers better, but many people seem to like the serum foundation. Maybe pick up both.

Before and after pictures on blemished skin shown in my video and/or on my blog.

on 9/10/2017 10:08:00 AM

Frankly one of the worst foundations I've ever worn. I bought shade 2.1Y from the Deciem Covent Garden store and thankfully its under £6 because its going straight in the bin!

The formula is very thin and watery for a high coverage foundation. Somewhat equivalent in texture to the NYX total control drops or Loreal Magic nude liquid. Pigment wise, in comparison to other drugstore price, full coverage foundations like Milani 2 in 1 or Loreal total cover, this falls severely short. When swatched on the back of the hand this appears pigmented, but once applied (with brush or sponge) the coverage is poor and very patchy.

The worst part of this foundation is that once applied, it instantly sinks into all the fine lines and drier areas on your face you never even knew you had (not neccesarily "dry skin" - just an area a little drier than normal). It amplifies any existing skin issues and even adds more! Even if I used a blurring primer (eg. Benefit Porefessional or Garnier 5 sec Blur), all I had to do was smile once about 30 mins after application and suddenly the foundation had moved and created smile lines where there were none before. If you want to use this foundation, be sure to be expressionless! Also it exaggerates pores by sinking into them and then oxidising at a different rate to the rest of your face. Oxidation is also another problem I had, it changed colour from a light medium yellow tone to a warm orange within 20 mins of application with the addition of an ashy white cast.

When I attempted to mix this with other foundations (just to see if I could salvage SOME USE from it, it overpowered their formulas and clung to skin in its usual horrid way. I did a half face of milani and half of this for comparison and the result was shocking! Im only 24 and this made me look older, giving my combination skin texture, patchy coverage, chalkiness and crepey finish where the milani formula gave a smooth and youthful look. I repeated the experiment with Loreal total cover and event the Bourjois healthy mix foundation and the result was the same.

The formula never really sets or dries down and transfers even 1 hour after application. Now, when this transfers it doesn't just smudge a little, it completely comes off! It starts getting patchy and oily around 2 hours after wearing on a cloudy, windy day, i cant imagine this would wear well in warm weather or even at all on oily skinned people.

I don't recommend application with a sponge as the thin formula means your sponge will simply soak it up. Even with a kabuki brush, a completely even coverage could not be achieved.

I tried every which way to love this foundation, with different moisturisers, different primers, mixing it with other foundations, different setting powders and different application techniques but theres just no getting away from the fact that this is poorly formulated. Its really awful. Like I said, Im glad its only £5.90 because its going straight in the bin. The only reason I can see for this being sold out and popular is because Deciem dont have as many bad reviews on their page as here, which is suspicious....

UPDATE: DECIEM refused to publish my honest review because they "cannot verify that i purchased the product from" them.

I love some of Deciem's skincare formulations but this has to be one of the worst makeup products I have ever tried.