Deciem The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
Deciem The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%
The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%

3.7

Water, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Potassium Citrate, Arginine, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/leaf Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm not much of an acid user so for me, this actually worked really well. The texture of my skin got a lot smoother after using this every other day. I like that it's mild because I live in Australia where the sun is very strong. Some of the pitted scars I have already look so much better after a couple of weeks of use. My skin is less congested too. I like it a lot and will keep using it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

Another ordinary strike. Did nothing. Was looking to replace Sunday Riley good genes.

on 5/31/2017 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Wasn't 100% sure what rating to give this product, as I'm still on the fence about what, exactly, my expectations were. Disclaimer: skincare noob talking here, unless you count LRP Effaclar Duo as a serum, this would count as my first one. So apologies if my ignorance shines through in some places. I only bought this because I didn't want to jump into the 10% lactic acid serum straight away (also from the Ordinary) just in case I might react badly or find it too harsh. Wanted to be all smart and build things up slowly. I've been using this daily for a little over a month now.

I have hyperpigmentation from acne on my cheeks and chin (cyclical with periods). I have blackheads on my nose. I'm not poreless but I wouldn't say my pores are particularly large. I was looking for an AHA to get rid of my marks and at the time there was no glycolic acid serum on ASOS so I went with this. My skin type is normal to dry, and I'd say my skin texture is actually pretty good.

My expectations were for it to reduce the appearance of my marks slightly and perhaps even out my skin tone, maybe solve refine my skin texture. I didn't really know how capable 5% lactic acid would be at doing that though but again, it was just so my skin wouldn't get overwhelmed with a stronger product.

The colour of this serum is a pale orange/pink. It has a sweet medicinal smell, it's not overly runny or thick and sinks into the skin pretty well but it can be slightly sticky. I apply approximately 5 drops, concentrating on the lower half of my face.

So, the results?
- I did not notice any reduction in the appearance of my marks.
- I noticed a slight improvement in my skin texture.
- Skin seemed more even toned and less red.
- It seems to have reduced breakouts?

The 3rd and 4th points were particularly striking. Usually during my time of the month I experience redness around my nose and mouth, and may look a little 'flushed'. A couple of days before I was due I got too lazy to apply this and noticed how red my skin was! Just a few hours after applying the serum all the redness was gone and my skin had returned to its' original state! It was doing more than I thought.

I also noticed that I did not break out on my cheeks all throughout using this product, though I did get a couple of zits on my chin nearing the time I was due. This is odd for me as I am always getting a new occasional zit here and there. The only time I got a spot on my cheek was in the couple of days that I wasn't bothered to use this. Go figure!

My overall impression of this product, based solely on user experience is that it would be perfect for someone with flawless or near flawless skin who doesn't really have acne issues, but just wants a mild exfoliant to even out skintone and refine any texture. I don't think the percentage of lactic acid is enough as a 'treatment' for any hyperpigmentation/scarring issues.

With regards to preventing the breakouts, it could be this product, but I am a little skeptical that it may just be a fluke as this is not normally cited as something AHAs do. Again, I'm not that informed on this subject and the only way to really know is through further testing, which I will update on in the future.

A great first impression from the Ordinary - I have already upgraded to the 10% Lactic Acid Serum and have been using it for around 2 days now. I have not broken out from either product and am hoping the 10% formulation will reduce my marks.

Oh, and one last thing - I'd like to thank this product for finally allowing me to pull off the 'concealer with no foundation' look!