Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

3.4

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Very serviceable for the price (six bucks and change!) The staff member at the Deciem store tried to steer me towards the 2.0 N, but I opted for the 2.0 Y/O--the extra warmth adds a bit of life to my aging NC 20/25 complexion. During my first few forays into wearing this, I used too much (a full pump) and this led to too much fuzzy patchiness. Half a pump, used over a good moisturizer and sunscreen, works a treat. I dot it near the centre of my face, blend it with warm fingers and then buff in the excess with a dense brush. Wears very nicely. I'm not a foundation sort of person, but the light, glowy coverage of this makes it the perfect winter complexion evener and far outdoes my monstrously expensive Vapour Atmosphere Foundation Stick. Advice: invest in the pipette (90 cents from Deciem). The pump on this leaks and makes every deployment of the product messy and potentially lethal to walls and fabrics.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have always had trouble finding a foundation that would not breakdown and disappear because my skin is so oily. I don't like heavy coverage, I prefer a lighter foundation. My skin tone is NC20-25 depending on how tan I am. This foundation is 1.2 YG and is a really good match for me. The serum foundation is very light, spreads easily, and I can layer it a bit for my problem areas. It stays put, doesn't move around. I don't get cakey or cracked around the sides of my nose. Towards the end of the day, I will have to touch it up a bit if I plan on going out after work, but that is not too bad for me, considering most foundations just disappear on my oil slick face. LOL!

I always use sunscreen, and this product works particularly well on top of The Ordinary's Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 with Antioxidants. I will definitely buy this again, and I going to try their Coverage foundation to see how it works as a concealer for my dark spots and acne scars.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have very oily, yet dehydrated skin. Foundations geared towards oily skin are often too dry and cakey (Fenty and Shiseido’s Syncro Skin), so I’m branching out to dewy finishes. I’m really happy with this! It’s not just “good for the price”, it’s pretty damn remarkable. This foundation is scentless and has a very thin consistency. Despite its claims of being low coverage, I find that it provides a solid medium coverage on my discoloured skin. It’s very blendable, and the longevity is amazing. I can go 12 hours in this with minimal fading. I don’t expect to stay matte in this of course, because this is supposed to be a dewy foundation. The pump is terrible; I’ve accidentally squirted foundation onto my clothes because it simply isn’t meant for something as fluid as this. It also doesn’t come with a cap, so travelling with this is gonna be another headache.

Highly pigmented, a little goes a long way and it is very easy to apply and provides great coverage.

I do not wear foundation on a daily basis. Only on certain occasions (weddings and other events that go on all day) will I wear foundation to keep shine at bay. This product is fine for those purposes and very affordable, but I won’t be repurchasing because without fail I will end up with clogged pores and minor breakouts (whiteheads and blackheads) the next day. Nothing so bad that I can’t manage it since I use it so rarely, but I would never use this everyday.

When travelling I recommend taping the top to secure it in the “closed” position as I’ve found the product tends to leak because the cap isn’t very secure and can easily be turned to “open” inside your make up bag.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is a nice foundation. I enjoy the finish(although if you're super oily you might not like it much), blends nicely, and evens out my skin. It's a good every-day foundation, and if I had good skin it would be my holy grail. Its also a really good shade match for me. My cons would be that it doesn't look great after a day of wearing it (without touch-ups), and often its very liquid texture can soak itself right into my sponge. Also, the packaging isn't great. The nozzle(?) gets clogged easily which can make your foundation projectile shoot itself all over(legit happened to me once. Medium dark foundation. In a line. In my WHITE bathroom).
Overall, I like it enough to want to buy it again when I run out.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is a light coverage foundation. I love the amount of coverage it gives for daily use. The consistency is very liquidy and careful when extracting the product because it might spray everywhere. Best application for me is using a dense brush or a large stippling brush. Don't use sponge/beauty blenders because the sponge might absorb most of the product. It can last around 7-8 hours on my skin (no touch up).

Shade: 2.0YG
Consistency: Very runny
Coverage: Medium leaning towards light
Finish: Semi-matte/matte

I initially really, really liked this foundation. It blends out very smoothly on the skin, and looks incredibly natural despite it drying down pretty matte. Could be the (extremely subtle) gold glitter that helps give my skin the added glow. The first few times I wore it out, I felt like it held up well and didn't crease or settle into lines as well.

However, I've started to notice that it oxidises throughout the day. It's a shame because the initial shade is spot on, but it gets greyer and duller as I go about my day. Because 2.0YG has yellow undertones, it seems like the yellow also intensifies, so my face eventually has a slight tint of sickliness to it. Not a good look lol. It also began to settle into my pores more, despite me not changing any of my skincare or complexion makeup. I read an older review on here that contains the exact same complaints, so I don't think it's just my foundation in particular being weird.

Right now, I mix it in with a BB cream that's a just little too light for me to wear alone (Klairs Illuminating BB), and the two look great together. Still, it's a shame the foundation doesn't work fine on its own.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought the shade 1N and it’s a pretty good match to my NC10 skin. This reminds me of MAC’s waterweight foundation (that didn’t go fair enough for me to wear). Light coverage that gives no texture on the skin. It’s enough to cover redness and even out skin tone and looks very natural. Wears well on my slightly dry skin. And completely unscented. A pleasant surprise for the price.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought this in 1.0N, very fair neutral. I worried that it was too light, but I dot it on my (moisturized) face and blend with a foundation brush. I have been using a BB cream for several years, but have found that my early-mid 40s require a touch more coverage, This gives me a little more coverage but it's still my skin you notice, not the foundation. I will say that because I have extremely dry skin, I use a lot of moisturizer (with SPF) before I apply this, because one day I didn't and I felt like it settled into my lines. I was really stunned at the quality of this foundation given its giveaway price.

I have oily/combo aging skin. I bought this on a whim when I placed a Deciem order based on raves on Cafe. I had to guess at a shade, which was a mistake because I ended up with a way-too-light color, but I love its texture, its application and its finish. Since the shade is too light for me, I have been mixing it with other foundations I have that are too dark, and it definitely improves the appearance and wear of the foundation it’s mixed with. I wish I had a counter near me where I could actually get my shade because i have been really impressed with this product. And you can’t beat the price — and it comes in a pump bottle!