Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Well, living overseas has prevented me from trying any of the Ordinary products sooner. However, when I heard family from Canada was coming to visit, I decided to make a plan. I have dry, fine skin and don't like high coverage. I purchased shades 2.0yg and 2.1y (olive Skin, usually nc30/35). It is autumn where I am, so I mixed a little of both and used my fingers to apply. I did not use a primer, as I rarely do. I think this foundation is great. I know many people have issues with the finish or consistency, but this just works terrific for my skin type. Add in the low price, and it's a winner for me. I don't like the pump, so for 90 cents, I bought the droppers.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The color matched my skin really well, but it certainly didn’t apply like a serum. It was extremely matte and drying to the skin. That said, it works a lot better once I moisturized with day cream. I wouldn’t repurchase because there are other foundations that don’t require moisturizer beforehand.

I really really like this <3

It's got good medium coverage. I have shade 2.1 Y, and it is almost yellow enough for me, which I love. I've so far not been able to find a foundation yellow enough for my undertone and this is the closest I've ever gotten.

I love the texture, it so light, it blends like a dream, and just meshes with your skin, makes it look so smooth. You know how when you're 1cm away from a mirror, you can sometimes see there's foundation on? Yeah, you can't see this one, it's practically invisible.

I did notice however, that it transfers more easily than my other foundations. Nothing horrible, but keep that in mind and avoid touching your face. Additionally, if I added two layers, it can sink into fine lines just a Teensy Tiny bit. Barely even noticeable unless you're 1cm away from a mirror, but it's probs better to use a light layer if you have lots of line on your face.

I feel like the best application method is to put it on with a brush, then tap it in with a sponge to get rid of streaks.

Overall: would definitely recommend if you want a lightweight, medium coverage foundation.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I am a fan of this line, and have found several products to be staples, (retiniods, vit C, HA.) I like the singular ingredients for mixing and matching purposes, the clinical packaging and of course, the extremely reasonable price point.

I ordered this foundation the second it came out, in 2.1 y. (MAC C3/C4/NC 40)The shade was truly peachy, and borderline unwearable. I ordered a 2.0 neutral as a mixer, and was caught in the multi week wait.

I have had both shades and tried mixing then for several weeks now. I just can't get it to work perfectly. The 2.0 is very light, and I'm still coming up with a shade that's too peach.

The coverage is light to medium, Demi-matte and pretty. It does cling to dry patches, but that's what foundations do. It's a water-like consistency with a potentially dangerous messily squirting pump. It takes a bit of work to get the makeup to settle in and stop moving around the surface of the face. I've tired the RT face brush, the BB sponge, and the Clariosnic foundation head. The most effective tool, in my mind, is the BB. This is a good, not great foundation at a great price.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

SELECTED SHADE: 2.1Y
METHOD OF APPLICATION: sponge
SKIN TYPE: combination

PROS

- lightweight
- blends easily
- satin finish
- light to medium coverage

CONS

- doesn’t sit well on top of skin
- wears off quickly
- settles into fine lines

COMMENTS: Lightweight, satin finish foundation with light to medium coverage. Blends effortlessly. If you're anything other than dry, expect to blot. This will not control oil, nor does it claim to. My isssue with this is upon application, it immediately makes my skin look textured. It doesn’t sit well on top of the skin no matter what primer I use. It looks blotchy the moment I apply it. It also tends to wear off rather quickly, but a good setting spray will help this issue a lot (I use Blue Marble). It settles into my fine lines within a couple hours, as well. For the price, I suppose it could’ve been worse. It’s a pass for me, though.

Will not repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I finally received my foundation yesterday and couldn't wait to try it out!
In the last few years my skin has changed a lot mainly due to hormonal changes, and I now rarely use foundation because I find it can make my face look greasy and my pores look enlarged. If I do use a base, it's MAC Studiofix. I like the finish of a liquid foundation though; The Ordinary's foundations have had such great reviews that I thought they were worth trying at the price.
Yesterday was incredibly warm so a good day to really put this product to the test. I used it over Clinique's DDML and La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF 50; no primer.
Apparently each of The Ordinary's shades suit a range of about three skin shades, and the Wayne Goss comparison guide online says this shade is suitable for MAC NC30 to NC42. I'm MAC C40 and my Ordinary shade, 2.1Y (Medium with yellow undertones) matched my skin very well.
I used one pump applied with Real Techniques' Expert Face Brush (as recommended by Sali Hughes of The Guardian) all over my face. Perfect application, and my skin looked completely flawless. To my eyes the coverage was medium-to-full rather than sheer, but I think one pump was too much. As a serum formulation it worked very well with my BB Serum Concealer. I set the lot with Clinique loose powder in Invisible Blend, and went about my day.
I spent some time in a very hot car driving in the sun and generally outdoors. A few hours later my face looked slightly dewy but the foundation hadn't broken up on my forehead and my pores looked OK. 8 hours after application it did look a little worse for wear, but it had been very hot and I hadn't repowdered all day. My face looked darker at the end of the day; not sure if that was the product oxidizing or if I'd caught some sun.
I'll experiment with less product, over primer, etc. and update accordingly, but at this early stage I think this is an excellent product and am very pleased with my purchase. I also love the price! I'd rather spend £6 than £30 on a product I might only use twice a month.

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I'm really enjoying this foundation. It is, as the name suggest, very light and runny. It blends in effortlessly. I normally use my fingers to blend in foundation since most of them can look cakey on me, but I can use fingers, brushes, or a sponge with this one. The coverage is medium. Definitely more than a tinted moisturizer or MAC and MUFE face and body, but less than something like NARS Sheer Glow (which is medium–full for me). I use less than a pump, it spreads very well.

The colour match on me is great! I use 3.0Y and am a NC42-44 in MAC. Again, I rarely find a perfect colour match (which is why I bought this in 3 colours!) but got lucky with this one and 3.0Y blends in seamlessly. They have a fairly broad colour range, though I think they need a couple more colours beyond their current darkest shade. I use 3.1Y on my cheekbones for a summer bronze, looks lovely.

Once applies, it really does look like second skin. One thing though, since this foundation doesn't have much body to it by itself, I think skin prep is important. If you have dry skin, make sure you moisturize well so that your skin glows. If you have oilier skin, I still recommend the moisturizing and then using a mattifying primer where you need it. Some parts of my face are very oily (nose, cheeks, forehead) but I'm also prone to dry spots and flaking around my mouth. This foundation does not control oil per se, but it doesn't make matters worse either. A primer and a bit of powder will go a long way. It does not catch on dry spots or make my flakey. I use MUFE Step 1 mattifying primer, works like a charm. Also, I have extremely clog-prone skin and this does not clog my pores or break me out!! I think the ingredients are top notch.

The only thing holding my back from calling this my HG foundation is that by the end of the day it gets a teeny bit cakey on my upper lip and chin. I think this is fixable though and with some practice, I expect I'll be able to avoid that minimal cakiness as well. (Note that I like a really natural, undetectable finish.)

As for packaging, I'm glad it has a pump. I initially wished the bottle was glass but a heavy plastic is far more durable and travel friendly.

Honestly, I must say this this is brilliant, even regardless of price. So give it a try! If you like a natural finish and a versatile foundation, this is it! This will not give you full coverage so if that's what you seek, maybe try the Coverage Foundation. Given my great experience with the Serum foundation, I have high hopes for that one too.

UPDATE:
Still liking this foundation but it did go from love to like. Why? The colour. This could be categorized as user error but their yellow shades are _extremely_ yellow. I have terrible lighting in my room, so I didn't notice till I was applying this in a car with plenty of sunlight. It blends in but it's wayyy too yellow. I'd have to buy the red shade to mix together (they don't have a 3.0N). Such a shame, the depth is perfect but just off on the undertone. Note that I have a olive/golden-y complexion, I always buy yellow toned foundations and have actually never come across one that was too yellow. I do think 3.0Y will be too yellow for many people unfortunately.
Aside from that, still hasn't broken me out. Wears well, looks good. I just apply very lightly around my mouth to prevent cakiness (I use a little colour correction underneath due to darkness). Downgraded to 4 lippies.

Another issue: the pumps are low quality. I'm certain they'll be changing this soon so I'm not penalizing them for it.

I haven't ordered the 3.0R shade (out of stock right now anyway), instead I'm going to try using this as a yellow corrector for my MUFE water blend foundation which is too pink. hahaha, undertones are hard to nail down I suppose!