Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Black

3.9

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I am giving it a 3 because I have not found a good shade. However for the price, i use 2 or 3 different shades and mix them up to get one closer to my skin tone. I think it is light to medium coverage based on how much you apply. As I use heavy color correcting in dark orange and red, I need at least medium coverage. If I use the same amount that I would typically use for products such as Maybelline FIT Me, I only achieve light coverage so I need to use literally twice as much product for the same coverage with 2-3 layers. In the end am not so sure if it is truly worth the hype or i should just go back to FIT ME. I am giving it another go with a second batch so we will see. I have used it primarily in winter and now it is kinda starting to get slightly warmer (between 0 - 5, am in Sweden), so i will need to decide when it is above 10 degrees. Worth a shot nonetheless.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I've pretty much copied and pasted this review with the Cover Foundation because I love them both so much, so if it sounds familiar don't be surprised haha.

This is one of my absolute favourite foundations ever. The ease of using this product is absolutely unbeatable. I find I'm always reaching for this or the serum foundation when I want a quick and no fuss, idiot proof, natural foundation (which is most days). It's got everything I'm looking for: looks natural, covers and blends well, doesn't sink into lines or clumps around my nose and forehead and when it begins fading (as it inevitably will on my oily skin) it does so naturally. It's so quick and easy to apply as well, just a one or two minutes with my foundation brush or fingers when I'm lazy. Very minimal blending required.

In comparison to the Cover Foundation, this is lighter and has a more watery and runny formula (think MAC Face and Body). Even though it is a lighter coverage, it's easy to layer and get the coverage you want, and it's versatile enough to get a good solid medium coverage out of this. It feels light on the skin, and since I'm more into natural coverage, I prefer this over the Cover foundation (though I love and regularly use both).

Based on the other reviews, I think this foundation works best with a primer. Since I've got oily skin, I always use a primer anyway to help combat the oiliness no matter what foundation I'm wearing.

I've used this in England and Singapore, and this foundation works in both climates. It wears away a little more quickly in Singapore, but due to the humidity and heat, it's to be expected.

It's colour range isn't that great, I couldn't find one to be an exact match for my skin but the difference isn't obvious at all and it's easy to blend away the difference. It's so cheap that I ended up buying 2 colours and blending them together.

Would definitely repurchase this again! And again and again. I love the packaging, and the product and price are unbeatable.

I really really like this <3

It's got good medium coverage. I have shade 2.1 Y, and it is almost yellow enough for me, which I love. I've so far not been able to find a foundation yellow enough for my undertone and this is the closest I've ever gotten.

I love the texture, it so light, it blends like a dream, and just meshes with your skin, makes it look so smooth. You know how when you're 1cm away from a mirror, you can sometimes see there's foundation on? Yeah, you can't see this one, it's practically invisible.

I did notice however, that it transfers more easily than my other foundations. Nothing horrible, but keep that in mind and avoid touching your face. Additionally, if I added two layers, it can sink into fine lines just a Teensy Tiny bit. Barely even noticeable unless you're 1cm away from a mirror, but it's probs better to use a light layer if you have lots of line on your face.

I feel like the best application method is to put it on with a brush, then tap it in with a sponge to get rid of streaks.

Overall: would definitely recommend if you want a lightweight, medium coverage foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is so much better than the coverage one in terms of texture and staying power. This is much more watery than the coverage foundation but only a tad less coverage than the other. To be honest, it was easy for the other one to look cakey or “makeup-ish” so I only used little dots every time, maybe that’s why I think the coverage is the same. But the serum foundation feels better on spreading , also there’s less worry that it’d look unnatural. I ordered 1.1NS which has silver highlights in it. I noticed a slight sheen to it comparing to 1.2N but that’s all. Also a tiny bit paler, which is lighter than my nc15-20. I think 1.1NS would be suitable for nc10 or N10. Dried down to semi matte and it covers my pores beautifully.
However oil control is a big no. I’m oily in summer and I look greasy by the end of the day. Using oil control primer helped a lot unlike the coverage foundation where there’s no hope at all. In winter when my skin is good this is perfect. But when my skin starts to flake I would reach out to other more hydrating products. I do not see how I can use it alone as a foundation. Overall it’s a good product given it’s price and color range, good coverage and very beautiful finish, but touch ups are necessary for oily skin people

Well, I have oily dehydrated flaky skin. Even though I set it with a mattifying powder, I still became a oil slick within a few hours. Coverage is decent. Natural, nah not really. I generally prefer powder foundations so would stick to that instead!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I happen to own both The Ordinary's Serum Foundation and their Full Coverage Foundation as well. I just switch back and forth between the two based upon my individual preference for the day or night(whenever I choose to wear it). The Serum Foundation provides a lot of coverage, more than I actually expected. I can can actually build up the Serum foundation to get medium-to full coverage, even though it is supposed to provide less coverage than The Ordinary's Coverage foundation. This foundation has a very liquidy texture, the very same as MAC's Face and Body Foundation. However, they are definitely not twins when it comes to foundations. The Serum foundation glides onto ones skin very easily, and does give off the most natural finish that I've ever seen. And, the shades that I have it in in the Serum foundation are 2.1Y and 1.2YG. 2.1Y goes on medium yellow, but then it quickly oxidizes to a very orangey tan color, which doesn't look natural on me, at all. Which is why, I got the 1.2YG to use to combine with it, in order to get my perfect match. For reference I have been shade matched to both NC & NW30 shades in MAC.

Even though there are currently 21 shades to choose from, the actual shades offered aren't the best, so quite a number of people will need to mix foundation shades in order to get their perfect match. Oh and I don't see any real noticeable difference between the shades in the Serum foundation and the same corresponding shades in the Coverage foundation.

I have sensitive, dry-to-very dry, acne prone skin. Plus, I also suffer with seborrheic dermatitis on my face. I apply this foundation with a foundation brush, and not a beauty blender, foundation wedges, or my fingers. And, I get a very seamless finish to my makeup, and I don't experience any creasing or caking. Now, this foundation must be set well with powder, because it gives off a satiny finish, and it will unfortunately very noticeably transfer if not set well with powder.

All skintypes can get away with using this foundation, as long as you make sure to powder it well to set it. However, if you have oily or very oily skin, you will need to touch up this foundation with powder or use an oil blotting sheet in order to keep your face as shine free as possible until you take it off. Now, if you have very dark pigmentation on your face and/or lots of breakouts, you will most definitely need to use a concealer with this foundation for sure. However, I use it without concealer, and it works pretty well for me.

Before picking a shade, please understand that these foundations start to oxidize quickly after you apply them. The Medium shade range, I will say is not truly reflective of medium skintones. So, if you are someone that falls in the medium category like I do, please know that the colors offered within the medium category, will not cut it for most people. Also, even though the bottle looks quite small, it does come with 1 oz. of product inside, which is the normal size that most foundations come in. Now, I did buy this foundation off of the Deciem website, where it retails for $6.70 U.S. dollars, and I actually received it within a very short amount of time. I didn't have to incur any long wait at all.

Now, I don't see any major difference between wearing the Serum foundation with or without primer, which is why, for the most part, I don't wear it with anything underneath it. If it's for a special occasion then I will apply a little bit of prime underneath, but on an ordinary basis, I don't use such at all on my face, and my makeup still stay's looking good for a very long time on my face. Oh and because this product has a lot of silicone derivatives in it, using a lotion or cream underneath that also has silicone(s) in it, and then possibly a sun protection lotion that has silicone(s) in it, and then a primer which has silicone(s) in it, is what is going to cause the foundation to actually wear away quickly and end up not lasting long on their face as well. The skin is just being layered with silicone laden products, and it is just too much for the face, which is where I see quite a number of people going wrong with this foundation. To get the best finish and the longest wear out of this foundation, just applying it to a bare face, really works the best and then setting it well, definitely will provide the best outcome with this foundation as well as the The Ordinary's Coverage Foundation as well.

My biggest con with the Deciem foundations is that there's not a single shade that they offer that completely matches my skin tone, so mixing foundation shades is a must, but it is tedious to do everytime I desire to wear this foundation, which is why, I can say that I probably won't be re-purchasing the Deciem foundations anymore, because I have found a foundation that I like much better and do not have to mix shades in order to get my perfect color match and that is the LA. Colors Truly Matte Foundation.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I feel like this is exactly the same as the coverage foundation, except slightly more sheer and less dewy.
The coverage one is pretty wet-looking.
It looks quite natural and a little goes a long way. I'm an NC25, armani 4.5 is my most perfect match and with this I'm between 1.2N and 2.0N. I could wear either one, 1.2 looks slightly more pale but also more natural.

Pros:
- Price is excellent, really affordable
- Packaging is nice and minimal
- Packaging has a hygienic pump
- Shade range is lovely

Cons:
- Packaging is plastic.
- It's more matte than the one that's supposed to be semi-matte. BUT that makes it look more natural.
- Not transfer-proof

I have been using Revlon colorstay for several years but found that they have no light-medium yellow undertone shades...all were too pink or too gray on my skin. I love everything else about Revlon Colorstay other than that it may clog my pores (uncertain).

I waited 6 weeks for this foundation since I ordered it with the coverage foundation. Since the price was so low and I was not sure about my shade, I ordered a couple of different shades. I'm in my early 30's and have combination, acne-prone, sensitive asian skin. I've been using some mild acids and retinols to get rid of hyperpigmentation which has resulted in some dry patches. I apply minimal base, that is, I don't use primer, concealer, powder, setting spray, or bronzer/highlighter. I like to keep things simple and expect my foundation to cover my imperfections, look natural, and be long lasting.

Pros: inexpensive, good packaging, great colour for yellow undertone skin, silky skin-like finish.

Cons: Oxidized after 3 hours, all the foundation on my nose disappeared, forehead and chin had foundation clumped up into patches, foundation settled into lines and made dry patches more obvious. Does not cover acne (will need concealer).

So I tried it again with the ordinary high adherence primer and had the same results + some clogged pores. Disappointed but glad the return policy is very good and the price was cheap. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I ordered this end April and just received 1 of 9, the rest are still pending shipment.
The first that has arrived is the serum 1.2YG. It's a perfect match for my NC20 skin. I don't see any gold shimmer but it can look very slightly yellow. This isn't a problem as I'm quite yellow being Asian.
The key to this foundation is proper moisturising. Although the consistency is watery, it somehow dried to a matte finish. I set it with my hour glass ambient powder in incandescent light. It's very beautiful and skin like. It's really my skin but better. I've tried using my fingers and the real techniques sponge and I have to say, using my fingers is a lot better. I use less and have a higher coverage. Takes me 10 seconds Vs a minute using the sponge.
It hasn't completely covered my acne scarring but I dab some Estee Lauder concealer on light warm medium and I'm good to go.
This lasts quite a good few hours. I've worn it for 6 hrs and it hasn't caked or smudged or melted. Given that it's 16 degrees in Melbourne, it's doing great.
I'm waiting for the rest to come and I'll add on to this review.
Totally worth it for the price. Very pigmented and it doesn't feel like you have makeup on. The wait is long though. I ordered mine from Victoria Health.