Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Brown

3.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am in the U.K and waited eagerly for 3 weeks for this foundation. I chose two colours and both shades were fine for me. Sadly, that is where it ends as the foundation itself was so disappointing. I have tried it twice, with and without primer and with my fingers and a beauty blender, both times, it just clings to pores and sits in any fine lines or dry areas I have. It also disappears in areas like my chin and around nose within a few hours. I do have dry skin, but find this needs a slight powder down in areas and I always lightly powder any foundation. I looked older and at 51, this is something I don't want to do. I don't think this likes being powdered as it quickly looked 'cakey' . It also doesn't take blusher or bronzer very well. I had to apply twice the amount I normally do, which was weird and I wonder if it's because it's full of silicones. I didn't feel "me" wearing it. I really didn't like it and as I knew I'd never wear it again, they're in the bin. Definitely over hyped. Back to my beloved other foundations.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I don't hate it. I don't love it. It's a light- medium coverage depending on how you apply it. Brushes aren't the best idea because it streaks like crazy. It's very liquidy. It's dewy so will need to be set because it will slide all over. Although it's dewy, it somehow intensifies micro dry patches or skin texture. It sort of clings to it which doesn't look good. I have normal skin, but after 2 hours, it starts to slide around and transfer so easily. I have the shade 1.2 N and it oxidizes to be definitely darker and definitely not neutral in undertone like it should be. Almost pink leaning. Check my pictures added to see what I mean. For reference, my skin is NC15-20. Very neutral undertone though.

If you have nice skin and just want to even it out more while giving yourself a glow, this is ideal. If you rarely wear foundation but would like to have some around, best to have an affordable from The Ordinary.

Before and after look on my blemishes skin is shown in video and/or on my blog.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

SELECTED SHADE: 2.1Y
METHOD OF APPLICATION: sponge
SKIN TYPE: combination

PROS

- lightweight
- blends easily
- satin finish
- light to medium coverage

CONS

- doesn’t sit well on top of skin
- wears off quickly
- settles into fine lines

COMMENTS: Lightweight, satin finish foundation with light to medium coverage. Blends effortlessly. If you're anything other than dry, expect to blot. This will not control oil, nor does it claim to. My isssue with this is upon application, it immediately makes my skin look textured. It doesn’t sit well on top of the skin no matter what primer I use. It looks blotchy the moment I apply it. It also tends to wear off rather quickly, but a good setting spray will help this issue a lot (I use Blue Marble). It settles into my fine lines within a couple hours, as well. For the price, I suppose it could’ve been worse. It’s a pass for me, though.

Will not repurchase.

This foundation clings to ALL of my dry patches and makes me look super cakey. I really wanted this to like because of how affordable it is :/

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The color matched my skin really well, but it certainly didn’t apply like a serum. It was extremely matte and drying to the skin. That said, it works a lot better once I moisturized with day cream. I wouldn’t repurchase because there are other foundations that don’t require moisturizer beforehand.

For seven dollars The Ordinary's Serum Foundation is one of the best beauty buys out there. This foundation is best used by those with lighter colored skin (there aren't as many deeper toned colors as their should be) who have skin that tends to be on the more oily side. I have dry skin and this definitely accentuated dry flaky patches. Some of this can be remedied by mixing in a few drops of oil or moisturizer. To be totally honest, I'm not a fan of how the finished product looks on my skin, but I cannot point precisely why, I think it just leaves a bit of an unnatural look. My more detailed review with swatches can be seen here:

I'm about NC25 with combination/oily skin. Skin texture is slightly bumpy with some pores and fine lines. I chose the serum foundation over coverage because for day to day wear, I usually prefer a lighter finish that just slightly cover my imperfections.

I purchased 1.2YG, which I initially found to be a bit too pale however, it did eventually oxidise quite a lot to suit my skin tone. I apply with a damped beauty blender and then set with brush/powder. The consistency of this foundation is more watery than the NYX total control drops and coverage is slightly lighter as well.

Unfortunately it didn't perform good enough; it settled into the lines underneath my nose and emphasised some dry patches on my lower cheeks/chin. On the oilier part of my face such as forehead/cheeks/nose, it kind of caked up over the skin, making my face look way greasier than it actually was. When I tried to blot it, it moved around and adhere to my blotting sheet.

For the price I paid I don't have super high expectation, but I just don't get the hype around it.

Texture : This is SUPER liquidy. If you shake up the bottle it sloshes around inside like it's full of just water. Going on the face it feels super light and not like you're wearing anything.

Coverage : The brand promises a light-medium coverage for this and I find this to be true - it reminded me strongly of the coverage of my NARS Radiant Tinted Moisturiser. I put on one layer of this and got a light coverage, enough to even out my skin tone but not enough to really cover up any pigmentation spots or blemishes.

Finish : It's semi-matte, true to description. It's not super shiny but not matte either, it's a natural-looking finish that looks very skin-like.

Shade : 2.0YG is ideal for my skintone. I do get the sense that this oxidises though, because when I initially put it on it looked much lighter than my skintone, and then once it settled in it matched me perfectly. I don't notice these "gold highlights" that the YG range of shades is meant to have.

Wear : I've heard of some people with oily skin liking this better than the Coverage Foundation, which is why I bought this. However I was really disappointed with the wear - the litmus test for me is how well a foundation holds up on my oily nose. I am a glasses wearer and am cursed with foundation either just disappearing off my nose or separating or caking there. I wore this with my trusty Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot Primer, L'Oreal Infallible Fixing Mist, and NYX HD Finishing Powder. Within 3 hours I found that the foundation had virtually disappeared from my nose and I felt like I had to blot less than 2 hours into wearing it. I can't excuse this just based off the fact that it's a lightweight foundation, as my NARS TM lasts incredibly well on my nose as does the L'Oreal True Match, which is also very light in texture.

Now here's the additional kicker : THIS THING BROKE ME OUT. I woke up today with a nice big new cystic pimple on my left cheek and some red little spots near my left eye, which I saw were developing yesterday when I took the foundation off. This is super upsetting since I'm still trying to fade the PIH spots from the two cystic acnes that sprung up a few weeks ago due to hormones. I did not try any other new products yesterday aside from this foundation, so I know that this is the culprit. I highly suspect this is due to the Coconut Alkanes in the foundation, which I know now doesn't agree at all with my skin.

Conclusion : 3/5. It's cheap, but aside from the shade range and temporary nice finish, I wasn't a fan of this at all. It didn't last well on my t-zone and gave me cystic acne. This is going back to the store and I'm going back to my NARS TM for light coverage.

Great price, texture and coverage......better coverage than one would expect from a serum foundation.
It's a shame that the same attention to detail that has gone into the formulation of the skincare lines in this company, has not gone into the undertone selection for the foundation line.
Example....if one labels a foundation P for pink undertones or R for red undertones, the result should not be orange......Very orange.
Not a good look on pink skin!
And it's a shame because this foundation has everything else going for it.
Love ya Deciem, but no. You can do better than this.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this in 1.2Y and 2.0N expecting to mix them since you have to buy them online without a swatch. I'm asian and have light skin because I avoid the sun lol, I found that the 1.2Y is quite yellow but this foundation is so sheer it blends out anyways, same thing with the neutral. It pulled pretty yellow but blends out nice. I like the sheer coverage and it lasts pretty well throughout the day. Works really well with the high spreadibility and the finish is pretty dewy. The pump is really nice too.