Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Brown

3.6

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am in the U.K and waited eagerly for 3 weeks for this foundation. I chose two colours and both shades were fine for me. Sadly, that is where it ends as the foundation itself was so disappointing. I have tried it twice, with and without primer and with my fingers and a beauty blender, both times, it just clings to pores and sits in any fine lines or dry areas I have. It also disappears in areas like my chin and around nose within a few hours. I do have dry skin, but find this needs a slight powder down in areas and I always lightly powder any foundation. I looked older and at 51, this is something I don't want to do. I don't think this likes being powdered as it quickly looked 'cakey' . It also doesn't take blusher or bronzer very well. I had to apply twice the amount I normally do, which was weird and I wonder if it's because it's full of silicones. I didn't feel "me" wearing it. I really didn't like it and as I knew I'd never wear it again, they're in the bin. Definitely over hyped. Back to my beloved other foundations.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

An initially very pretty, light coverage foundation that unfortunately could not handle my skin's oily or dry days. On either side of the spectrum, about 2 hours in, the foundation separated on my face, making me look like I had scales. It would either cling to every single semi-dry patch or the oil made it break up all over my face (even when set with powder). Its initial finish is really quite lovely, and I wish it worked better on me. Doesn't cover much, but offers a general evening out of the skintone. Won't do anything for serious discoloration. It also seemed to make my concealer cake more.

Bottle is fine. It doesn't look bad, but feels cheap (which, given the price of the foundation, shouldn't be surprising and is understandable). A luxe foundation this is not but, again, it's dirt cheap. I was pretty impressed with the shade range, but struggled to find an undertone that fit my mixed race skin. The pink tone was too pink and the yellow tone was too yellow.

Given its super light formula, the obvious OG comparison here is MAC Face & Body. F&B is...a lot better, with longer staying power and a really stunning finish. BUT I will say that if you have very normal skin, this does offer a more matte alternative than F&B's super glow and doesn't have as tacky a finish. It also has a slightly higher level of coverage.

If you have normal skin, this might work for you, but those with dry or (especially) oily skin, might not be a good option.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I don't hate it. I don't love it. It's a light- medium coverage depending on how you apply it. Brushes aren't the best idea because it streaks like crazy. It's very liquidy. It's dewy so will need to be set because it will slide all over. Although it's dewy, it somehow intensifies micro dry patches or skin texture. It sort of clings to it which doesn't look good. I have normal skin, but after 2 hours, it starts to slide around and transfer so easily. I have the shade 1.2 N and it oxidizes to be definitely darker and definitely not neutral in undertone like it should be. Almost pink leaning. Check my pictures added to see what I mean. For reference, my skin is NC15-20. Very neutral undertone though.

If you have nice skin and just want to even it out more while giving yourself a glow, this is ideal. If you rarely wear foundation but would like to have some around, best to have an affordable from The Ordinary.

Before and after look on my blemishes skin is shown in video and/or on my blog.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

SELECTED SHADE: 2.1Y
METHOD OF APPLICATION: sponge
SKIN TYPE: combination

PROS

- lightweight
- blends easily
- satin finish
- light to medium coverage

CONS

- doesn’t sit well on top of skin
- wears off quickly
- settles into fine lines

COMMENTS: Lightweight, satin finish foundation with light to medium coverage. Blends effortlessly. If you're anything other than dry, expect to blot. This will not control oil, nor does it claim to. My isssue with this is upon application, it immediately makes my skin look textured. It doesn’t sit well on top of the skin no matter what primer I use. It looks blotchy the moment I apply it. It also tends to wear off rather quickly, but a good setting spray will help this issue a lot (I use Blue Marble). It settles into my fine lines within a couple hours, as well. For the price, I suppose it could’ve been worse. It’s a pass for me, though.

Will not repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Shade: 2.0YG
Consistency: Very runny
Coverage: Medium leaning towards light
Finish: Semi-matte/matte

I initially really, really liked this foundation. It blends out very smoothly on the skin, and looks incredibly natural despite it drying down pretty matte. Could be the (extremely subtle) gold glitter that helps give my skin the added glow. The first few times I wore it out, I felt like it held up well and didn't crease or settle into lines as well.

However, I've started to notice that it oxidises throughout the day. It's a shame because the initial shade is spot on, but it gets greyer and duller as I go about my day. Because 2.0YG has yellow undertones, it seems like the yellow also intensifies, so my face eventually has a slight tint of sickliness to it. Not a good look lol. It also began to settle into my pores more, despite me not changing any of my skincare or complexion makeup. I read an older review on here that contains the exact same complaints, so I don't think it's just my foundation in particular being weird.

Right now, I mix it in with a BB cream that's a just little too light for me to wear alone (Klairs Illuminating BB), and the two look great together. Still, it's a shame the foundation doesn't work fine on its own.

So, when I first got this foundation, I really loved it. I tried it on right away, the shade was perfect, finish was suuuper natural, it evened out my redness really well, it just looked like my skin but a lot better. I even worked out in it and it wore off really naturally.
Now, it looks good right after i put it on but then when I get home after say, 3 hrs or more, it always looks cakey and separated. Sometimes even quicker.

I havent changed my skincare routine or anything else really, so I'm thinking maybe its the weather? It's gotten a lot hotter since I first got it, so maybe it doesnt react well to sweat or drinnes? I'm not sure, but I dont really like how it is rn. If I find out the reason or a solution I'll update. For now, 3 stars :(

This foundation clings to ALL of my dry patches and makes me look super cakey. I really wanted this to like because of how affordable it is :/

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The color matched my skin really well, but it certainly didn’t apply like a serum. It was extremely matte and drying to the skin. That said, it works a lot better once I moisturized with day cream. I wouldn’t repurchase because there are other foundations that don’t require moisturizer beforehand.

For seven dollars The Ordinary's Serum Foundation is one of the best beauty buys out there. This foundation is best used by those with lighter colored skin (there aren't as many deeper toned colors as their should be) who have skin that tends to be on the more oily side. I have dry skin and this definitely accentuated dry flaky patches. Some of this can be remedied by mixing in a few drops of oil or moisturizer. To be totally honest, I'm not a fan of how the finished product looks on my skin, but I cannot point precisely why, I think it just leaves a bit of an unnatural look. My more detailed review with swatches can be seen here:

I'm about NC25 with combination/oily skin. Skin texture is slightly bumpy with some pores and fine lines. I chose the serum foundation over coverage because for day to day wear, I usually prefer a lighter finish that just slightly cover my imperfections.

I purchased 1.2YG, which I initially found to be a bit too pale however, it did eventually oxidise quite a lot to suit my skin tone. I apply with a damped beauty blender and then set with brush/powder. The consistency of this foundation is more watery than the NYX total control drops and coverage is slightly lighter as well.

Unfortunately it didn't perform good enough; it settled into the lines underneath my nose and emphasised some dry patches on my lower cheeks/chin. On the oilier part of my face such as forehead/cheeks/nose, it kind of caked up over the skin, making my face look way greasier than it actually was. When I tried to blot it, it moved around and adhere to my blotting sheet.

For the price I paid I don't have super high expectation, but I just don't get the hype around it.