Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Brown

3.6

I'm about NC25 with combination/oily skin. Skin texture is slightly bumpy with some pores and fine lines. I chose the serum foundation over coverage because for day to day wear, I usually prefer a lighter finish that just slightly cover my imperfections.

I purchased 1.2YG, which I initially found to be a bit too pale however, it did eventually oxidise quite a lot to suit my skin tone. I apply with a damped beauty blender and then set with brush/powder. The consistency of this foundation is more watery than the NYX total control drops and coverage is slightly lighter as well.

Unfortunately it didn't perform good enough; it settled into the lines underneath my nose and emphasised some dry patches on my lower cheeks/chin. On the oilier part of my face such as forehead/cheeks/nose, it kind of caked up over the skin, making my face look way greasier than it actually was. When I tried to blot it, it moved around and adhere to my blotting sheet.

For the price I paid I don't have super high expectation, but I just don't get the hype around it.

HG foundation for me.

It has the consistency of water but has an impressive amount of coverage given how light it is. The result is semi-matte and very natural. It lasts a long while with minimal powdering. I would surely buy again and again!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I don't hate it. I don't love it. It's a light- medium coverage depending on how you apply it. Brushes aren't the best idea because it streaks like crazy. It's very liquidy. It's dewy so will need to be set because it will slide all over. Although it's dewy, it somehow intensifies micro dry patches or skin texture. It sort of clings to it which doesn't look good. I have normal skin, but after 2 hours, it starts to slide around and transfer so easily. I have the shade 1.2 N and it oxidizes to be definitely darker and definitely not neutral in undertone like it should be. Almost pink leaning. Check my pictures added to see what I mean. For reference, my skin is NC15-20. Very neutral undertone though.

If you have nice skin and just want to even it out more while giving yourself a glow, this is ideal. If you rarely wear foundation but would like to have some around, best to have an affordable from The Ordinary.

Before and after look on my blemishes skin is shown in video and/or on my blog.

Texture : This is SUPER liquidy. If you shake up the bottle it sloshes around inside like it's full of just water. Going on the face it feels super light and not like you're wearing anything.

Coverage : The brand promises a light-medium coverage for this and I find this to be true - it reminded me strongly of the coverage of my NARS Radiant Tinted Moisturiser. I put on one layer of this and got a light coverage, enough to even out my skin tone but not enough to really cover up any pigmentation spots or blemishes.

Finish : It's semi-matte, true to description. It's not super shiny but not matte either, it's a natural-looking finish that looks very skin-like.

Shade : 2.0YG is ideal for my skintone. I do get the sense that this oxidises though, because when I initially put it on it looked much lighter than my skintone, and then once it settled in it matched me perfectly. I don't notice these "gold highlights" that the YG range of shades is meant to have.

Wear : I've heard of some people with oily skin liking this better than the Coverage Foundation, which is why I bought this. However I was really disappointed with the wear - the litmus test for me is how well a foundation holds up on my oily nose. I am a glasses wearer and am cursed with foundation either just disappearing off my nose or separating or caking there. I wore this with my trusty Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot Primer, L'Oreal Infallible Fixing Mist, and NYX HD Finishing Powder. Within 3 hours I found that the foundation had virtually disappeared from my nose and I felt like I had to blot less than 2 hours into wearing it. I can't excuse this just based off the fact that it's a lightweight foundation, as my NARS TM lasts incredibly well on my nose as does the L'Oreal True Match, which is also very light in texture.

Now here's the additional kicker : THIS THING BROKE ME OUT. I woke up today with a nice big new cystic pimple on my left cheek and some red little spots near my left eye, which I saw were developing yesterday when I took the foundation off. This is super upsetting since I'm still trying to fade the PIH spots from the two cystic acnes that sprung up a few weeks ago due to hormones. I did not try any other new products yesterday aside from this foundation, so I know that this is the culprit. I highly suspect this is due to the Coconut Alkanes in the foundation, which I know now doesn't agree at all with my skin.

Conclusion : 3/5. It's cheap, but aside from the shade range and temporary nice finish, I wasn't a fan of this at all. It didn't last well on my t-zone and gave me cystic acne. This is going back to the store and I'm going back to my NARS TM for light coverage.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I read a review in Cosmopolitan magazine about this cheap but wonderful foundation that had sold out, and could not wait to try it.

I ordered the serum foundations in the color of 3.2R. I was skeptic due to me having very oily skin. After I washed my face with the Ole Henrickson balance line, and applied my Bare Minerals primer I tried it out.

The color is amazing. It matches my skin so beautifully. I blended it on with my fingers, and my skin began to glow. I applied it around 8:00 a.m. and by 8:00 p.m. my skin still looked flawless. This was the best $6.70 cents I spent.

Needless to say I ordered 2 more bottles today. You never know when they may run out again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love the ordinary foundations. I have both The coverage and serum. I don't put primer i just moisturize my face well.it last all day for me and it gives me a healthy look. I have dry sensitive skin.with some redness and it covers well. I do set my face with very little powder and then spray it with my Mario Budescu facial mist. FYI the coverage Foundation does oxide so get a lighter color.

Great price, texture and coverage......better coverage than one would expect from a serum foundation.
It's a shame that the same attention to detail that has gone into the formulation of the skincare lines in this company, has not gone into the undertone selection for the foundation line.
Example....if one labels a foundation P for pink undertones or R for red undertones, the result should not be orange......Very orange.
Not a good look on pink skin!
And it's a shame because this foundation has everything else going for it.
Love ya Deciem, but no. You can do better than this.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

SELECTED SHADE: 2.1Y (NC37 for reference)
METHOD OF APPLICATION: sponge
SKIN TYPE: combination

PROS

- lightweight
- blends easily
- satin finish

CONS

- settles into fine lines
- breaks up

COMMENTS: Lightweight, satin finish foundation with sheer coverage. Looks very natural on and blends effortlessly. If you're anything other than dry, expect to blot. This will not control oil, nor does it claim to. However, mixing some translucent loose powder into this will alter the formula. It gives more coverage and help control oil a little better. Two things I can’t seem to fix, though: it settles into fine lines rather quickly and tends to break up pretty badly throughout the day. It’s a formula I can’t wear for very long before it starts to look bad, whether worn on its own or using the method mentioned.

Will not repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this in 1.2Y and 2.0N expecting to mix them since you have to buy them online without a swatch. I'm asian and have light skin because I avoid the sun lol, I found that the 1.2Y is quite yellow but this foundation is so sheer it blends out anyways, same thing with the neutral. It pulled pretty yellow but blends out nice. I like the sheer coverage and it lasts pretty well throughout the day. Works really well with the high spreadibility and the finish is pretty dewy. The pump is really nice too.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I finally received my foundation yesterday and couldn't wait to try it out!
In the last few years my skin has changed a lot mainly due to hormonal changes, and I now rarely use foundation because I find it can make my face look greasy and my pores look enlarged. If I do use a base, it's MAC Studiofix. I like the finish of a liquid foundation though; The Ordinary's foundations have had such great reviews that I thought they were worth trying at the price.
Yesterday was incredibly warm so a good day to really put this product to the test. I used it over Clinique's DDML and La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF 50; no primer.
Apparently each of The Ordinary's shades suit a range of about three skin shades, and the Wayne Goss comparison guide online says this shade is suitable for MAC NC30 to NC42. I'm MAC C40 and my Ordinary shade, 2.1Y (Medium with yellow undertones) matched my skin very well.
I used one pump applied with Real Techniques' Expert Face Brush (as recommended by Sali Hughes of The Guardian) all over my face. Perfect application, and my skin looked completely flawless. To my eyes the coverage was medium-to-full rather than sheer, but I think one pump was too much. As a serum formulation it worked very well with my BB Serum Concealer. I set the lot with Clinique loose powder in Invisible Blend, and went about my day.
I spent some time in a very hot car driving in the sun and generally outdoors. A few hours later my face looked slightly dewy but the foundation hadn't broken up on my forehead and my pores looked OK. 8 hours after application it did look a little worse for wear, but it had been very hot and I hadn't repowdered all day. My face looked darker at the end of the day; not sure if that was the product oxidizing or if I'd caught some sun.
I'll experiment with less product, over primer, etc. and update accordingly, but at this early stage I think this is an excellent product and am very pleased with my purchase. I also love the price! I'd rather spend £6 than £30 on a product I might only use twice a month.