Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium

2.9

Highly pigmented, a little goes a long way and it is very easy to apply and provides great coverage.

I do not wear foundation on a daily basis. Only on certain occasions (weddings and other events that go on all day) will I wear foundation to keep shine at bay. This product is fine for those purposes and very affordable, but I won’t be repurchasing because without fail I will end up with clogged pores and minor breakouts (whiteheads and blackheads) the next day. Nothing so bad that I can’t manage it since I use it so rarely, but I would never use this everyday.

When travelling I recommend taping the top to secure it in the “closed” position as I’ve found the product tends to leak because the cap isn’t very secure and can easily be turned to “open” inside your make up bag.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Shade: 2.0YG
Consistency: Very runny
Coverage: Medium leaning towards light
Finish: Semi-matte/matte

I initially really, really liked this foundation. It blends out very smoothly on the skin, and looks incredibly natural despite it drying down pretty matte. Could be the (extremely subtle) gold glitter that helps give my skin the added glow. The first few times I wore it out, I felt like it held up well and didn't crease or settle into lines as well.

However, I've started to notice that it oxidises throughout the day. It's a shame because the initial shade is spot on, but it gets greyer and duller as I go about my day. Because 2.0YG has yellow undertones, it seems like the yellow also intensifies, so my face eventually has a slight tint of sickliness to it. Not a good look lol. It also began to settle into my pores more, despite me not changing any of my skincare or complexion makeup. I read an older review on here that contains the exact same complaints, so I don't think it's just my foundation in particular being weird.

Right now, I mix it in with a BB cream that's a just little too light for me to wear alone (Klairs Illuminating BB), and the two look great together. Still, it's a shame the foundation doesn't work fine on its own.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I found a review claiming this to be an excellent foundation . I wasted $6 A complete let down. It has some coverage to it but wears off fast .I used a primer I applied this foundation with a brush.It is very greasy/oily and made my chin bumpy looking . After 2 hours it had settled into my light crows feet making them look worse than ever .If you have mature skin and any fine line warning it makes them worse. Also I noticed that it turned my face orange after it set I got a color with yellow undertones because I thought it would prevent the orange but no such luck

For seven dollars The Ordinary's Serum Foundation is one of the best beauty buys out there. This foundation is best used by those with lighter colored skin (there aren't as many deeper toned colors as their should be) who have skin that tends to be on the more oily side. I have dry skin and this definitely accentuated dry flaky patches. Some of this can be remedied by mixing in a few drops of oil or moisturizer. To be totally honest, I'm not a fan of how the finished product looks on my skin, but I cannot point precisely why, I think it just leaves a bit of an unnatural look. My more detailed review with swatches can be seen here:

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lovely dewy finish, but my skin HATED it. My skin is now red, angry and flaky - having to use just E45 and bio oil on it at the moment. From reading up, it could be the coconut alkanes in it. Really surprised as I don’t have particularly sensitive skin. Perricone MD is the only other foundation that made me break out.

If you can choose the right colour online and your skin can tolerate it, it’s a great buy - but not for me!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say I do not understand the rave reviews. Firstly - while it’s cheap, you don’t get a lot of product for your money, putting it at about the same price as high street foundations. It markets itself as very lightweight and this may be true if you have very young skin but I do not find it to be so on my skin. I am in my 30s and while I have no proper lines or wrinkles I have very fine lines across my forehead. This sits in them terribly and really makes me look old. Not good! Compared to (yes a v high end) but still lightweight foundation like a ysl cushion foundation, I’d rather pay the money instead of looking older than I am

Well, I have oily dehydrated flaky skin. Even though I set it with a mattifying powder, I still became a oil slick within a few hours. Coverage is decent. Natural, nah not really. I generally prefer powder foundations so would stick to that instead!

I'm about NC25 with combination/oily skin. Skin texture is slightly bumpy with some pores and fine lines. I chose the serum foundation over coverage because for day to day wear, I usually prefer a lighter finish that just slightly cover my imperfections.

I purchased 1.2YG, which I initially found to be a bit too pale however, it did eventually oxidise quite a lot to suit my skin tone. I apply with a damped beauty blender and then set with brush/powder. The consistency of this foundation is more watery than the NYX total control drops and coverage is slightly lighter as well.

Unfortunately it didn't perform good enough; it settled into the lines underneath my nose and emphasised some dry patches on my lower cheeks/chin. On the oilier part of my face such as forehead/cheeks/nose, it kind of caked up over the skin, making my face look way greasier than it actually was. When I tried to blot it, it moved around and adhere to my blotting sheet.

For the price I paid I don't have super high expectation, but I just don't get the hype around it.

HG foundation for me.

It has the consistency of water but has an impressive amount of coverage given how light it is. The result is semi-matte and very natural. It lasts a long while with minimal powdering. I would surely buy again and again!

Texture : This is SUPER liquidy. If you shake up the bottle it sloshes around inside like it's full of just water. Going on the face it feels super light and not like you're wearing anything.

Coverage : The brand promises a light-medium coverage for this and I find this to be true - it reminded me strongly of the coverage of my NARS Radiant Tinted Moisturiser. I put on one layer of this and got a light coverage, enough to even out my skin tone but not enough to really cover up any pigmentation spots or blemishes.

Finish : It's semi-matte, true to description. It's not super shiny but not matte either, it's a natural-looking finish that looks very skin-like.

Shade : 2.0YG is ideal for my skintone. I do get the sense that this oxidises though, because when I initially put it on it looked much lighter than my skintone, and then once it settled in it matched me perfectly. I don't notice these "gold highlights" that the YG range of shades is meant to have.

Wear : I've heard of some people with oily skin liking this better than the Coverage Foundation, which is why I bought this. However I was really disappointed with the wear - the litmus test for me is how well a foundation holds up on my oily nose. I am a glasses wearer and am cursed with foundation either just disappearing off my nose or separating or caking there. I wore this with my trusty Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot Primer, L'Oreal Infallible Fixing Mist, and NYX HD Finishing Powder. Within 3 hours I found that the foundation had virtually disappeared from my nose and I felt like I had to blot less than 2 hours into wearing it. I can't excuse this just based off the fact that it's a lightweight foundation, as my NARS TM lasts incredibly well on my nose as does the L'Oreal True Match, which is also very light in texture.

Now here's the additional kicker : THIS THING BROKE ME OUT. I woke up today with a nice big new cystic pimple on my left cheek and some red little spots near my left eye, which I saw were developing yesterday when I took the foundation off. This is super upsetting since I'm still trying to fade the PIH spots from the two cystic acnes that sprung up a few weeks ago due to hormones. I did not try any other new products yesterday aside from this foundation, so I know that this is the culprit. I highly suspect this is due to the Coconut Alkanes in the foundation, which I know now doesn't agree at all with my skin.

Conclusion : 3/5. It's cheap, but aside from the shade range and temporary nice finish, I wasn't a fan of this at all. It didn't last well on my t-zone and gave me cystic acne. This is going back to the store and I'm going back to my NARS TM for light coverage.